Fight Yourself

A Second Chance - The Story

*****

Should’ve known. Should’ve realized. Sehun wanted to slap himself. Right before his eyes they’d been hiding with Chanyeol.

Chanyeol!

All he knew in that moment was how furious he was for being so dumb, for being betrayed, for being lied to! The guts Namjoo had to do this to him.

With Chanyeol!

With every step toward the lobby of the garage he wanted to spin around, run up the stairs, and force Namjoo to come with him. Every molecule of his being screamed that she belonged with him, and she knew it too.

Biting down on his teeth he spun around when light from the street sunk in through the opening ahead. His best buddy halted in step, staring back at him with eyes that called for calm. But, Sehun thought, he was nowhere near calm. He wanted to shove Chanyeol up against the wall and choke him. This very friend of his who’d been leaving work early, made phone calls in the middle of break, and rejected nights out. So this was why…

The emotions all swirled within the depth of his eyes, his brows stern, and stare hard. His voice hard with steel, “How could you do this to me?! You should have told me! You were the only one I had all this time! I trusted you Chanyeol!”

Guilt spun into Chanyeol’s face and his lids quickly batted flustered. “Sehun…”

“You lied to me!” Sehun screamed so loudly that it ricocheted off the garage walls. “Not just once! This whole time…you lied to me! I can’t believe you…”

“Sehun…” Chanyeol took a small step forward hesitantly, “I’m sorry.”

“You’re sorry?” he repeated, his face contorting between rage and despair and wondering if Chanyeol really meant it. “Then you should have told me they were with you! You know how much I love them and you still kept them from me! How can you apologize for that now!?”

His friend’s lips split apart, helpless against his progressing anger. Raising a hand up to massage his forehead Chanyeol told, “Soo Ae was sick. She wasn’t eating well and Namjoo no longer had money. Should I have made them homeless, left them on the streets?” Sehun bit down on his teeth again, forcing himself to listen to Chanyeol’s explanation.

“I didn’t do it because I wanted,” Chanyeol pleaded, “Namjoo would have left with Soo Ae, who was unearthly sick if I was going to tell you. So I promised her I wouldn’t. At least they were safe with me than anywhere else.”

“Is she…” Sehun’s eyes landed on the ground suddenly recalling the pain they’d experienced when Soo Ae was still in the ER, “is my daughter better now?”

“You saw.” Chanyeol stated. “I think it’s best if you give them time before approaching them.”

The knots inside his chest tightened and flames burst through his veins again. “What are you implying?! That you want to keep them there with you?! They’re my wife and child!”

“Sehun!” Chanyeol’s voice overpowered his. Exhausted from the anger overdriving him, Sehun breathed loudly as he stared back at his taller friend.

“I’m saying,” Chanyeol spoke calmly, softly, “that they’re having a hard time. Namjoo won’t hesitate to pack her bags and leave if you’re this hasty.”

“Then what are you saying I should do?”

“I don’t know,” Sehun felt befuddled by Chanyeol’s reply, “shouldn’t you know that better than I do?”

*****

Namjoo had cleaned up the pile on the floor, stacked the papers up neatly on the counter when Chanyeol returned. At the table they were already eating, but the atmosphere was a pretense of calm. Nearing he could sense confusion and fear.

“Come eat, Uncle,” Soo Ae glanced over at him. Pulling on a smile Chanyeol started toward the table, pulled a chair out, and sat down. As he began to fill his empty plate up he couldn’t help but sneak a glance up at Namjoo, who hadn’t yet said a word. Was she going to leave?

Instead of stalling and waiting Chanyeol started, “Sehun won’t do anything impulsive, so stay here until you’re ready to leave.”

“All right,” was Namjoo’s simple answer before taking her dishes to the sink. “I’m going to get ready for work.” He watched her walk out of the kitchen then turned to look at Soo Ae who helped with a smile.

*****

Time…how much more time was he supposed to give Namjoo? A year to make up her mind? No, he wasn’t willing to wait a year. He wanted Namjoo back with him as soon as God forbid. She couldn’t be happy without him nor would he let her live without him. He was angry she had chosen to stay with Chanyeol during this time, but Chanyeol had been right. At least Namjoo had been closer here than anywhere else. In order to show her he was angry with her for doing this to him, he would have to get her back first.

