Found

A Second Chance - The Story

A smirk came over Sehun’s lips, “I was kidding. Don’t get so worked up.” Then slapping his shoulder, “Now don’t forget to hand those out for me, all right? I’ll see you later.” Sehun started toward the door. Before heading out he turned back to wave. When the door safely closed Chanyeol let out a sigh of relief, but for some reason was filled with insane guilt. His eyes fluttered around the now empty kitchen before reluctantly landing on the paper Sehun just handed him.

*****

Namjoo strained her eyes on the door, praying Sehun wouldn’t stay long. She didn’t want Soo Ae to wake up, know that he was here. As soon as the thought traveled her way Soo Ae stirred from where she was sleeping.

“Mommy?” she croaked. Hurrying over, Namjoo leaned over her daughter pressing a finger to her lips to hush her.

“Uncle Yeol has an important guest,” Namjoo whispered, “lets be quiet, hmm?” Soo Ae stared back at her with her large eyes and without further inquiry, nodded. Smiling, Namjoo put her arm around her, rubbing her back. They sat quietly, part of her aware that they were in slight danger because they were so close to Sehun. She suddenly wanted to know why Chanyeol hadn’t given them away. Why…had he decided to keep quiet about them?

She turned when the door opened and Chanyeol appeared. “He’s gone now.”

Climbing down from the bed Soo Ae sleepily greeted Chanyeol, “Uncle, who is your friend? Why did he come over?”

“Go wash up, Soo Ae,” Namjoo urged and watched her daughter escape through the gap between Chanyeol and the door frame. When she was gone she stepped out, Chanyeol followed. Everything was still in place in the kitchen. Part of her wondered if Sehun noticed, had said anything about it. Or would he just assume Chanyeol was expecting guests?

“What did he say?” she asked.

“Nothing,” Chanyeol lied, “just talk…you know about work and a reminder about helping him move.”

Namjoo ran his words over, assuring herself Chanyeol wouldn’t lie to her. Besides, he had no reason to lie to her – she wanted to believe that. Turning to look at him, “Why…haven’t you told Sehun about us?”

“I’m not a snitch,” was his reply. “Plus, you asked me not to.”

*****

By all means, with Sehun’s appearance that morning and those papers he wanted him to give out only meant he was desperate…and that he really missed his small family. Namjoo and Soo Ae who were safe under his roof, would they ever go back to Sehun of their own accord? And if they went, how would he resume his regular life of solitude?

He liked Namjoo near him. Waking up to her in the kitchen was a precious surprise. Being greeted by Soo Ae gave him fluttering warmth. There was always someone to greet him in the morning, tell him to get to work safe, and welcome him back home. In the evenings, instead of laying back on the couch with nothing to do there was always something to do with Namjoo and Soo Ae. Within a matter of a few days they’d also become his family. Was he to blame for opening his arms and welcoming them into his home?

Probably, he reasoned. He was slightly aware that Namjoo had no attraction toward him, even if she shared things with him, remained patient and kind with him, she was, after all, the one woman Sehun was into.

She didn’t blame Sehun for anything, she said, and she didn’t blame him because she loved him and she understood and believed in him. They were few things she hadn’t said, but if Namjoo wasn’t in love with Sehun she would daringly face him head on instead of hiding out like this. Chanyeol knew that all too well.

He parked his car by the side of the street and stared up at the apartment building, built up from the ground headstrong. Sehun was more of a frugal person compared to him, but Chanyeol hadn’t expected such a top studio building to be the new home chosen by his friend. The very moment he clambered out of his car, Sehun called out his name from a truck currently unloading his belongings.

It took almost an hour and a half for all four men to carry up everything to Sehun’s fifth level extravagant studio, which appeared to have been carved right out of a magazine. Large boxes remained scattered all over the plywood floor. There was much remaining empty space to fill up before it would start to feel like home.

“Why do you have so many things?” Chanyeol panted upon sitting by a box. “You a pack rat or something?” A few steps away Sehun busily sorted out fresh towels and necessities for the kitchen onto the low coffee table given to him as a present by the last homeowners.

“Careful with that box,” Sehun glanced over before returning to work.

Chanyeol snorted, amused. “You look like some hardworking housewife, Sir.”

