The Middleman

A Second Chance - The Story

His mother wasn’t done just yet. He’d given her another reason to make a fuss, “Move out?! Just what are you thinking?! Do you think you can do whatever you want now? You’re just going to throw your parents aside?!”

“I already bought a studio.”

Another deep breath of shock and exasperation before she turned to his father, “Are you not going to say anything about this?!”

“Let him go,” calmly eating, his father held his palm out in Sehun’s direction. “We can’t keep him here forever. He’s a married man. He needs to make his own living now.”

“Married?!” the raise of her voice made his ears hurt. “He’s no longer married!”

“Jesus, woman! When will you ever stop!?” his father threw down his spoon. “That girl my son calls his wife, is still my daughter-in-law. Those divorce papers, I got rid of them. My son has chosen her. I will respect his decision and you as his mother, will too. I don’t want to hear another word out of your mouth.”

Picking up his spoon he dipped it into his soup and continued eating as if he’d never spoken at all.

That night when he turned out he lay quietly on his bed for the first time since the past hellish week. The lamp glowed beside him all so peacefully. So quiet. Only his breathing pounced the thin air. His arm sprawled out over Namjoo’s empty spot, wishing she was there so he had his arm draped over her like a belt.

Ever since Namjoo allowed him to start hugging her as they slept nighttime was the hour of the day he looked forward too. The memory was so vivid he still recalled how his heart raced, knowing he had her emotionally swaying toward him. It was all the best he’d had. If he could rewind he would have kissed her all night that night. Instilled with the possibility that he could have gotten her pregnant then all might be well, because then…if Namjoo knew she was having his baby she would have no choice but to return to him.

No, this was all right, too he assured himself. Namjoo didn’t have much money in the bank account he helped her open. Sehun was certain she was closer than he imagined. Plus, Soo Ae was still in recovery stage. Namjoo would never put her health at risk by taking her far. They were still in Seoul, he just knew they were.

*****

Suddenly turning, her eyes opened. Leaning over Namjoo first checked on Soo Ae, who was deep asleep beside her. An array of the white moon shone over her, but even with the light on her face, she didn’t wake. Sleep was gone and Namjoo could no longer lay where she was. Getting up she headed out the door to get a cup of water. Hopefully it would soothe her and she’d be able to call sleep back.

Without bothering to turn the lights on she found her way through the dark. After pouring herself a glass of water from the fridge she turned around to stare at the view outside Chanyeol’s wall sized window. Lights glowed, stealing the spotlight from the bejeweled stars. It would have been even more perfect if there was someone to share the view with.

Namjoo quickly turned when a shadow appeared from the corner and the light flickered on. Though aware of the presence and prepared, she still jumped at Chanyeol’s scream of surprise.

“My god! You scared me,” he murmured with a hand over his heart.

“Oh…sorry,” baffled, Namjoo glanced around before allowing her eyes to settle on him. “I just…got a little thirsty.”

Walking over she listened to his breath of relief. She watched him grab a cup and fill it with water from the jug in the fridge. “Sehun talked with me today. He looks much better than he did a week ago.”

Namjoo peered at him once before looking away. “That’s good for him.”

Chanyeol seemed to hesitate then finally said, “His father told him to bring you back.” She lifted her eyes up from the ground and stared into the empty space before her. All emotions of guilt and shame simultaneously revived. She recalled getting onto her knees before him and how that had ended everything, she believed had ended everything.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen,” her statement came hushed.

“Can I ask,” he began, “why you left? I mean…if you’re ok with it. You know what? Just…nevermind me. Sometimes I speak without thinking.” He laughed awkwardly to help drive off any feelings of hostility. Since she was here in his home, he should know her reasoning.

Gulping the rest of the water down, she turned to him, “Have some wine? Maybe some beer?” Chanyeol’s eyes widened slightly before he nodded dumbfounded. Making her way around the table she sat down and watched him fill her cup with some red wine he pulled out from behind the fridge.

Without waiting for him to place it back she began, “When I think about it, I should have stayed in Muju. I don’t know why in the world I let Sehun tempt me to come back. All these years I never thought about him, not even once but the moment we came to Seoul, he was suddenly everywhere.”

