Chapter 21

The Demigods

“Why did I have to fall for Kris Wu? Why did I listen to him?”She thought, cursing herself.

-

*February 2013*

Son Naeun was in her prime. Her group A-Pink was getting its well-deserved fame, she was established as a formidable rookie actress and she had been a blue-chip of the commercial and variety industry. But then…she met him. It was the ISACs. His tall height and his handsome, brooding features stood out. She found herself giggling and blushing uncomfortably even though she didn’t even talk to him.

“He’s hot, isn’t he?”Eunji said suddenly, creeping up behind Naeun, making the younger girl flinch in surprise. Naeun cursed herself but she kept her cool and looked at Eunji as if she didn’t know what the older Busan girl was talking about. “Who, eonnie?”Naeun asked chicly. “Kris Wu. The tall, Chinese guy in EXO. He’s hot, isn’t he?”The older girl asked again. Naeun glanced at the blonde guy who was smiling and laughing with his fellow members. She promised herself not to spazz out in front of her member.

“I haven’t really noticed…”Naeun said, pushing a luscious brown strand of her hair back into place. “Liar. I can see it in your face. Go talk to him.”Eunji pushed her slightly forward. Naeun looked at Eunji and back at Kris. She smiled. “Maybe I will. Thanks eonnie.”Naeun smiled at the girl and went in Kris’s direction but then, she almost tripped. She would’ve had a nasty fall if it wasn’t for the strong pair of arms that caught her.

She looked up and saw…Kris. She blushed furiously. “Great. Now he will think I am some dork.”She cursed. He helped her up and she bowed. “I am so sorry, Kris-shhi.”She apologized sheepishly. He wasn’t paying attention to her. He was staring at something. He then looked at the A-Pink member and snapped out of his reverie. Kris smiled politely and shook his head. “No, it’s okay. It was just an accident.  It’s not like you did this on purpose.” he grinned. “You’re Naeun, right? Son Naeun?”He asked. She nodded, spazzing inwardly over how he knew her.

He smiled. “We met during Taemin’s surprise event, remember?”He reminded. Then it clicked.  They did meet during her fake husband’s surprise event. “Man, you can devour meat.” he teased, making her color. “All jokes aside, it was nice to meet you, Naeun-shhi.”He bowed to her. He turned to leave. “Wait!”She yelled. He turned around, confused. He looked annoyed but Naeun didn’t see that. “Um…may I have your number?”She asked. He grinned. “Are you asking me out, Naeun-shhi? Aren’t you cheating on Taemin?”He asked teasingly.

She was now flustered. “Aniyo. It’s just I want to thank you with a cup of coffee for saving me.” she defended herself weakly. He smirked. “Sure.” he said. He typed in his phone number into her phone. “Call me.” he mouthed with a ‘call’ gesture as he strolled away. She squealed in excitement and happiness. But then curious, she looked at the direction he was staring at. Suzy, Kai and Sehun, three of her classmates from school, were having a bubble tea drinking contest. She smiled. “He is such a good hyung.”She giggled.

Little did she know, he was looking at someone else.

-

*November 2013*

Naeun and Kris became good friends. They cheered each other up when they’re going through difficulties and Naeun always got a cup of hot coffee for him to drink. But along with her friendship, her feelings grew. What started out as a mere crush turned to love, or that’s what she thought. No, she was sure. She was in love with Kris Wu. She decided she would confess to him the next time she saw him.

“Hey, oppa.”She waved cheerfully at the tall, handsome man who seemed disgruntled. Her cheerful smile dissolved into a worried expression.  “Are you okay?”She asked. “Huh?”He said, snapping out of his reverie. “Oh, nothing much. Just family issues.” he dismissed it simply. Naeun still looked on with worry. She wanted to dig deep but it was none of her business.

“So why did you ask me here?”He asked, changing the subject. She had called him to the park where no one was in sight. “Um…”she went on. She regretted what she did next. She kissed him on the lips. “I like you, oppa. Will you accept my heart?”Naeun confessed. His face flushed red and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack. “I-I am sorry, Naeun-ah…I can’t. You’re my friend. I value our friendship and honestly, I like someone else.” he told. Kris got up and ran away, leaving Naeun to cry on the swings. “Why am I such an idiot?”She thought.

-

*May 2014*

‘EXO's Kris to Terminate His Contract, Files Lawsuit against SM’ the headline on the news read. Naeun almost spit out her coffee. She gripped her tablet tightly as she read the article in tears. “How can he do this?”She thought to herself. Just then, her phone buzzed. She looked at the text. It was from Kris.

Meet me at the park in 15 minutes.  

    -Kris

She quickly zipped up her jacket and drove to the park where she saw Kris. Although he was wearing a disguise, she could still recognize him from his tall height and chic, stoic expression. She sat next to him on the bench. “Oppa, how could you do this? The rest of your members need you. I need you.” she ranted. He sighed. “I know. I didn’t intend for this to happen. My family wants me to quit.” he said. “Why?”She asked. “My grandfather isn’t a big fan of me and my music. He wants me to quit and help him out in the family business.” he admitted.

“So, you’re just going to let him take over your life?”She asked angrily. “You don’t understand, Naeun. It’s…complicated. Anyways, I am leaving in an hour. I came here to say goodbye. And I hope we can be friends.” he smiled sadly. He kissed her on the forehead and left the park. She laughed at her ironic fate. “He left me again in the same park.” she thought with amusement, although tears fell down from her face.

-

*July 2014*

Naeun was in Camp Half blood. She liked the beautiful scenery to the place and she felt that she fitted in with the others, especially her siblings from the Aphrodite cabin. Yes, she was a bit embarrassed and jealous over the fact that Suzy saved her and Tao without getting scratched and she was now in the spotlight for it along with her great parentage, but she didn’t let it get to her.

Just then, she had gotten a call from Kris. Curiosity killed the cat, as she picked up the call. “Hello, oppa.”She said cheerfully. “Hey, Naeun.”he replied. “Oppa, you won’t believe where I am.” she said. “I know. I know. You’re in Camp Half blood. Big whoop. But it brings me to my purpose. I need a favor.”Kris said. Naeun was shocked. How could he have possibly known that?

“What kind of favor?”She asked. She heard him sigh as he told her everything. She was stunned and angry. “You’re siding with Kronos?!”She yelled into the phone. Thankfully, no one was about. “Please, listen.”Kris pleaded. He told her his side of the story. Naeun was in tears by the time he was done, but she wasn’t going to budge. “Please, Naeun-ah. I beg of you. Please be our new spy. I trust only you. You’re the most special person I know.” he begged. That melted her right away.

“Okay, I’ll help. What do I have to do?”She asked. Naeun could feel Kris’s face brighten. “It’s simple. You just have to report to us whatever goes on in the camp.” he instructed. “Okay, I will.” she agreed. “I owe you, Son Naeun. You’re the only person I trust now.” he said, making her blush. And so, Naeun became the new spy for Kronos. Of course, she was caught and was now an outcast, but she actually didn’t care. She had Kris by her side. But now she regretted it. The person she kissed on the cheek wasn’t him. It was Kronos.

*Now*

“Naeun, come in here.”Kronos yelled, making Naeun snap out of her daydream. She immediately reported to him and bowed in respect. “How are your charmspeak skills?”he asked. “They’re quite good.”She answered, her shoulders shrugged. “Good. I need you to get this girl for me.” he said, pointing at a picture on the table. Naeun took a look at the picture and her eyes widened. “Choi Jinri?!”she thought.