A tiny smile appeared on Sehun’s lips. “I should be working hard. Hard work pays off.”

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow before turning around to glance at the box he was leaning against. There was no marking on it. “So what’s in here?”

Once more glancing over, “My daughter’s toys.” My daughter…Chanyeol let the words register in his brain before turning to peer at the box, as if it’d transformed into some person.

“You brought their stuff too?”

“I should, this is going to be their home,” Sehun stated then suddenly sounded sad, “Namjoo’s never really had a home.” Chanyeol watched his friend turn to look around, as if he was picturing his family happily walking around, exploring their new home. “I want this place to be her home. I just hope…wherever she is right now, that she’s safe and happy.”

Unable to keep his eyes on his friend, Chanyeol stood up to walk over to the high window. Streets bustled with life and people looked like ants even from five levels up.

They are well, Chanyeol wanted to tell Sehun, Namjoo and Soo Ae are both healthy and well. Soo Ae is becoming more active again. They’re well.

When he returned to the apartment it was awfully quiet. Walking further in revealed to him Namjoo asleep on the couch and Soo Ae probably taking another nap after breakfast. He realized that since the accident, Namjoo had been urging the little girl to sleep more as if it would heal her up faster. Chanyeol thought it was an excuse to escape the cruel world Namjoo knew so well.

For a sleeper, Namjoo didn’t budge when he kneeled down by the couch, his knees cracking along the way. Serenity was what he’d describe this moment in time. Peace, beauty, and serenity. His eyes – that of an admirer’s – traced over Namjoo’s imperfect face, devouring all her features because he didn’t think he would come into such close contact with her again.

Placing his arms around her, hands clutching onto the couch he narrowly leaned forward. Just a little closer, he begged, with his heart pounding madly. Namjoo’s lips were chapped, but they appeared soft and endearing, even enchanting. What they tasted like, how they felt like against a man’s lips, Chanyeol was curious.

Guilt pulled him back, screaming no. Desire screamed yes. Pursing his lips together, he gulped. Namjoo shifted in her sleep and his lips, just a breadth away, instinctively followed desperately. Tightening his grip on the couch he gave in and dropped onto the floor. Leaning against the couch defeated he buried his face into his palms.

Again, he wondered, if it was him who had gone out to find Namjoo and the daughter everyone assumed was Sehun’s – how would their situation be right now? Would he have cared enough to bring them back to the city? Even if he offered, would Namjoo had come? Or would she have chosen to stay in Muju? Had Namjoo…all along been swayed by Sehun?

Chanyeol hung his head back and turned when soft footsteps approached. Soo Ae’s hair was a wild mess and her eyes poofy from much sleep, but she was wide awake. After grabbing her a fresh cup of milk Chanyeol helped straighten out her hair.

“Daddy used to do this for me,” Soo Ae shared. “He used to comb my hair before I go to sleep, too and he always told me to brush my hair before I go to sleep or else they wake up tangled. Mommy forgets to brush my hair now. I forget too.”

“Is that so?” Chanyeol asked setting the brush aside. “You’re suddenly talking about your dad.”

Soo Ae stared at Chanyeol before saying, “Did daddy come this morning?” Chanyeol slightly raised his brow in surprise.

“How did you know?”

“Mommy always has this look in her eyes when daddy is near,” Soo Ae explained. “And Uncle doesn’t have many friends.”

“Hey.” Chanyeol said before poking her. She recoiled back before giggling. After calming down Chanyeol told, “You know your daddy loves you two a lot. He wouldn’t give you two up for anything.” He noticed how Soo Ae’s eyes turned slightly sad, but still managed to put on a bright smile.

She was a liar, like her mother.

Scooting his chair forward Chanyeol asked, “Do you remember when you stayed with me for the first time?” The little girl nodded. “You said without you your parents would be able to be happy, didn’t you?” This time, silence. Leaning forward, Chanyeol spoke soothingly, “Your parents got married in hopes of giving you a happy life. They wouldn’t do that if they didn’t love you, but they still turned out happy thanks to you. Isn’t that right?”

“But I couldn’t do anything for them. Mommy and daddy always got yelled at,” Soo Ae tried to stubbornly hold back her tears, but they forced their way through when she said, “mommy got hit because of me. It was my fault.”

