Effort For Who?

A Second Chance - The Story

*****

A busy crowd quickly infiltrated the terminal when Tao stepped through the glassy doors. Above all the black heads he couldn't find sight of Namjoo as he pulled his way through. The voices were loud and conversations boomed from every corner. Shoulders shoved him as bodies passed by. When he neared the clearing where a dense pack of people were sitting around or talking on their phones he finally spotted Namjoo sitting among them.

"Namjoo!" He quickly called for her. 

Upon hearing her name she turned and smiled. As he made his way over she quickly got up to greet him. 

"What's with the huge suitcase?" Tilting her head she peered at the suitcase excessive in size. 

Tao laughed embarrassed, "Food." 

"Food?" Namjoo frowned. 

"Mom wanted to give you some," he explained. "Did you eat? I'm starving." 

"I'm not hungry," she replied, "but I could go for some coffee. There's a café nearby, lets go there." 

The sun hit them once they walked out of the building and the noise of voices quickly transitioned to that of honking horns and loud buses. Namjoo led him down the clear path to his right where the yard of a business building was shielded by short hedges. As they neared a quick squirrel zipped down the wall and up a skinny tree. 

"Where's Soo Ae?" Tao finally wondered, realizing he hadn't heard the young girl shouting for him. 

"Daycare." 

"Oh...I see." 

"How was the harvest? Did your mom have a lot?" 

"The usual," Tao nodded, "we lost some basil leaves because of the rough winds, but it's not too bad of a loss." 

"That's not too bad," she commented before pointing to a brown tinted window, "the café's here. Lets go in." 

Once he grabbed what he wanted and Namjoo her coffee, they found a pleasant seat in the corner underneath a dim yellow light. The radio had been turned off that afternoon and lazy customers sat scattered around the room, some around, some sunken in their chairs and others on their laptops.

Unwrapping his sandwich he slightly lowered his head to gaze at her, "Haven't been sleeping? You look sort of tired." 

"Do I?" Namjoo asked and touched her face. "Maybe I should get a face mask." 

"When will Soo Ae be starting school? That girl is growing up really fast." 

"When summer ends she'll be attending," Namjoo replied. "She seems all prepared to venture outside." 

Tao laughed lightheartedly. "Feels like she was a baby just yesterday." 

To this she just nodded. She didn't seem energetic as her usual self, but kind of lifeless, glum. 

"Should we go pick Soo Ae up after this?" He asked trying to perk her up from whatever may be bothering her. 

From the way he knew Namjoo, she was always conservative and considerate putting her daughter first and making sure there was always food to feed her. Even though times had been hard for them she never forgot to smile and remain positive. Tao had felt as if all the positive energy had rubbed off on Soo Ae because he barely ever saw her throw a fit outside of their home. 

"Her dad will get her." Namjoo spoke the words so easily that they didn't seem to mean anything to her at all. 

Something loud exploded inside his head while he watched Namjoo lift the coffee up to her lips. 

"Dad?" He repeated loudly. 

"Yes." 

His eyes enlarged the longer he stared at her. 

"I'm," she started, "getting married."

The news was so shocking Tao didn't know how to react. 

"To who?" 

"Sehun," Namjoo told and when he didn't seem to get it she explained, "you met him before. Soo Ae called him Uncle Se-Se." 

Of course he knew that much...but all of a sudden...

"He isn't Soo Ae's dad," Tao shook his head. "This isn't right." 

Namjoo stared at him in a way as if she'd just been offended. 

"He isn't Soo Ae's real dad, so why are you marrying him?" Tao pressed on objectively. "I mean, I know you two dated back in high school, but now isn't the same as then. Do you even love him? Does he love you? You know marriage isn't something you can easily undo. Plus, if things don't work out and you become a divorcee things will just get worse." 

The expression of a child who knew she did wrong, but wouldn't apologize sat very still on Namjoo's expression.

"For me it doesn't matter," she calmly spoke, "Soo Ae likes him a lot."

"That's all?" 

Namjoo didn't look a bit swayed by his opinion, "I never thought about how she felt. Everyday at the daycare she must have felt sad seeing fathers come to pick up their children. She doesn't talk about it because she feels like it'll burden me. The other day she asked me why she doesn't have a father; she's been good, but why doesn't she have a father like everyone else? I felt awful when I heard that. It made me realize I may look like I have been doing everything for her, but I haven't. It's a mask to keep myself comfortable." 

"You can't just get married for your daughter's sake," Tao reasoned with atrocity. "It doesn't work like that. If you're going to get married, go find her real father. I'm sure you know where he is." 

"I don't." She shook her head. 

