Chapter 9

The Demigods

Suzy slowly opened her eyes to see her friends, brother, Chiron and Mr. D looking at her with worry. The moment she got up from bed, she was attacked with a hug from Kai. “Hey, hey. It’s not like I am dead.”She joked. Kai looked at her sharply. “Don’t you dare say that. Do you know what kind of scare you had given me? I was so afraid that I was going to lose you.”Kai said, his voice broken. She hugged him back. It was so nice to have a best friend who loved her like his own sister.

“Suzy, are you alright?”Jason asked. “I am fine, oppa.  Considering that I brought back six people to life, I am quite alright.”She showed off her killer smile. If Suzy wasn’t his sister, he would have normally sweated like a pig and fall down in a dead faint but now…he was immune to her irresistible charm. “Suzy, Lay and Kai, I have something important to discuss with you three. Would you come to the Mr. D’s office later on?”Chiron said urgently.

The three of them nodded, not knowing what was going to happen.

*At Mr. D’s office*

They sat down on the couch near Dionysus’s wine collection. All of them looked at the two men who stared back at them. “As such an incident where the half-blood children of the three elder gods are found is impossible to be exact; the gods want to see you.” Chiron sighed. Suzy choked on the diet coke Dionysus had given her. Lay patted her back, causing Kai to glare at him.

Chiron coughed. “Kids, look. It’s probably nothing. They might just want to meet you only. They can’t just disintegrate you for any reason.” he smiled uneasily. The three looked at each other with fear registered in their eyes. Suzy, who ironically was the bravest one, had spoken up first. “Um, sir…when do we leave?”She asked. “Tomorrow morning. So, I advise you, get a good night’s sleep.”Chiron said.

They got up and went outside. “So…good night to both of you. See you tomorrow.”Suzy said awkwardly as she hugged them both goodbye. She went inside her new cabin which still felt foreign. She went inside her room. Jason had already slept. “He looks adorable. I’ll take a picture of him.” she thought.  With the decided thought, she took a picture of him snoring and grinned mischievously. “I am going to show this to Thalia eonni when she comes back.” she smiled and drifted off to sleep.

*Next morning-7 o’clock*

Suzy who was in dream land was rudely disturbed by the alarm clock. She was about to hit it to snooze but then she realized, she was supposed to get ready to go to Olympus. She quickly got out of her sleeping bag and got dressed up in a white dress with a yellow cardigan and heels. Lightning Bolt was pinned on her long black hair which cascaded down her shoulders. Suzy was nervous. She was going to meet her father who she hadn’t seen in 15 years and it was probably going to be the last time as she might get disintegrated by him.

She went to the dining pavilion. Everyone who saw her including Chiron gasped in awe. They all knew that she was very beautiful even without even trying, but when she did try, not even Aphrodite herself could compare with her. Suzy shyly blushed at the attention she had gotten and sat with Jason whose mouth was still gaping.

“Oppa, you said you were and I quote my biggest fan. So, why are you looking at me like some crazy stalker?”She teased. “It’s just…seeing you like this…for the first time…in person…you know what I mean.” he grinned. “I know. You’re way too ugly to be my brother.” she joked, causing both of them to erupt into laughter.

Suzy looked over at Kai and Lay. They were also dressed up and they looked nervous. She gave them a smile of encouragement and continued devouring her breakfast. After breakfast, they all got into the silver SUV Chiron was driving and said their goodbyes to their friends.

He drove away from the camp and along the Long Island beach. Although they drove along the road once, the road looked much picturesque considering there was no monster ready to eat them up. Suzy, who was in the front seat, slightly put her head out of the window and smiled peacefully, feeling the fresh, salty sea air on her face and the light rain which accompanied it. The two men who sat behind couldn’t help but smile at the girl in front of them.

They finally reached New York. There was fog everywhere around them. Traffic surrounded the vehicle and they could hear the curses said by the drivers. “Chiron, where is Olympus?”Suzy asked. “It’s over there, child.” said Chiron, pointing at the….Empire State Building. They’re shocked out of their mind. “Huh? How?”Her voice trailed off as they parked in front of the massive building. All of them went inside the building. “600th floor, please.”Chiron asked the attendant. Suzy, Lay and Kai looked at each other in confusion.

