To Open Up

A Second Chance - The Story

"Who's that?" Rita whispered into her ear.

An ambiguous tension flowed over Namjoo while their eyes locked. After a few seconds Sehun stepped forward and as he neared Namjoo slightly gripped her hand into a light fist. Maybe she felt nervous while at the same time intimidated. 

Sehun was very different from how she remembered him. Suddenly he seemed so cool and calm in contrast to nervously holding his head high in front of her. 

When he stopped in his tracks right in front of her, she felt her head tilt back to look up into his face. Once more, she thought about how tall he'd gotten. 

It was...very different between them. 

"I came to get my hair trimmed," he spoke with what she thought was a gentle but sly smile. 

Was he still going to like he had that morning? She swore if he embarrassed her in front of her co-workers she didn't plan on acting nice. 

"You can do that for me, right?"

Namjoo only continued to stare up at him quietly, still trying to calculate what it was that he wanted. 

A sudden jolt of laughter burst beside her and Rita clapped her hands, "Of course!" Then nudged Namjoo, "Namjoo, why don't you wash his hair first?" Then turning to Sehun with wide happy eyes, meant to welcome her new pending customer, "We'll get a chair ready for you." 

Rita brushed by then busied herself at one of the empty chairs. Quietly turning, she lowered the chair back and turned back to Sehun, silently instructing him to sit. Once he sat down she stepped on the bar to lower him, keeping her eyes trained on the silver metal. 

"It's my first time seeing you at work," Sehun started when she turned the water on.

Grabbing the shower handle she began spraying water against his head, combing her fingers through the soft strands of his hair. 

"Do you want something?" She asked monotonously. 

From the lower corners of her eyes she could see his eyes floating around before looking at her, then around again. 

"No," he replied. "Just thought I'd stop by. My hair's getting a little long." 

"You call that long?" She wanted to protest, but instead said, "So you left work early?" 

"I didn't cut my hours," he assured. "I made a little compromise with Chanyeol. You remember him, don't you?" 

The tall guy, of course. 

Setting the hose aside she grabbed a dry towel, folded it, and placed it over his eyes. How he looked at her bothered her. 

"What's this for?" He wondered, reaching up for it. 

"In case shampoo gets in your eyes," Namjoo lied.

His hand paused midway in the air before setting it on his stomach. 

"You still get shampoo in your client's eyes?" He asked. 

She didn't reply. Silence beckoned upon them while she worked the shampoo through his hair thoroughly. Encapsulated by the moment, she found her eyes browsing around, landing seconds later on the firm line that appeared like a smile on his lips. 

For a moment, she pondered over why he'd really come. His hair, as she always saw it, was still at a nice length. She'd seen him slick it back and comb it into various directions with style. Actually, there was no need to trim it. 

Even though she felt the answer was obvious, Namjoo played oblivious. She didn't think nor feel comfortable about just coming to conclusions. 

Moving her eyes up brought her to the slightly dark bags underneath his eyes. 

As far as she could recall, she'd slept pretty early last night. Namjoo was unable to recall anything that she may have done in the middle of the night, if anything had happened at all. Only that...she'd woken up with her face buried into his shirt and so far away from her half of the bed. It made her edgy when she thought about it. Yet, it didn’t make her feel bad in any way. Although she realized she'd probably made him restless at night, taking a good night's sleep from him. 

After rinsing his hair clean she grabbed a towel to rub his hair dry. Between the two of them, Namjoo didn't think she'd ever done anything for him besides feeding him her poorly cooked meals. To think that the first thing she'd done for him was wash his hair. 

It was...kind of funny. 

"Rita will get someone to touch up your hair," Namjoo explained adjusting his chair back up. 

Setting the towel aside she set herself to cleaning the sink. 

"Can't you do it for me?" Sehun questioned, twisted around in his chair. 

Namjoo glanced at him, intent on not answering. 

"I thought if I came, you'd do it," he said. Glancing at the clock he returned his eyes to her, "We're going to need to pick Soo Ae up in twenty minutes."

"Soo Ae?" Rita repeated from where she was cleaning at the counter. "Isn't that your daughter?"

"Yes," Namjoo replied with a quietly toned voice. 

An air of silence took them before Rita gasped and smacked her hands together loudly as if she'd just figured out an answer to a quiz. "Ah! So that's why I thought you looked familiar! You're the man that picks Namjoo up everyday! I should've guessed." 

Smiling broadly, she nodded, "Why don't you go ahead and cut his hair, Namjoo?"

Unamused, Namjoo glanced at Sehun to find him with a smirk. 

"So," he began, "where should I sit?" 

With a small sigh she led him over to an empty chair, her eyes roving over the equipment sitting on the little table in front of her. 

"I'm warning you, I can't promise to do a good job," Namjoo warned wrapping a jacket around him. 

"Doesn't matter," he sounded pleased, "I'm not trying to look good for anybody anyway." 

Namjoo honestly wanted to snort at his high confidence, but only snatched the pair of silver scissors glinting underneath the light in front of her. 