Rubbing her temple she stared at her cup of wine, “I get a headache thinking about how we got married, but he promised Soo Ae a good life and that was all I cared about. She got toys, clothes, a bed of her own, and someone to called ‘dad.’ For the first time, she was spoiled rotten.” Thinking of how happy Soo Ae had been as Sehun’s daughter, how because of Sehun she’d been able to eat a cake for the first time made her heart ache.  

“I don’t blame Sehun. He did all he could. I guess it was partially my fault, for taking his word and trying to please Soo Ae. When you marry with a lie, it’s only bound to be found out. It’s all right for them to hate me, but not my daughter. She did nothing wrong, she only wanted a father." Namjoo sounded angrier. "A father! When I think about my child hurting, blaming herself for being the reason why her mother can’t enjoy life with her husband peacefully…it makes me so angry.” There was an urge to bite down on her tongue as the anger began erupting.

“Soo Ae did nothing wrong. She didn’t have to run away. She’s only five years old! But now I have to ask myself, why did I have to get married? Why did I put us in this situation? All along, we’ve survived without anyone. When there was no Sehun, we were still happy. Soo Ae can still live without a father. We didn’t need Sehun nor did I have to bring my daughter to a place where she was constantly attacked and unappreciated, where she had to watch her mother get pushed around. Soo Ae didn’t need to cope with that! But she saw and she took responsibility.”

Namjoo grasped onto the cup, tightening her fingers around it. “I left, because I’m angry, because Soo Ae and I are better without them. My daughter can still have a future and I can still support her. If there’s one thing I learned, happiness is short-lived and I don’t need to hang onto a dream like that. We didn’t work out four years ago and it didn’t work out now, do you think I would still try again?”

When she turned to look at Chanyeol, she wondered if he thought she was crazy. Disregarding his quiet reaction she grabbed the cup to gulp the wine down and got up to go back to Soo Ae. There was a sudden desire to have her daughter in her arms for a sense of comfort, to know she wasn’t alone; that even if both their hearts were broken, together they could mend it with bandages.

*****

Namjoo sounded angrier than she did the first time she arrived. Chanyeol wondered if her resentment would start building now – from sadness, agony, and ache to fiery anger, toward Sehun and his family. The treatment toward Soo Ae must have really triggered rage in Namjoo. Chanyeol could easily guess who made Namjoo angriest – Sehun’s mother. Everything she’d said revolved around Soo Ae, was done for her, but had she done anything for herself?

Namjoo said she didn’t blame Sehun for all that happened, but she didn’t talk about what kind of relationship they’d had. If he had wooed her once, had done it again, wouldn’t it only mean Sehun could do it once more if he came for her?

What if during the time they lived, shared a bed and a room together, they had developed strong feelings for each other? Even if Namjoo was upset, had run away in an attempt to protect Soo Ae from further harm, wouldn’t it mean she had left because she felt she needed to? That against her own odds she had had some kind of feelings for Sehun, but sacrificed that part of her life for her daughter?

Chanyeol shook his head. He didn’t want to think like that. If Namjoo said she never wanted to go back there, it could be a good thing as well.

*****

“Are you listening to me?” Sehun nudged Chanyeol. “Why are you so aloof?”

“I was not.”

“I started packing my stuff early this morning,” Sehun went on, “want to help me move?”

“Move?” Chanyeol finally seemed at attention, abruptly turning to stare at him.

“Where in the world have you been?” Sehun asked. “I already bought a studio, all I have to do is move my stuff in. I decided to make you my helper.”

“I don’t have all the time in the world.” Chanyeol shook his head. He was planning to rush back home in case Soo Ae was alone. “I’m in a hurry home.”

“You’ve been hurrying home early these days,” Sehun frowned, “what’s up with that? Been seeing someone?” For some reason, this caused a smile to grow on Chanyeol’s face. Surprised, he asked, “You have?”

“Of course not, who do you take me for?” Chanyeol questioned. “I don’t have all the time in the world.”