The attendant smiled and ushered them into the elevator. The elevator passed 100 floors, 200 floors and so on and so forth. It surprisingly reached the 600th floor. The elevator opened and what they had seen next literally blew their minds. Olympus was nothing like they had imagined-it was even more than that. Everything glittered gold, white and silver.

Chiron ushered them through the markets. All of the people had knelt before them in respect. They blushed with the attention they were receiving. They finally reached the Olympian throne room. It made Grand Central Station look like a broom closet. All 13 Olympians were present in their 5-metre glory looking at the three very powerful demigods appraisingly. They shifted uncomfortably. Suzy stared at her father Zeus. He was handsome and well-groomed. He wore a pinstriped suit and he had a grim expression on his face. His expression eased and he smiled at his daughter.

Lay and Kai stared at their fathers as well. Hades was pale with long black hair and eyes. He wore a gold crown and a black gown. His expression was intense. Father and son stared into each other’s eyes. Poseidon looked the most easiest to approach. “He’s definitely the handsomest.” thought Suzy. He had twinkling, laughing green eyes with jet black hair. He wore a Hawaiian shirt with Bermuda shorts. His smile made Suzy giggle shyly. She realized that Lay and Poseidon had the same smiles.

They knelt on the ground in respect to the 13 Olympians. Well, at least Kai and Lay did. Suzy, due to her dress, just curtsied and looked down shyly. “Welcome, godlings.”Zeus bellowed. It made them look up in awe and fear. Suzy searched everywhere for Chiron. He wasn’t there. He must’ve left when they saw their fathers.  “Now, now. You’re scaring them, brother. Welcome, kids. I am Poseidon.” the tan-skinned man had smiled. He then faced Lay and his eyes twinkled. “Yixing, my boy. You’ve grown.” Poseidon shrank down to normal size and gave him a pat on his shoulder.

The two other gods shrank as well. “Hello, Jong-in.”Hades said awkwardly. “Hello…father.”Kai said hesitatingly, as if the word ‘father’ was foreign to him. “All of us saw you last night. Pretty bold move making the king of gods your enemy.”Hades teased, whispering. Kai blushed a little.

Ignoring Hades and glaring at Kai, Zeus faced his daughter. “Hello, Suzy….”Zeus said with an easy, gracious smile. “I know that I haven’t been the great-“Zeus was cut off by his estranged daughter’s bear hug. “It’s okay, dad. You’re here now.” she said. Zeus smiled and patted her back. Just then, they heard a cough which Suzy felt was directed to her. She looked up and saw a beautiful, silver-haired woman sitting on a throne made of peacock feathers looking at her with disdain. It was her stepmom (?) Hera.

“Aren’t you going to address the lady of the house, girl?”Hera asked haughtily. Suzy smiled, not letting Hera bother her reunion with her father.  “I am sorry, Lady Hera. Seeing my father again, I failed to notice you. My, you look even lovelier than I expected.” she said with a sweet smile. Hera was surprised. “O-oh, um well, I…I accept your apology.” said Hera as she smoothed her dress. Zeus grinned. Suzy turned and smiled at the rest of the gods. “Oh, hello. Mr. D.”Suzy waved at Dionysus who waved back and smiled like an idiot.

Suzy scanned the room for Demeter and Athena. She was stumped when she saw Athena. Krystal was an exact copy of her mother-the same grey eyes, long black hair, and porcelain skin with a cold, stoic expression. Demeter, who sat on a throne woven of apple branches, smiled at her. She was reminded of Fei- the dark hair with cat-like brown eyes with a warm smile. Then her eyes met Aphrodite’s. Aphrodite’s light blue eyes reminded Suzy of her mother’s. Weird…

“So, why did you call us here?”Suzy asked. “Well…as you know, you three are the children of the three elder gods, so all of us have decided…”Zeus said. Suzy froze. Was he seriously going to destroy them? “”We decided that you’re going to come live with us for the month!” Zeus added. Suzy took a deep sigh of relief. They weren’t going to kill them. But then she became nervous. Living in Olympus for a month? For what?