Forget time, he would just have to remind Namjoo that they were real and they would work again.

From the street in his car he watched Namjoo leave the building in a skirt and a blouse. Namjoo hadn’t worn such attire when they were still under one roof, but Chanyeol had said she’d just gotten a job at some bookstore. The second Namjoo got into a cab, he shifted gears and followed. As they drove through the streets, his eyes on the cab in front, he thought about all the times he’d had with Namjoo since they got married.

She’d been cold and reluctant with him. They’d had their awkward moments, but they were the memories that made his heart gush. Sehun hadn’t minded being patient with her. He’d promised to be good to her and was confident he had kept up his end of the bargain, but Namjoo still suffered because of him. Before getting married with her he had pleaded with words. This time around, would he have to get on his knees?

The car finally came to a stop and Sehun watched Namjoo step out of the cab and into the large building at the side. His eyes missed the very sight of her and he wanted to her against his chest, hold her there for an eternity, but this was what Namjoo had given up for him and had wanted again. A job.

That night as he went through the boxes of their clothes he thought about how Namjoo had looked in each specific clothing. If she was here with him, how quickly they would have organized everything. It was so quiet and lonesome.

*****

Namjoo lie awake and restless. All she had been able to think about all day…was Sehun alone. The shock on his face that morning and the apparent anger when he stared at her. Did he hate her for leaving him? Because she’d knowingly hurt him even after telling him she wanted to be with him?

Stretching out her left fingerss she stared at the finger that had worn the precious ring Sehun gifted her to tell the world she was his. Hugging it to her chest she thought about how if she turned she would find him sleeping beside her, and how easily she could curl up against him. Reminiscing the way he’d kissed her so intimately that night made her recall the texture of his lips, the brush of his tongue, and the strength of his body. Her heart ached with yearning. Sehun had been so kind with her, always waiting for her to say she was ready and comfortable with him.

As the moon continued to wane into the room she wondered why he still intently insisted on being with her.

*****

Chanyeol wasn’t sure how to react upon seeing Sehun standing on the other side of the door early the next morning. He was surprised how yesterday Sehun was standing here completely disoriented and flushed with anger. Today he was here with all-smiles and brightly lit eyes.

“Sehun…” he breathed the name out.

The corner of his friend’s lips curved up as if pulled by invisible hands, “Can I join you for breakfast this morning?”

Chanyeol opened his mouth to respond, but without waiting the friend walked in, looking around. “Say you invited me over.”

“What?” Chanyeol spun around.

Sehun only glanced back, asking without answering, “Is Namjoo and Soo Ae awake yet?”

“She went to get Soo Ae just now.” Like yesterday, Sehun gave him a scrutinizing stare. Chanyeol felt somewhat flabbergasted, but didn’t know how to express himself. He and Sehun never grew tense around each other before. In this moment he couldn’t tell whether Sehun was angry with him or not.

“You eat with them every morning?” Sehun pulled a chair out, invited himself to sit down.

“You could say so…”

“Does Namjoo always cook for you?” Chanyeol hesitated to answer his friend. Luckily, Soo Ae and Namjoo came right around the corner, halting when they noticed the uninvited visitor.

“Hey kiddo,” Chanyeol greeted then he shot Namjoo a wary stare. She would know Sehun had dropped in. He still lied anyway, “I invited Sehun over. Hope you don’t mind.” He watched Namjoo stare at Sehun before placing a hand at Soo Ae’s back.

“Sit down, Soo Ae.” The little girl didn’t budge from where she stood, not sure whether to sit beside her dad for her mother’s consideration or to sit on the other side to allow mom and dad together. In the end, Chanyeol helped by sitting down across from Sehun and called Soo Ae to sit with him.

He watched Namjoo settle into the seat beside Sehun without much of an expression on her face. The two of them were so complicated. Trying to figure out their range of emotions gave Chanyeol a headache. It was one of the worst breakfasts he ever had.