“Soo Ae did nothing wrong. She didn’t have to run away. She’s only five years old! But now I have to ask myself, why did I have to get married? Why did I put us in this situation? All along, we’ve survived without anyone. When there was no Sehun, we were still happy. Soo Ae can still live without a father. We didn’t need Sehun nor did I have to bring my daughter to a place where she was constantly attacked and unappreciated, where she had to watch her mother get pushed around. Soo Ae didn’t need to cope with that! But she saw and she took responsibility.”

“Do you want to hear a story?” Chanyeol asked as Soo Ae re-gathered herself. “When I was just a little older than you, my parents filed for a divorce. I thought to myself, was it because I wasn’t good enough? Because I couldn’t make them happy? Was I not a good son? And I blamed myself.”

“You did?”

Chanyeol nodded, “But then, you know what I realized a few years later?”

“What?” she sniffed.

“That it had nothing to do with me,” Chanyeol told, “so Soo Ae, here’s one thing I know. Your mom and dad, they love each other even when they’re having a hard time, but what happened is not because of you. It’s not your fault. Do you understand that?”

Soo Ae nodded and Chanyeol smiled before gently rubbing her head.

“Good, then don’t cry anymore.”

“Uncle Yeol, is that why you’re lonely?” Soo Ae asked. “Because your mommy and daddy are divorced?”

“I’m too big to be lonely,” Chanyeol his chest out and crossed his arms. Soo Ae laughed before leaning over to hug him.

“I can be your friend Uncle Yeol, then we’ll never be lonely.”

His heart…fluttered with so much warmth.

*****

Chanyeol took them out as promised for dinner. They went to a buffet where they ate till their stomachs burst then stopped shortly at a playground where they watched Soo Ae play with the other kids. The sun was just starting to set, turning the sky into shades of orange and pink prettily rolling over the hills into the beyond.

“Sehun was right,” Chanyeol started from out of nowhere. They’d been silently sitting on a bench overlooking the children at play. Her eyes sat steadily on her daughter. “When he told me Soo Ae was a smart kid, I didn’t quite believe him.”

“So you think he’s right?” Namjoo felt amused. Her daughter was an intelligent one. Any parent always claimed their children as geniuses.

“He’s right,” Chanyeol nodded then turned to her, “so you should also be careful what you do around her.”

She shot him a frown, wondering if he was giving her a warning or if he was just joking. Chanyeol didn’t take to explaining himself. Stretching his arms out and folding them behind his head he leaned back.

“I’m jealous,” Chanyeol commented, “you got such a good kid who even looks out for you at this age. It makes me want a kid now, too.”

“Strange hearing that from you,” Namjoo remarked. “I haven’t heard you talk about family before.”

Chanyeol shrugged. “I don’t believe in love.” He turned to look at her for her reaction. “Man falls for woman, woman falls for man. They get married, how long can they last before it’s already over?”

“Are you talking about me?”

A smirk appeared on his face, “Except you and Sehun didn’t marry out of love. I’m just saying, relationships always have a fifty-percent chance of failing if something’s not right. That’s why I don’t believe love exists, but a kid like Soo Ae makes all the difference. Imagine how happy she’d be if you and Sehun had made it.”

Namjoo glanced at Chanyeol without adding anything before he suddenly got up to run toward the swings, calling Soo Ae to join him. For some reason, she felt sad…and bitter.

That night she was unable to sleep and lay awake watching Soo Ae in dreamland. As she shifted in bed and stared up at the ceiling she gently pounded her chest, wondering why she felt so clogged up.

*****

The house was barely organized, but Sehun had gotten a good night’s sleep. When he woke up he immediately had cereal and stared at the content of the papers with Namjoo and Soo Ae’s faces plastered on it. It would be even better if they were having breakfast together under their new roof.

He suddenly wondered if he might get a faster reply if he added a reward. There might be fake calls regarding Namjoo and Soo Ae’s whereabouts, but he was sure it was all worth it. Deciding on it he finished the rest of his breakfast then started off toward Chanyeol’s. Sehun suddenly missed human company. Often times there had been Namjoo beside him or Soo Ae running to and fro. Suddenly he was all alone. Without anyone. Chanyeol, his friend, should at least keep him company, even if it was for an hour or so. Anyway, Chanyeol needed to know about this new reward he’d thought of.