"Can you comb my hair to the right a little?" He asked when she began brushing his hair so that it was orderly. 

Putting her full concentration into following the outline of his already perfected hair she start snipping, unaware of the eyes watching her at work. Namjoo had absolutely no clue about how to cut hair. She was only copying what she'd seen the others do, so she hoped Sehun's hair would make it out alive. He really couldn't blame her if it didn't turn out well. 

"Should we," Sehun's voice broke the silence, "go on a trip?" 

Lifting her eyes up from his hair she found herself peering at him through the mirror, where he, too, was looking at her. There was an honest depth in his eyes. They were like threatening holes to her, so looking away she retreated back to focusing on his hair. 

"Why?" She wondered. 

"Just..." he began then trailed off into silence as if he'd suddenly started daydreaming then went on, "I think it'd be nice." 

Namjoo didn't say anything. She didn't know what she felt about a vacation. She didn't know how she felt about many things; about him coming to have her wash and cut his hair, about waking up that morning feeling comfortable near him, or spending time as a family together. 

What he was feeling could be miles away from how she was feeling. It would be difficult for them to feel the same about everything now. What Sehun had done during their years apart had shaped him far beyond her measures. When he seemed to know exactly where he was headed and what he wanted, she was powerfully clueless.

"We should have gone on a small trip after the wedding," Sehun told. "I would have liked to spend some more time with Soo Ae and it would have been better if you didn’t have to immediately deal with mom's nagging." 

The snip of the scissors bounced into her ears and she pretended not to listen. Namjoo brushed her hand through his hair and reached over for the comb. They finally left the salon a few minutes later. While staring out at the view of the city through the window, she ran his words over in her head. 

What difference would a trip have made in their lives? 

Sehun, pure and innocent, was still the same even though he was now an adult. 

The car came to a halt at a red light. After the next set of traffic lights, they'd be at the Day Care.

"You didn't sleep well last night," Namjoo forced herself to say, "I'm sorry." 

When Sehun turned to look at her, she focused even harder on staring at the license plate of the car in front of them and how red the car was. It looked like it was steaming underneath the sun, it's color that of raw meat. 

This time, Sehun didn't say anything. 

*****

Watching Namjoo at work had been a splendid sight. It made her look independent and he could understand why she wanted a life outside of marriage and all other matters. It gave her space to breathe. He felt sad that his mother was making her give it up just because she'd gotten married to him. Honestly, he hadn't married her to imprison her. Sehun most didn't want his mother to trap her in the house he'd grown up in. 

A smile grew on his lips while listening to Soo Ae and Namjoo talk to each other about the things that had happened at Day Care. 

It was perfect like this. 

The very moment they walked in through the door he found Eun Bi standing in the kitchen, an apron tied around her torso and her hair tucked back into a tight bun. It was just the house wife style she seemed to like. 

It didn't impress him. 

"You're finally home!" His mother exclaimed. "Hurry up and wash your hands! Eun Bi's going to teach you how to prepare a family dinner. Now that you live in our household, you're going to have to do things our way. Our Sehun won't be having dinner unless it's prepared carefully the way I've been cooking for him since he was a child."

"Mom, we just got home," Sehun tried. "At least let Namjoo rest first."

"A daughter-in-law is always on her feet," his mother fought then glared Namjoo's way, "I said hurry up! Dinner isn't a simple task like how it was when it was just you and your daughter." 

"Mommy can cook," Soo Ae spoke up, but his mother glanced at her with an angry frown. "Why can't mommy make the food?"

"You're in the way, get out," his mother ordered. 

Sehun was in disbelief, but he didn't know what he really expected. He was most against the fact that Eun Bi was there. They didn't need another woman in the house. How far was his mother intending to go in order to put pressure on Namjoo? 

He glanced at Namjoo apologetically, but her expression didn't speak of much. It was the same as the one she'd worn that morning when speaking about quitting her job because 'it was what his mother wanted and she had no choice.' 

"Come on, Soo Ae," Sehun touched the back of her head to prod her on. 

Sullenly but obediently, she followed him out of the kitchen. 

*****

If this wasn't just perfect, Namjoo didn't know what to call it. 

"Cut this - not that way, but like this - how've you been cooking this whole time? You've been cooking for your daughter like this?! It's no wonder they say girls without mothers to properly teach them can never become good wives." 

"You're going to need this and that to make the food savory. It's the basics and you don't even know?"

"Oh lord, where exactly have you been? My son can't live like this. Eun Bi, you're going to need to come help with every meal. I'm so sorry to bother you." 

"It's ok. I'm glad to be of some help." 

And Namjoo didn't know how many times she had the knife taken away from her just so that they could give her a lesson. How many times Eun Bi was praised for being so good at prepping the food gave Namjoo a headache. She wasn't here for an exam, but they were giving her one.

"These are Sehun's favorites," his mother crooned cheerily. "Eun Bi, why don't you take these to him? He hasn't had these for ages, he'll be so happy to eat them." 

"Yes, mother." Eun Bi gladly accepted the plate from her while Namjoo watched from the stove. She wanted to laugh sarcastically. 