*****

It was a good thing Sehun didn’t stay long. She would have left if he hadn’t done so first. She was glad to get a breather away from Chanyeol’s apartment. One thing she got acquainted with in Muju was working outside of home. Sometimes stress within the walls of the home and thoughts crammed inside her head were so overpowering she needed escape. Work served as the ultimate release.

The streets were already starting to buzz with morning traffic and if she didn’t catch a cab in time, would be late for work. She couldn’t afford to be late on her second day, especially since this was her first job in a while. Losing it was too risky.

Darting toward the curb with her arm out and eyes toward her left, she only jumped a step back when a car screeched up to a halt in front of her. She barely recognized the car before the driver scrolled the passenger window down. A slight frown embarked over her face when she recognized Sehun.

“Get in, I’ll drop you off at work,” he offered.

Namjoo stared at him without letting expression on her face. “I can take a cab.” She stepped to the side, but Sehun quickly drove backward. Then she caught him glancing into the rearview mirror.

“Are you going to get in?” Sehun asked.

“I said I’ll take a cab.” Namjoo repeated herself with more emphasis.

A smirk climbed onto his face and he leaned his head to the side, “The drivers behind are going to get pretty angry because I’m blocking their way,” he left a quiet pause, “because of you.” Namjoo stared at him harder and glanced out of the corner of her eye at the car behind Sehun’s. Another red vehicle was driving their way.

Biting her lower lip she stomped forward, pulled the door open, and got in. From beside her she could hear Sehun laughing in victory. Darn him.

Busy morning traffic only made things worse. The longer they were on the road, the more time she had to spend with him in the car. The longer they were together, the more nervous she was about the things he had to say to her. She couldn’t tell whether he was angry or not, but she knew he was going to start doing exactly what he’d been doing all along.

Keeping her lips pressed, Namjoo trained her eyes on the road outside the side window. Making eye contact with Sehun would be a mistake right now. If he was capable of reading her eyes he would know she was as vulnerable as a cornered rat.

“When are you done? I’ll come pick you up.” Sehun asked.

“No,” she immediately replied then realizing she’d spoken as if she’d been anticipating it she her lips. “Don’t bother.” Namjoo was intent on keeping her eyes focused on the window, but couldn’t help turning to see him looking at her. If he thought she was being an oddball she wouldn’t disagree. Namjoo wanted to conjure up a shovel and dig her way underground.

“Ahh…” he moaned raising his elbow up against his chair, leaned his head against his hand, “it must be our luck getting stuck in traffic this morning.” Namjoo pressed her lips together and slightly glanced at him. When he caught her doing so a smile popped up onto his face and he turned away to stare at the line of cars ahead. Gulping, Namjoo turned away, silently scolding herself for being so anxious.

Without giving him directions Sehun pulled right up to the side of the road just beside her workplace. Namjoo stared out the window trying to figure out how he knew before mentally slapping herself. Obviously Chanyeol would have given her away, whether it was because he wanted to or because Sehun had forced it out of him. Either way, she was back within Sehun’s clutches.

Opening the door she stepped out to hear Sehun call after her, “I’ll see you later.”

Ignoring him she continued toward the front doors, focused on listening to him drive off. When he did she turned around to watch his car go down the road. A voice cackled within her head, taunting her with the fact that she wouldn’t be able to even to struggle if he hugged her.

*****

A happy but breathless laugh escaped his lips when he glanced into the rearview mirror to see Namjoo watching him drive off.

“She’s playing hard to get,” he spoke to himself. Coming to a stop light he halted the car and turned to the seat Namjoo had occupied. Unable to help himself, another large grin spread across his lips. Leaning his arm against her seat he bit onto his knuckle. A sudden wave of happiness fluttered through him and he so much wanted to end up hugging himself giggling.

Namjoo had been nervous in his presence, almost the exact same way she had when their relationship finally began progressing. It was no use being mad at her now. His wife was too cute to be angry with.

When the lights turned green he stepped on the accelerator to speed off. Suddenly, he couldn’t wait to get out of work.

*****

Namjoo was suddenly nervous when she got out of work. If Sehun was outside waiting for her, what would she do? Try to take a cab? Or go with him? Things weren’t supposed to be happening like this. Why did things never work her way?

