The First Move

A Second Chance - The Story

His heart against his chest so hard he wondered if Namjoo could feel it.

Namjoo struggled a bit, “Sehun…it hurts. You’re squeezing too hard.”

Letting go he apologized. All at once he felt shy, prideful, and proud. Unable to get over the fact that he had married the right person. Never once before had he liked someone so much. Namjoo had struck him the first time he saw her chasing off two boys from a mother cat feeding its kittens. Then she’d turned to him with a threatening glare, asking if he wanted to get hit as well.

“Look at what you did,” Namjoo muttered underneath her breath, throwing the clothes dumped onto the floor back into the basket. As soon as the last cloth went in, Sehun whisked the basket up and away from her. “What are you doing?!” She immediately turned to follow him up the stairs.

“I’ll bring them up, they’re my clothes anyway,” he pointed out, entered the kitchen, then toward the living room right for the stairs. All the way upstairs he heard her following him and he didn’t think the sound of someone following him ever made him so giddy before. Once in their bedroom he set the basket on the ground, plopped down onto the bed to watch her, thinking about how perfect she was.

“Don’t you have other things to do?” she asked, picking up a shirt and flapped it out before folding it.

“All right, I’ll go play with Soo Ae,” he nodded. “But Namjoo, you can’t be closer to anyone else than me.”

“What?” The question came out as a shocked and confused one.

Sehun felt the urge to smile haughtily. “I’m saying from now on you have to think of me as your best friend. No one can know you better than I.”

Namjoo kept her strong frown on and he lightly laughed before getting up to walk out. Marriage had to be the happiest phase of his life, because he couldn’t recall feeling so high.

Since Namjoo didn’t like him bothering her while she was focusing on her chores, he busied himself with Soo Ae, where they enjoyed cartoon shows on the TV. Eun Bi and his mother arrived back home with a load of groceries, even though he was pretty sure they were still stocked up with food.

“Sehun!” His mother called for him. “Come help us, will you?”

Leaving Soo Ae, he entered the kitchen to find a few dozen bags on the table. They had basically splurged their money on stuff they most likely already had.

“Help Eun Bi put the food away, all right?” His mother asked before exiting the kitchen.

“Mother and I shopped for a long time,” Eun Bi told him. “We bought soft drinks and some snacks for you. Mother says they’re your favorite. Looks like I learned something new.”

Sehun turned to look behind him to make sure his mother wasn’t nearby. Then turning back to her, “Eun Bi.”

“Yes?” She glanced at him expectantly. She was a pretty thing, but deserved better than what he could give her. Even if they were together, he didn’t think he’d be able to forget Namjoo.

“You should stop coming here,” Sehun said. “And you should stop referring to my parents as your own. It’s not fair to Namjoo who has the right to do that. You know what I’m saying, don’t you?”

Sehun had to admit he felt guilty when her crushed emotions showed on her face, but there was no other way. He’d been nice, he’d reminded her before they were just friends. Nothing else. Eun Bi just didn’t take his word for it. Now he had to resort to this.

“Sehun,” Eun Bi started off coolly, a stark contrast to the break on her face, “do you think you’ll really be happy with her? She doesn’t love you.”

“Whatever goes on between us,” Sehun shook his head, “isn’t your problem.”

Eun Bi studied him for a moment, “You’re so into her, aren’t you?”

Sehun couldn’t tell whether she was belittling him for what he felt toward Namjoo. But he wouldn’t deny it either. “Yes, I am.”

The corner of her lip shot up with a huff. Her eyes filled with discern, met his, “Then love her as much as you want. You don’t have long.” Swiveling around she disappeared out the door. As soon as it closed, his mother returned.

“Where’s Eun Bi?”

Sehun jutted his thumb toward the door, “Got called home. Her mother wanted something.”

He was let off easily. Once Namjoo came down, dinner preparation began and he stayed around to help even though his mother disapproved, but what didn’t she disapprove of? He liked being around Namjoo as she worked. It showed how serious she was and how hard she was at work, even though she hated so much of her life. Sehun wanted to make her love it. Life and its everyday adventures, whether it be sad or happy things, and that he’d be right there with her along the way.

Dinner, for once, was utterly peaceful. Once the table cleared he chased Soo Ae upstairs where he made sure she washed up before tucking her into bed. When he washed and came out that night Namjoo was sitting at the foot of the bed, surfing the channels for something interesting to watch.

Joining her, he sat close by. “Anything interesting?”

“No.”

“Namjoo,” Sehun turned to her, “how was your day today?”

That same frown of confusion struck her face again. “Is something wrong with you?”

“No, but talk to me,” he urged with a wave of his hand.

“I don’t want to.”

“Why not?” he asked. “You should share something about yourself. I want to know more about you.” He caught the movement of her eye roll. “You might think this is stupid, but it isn’t for me. Is it hard to talk about yourself in a positive way? Say, my day was good, all I did was clean the house, did my husband’s laundry, welcomed my family back home, and cooked for them.