“Sure you don’t,” Sehun insisted. “So you’re in, right? If you don’t help me, no one else will.”

“Just let me know when.” Chanyeol nodded. “I gotta make a call. See you.” Sehun watched his friend leave the table before returning to his food. Everything seemed to be turning out for the better lately. He had been going around town to inquire about Namjoo and Soo Ae. Someone finally recognized Namjoo, pointing out they had seen her walking around the area a few days ago, as if she was looking for something.

Today, he was going to wait by the window shops in hopes of running into her. Right after his shift ended, he immediately drove toward the designated area in wait. Passersby were plenty, but no one resembled his wife. Bearing his growling stomach he waited until sundown before giving up.

These days he couldn’t sleep in any position but on his side while clutching onto Namjoo’s empty spot. The traces of Namjoo had been erased by Eun Bi’s washing, but he still retained their memories – sinking into them as he slept. Sometimes he would even dream about Namjoo and when he woke up, hoped it was because she missed him too.

When he woke up that Saturday he grabbed the papers he’d printed off with Namjoo and Soo Ae’s picture and was out the door. He was going to pass some to Chanyeol so that he would help him pass them around. There was more of a chance that if there was a picture of Namjoo and Soo Ae floating around, someone would somehow remember them and contact him.

Arriving at Chanyeol’s place just moments later he pressed the doorbell and waited. For a second he swore he could hear the shuffling of footsteps and murmurs coming from the other side of the door.

*****

Namjoo was surprised to see Chanyeol up so early preparing breakfast. There was already something on the stove and fresh rice sitting on the table.

“Good morning,” he greeted.

“Good morning,” she smiled walking over. “I got a job.”

He glanced at her happy for her. “Where at?”

“Some bookstore,” Namjoo answered. “I’m starting off part time.”

“That’s great,” Chanyeol smiled, “this calls for a celebration.” He with another smile, knowing full well that he shouldn’t expect too much.

“We don’t have to do anything.”

He shrugged, “It would be nice, don’t you think? Maybe we could go out somewhere to have some fun. Soo Ae might get sick of staying in all the time. Just for a little while.” His eyes focused on her thoughtful expression.

“I guess that would be nice,” she gave in, “but not somewhere too extravagant.”

“Don’t worry about that, I’ll handle it,” Chanyeol grinned, simply excited by the thought that there would be another evening outside with just the three of them. “Lets go in the afternoon, I have to go somewhere first.”

“If you have plans, you don’t need to worry about us,” grabbing some plates out of the dish rack she shot him a glance.

“It won’t be long,” Chanyeol assured. He hesitated about whether to tell Namjoo that Sehun had  moved out of his home, wondering if that bit of knowledge would ease hope into her that it would be all right if they were to get back together. Yet, something else urged him to keep her updated about Sehun as if he instinctively knew keeping her updated with Sehun’s life would set her at peace.

Oil on the pan popped before he turned to see her orderly placing the dishes onto the table – something he imagined she would have done daily at Sehun’s house. Thinking about how such tasks had simply been engraved into her schedule made him wonder how much of Sehun she had in her head.

The more he conversed with her, the more he realized how easy-going she actually was. Though pained and hurt by what had recently happened to her and her daughter, she still found ways to focus on other things to make everything better. And if he wanted to know something, she wouldn’t hold back from answering his questions. Chanyeol liked that about her and was starting to wonder if Sehun had fallen in love with her because she had so much to give, and she kept doing it relentlessly. Namjoo’s charm was that even if she was vulnerable, she was able to cope well and remain kind through it all.

Damn Sehun…he was one lucky guy to have had Namjoo all to himself.

“What?” Namjoo’s voice brought his attention back and he realized he’d been staring at her. Flustered, he turned to look away and cleared his throat trying to recall what it was he had been planning to say.

“I just…” Chanyeol turned the stove off then turned back to her, “you know…Sehun moved out.”

They held eyes for a few seconds. It was Namjoo who was first to break it. She seemed surprise, but didn’t take to expressing it. “Oh…really?”

“He asked me to help him move in,” Chanyeol explained.