Pushing the doors open she stepped out, looked from left to right. All the cars parked at the side were unaccompanied. No sign of Sehun. Partially relieved, she stepped out and still peered around. Sehun really wasn’t there. A kind of disappointment flowed helplessly through her even when she told herself it was better this way.

Memories of how Sehun was always outside with Soo Ae floated back to memory and she felt a pit of emptiness eat her up. She suddenly missed the way he always used Soo Ae to get her to do what they wanted. And Soo Ae…was always smiling and laughing then. Now…now her little girl was depressed and quiet. It made her wonder if she was forcing Soo Ae to stick with her, follow her ways instead of doing what she wanted.

What if…she had chosen Sehun the other day? Namjoo shook her head. She didn’t want to think about it, but she worried. She worried if Soo Ae was truly happy living her quiet way, trying to find peace away from where she’d been happy. If that would even work at all…for them…for her…for Soo Ae.

She’d been happy with Sehun. The thought dawned on her. That happiness was what she’d given up to save Soo Ae, but what if…it was ok to hold on again? Namjoo slowly stopped in her steps and stared at the ground. A cloud of conflicts appeared overhead, casting a shadow over her. A terrain of thoughts built up within her head.

Sehun’s mother would never accept them. Soo Ae would live up with her putdowns, her bantering. Namjoo couldn’t stand injustice being done to her daughter, the most important person to her. She, too, would have to go back to that pressure. The thoughts about it scared her.

She didn’t know what to do. What was best for them?

Namjoo ended up loitering around before finally heading to Chanyeol’s. She expected to hear the TV blaring, walk in to find both her daughter and Chanyeol on the couch with eyes glued to the television set. Instead, she stopped in the open doorway upon seeing Soo Ae sitting at the table eating cookies with a glass of milk in front of her and Sehun cooking something at the stove. Immediately glancing toward her right she saw that the living room was empty, which meant Chanyeol had gone somewhere. To leave them alone? To give them time together? Or had he gone to pick up some extra grocery?

Her insides bellowed and the earlier anxiety from earlier disappeared. The setting was very familiar, but this wasn’t what she’d expected. Closing the door and shaking her shoes off she stepped forward.

“Mommy,” Soo Ae slid off her chair with cookie still in hand. Touching her hand the little girl glanced up at her before turning to look nervously at Sehun. “Uncle Yeol let da…Uncle Se-Se in.” Something struck Namjoo’s heart when Soo Ae referred to Sehun as Uncle. She hadn’t called him that since they became family. How odd…and painful.

Pulling a smile on, Namjoo ran her hand around Soo Ae’s face, “It’s ok, Soo Ae. You can still call him daddy.” Soo Ae glanced up at her with wide unsure eyes and no longer said anything. A crippling silence of awkwardness splattered the atmosphere and she felt Soo Ae hug her before leaning against her, as if to assure her that she wasn’t planning to leave her side.

This was all so wrong, but Namjoo was unable to make it right either. She glanced toward the stove to find that Sehun hadn’t yet turned to look at them. She knew he must be aware of how conflicted they were.

The atmosphere finally lightened up when Chanyeol returned from wherever it was that he’d been. As she let him take over the kitchen she shot Sehun one last glance before taking Soo Ae into the living room. They sat together to enjoy a cartoon series she often watched when they still lived with Sehun, but her mind could not focus. Her eyes continuously drifted toward the kitchen where she sought for Sehun.

From where she sat she watched the two guys talk quietly and wanted to know what they were chatting up about. Whether it be about having a night out or work…or her. Most of all, she could feel it...that she wanted to talk with Sehun. Yet, Namjoo knew that if she were to talk to him she wasn’t going to say anything nice – not what her heart wanted to let out. If her heart had its own mouth, its own ability to speak, she was certain she would be standing in another room with Sehun.

Biting her tongue she forced herself to turn away. What use was it when all she wanted was to hear Sehun’s voice? 


***Ok, this might be one of the last updates for a while. We'll see how things go though. 

***Has anybody been watching Super Daddy Yeol? Whenever I watch it I always think of this story xD