*****

“Mommy, I’ve decided that Uncle Yeol and I are going to be best friends from now on,” Soo Ae told her from where she was sitting at the table.

“You and who?” she turned around from the stove to stare at her daughter.

“Uncle Yeol, Tall Uncle,” Soo Ae repeated. “I really like him, mommy.”

“That’s nice, Soo Ae, but you’re a little young for that stuff. Friend-slash-friend is what you mean, right?”

Soo Ae stared back at her with a slight glare. “You don’t understand because you don’t even care about him.”

“Oh, Soo Ae.”

“But mommy, don’t you think Uncle Yeol is pretty cool, too?” Soo Ae asked. “I think he’s really cool.”

Namjoo made a face at Soo Ae, wondering if Soo Ae was developing a crush on Chanyeol or something. All morning all she’d heard from Soo Ae’s mouth was Chaneyol this or Chanyeol that. Exactly when had they gotten so close?

The doorbell rang and they turned to stare at it. Wondering if Chanyeol was back from buying eggs she said, “Soo Ae, go open the door for the uncle you love so much.”

Soo Ae made a face at her, but hurried toward the door to unlock it. When she stumbled back with a slight gasp Namjoo turned away from the stove, her eyes widening when she spotted Sehun in the doorway, his face contorted with shock and surprise.

“Daddy…” Soo Ae merely gasped. Namjoo’s feet glued her into spot as Sehun swung his whole attention from her daughter to her. That was when the papers scattered from his hand onto the floor before he took two large strides toward her.

“What are you doing here?” he took her arm. Namjo’s insides screamed. Her eyes scanned the room for an excuse to come up with before Sehun shook her. When her eyes finally slid to meet with his, all he managed from the relief, disappointment, and despair in his eyes were, “Lets go home.”

Suddenly awake, Namjoo pulled her arm away, switched the stove off. Walking past him she stopped by Soo Ae. “We’re not married anymore, Sehun. I don’t have to listen to you.”

This time when Sehun spun around to face her his eyes flared with determination and anger. “You think I would turn in the divorce papers you left behind? I ripped them up and shredded them! Are you going to bring me new ones with your signature on it? You should have thought of what I’d do with them when you left. No matter where you are or what you do, you are still my wife under law!”

Namjoo fought to remain despicably calm. “No. I call the shots this time. It’s over.”

“Namjoo!” Sehun raised his voice, was even urged to stomp his feet against the floor in his helplessness. Then he turned to Soo Ae. His daughter always sided with him. If she left with him, Namjoo would only have to follow.

“Soo Ae, lets go home, huh? Don’t you want to come home with daddy?”

Namjoo felt fear soar through her when she glanced down at Soo Ae. She loved Sehun. She always loved Sehun, that even after getting to know him she forgot all about Tao. If Sehun offered something she would take it without a second of hesitation. She trust him that much, looked up to him that much. Everything had always been Sehun for her.

Her heart barely collapsed when Soo Ae clutched onto her leg. “I’m staying with mommy.”

Namjoo’s heart broke seeing the pain on Sehun’s expression, but god…she was so relieved. Placing her hands on Soo Ae she held her close for both security and comfort. It didn’t matter where Sehun was as long as her little girl was with her the whole way.

“Why’d you leave the door open…” Chanyeol’s voice flowed through the thin air, pausing two steps in when he spotted Sehun standing in the middle of his kitchen. The whole room suddenly spun around as Sehun shifted to stare at his friend then turned back to look at Namjoo.

Silence became like a tsunami threatening to break loose. Moving smoothly Sehun watched with building anger at the betrayal as Chanyeol placed grocery onto the table.

“Lets go talk outside,” Sehun ordered through gritted teeth and turned back once to shoot her a long stare before walking out.

“It’ll be ok,” Chanyeol assured before turning to follow Sehun then closed the door after him. Namjoo was still unable to breathe, even when the guys were gone. She couldn’t forget the way Sehun had stared at her with all his emotions surging through his eyes. He was so angry with her. She’d never known Sehun to be angry before. 


***Chanyeol and Soo Ae though ;;