Chapter 31-The Prelude

The Demigods

“Jung Soojung, no way! I am not going to let you do that.”Suzy screamed at her best friend who had an adamantly determined expression on her face. Krystal had chosen to give up her immortality and considering that Tao was head over heels in love with her, he had chosen to do this as well.

“Yah, Bae Suji. Why not? I wouldn’t be able to bear it if you grow old and die while the others and I remain forever young.”Krystal shot back, scrunching her nose which she always did when she was determined to have her way.

Suzy sighed. Krystal was like her mother Athena; she wouldn’t coax, cajole, yell, beg and plead to get her way. She would manipulate like the cool tactician she was.

Suzy took her best friend’s hand and stared into her eyes penetratingly. “Jung Soojung, I chose to do this for the fallen. If I was in your shoes, I would’ve taken it and be happy with the one I love. You and Tao don’t have to give up this great gift just for my sake.”She smiled at the younger girl.

Krystal broke away from her hold and thought deeply for a moment. She then sighed. “Fine, I won’t do it. But promise me if Zeus grants you this wish again, take it.”Krystal said with a warning look.  

Suzy smiled and hugged the younger girl tightly. Just then, her personal Olympus attendant, Cypress came running in and bowed deeply to her. “My lady.”She said, still not looking at her.

Suzy shifted uncomfortably. She had rejected immortality but she was still the daughter of Zeus and the granddaughter of Aphrodite, hence the title and considering that she had killed Kronos and saved the entire world, she would be treated as one of the gods. She was given more respect and power than any other demigod. She didn’t want it. It felt weird. She wanted to be treated as a normal girl.

“Yes, Cypress? What is it?”She asked, worried about the expression on the nature spirit’s face.

“My lady, we have found your mother’s and Naeun’s body.”

Suzy froze. The horrific memory of how her mother and Naeun had been killed replayed in her mind. She had seen them go down into the Han River as the bridge exploded. She had never expected to see their corpses again.  Silent tears streamed down her face.

“My lady...”

“Cypress, take Krystal and get ready. I will come. I just want to be alone for a few moments.”

Suzy smiled at her attendant and friend who had concerned looks on their faces.  She ushered them out of the room, the brave smile still on her face. As soon as they went out, she leaned against the door and let out muffled cries.

-

*Zeus’s chamber*

Kai and Lay were present in Zeus’s chamber. They were going to have the talk. Zeus paced around, glaring at the two demigods. They gulped. This wasn’t going to be good.

“So both of you idiots love my daughter, right?”Zeus asked, still glaring at his nephews. They nodded.

“Well, I can’t just blow you to bits. You’re my nephews and my daughter will never forgive me if I do so.” He sighed.

They both sighed in relief. That was the best news they had heard all day long.

“But,” he said, “I have to ask you one thing. Do you love her enough to give up immortality?”

That was a clincher. Did they love her enough to give up immortality? Just then, a nature spirit had come in and bowed at the three men.

“Sire, we have found Ms. Bae’s and Ms. Son’s body. The burning of their shrouds begins in an hour.”The spirit had said, kneeling in front of the god.

Tears streamed from his cold, grey eyes. With a snap of his fingers, he had changed into a black suit and his long hair was cropped into a manlier haircut. He turned to them with a cold, steely gaze.

“I need to go now. I need to take care of everything. Think about what I said, boys.”With another snap of his fingers, he had disappeared, the smoke dissolving into the air and the spirit following him.

Kai and Lay both looked at each other inquiringly.

“Hyung, do you think you can give up immortality?”Kai asked.

“I don’t know, Jongin.”

“Well, first things first. We need to get Suzy through this. I know that she won’t be able to bear this alone.”

Lay nodded. And they exited the room, wanting to help the girl, not as the woman they both loved but as a friend through the unbearable ordeal she was going to face.

-

The Muses played Mozart’s Requiem as the shrouds of the fallen demigods on both sides were carried into the courtyard. Suzy who was dressed in black from head to toe sat next to her father and stepmother as she tried not to have a mental breakdown. She wanted to send her mother off to Elysium with a smile on her face.

“Shh, sweetheart. Please don’t cry. Your mother wouldn’t have wanted you to send her off with tears, would she?”Hera asked consolably as she noticed the girl silently crying behind her black veil.