What was with the big act? As if the two of them were the most important women here at the moment. 

"What are you looking at?" Sehun's mother immediately transformed from a gently smiling face to a scruff expression with hardened eyes, laced with extreme dislike. "Are you going to burn the food? Keep stirring!" 

Forcing herself to keep cool, Namjoo tightened her grip on the wooden spoon. 

*****

Sehun was playing a game of cards with Soo Ae to keep her busy in her room. He didn't want her to overhear the negative things his mother might say to Namjoo and he didn't think Namjoo wanted her daughter to either. 

"Is she your friend?" Soo Ae asked. 

"Who?" 

"The woman downstairs." 

"Eun Bi?" Sehun asked. "Yes, we're friends." 

"Is she nice?" Soo Ae wondered. 

"She's not a bad person." 

"Last time, with grandma, she yelled at mommy," Soo Ae told. "Did you date her too?"  

This time, Sehun looked up from his cards. He couldn't tell whether Soo Ae was trying to investigate him or if she was just curious. To blow off the serious tension, he let out a laugh and reached over to rub Soo Ae's head affectionately.  

"No," Sehun told. "I never dated her. We grew up together, so we're friends."  

"Really? Then," Soo Ae went on, "did you date other girls?"

"Yes, I did, but it wasn't very fun." 

His daughter giggled and he wanted to squeeze the cuteness out of her. 

"So you married mommy because she's the best, right?" 

"Yes, your mommy's the best," Sehun smiled and leaned over to pinch her cheek.

She laughed loudly and merrily before a knock at the door interrupted. The smile on his face immediately wiped itself away when he saw Eun Bi. 

"I brought some baked snacks," she explained. "They're your favorite." 

Getting up to his feet he glanced at the food on he plate, "I'm not vey hungry." Then turning, "Soo Ae, would you like to eat some?" 

"I don't want to spoil my appetite," Soo Ae shook her head.

"You really don't want any? Your mother made these." Eun Bi asked. 

Firmly smiling, Sehun shook his head. "How's Namjoo?" 

Smiling immediately, she replied, "She's all right. Are you only worried about her?" 

"I'm just wondering if she's tired," Sehun answered. 

"Don't worry too much," she commented. "I'm sure she's too busy to think about anything else right now. You know how mother is." 

He ended up pursing his lips then turned before sitting on the ground again. Pulling on a wide smile he picked up his cards, "You didn't cheat, did you?" 

"No!" Soo Ae shrieked. 

From the corner of his eye he watched Eun Bi stare at them before finally walking out.   

They continued playing their game until Soo Ae's eyes shot toward the door. Her eyes immediately smiled and she screamed, "Mommy!" 

Jumping to her feet she bounded toward Namjoo, hugging her. 

"Come play with us!" Soo Ae urged. 

As Sehun stood to his feet he watched Namjoo smile a motherly kind of smile. Placing a hand atop Soo Ae's head she promised a promise she probably wouldn't keep, "Later. Go down and eat dinner. Grandpa's waiting for you." 

Nodding, Soo Ae excitedly ran around Namjoo and down the stairs. Namjoo's head swiveled to watch her daughter go, but she seemed to wait for him.

"What'd you make?" He questioned walking toward her.  

"Some dish and soup, it's supposed to be your favorite," Namjoo replied without looking at him.  

She didn't seem energetic and he wanted to squeeze her hand.  

"Sorry," he apologized, "and thanks, for putting up with them."  

At this, she finally shifted around and started toward the stairs, "They're waiting for you. Lets go."  

His eyes sat on her back unsure of how to fully express his thankfulness.  

Dinner was contentedly loud, with his mother and Eun Bi excitedly planning something while his father childishly spoke with Soo Ae. Namjoo set herself to placing food on Soo Ae's plate and ate quietly beside him.  

Running his eyes over the dishes, he grabbed some veggies and shrimp to place on her plate. Eventually Namjoo turned to look at him and he offered a smile.  

"Thanks to you I had a good meal," his mother smiled at Eun Bi so preciously as if she were a keepsake. 

"No, you shouldn't thank me. It was all Namjoo's hard work." 

"Oh please, she didn't even know anything." 

His father broke their beloved conversation with a cough from within his throat. His mother stared at him as if he'd just rudely condoned them. When his mother started arguing with his father he glanced at Namjoo, who stiffly sat there as if none of it affected her. He couldn't even tell if she was upset with his mother's putdowns.  

From under the table his hand slowly skimmed over to lightly grasp hers.  


***Well Namjoo is no longer going to have it easy with Sehun's mother and Eun Bi around. But he went to her workplace bc he wanted to see her heh~ Get it that Namjoo doesn't wholly reject him either. Instead she tends to give in. The story's stealthily moving along, but we'll get in place soon enough.

***So sorry guys. I haven't been writing ever since I got into the car accident w/my sister. I'll try to pick up the story again, that is if I don't return back to Blaze.

***Anyhow, I've become a freelance writer and have to finish my projects within a given time, so that might keep me from updating. Just giving you a heads up.