“You might not like yourself a lot, but I like you a lot. Soo Ae likes you a lot too. You mean much more than your past. You’re my wife. You’re Kim Namjoo with a gutless and big, warm heart. I wish you knew how important of a person you are. Can’t you be a little happy with me? Open your heart a little, do something for yourself, be happy.”

Namjoo turned to look at him without much of an expression. “So…do you want chocolates for saying that or something?”

A baffled laugh dropped out of his mouth at her unexpected remark, but he still felt jolly. When his eyes landed on her, he immediately leaned toward her intending onto to give her a peck, but the second her lips pursed around his he was incited for more. Sehun’s heart raced when his hand raced up her arm, squeezed her shoulder, before cupping her face. The other arm s around her waist to draw her closer.

The kisses deepened, his body became overwhelmingly warm. He yearned for her. This kind of intimacy never felt so right before. Sehun wanted her arms around him. He wanted to be invited into her world, but he heard Namjoo gasp before her hand struck his shoulder.

“Sehun, stop, stop.” When he released her, he found her face flushed, but she’d turned away from him.

Guilty and apologetic, he immediately stood up, wiped his sweaty palms against his sweats. “I’m…I’m sorry, Namjoo. I didn’t mean to…”

“I want to see Soo Ae,” she muttered before escaping the room. When the door opened and closed Sehun tossed his head back, running his fingers through his hair exasperated.

*****

Carefully opening the door, Namjoo stepped into Soo Ae’s room. A nightlight lit the room up in the corner and as she neared, could see that her daughter was well asleep. How she wished she could climb into the bed with her, cuddle with the girl who held her heart like they always did before marrying Sehun.

Sliding to the ground she drew knees up to her chest and hugged herself. From where she sat she could make out Soo Ae’s nose perched into the air, her lips curved so cutely, and her hands clutching her few dolls. She looked as normal as any girl who had a full family. With just her, Soo Ae would lack all this, feel so left out without even telling her the slightest.

Soo Ae was the girl who could calm all her roaring waves. Namjoo would be nothing without her. If Sehun didn’t know already, she was a little happy. The relief that Soo Ae was doing well, eating well, playing well, and was clothed well couldn’t settle her heart anymore. And of course, she was more than thankful for all of Sehun’s efforts toward maintaining Soo Ae’s happiness, but he couldn’t just readily expect her to commit herself to him, take her clothes off and bare her heart. Namjoo couldn’t even bear looking at herself unclothed. She couldn’t bear anyone else looking at her – one more reason why she never bathed with Soo Ae.

What was it about her that Sehun found so appealing? She couldn’t understand why he was becoming attached to her again.

Moving forward on her knees she leaned against Soo Ae’s bed, peered into her face. The peace there washed over her and a finger over her tiny face into her soft hair, smiled.

“Mommy’s baby,” Namjoo whispered. “All my happiness.” Leaning forward she placed a kiss on her face before quietly getting up and walked out of the room.

The lights were off when she walked into their bedroom. From where she stood at the doorway with the light shining in behind her, she spotted Sehun on the bed with his back to her. Tonight he’d chosen to sleep on his far end of the bed to give her as much breather as possible. Back then and now, he was still thinking of her.

An ache and a pang of guilt strummed the pit of her heart as she closed the door after her. For always rejecting his slow advances and pretending to be unaware of his caring tendencies, she might as well deserve a slap in the face from Eun Bi.

Careful not to disturb him if he was already asleep, she lifted the covers up slowly and climbed into bed alongside him. At first Namjoo stared up into the ceiling she couldn’t make out before turning to stare at his back.

All the dumb things full of his heart that he said to her rushed into her mind. It wasn’t as if she hadn’t been listening to him. Even if she didn’t want to admit it, she was there every step of the way consciously aware.

Damn Sehun and his goody good nature. Always twisting her up.

She was happy, yet not fulfilled. The ache of ignorance still continued to reside in her heart, choking her. There was an urge she wanted to bite back as she continued to stare at how far Sehun was from her.

Dammit!

Slowly sliding over, Namjoo raised her hand, feeling it shake in midair before allowing it to fall on his arm. Then all at once, pressed her face into his nape. She screamed at herself. Happy now?! Are you happy now?!

Clamping eyes shut, she listened to her heart rampage, the ache gone. Instead, a strange part of her felt like weeping. Everything inside her quieted when she felt Sehun’s hand atop hers. A slight moment later he pulled her arm around him, and entwined his fingers through hers.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I won’t do it again. I promise.”

Namjoo opened her eyes, stared into the dark. Sehun was warm and probably very sorry, but she couldn’t help thinking about how sturdy his hand was.

“Is our daughter sleeping well?”

“Yes.”

“That’s good.” A moment of silence. “Thanks Namjoo.”

“For what?”

“Just…for being with me.”

*****

Namjoo was up and gone when he awoke the next morning. The bed felt empty and lonely without her, but warmth flowered through him. At the replay of how Namjoo had hugged him yesterday, his lips succumbed to an overjoyed smile. Namjoo never hugged him before and it had felt so nice.