“Good for him,” Namjoo nodded her head. Before Chanyeol was able to apologize for bringing up the man she’d left behind the doorbell rang. The sad tension immediately vanished when he and Namjoo glanced at each other.

“Are you expecting someone?” she wondered.

“No,” he shook his head. The very lines of worry and panic were noticeable on her face. It suddenly became deathly quiet. The bell rang again. This time they heard Sehun’s voice.

“Chanyeol, are you in? Open the door!” he called out. Namjoo’s eyes widened and they turned toward each other, both in panic – telling the other to do something. Becoming stern, Namjoo turned around to go hide. That was when Chanyeol noticed her and Soo Ae’s shoes by the door. If they were what they’d worn when they lived with Sehun, he would recognize them.

He turned to call for Namjoo, but she was already gone. Sliding toward the door he picked the shoes up and ran into the living room to hide them behind the television stand. Then clearing his throat and smoothing out his clothes, walked toward the door.

“What’s with you?” Sehun started, staring into his friend’s face after becoming impatient.

Awkwardly laughing, Chanyeol let him in. “What are you doing here? Thought we were supposed to meet at your new place?”

“I brought these,” Sehun turned, showing him the papers with a picture of both Soo Ae and Namjoo along with contact information at the bottom. Chanyeol stared at the papers a little surprised, a little dumbfounded. He didn’t blame Sehun for trying this hard, but he didn’t think Sehun would have him help pass such things out.

“Are you…serious?” was all he managed.

Sehun lightly punched him in the chest, “What are you saying? A friend is asking you to help him out, you can’t?”

His eyes drifted toward a happily smiling Namjoo and Soo Ae, his heart fluttering with how joyful they looked. Namjoo had hardly smiled in such a way since coming here for his help. She had only started stepping toward contentment again, but Sehun was trying even more actively to look for heroth of them needing some kind of help in some kind of way.

“Sehun,” Chanyeol started, “have you tried thinking from Namjoo’s point of view? I mean, have you actually wondered why she left?”

“Why are you asking me that?”

“I’m just…” Chanyeol began, but stopped. He wasn’t actually sure what he wanted to say. “Do you know why she left you, Sehun? Have you wondered if she’s just somewhere seeking refuge because she wants to protect her daughter or if she left you because she doesn’t want to be found? Something may have led up to this, but there might be more to it than what the eye sees.”

“I…I don’t know,” Sehun looked back at him, suddenly lost. “I told you, everything was almost perfect. Namjoo and I just made up, why would she want to leave? My mother was giving her and Soo Ae a hard time, but Namjoo wouldn’t have given up like that. She would have left when mom brought those DNA papers home, but she didn’t. Namjoo’s a fighter.”

She did, because Soo Ae was hurt, you idiot! She left you to protect her daughter and you’re here only thinking about bringing them back for your happiness, just because your father gave you his word! Was what Chanyeol wanted to scream into his face, but he couldn’t. For Namjoo’s sake and tiny Soo Ae, and because he still wanted to spend more time with them.

“Don’t you think I need to find them first in order to find out what I may have missed?” Sehun suggested. “I can’t simply guess my way around Namjoo. It doesn’t work like that.”

He the papers out toward him again. This time, Chanyeol quietly complied and took them in order to please Sehun.

“Maybe when you find someone you love and get married, you’ll understand why I care so much,” Sehun softened his tone. “By the way, what’s with all the food?”

Chanyeol followed his gaze toward the table midway through breakfast preparation.

“You expecting someone?” Sehun glanced around the empty apartment. Chanyeol swallowed his excess saliva. If Soo Ae was awake, Namjoo would have kept her quiet. It was a good thing that little girl listened to her mother night and day. If she was still just a baby their cover would have been blown.

“Yes,” Chanyeol nodded. “I am.” He observantly watched closely as Sehun observed the number of plates on the table and the food sitting on the stove.

“Mind if I stay too?”

“What?!” 


***I stayed up late to update, appreciate me! :) 

***Now Chanyeol is stuck between helping Sehun or helping Namjoo & Soo Ae, something he didn't foresee