Suzy nodded and smiled weakly at her stepmother. She then looked in front as Apollo, who was the god of prophecy, stepped onto the podium and started to eulogize the fallen. He was wearing a black suit and Ray bans which covered his tear filled eyes. His blonde hair sparkled in the sunlight and he put on a brave smile when he looked at Suzy.

“And now a few words from Suzy about beloved Gianna.”Apollo announced.

Suzy looked at the god, surprised. She couldn’t do that. She knew that she was going to have a nervous breakdown if she tried. But reassured by Apollo’s sparkly and comforting smile, she stepped up and stared into the audience. Zeus and Aphrodite were on the brink of crying, Hades had a dead expression on his face, still mourning for his son, Hera, Artemis, Poseidon and Athena smiled encouragingly at her and Dionysus was gulping down a bottle of wine.

“Hello…everyone…”Suzy awkwardly said as she inclined her head respectfully at the mourners. “My mom was…unique. She had me at 19 and she didn’t abandon me. She…s-sacrificed her own happiness for mine. She got a bad case of the flu while getting me medicine in the rain. She She supported me when I wanted to become an idol singer.  She…was my everything.”Suzy felt her tears forming again.

“Omma, please be happy in Elysium,” Suzy said with a brilliant smile, “I love you…”She whispered, not audible for anyone to hear.

She got down and bowed at all of them. She then quickly ran into her room and shut the door. Zeus and her friends followed her and knocked on the door to get in and pacify her.

“Suji-yah,”Krystal yelled, “Please open the door.”

“Please go away, Krys. Leave me alone.”

“No, I won’t. You’re my best friend, woman. What is a friend good for if she can’t comfort her friend?”

“Jung Soojung, if you don’t leave, I swear I’ll never talk to you.”Suzy warned.

Krystal sighed and turned to Zeus, Kai and Lay. “You’re on your own, dudes. I’d rather die than to give Suzy’s friendship up.”Krystal said as she walked towards Tao and tightly held his hand.

Zeus sighed and turned to Kai and Lay. “Pacify her.”Zeus ordered.

“What?”

“You heard me. Pacify her and impress me. Now go.”

The two sighed and nodded. Both of them knocked on the door.

“Bae Suji, open the door.”Kai requested.

“Kim Jongin, leave me alone.”

“Suji-yah, please. For your own good, open the door.”Lay begged.

“No, oppa. Go away!”She sobbed.

The two men looked at each other and had a telepathic conversation.

“Hyung, why don’t we break down the door?”Kai suggested.

“Are you crazy? Lady Hera will kill us.”Lay shook his head.

“Fine! We won’t break it down. But we’ll have to shadow travel.”

Kai grabbed Lay’s hand and they shadow-traveled into Suzy’s room. She was sobbing gently when she suddenly felt their presence and looked up at them. She glared.

“H-how di-id y-you get in here?”Suzy asked, stammering.

“Shadow travel.”Kai explained.

“P-please g-g-get out.”Suzy stuttered.

“No, we won’t. Bae Suji, don’t be a coward. Be womanly enough to send everyone off to Elysium. They deserve this and you deserve closure.”Lay scolded loudly, breaking out of his shy and gentle demeanour.

Shocked, she stared at him. She shrugged her shoulders and exhaled deeply, attempting to get rid of her hiccups. She opened the door and they walked out together.

Suzy breathed in sad relief as she lit up her mother’s pyre. Her shroud was light blue with a pretty little white rose on it. “Goodbye, mommy. Love you.”Suzy whispered as the smoke dissolved into the sky.

She was comforted by the fact that her mother along with many others would get Elysium and be happy. But she knew her mother was going to try for rebirth three times and get the Isles of Blest. She deserved it. She would probably meet her favorite hero, Theseus. She chuckled gently at the thought.

*2 weeks later*

They were back at camp. They stayed in camp for two weeks to keep a low profile from the surviving monsters in Kronos’ army. But now it was safe and time for them to go. Suzy was packing her belongings when she heard a cough and knock on the door. She turned around and saw a familiar male figure leaning against her door.

“Hey, oppa. What are you doing here?”Suzy asked.

A/N:This is the prelude to the endings, my dearies. ;)