When he headed downstairs after washing up they glanced at each other. Sehun automatically smiled at her and watched her turn away bashful. In that moment it felt like they were new lovers again. Eun Bi hadn’t come for breakfast and his mother hadn’t thrown her tantrum at Namjoo, but even so he found her hand under the table and held it. All throughout breakfast.

If Namjoo was starting to appreciate his presence again, she wasn’t saying it. Sehun could wait for it. From the very beginning, she’d never said anything of the like toward him, he’d just known it; that she reciprocated his feelings.

Joy emanated through him. Unable to hold himself back he hummed a tune out of nowhere while buttoning his shirt up. All he had to do now was wait for Namjoo to come up and fix his tie for him before he was off. The very moment she walked in through the door he turned around, proudly presenting himself.

“The shirt suits me, doesn’t it?” He inquired when she strapped the tie around his neck.

“I think blue suits anyone.” Namjoo replied without looking at him.

Sehun made a face, but said nothing more. For once, Namjoo finally fixated his tie properly without needing his aid. He felt like applauding her.

“Wow, good job!” He congratulated then smiled when she glanced at him disgusted. Smiling, he touched her face, “I’ll be back later.”

And as he was out the door with Soo Ae, he couldn’t help but think he was the happiest man alive.

“Daddy, you’re all-smiles today,” Soo Ae commented after he started off onto the street. “Mommy looked happy, too. Did you two do something?”

“What do you think we did?”

Soo Ae giggled. “I don’t know. Maybe I’m going to have a brother?”

At this Sehun responded with a loud laugh. He was both amused and surprised. “Do you want a brother, Soo Ae?”

“Mm!” Soo Ae deeply nodded. “The bigger the family is, the happier you are!”

“Really?”

“Happiness multiplies, doesn’t it, daddy?”

Sehun peered into the rearview mirror to glance at their witty daughter. Grinning, “It sure does.”

*****

Chanyeol was waiting for his coffee to cool down before drinking it. That morning, having being a little too absentminded he’d left the kettle on for too long, burning his tongue in the process of sipping the liquid from the mug. From learning his lesson, he was now sitting at his kitchen table bored out of his mind. Breakfast was done and over with and he would have moved on to work to keep his mind occupied. Instead, he was still in his apartment.

First and foremost, he fought to keep his mind off from the line he’d drawn. If his eyes so as much threatened to waver toward the living room he was going to slap himself. So in the air his eyes went, but a tug in his heart told him to dig back into the memory for what he felt was missing.

Chanyeol gulped. The urge too strong, felt his eyes linger off the couch where Namjoo had kissed him that night. If he’d known it would make him like this, he wouldn’t have thought of calling her out that night just to chill.

Sehun’s girls had never fascinated him before. The ones he got Sehun to date were the girls out of his zone, which meant they were girls he would never touch. Even in high school, when he found the thrill of having a girlfriend, Sehun hadn’t understood his level of excitement. They’d been separated as friends in polar worlds. That was until Sehun suddenly claimed he had a girlfriend too and he liked her so much.

At that time, Chanyeol had belittled him. It turned out Sehun was serious, more than he’d ever been. Chanyeol never met Kim Namjoo, but he’d heard numerous things about what a thug she was. Four years later, she was a woman caring for a child as if she was her own.

Kim Namjoo, Sehun’s girl.

Chanyeol gulped and immediately turned to punish himself by burning his tongue again with the scourging hot coffee. He couldn’t stop thinking about her in his home, even if they'd been together a mere three hours. But she’d been in his car for a whole day. They’d spent a whole day together. The realization of that fact made his heart thud.

When he talked to her, she’d made it sound like she was at complete odds with Sehun. Yet, when he watched them have lunch together at the company they looked closer than what it seemed. Part of him wished their marriage absolute failure like he’d predicted, but he felt immediately guilty for wishing it. Sehun was his best friend who finally found his happiness after all this time. During all the years Chanyeol knew him, he could tell with just one look that all his hopes and future depended on Namjoo.

Chanyeol felt depressed. He never fancied Sehun’s girl before…until now.

*****

Hours seemed to fly by quite slowly before Sehun discovered himself racing out of the building toward his car. He wanted to celebrate today by doing something special. He wanted to commemorate yesterday by getting Namjoo something to bring her spirits up. After picking Soo Ae up from the daycare, he announced they were going to the store.

That was how they ended up at the florist. Soo Ae tagged along beside him awed by all the many different flowers.

“This is so pretty, daddy!” She exclaimed pointing to a moon flower.

“Do you want it? I’ll buy it for you,” he offered, bending down to observe the flower.

Soo Ae’s cheeks flushed. “Aren’t we here for mommy?”

“I can get you something, too,” Sehun said. “So, how about it? Do you want this flower or a different one?”

“I want this one,” Soo Ae pointed her finger at the moon flower. Picking it out of the basket he handed it to her.

“Hold onto it while we look for mommy’s.”

“What kind of flower are you going to get for mommy?” Soo Ae asked. “A flower that says I love you?”

Sehun heard her giggling again and couldn’t hold back his own smile. “Yes, a flower that says I love you.” 


***Oh wow, this chapter made me so giddy! All these golden moments before the DNA tests get back to Eun Bi!