Unable to withhold his strong emotions of opposition he let out a loud repressed sigh. "Instead of Soo Ae, think of yourself for once. Do something for yourself. Please, Namjoo. If you don't love the guy, don't marry him. It's as easy as that." 

"I already met his parents. The way his father looked at her...he really likes her." Namjoo told as if to tell him she couldn't and wouldn't back out. "I grew up without a father. I had a mother but she was never around for me. The hopeless loneliness I had to grow up with...I don't want Soo Ae to go through that. If she could grow up surrounded with family I won't need anything else."  

Tao was speechless. He knew how she felt and could see where she was coming from, but she was throwing herself away. All her desires, her life, her freedom and he didn't like it.  

"There's still time to think it through, isn't there?" He asked. "I just want the best for you, so as a friend I'm asking you to think it over. You had a really hard time in Muju and I don't want you to live through difficulties the rest of your life. Think of yourself for once." 

It was later than expected when Namjoo returned home. The moment she opened the door she heard Soo Ae laughing. A board game was sprawled on the ground between her and Sehun and he'd obviously just made a losing turn.  

"You're back?" Instead of her daughter Sehun was first to greet.  

"Yea," turning away from the sight she placed the bags of veggies and fruits Tao's mother had given them onto the counter.  

"What's that? Did you go somewhere?" He asked curious.

"I met Tao for a bit." Namjoo pulled open the fridge and first noticed that it was fuller compared to yesterday, which meant Sehun had done some shopping. Ignoring it she set herself to storing away the goods. 

"Tao Tao?" Soo Ae finally turned away from the game board. "I want to see Tao Tao too! Mommy why didn't you wait for me?"

"You can see him next time," Namjoo replied.  

"Did you two go somewhere?" Sehun wondered. "You were gone for a while."  

After shoving a drawer close she stared at the cups of yogurt stacked on a shelf, "He was hungry, so I took him to eat."

"Oh...really?" Namjoo couldn’t tell whether he was really interested or not nor could she detect any feelings coming from her to him or from him to her. 

Finally shutting the fridge door she turned around and halted when she noticed the pot of soup on the stove. 

"Soo Ae, want to put the game away?" Sehun asked. "Since your mommy's home, lets eat." 

"Ok!" 

"I bought it from the store, so don't worry about it being inedible," Sehun assured walking over. "Go sit down. I'll bring the food out." 

Before she could protest he already grabbed some bowls and spoons. Deciding against saying anything she let him do as he liked and made her way into the living room. From the table she watched Soo Ae diligently clean up. With one look Namjoo could tell she was livelier, bubblier than the past few days. It relaxed her, but her heart felt clogged. She couldn't breathe without a heaviness on her chest. 

"Mommy!" Soo Ae jumped onto the chair beside her and leaned over to press herself against her arm. 

Pulling on a smile Namjoo ran a hand over her hair and watched Soo Ae tilt her head back to shoot her a broad grin. 

Yes, Namjoo could see that she'd made the right choice. Soo Ae was happy. 

Namjoo turned when Sehun began setting the table and finally joined them. 

"Come on, Soo Ae. Eat up," he urged. 

"Yes, daddy." 

Tightening her grip on the spoon as she sat between them, Namjoo watched Soo Ae gulp down her food. This too, would be something she would have to live with everyday in the future.  

Namjoo wasn't ready for it. She still wanted some more time with Soo Ae alone. She still wanted it to be just the two of them. She didn't want to share her life with someone.  

"Instead of eating here tomorrow, lets eat at my house," Sehun broke the silence.

Suddenly forgetting how to chew she turned to look at him. 

"I told my dad we talked it over, so he wants to have a meal with you and Soo Ae." 

"He wants to see Soo Ae, right?" Namjoo said after swallowing. "You can take Soo Ae there to play after work."

"Lets go, mommy'!" Soo Ae shook her arm.

Reaching over to rub her head Namjoo grabbed her bowl and stood, "I'm done, so I'll start on the dishes first."

Quickly turning so she could ignore his eyes, she walked away.  

"So tomorrow I can go to your house again?" Soo Ae asked.
 
"Yes," Sehun nodded, "your grandpa wants to see you."  

"Grandpa?"  

"That's what you call my dad," Sehun explained.  

"I know that!" Soo Ae smartly stated so that Sehun wouldn't disregard her knowledge. He laughed amused. 

"My mommy's coming too, right?" 

"I'll talk with her after you eat," Sehun explained. "So quickly eat up and go take your bath."

"Daddy, are you going to give mommy the ring we looked at today?" Soo Ae blurted before covering her lips, "Oops!"

Namjoo felt the sponge in her hand slip over the plate she was scrubbing. Her breath caught in as she stared at the wall in front of her. Inside her head she could hear Tao telling her that she still had time to think things over.  

