Chapter 6

The Demigods

Suzy was in the arena chopping down dummies with a huge sword she had gotten from an Ares counselor. The guy was a fan, so he gave her his sword to practice with. Her mind was still on the embarrassing incident with Kai. She was his best friend.  So, this was awkward. Really awkward. She left the arena to go to Zeus’s fist. Somehow, the place calmed her although it looked a huge stone pile of deer droppings. Just then, she bumped into something big. Really big.

She looked up and she almost fainted. It was a centaur. “Holy crap!”She yelled, falling on the ground. The centaur chuckled. She noticed Grover who was next to the centaur. “Oh gods. Are you okay?”Grover asked, helping her up. “Yeah, I am fine. Thank you.” she smiled, making the satyr blush. “Suzy, this is Chiron, the camp’s activities director.”Grover introduced.

 “Hello, sir. I am sorry for overreacting.”Suzy apologized. “It’s alright, my dear. I have been looking forward to meeting you. Come, it’s time for lunch. I am guessing you haven’t eaten since yesterday after your…encounter with the Minotaur.”Chiron said, smiling at the girl’s stomach which rumbled.  She giggled and she nodded.

“It’s good that you have a healthy appetite. Come, I shall introduce you to the camp director, Mr. D.”Chiron said smiling. She nodded and was ushered into Mr. D’s office. Mr. D was playing pinochle with a couple of satyrs and didn’t see them coming in. “Mr. D…”Grover trailed off, as if afraid of what the god would do to him.

“Can’t you see that I am busy, Underwood?”He asked, irritated. “Mr. D, we have a new camper.”Chiron said finally. “So what? This is nothing compared to…Hello.”Dionysus stopped when he looked up and saw a young, beautiful girl. He smiled at her and she smiled back innocently, unaware of his reputation here in Camp Half-blood. “What is your name, my child?”He said gently, causing Grover and Chiron to look at each other and laugh silently at Mr. D’s changed behavior.

“Bae Suzy, sir. It’s such a pleasure to be here.” she smiled at him. “You’re such a well-mannered girl. Unlike that other one with the gray eyes who was giving me attitude. What was her name?” he grumbled.  “It was Krystal, sir.”Grover said, discomforted.

“Oh, yeah. Krystal. She is just like Athena. A know-it-all.” he grumbled again. Suzy shifted uncomfortably at the mention of her best friend. Krystal wasn’t ill-mannered. She was just…misunderstood.

Awkward silence hung in the air. “Well, Dionysus. We must get to lunch.”Chiron said, breaking the silence. “Yeah, yeah. Goodbye, my dear.”Dionysus had waved cheerily at the girl who waved back with a smile on her face.  “He’s a nice man.”Suzy remarked, leaving Chiron and Grover in disbelief.

“The gods are making us crazy, my child.”Chiron sighed. “No, sir. We’re not going crazy. There’s just something about that girl no one can resist.”Grover remarked. Chiron nodded. “Now let us see what happens when the claiming begins. It’ll be very… amusing.” he chuckled with a playful glint in his eyes. 

Suzy saw that there was no one in the Hermes cabin, meaning that everyone had left for the dining pavilion. She sighed. “Oh, no. I am late. I need to go now or there won’t be any food left.” thought the greedy side of her. She ran to the diving pavilion, out of breath. Everyone stared at her. It would’ve been awkward if Krystal hadn’t motioned her to come to the table. She sighed again, this time with relief.

“Hey, Krystal.” she said with a smile as she sat next to the girl. “So, where were you, Su?”Krystal asked. “I was at the arena, chopping down dummies. And then, I met the camp director, Mr. D. He’s such a nice man.” she added, making Krystal cringe. “I don’t like that man. He is an .”Krystal whispered. “Speak of the devil.” she grumbled as Mr. D had entered the room. He glared at Krystal which made her glare back at him.

“To welcome the new campers who have made it all in one piece, we shall offer sacrifice of food to any god of your choosing.”Chiron said. Suzy looked at her platter which had meat, lettuce, mashed potatoes and a strawberry. Was she supposed to give that up? “Suzy-ah, an Aphrodite camper told me that we have to sacrifice only a part of our food.” Kai smiled, as if he read her thoughts. She smiled sheepishly.

The other campers went outside. They followed. Then what the new half-bloods had seen was shocking. Instead of offering it the normal way, they burned it, murmured a silent prayer and set the offering of food adrift. Suzy was hesitant at first about the thought of offering burnt food to the gods but to her surprise, it smelled normal.

She shrugged, wanting to avoid the curse of the gods. Using the lighter of some Apollo kid, she burnt her food and she prayed to her father. “Whoever you are, please send me a signal, so I know that you still care for me. I love you, daddy.” She thought as she set her offering adrift.

Suddenly, thunder crackled. Everyone looked up in shock. She could hear whispers and murmurs directed at her. Kai and Krystal looked at her as if to tell her to shake it off. She nodded and went back inside.

Suddenly, everyone gasped. She looked around to see a hologram of a vulture floating over Tao’s and Rap Monster’s head. “All hail Huang Zitao and Kim Namjoon, the sons of Ares, the god of war.”Chiron had announced. Rap Monster smiled uneasily but Tao looked horrified.

 “This can’t be. I don’t want to be the son of Ares. I wanted Aphrodite or Hephaestus to claim me. This…cannot be.” he rambled under his breath. But nonetheless, he was ushered to the Ares table along with Rap Monster by some satyr where the Ares campers welcomed them with ease, slapping them on their backs. Tao winced in pain but he still managed to give a smile.

Then, another hologram appeared. This time, it was of a raven and it was above Yerin and Jimin’s head. “Park Jimin and Baek Yerin, the daughters of Apollo, the god of music, poetry and medicine. Rise, kids.”Chiron said with a smile on his face. The two girls giggled and hugged each other. They skipped to the Apollo table where they fit in immediately. Similarly, Henry and Fei got claimed by Demeter, the goddess of the earth, Na-eun got claimed by Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty.

All of the campers were shocked. This was the first time there had been a rush for the claiming of demigods. A hologram of an owl appeared over Krystal which meant she was claimed by Athena, the goddess of wisdom. Krystal looked at Suzy with a look of apology on her face. Suzy gave her a comforting smile and motioned her to go to the Athena table. Krystal smiled, and left for the Athena table where Annabeth had met her with a comforting smile.

Suzy was glad for her friend but she was an emotional mess. Lots of feelings were going through her head. Enragement, sadness, embarrassment etc. She looked at Kai and Lay who looked the same. Just then, a collection of rays fell on the room. The three looked at each other, puzzled as the others looked at them with shock.  

They then looked up. There was a hologram of a trident floating over Lay, a two-pronged staff over Kai’s and of a thunderbolt over Suzy’s head. Suzy held Kai’s hand tightly. All of the campers, including them gasped. This only meant one thing. People murmured across the room. “This can’t be…this is not good...”were the murmurs they had heard.

Nonetheless, Chiron cleared his throat and announced their claiming. “Kim Jongin, the son of Hades, lord of the Underworld. Zhang Yixing, the son of Poseidon, god of the seas and finally, Bae Suzy, daughter of Zeus, the king of gods and the god of lightning and all skies. Rise, children.”Chiron announced.

They got up; embarrassed at the special attention they received and went to their respective tables. Lay sat with Percy, awkwardly smiling at him. Kai sat alone at the newly made Hades table and grumbled. Suzy sat with Thalia who welcomed her with a bear hug. “Hi, little sister. Welcome to the family.” She whispered. Suzy smiled. Even though the fact that she was the daughter of the king of the Greek gods still shocked her, she was happy she now had someone by her side.