“Suzy’s going to stay here in Olympus. Lay is going to Poseidon’s palace underwater and Kai is going to the Underworld. This is to train you and keep your powers under control…after what happened yesterday.”Zeus said. “Say what?”Suzy looked at Kai and Lay with confusion who in turn blushed and shifted their feet. “I was the only one who used powers. So how can Lay and Kai oppa…”her voice trailed off when she realized something. Something must’ve happened after she out. 

“We’ll show you what happened.”Zeus said, as if reading her thoughts. A huge TV appeared in front of them and an image paved its way through. Suzy saw that she was rushed to the infirmary. Kai looked…mad. “Whoever did this will suffer.” he declared. Suddenly, the whole camp armory came behind him. Swords, spears, lances…You name it. 

He was stunned but he shrugged it off. Everyone hid behind something.  Suzy looked at the Kai on the screen. He wasn’t the man she knew. He looked…vicious. Just then, a huge geyser of water hit him. Kai looked bewildered and turned to the source. It was Lay. “Stop it. You can’t just harm innocent people, Jong-in. Get those weapons back.”Lay ordered.

“Oh, yeah! Well, what are you going to do? Blast me into the water? Hyung, you know very well that I won’t stop until I find that guy.”Kai retorted. “Well, that guy is in the infirmary right now. Suzy did this to save us from whoever attacked us.”Lay reasoned.  “Okay, then. Well, I am going to find the guy who did this to you guys.”Kai replied. “You leave me no choice then, Jong-in.” Lay sighed.

Lay willed the water to rise and had created a gigantic bubble. He was about to cast it on Kai when it popped. Kai had thrown a spear at it, causing it to pop. “Oh, that’s the last straw.”Lay growled. The TV screen went blank. Suzy looked at her two friends. They blushed. “So you now see why. You three are the most powerful demigods we have ever seen, but you can’t control it. So we’re going to train you guys.”Zeus said with the approval of the other gods in the council.

“Hmm,okay. But I am going to have to ask my mom.”Suzy said. Zeus immediately choked as Hera glared at him. Suzy raised her eyebrow. “Are you okay, dad?”She asked with concern. Zeus nodded. “Yes, yes. Go on, call your mom.”Zeus smiled. The other 11 gods snickered. They had never seen Zeus in this light. Suzy pulled out a golden drachma from her pocket and threw it in a fountain.

“O, Iris, goddess of the rainbow. Please accept my offering.”Suzy said. The mist shimmered. “Bae Ji-hyun, please.”She said. The mist shimmered once more and Suzy along with everyone in the room saw her mother. Her mother, who worked as a professor in a university, was grading papers. She was munching on a chicken wing when she had seen her daughter. “Hey sweetie. What are you doing, my bunny? How’s camp treating you?”Gianna said in her usual maternal tone.

But then she saw the Olympians. She dropped the wing and blushed beetroot red.   Suzy was unsure, but she thought she heard ‘beautiful’ coming out from her dad. Suzy looked at her mother. She was dressed in a long, oversized shirt with a pair of shorts. Her natural brown hair which had red streaks shone in the room, her blue eyes which she normally hid with brown contacts twinkled like stars and her wrinkle-free face was red.  Zeus was right. She was beautiful- in spite of being caught with a chicken wing.

“Hello, lords and ladies of Olympus.”Gianna stammered out when she regained her composure. “Hi, Gianna.”Zeus said shyly. Suzy looked at her father with surprise. Well, they all did. Zeus was never shy. “Hey, oppa.”Gianna eased up, giving Zeus her killer smile. Just then, they heard Hera coughing. “Oh, um…Gianna…Suzy wants to ask you something.” he stammered out. “Mom, may I stay with dad at Olympus the month? He’s going to teach me how to control my powers.”Suzy asked. “Sure, sweetheart. Say hi to your grandma for me.”Gianna smiled as she waved her hand through the mist.

Suzy was puzzled. “Grandmother?”She thought. “That would be me.” a female voice quipped. Suzy turned around to see Aphrodite smiling at her.  “This is going to be some stay.”Suzy thought.