"Sorry, I knew I wasn't supposed to say anything." Soo Ae apologized.  

"It's ok," Sehun assured.  

Quickly sliding off her seat she ran over to hug Sehun and tip-toed up to whisper something into his ear. Namjoo could hear the air seeping out of her voice before her footsteps disappeared into the bedroom then into the bathroom where the door quietly closed.  

Silence waved over the room. To destroy it Namjoo the faucet and just let the water run. She didn't want to be alone with Sehun. Not now. The reality of giving everything up for Soo Ae was hitting home harder than ever. She wasn't about to take her words back, but it didn't mean she couldn't feel uncomfortable.  

"Come tomorrow," Sehun started as he placed the dishes onto the space beside her.  

"I don't want to."  

"Why?"

Squeezing the sponge Namjoo stared at the blurred image of water flowing out. The depths of the water sprinkling against the bottom pit of the sink resonated between them. The dishes left undone just sat there uselessly, as if they were props for a setting.

"You like Soo Ae to the point where you're willing to claim her as your own, and I still can't make sense of it." Namjoo told. "To the point where you and I don't even have a grain of feelings for each other and you're willing to give up the rest of your life for her. For someone educated, I still don't get it. I'm struggling to see from your point of view, but I just can't. Unlike you, I really detest the thought of marriage, but Soo Ae really likes you."

Finally turning to look at him she confessed, "I don't think I'll ever be able to love you. My heart is that rotten. If you marry me, you'll be living with an empty container. Whether I'm happy or not and whether that affects you or not, I don't think you need to live like that. Do you really think you can live with someone who doesn't care about you?"  

"I don't think you're that coldhearted," Sehun said. "I know you don't want to marry me and I don't expect anything from you. It hasn't been long since I found you in Muju and I know I've done some petty things, but I'm not a kid anymore. I know what I'm doing."

Namjoo turned away to focus her stare on the wall ahead of her. She didn't look the least bit happy or content or assured with what he'd just said. 

Leaving it as is, he finished, "I'll come get you like usual tomorrow."  

*****

Namjoo was right on some part. He still couldn't understand why he'd suddenly blurted out the claim that Soo Ae was his. Sehun still had to ponder about why he'd done it. Was it because he wanted to try and protect them? Or was it because he hadn't known what else to say during the sudden situation? Was he...really after something?  

She was right about the fact that they didn't have any kind of affection or feelings for each other. They were just...the kind of people that knew about each other. No links, no strings attached. Yet, for some reason he didn't feel very bad about it. He kind of looked forward to being a dad.  

It seemed...exciting.  

Despite how Namjoo felt, he was the opposite. He looked forward to it. Her perspective on all this might have been influenced by what she'd gone through, but he was also sure that with time all of it would get better. He just had to be patient. Since the very first time they met in school Namjoo had never really liked him but slowly began talking with the pest that followed her. She had treated him fairly when they dated and even now, it was still almost the same.  

Sehun believed that if he waited a bit more she'd start opening up again. Plus, they weren't kids anymore. He would care for them because he wanted to. After all, he could see that Namjoo had changed from the rebel she was. If he tried his best he knew Namjoo would see his efforts.

They...could get along.  

Relaxing on his bed he flipped through the ring catalog he'd picked up at the jewelry store he and Soo Ae had stopped by. From silver to gold and diamonds to rubies he didn't know where to start. He didn't know Namjoo's preferences, if she had any at all. It wasn't like he could ask her either. 

The ringing of his phone interrupted his thoughts and he picked it up to see that it was Namjoo. Wondering if she had anything left to say he picked up only to hear Soo Ae's voice. 

"Daddy," she called.  

"Oh...Soo Ae," sitting up he smiled, "aren't you supposed to be sleeping?"  

"I still have to give mommy the gift," she giggled, "but mommy's taking a bath too long." 

"You can give it to her in the morning."

"No!" She replied loudly. "I want to give it to her tonight so I can tell you her reaction tomorrow."  

He lightly chuckled. 

"I miss you daddy. I can't wait until we can all live together then I can see you and mommy every morning!" 

"Me too." 

"Oh! I hear mommy coming!" Soo Ae exclaimed then whispered, "Bye-bye daddy!" 

"Good night, Soo Ae." 

A beep signaled the hanging up of the phone. Setting his hand down he leaned back against the pillow he'd propped up and stared at the ceiling. Lifting the catalog up he stared at the gold ring enlarged on the page with diamonds laced around it. 

Sehun knew then what he'd get her. A ring she wouldn’t be able to take off easily.


***Heh~ Namjoo and Sehun are opposites for now, but adorable Soo Ae keeps them glued together. Namjoo's not happy, but we'll see how Sehun rubs off on her ;D

***Oh boy, I'm getting One Way feels lol