Chapter 22

The Demigods

“What?”Suzy yelled at her father during their conversation via Iris-message. “Don’t yell, sweetie. I am telling you this for your own good. Artemis didn’t want anyone to know this except us and her Hunters. But her daughter is a key component in this war. Get her on your side. She’ll be of great use.”Zeus reasoned. “Dad, I am not shocked about that. It’s just…how can Artemis have a daughter? She’s chaste.”Suzy admitted.

“Oh, she still is. She just fell off the wagon for a little bit by falling in love with an archer on the National team. They didn’t do…stuff. It’s how Athena has her kids. Athena has her kids through her brain, right? Similarly, Artemis had her only daughter born via a walnut tree.” he explained. “Please, daughter. Get her on your side. She is a very powerful demigod.”Zeus pleaded. Suzy sighed. “Fine, appa. Who is she?”Suzy asked. “Choi…Jinri.”He said, trying to pronounce the name correctly. Suzy looked at her father wide-eyed.

“What? It can’t be Sulli eonnie! I met her mom.”Suzy said. “That was her stepmother, my child.”Zeus said, shaking his head. Suzy was about to say something when Krystal came running to her. “Suzy, Ssul’s been kidnapped!”Krystal exclaimed. Her sprained ankle had been better due to the salve Jimin had applied on her. Suzy stood frozen in horror. She turned to her father. “Dad, I need to go save Jinri. So I need to go. Sorry.”She apologized. “It’s alright, my dear. Go have fun and remember what I said.”Zeus waved his hand through the Mist.

She turned around and saw Krystal looking at her, curious. “What did he say to you, Su?”Krystal asked. “It’s complicated, Krys. I’ll tell you along with everyone else at the office.”Suzy replied. Krystal just shrugged and followed Suzy into the office.

*SM office*

“What?”Krystal yelled. Suzy sighed and looked at everyone in the office. They had the same shocked expression as she did. “I know. I am still not over it as well.”Suzy said. She glanced at her mother who had a knowing expression on her face. “Mom, did you know about this?”She asked. Gianna nodded.

“I was her confidant, although I wasn’t a Hunter anymore. I wasn’t pregnant with you at the time, but I was dating your dad. She told me that she was with child. Of course, I was shocked, considering that she was against love, but I supported her. So, she took leave from her Hunters as she was in search of a ‘monster’, when in actuality, she lived with me. Nine months later, she had her daughter via a walnut tree which I still can’t believe happened and she gave the baby back to the father.”Gianna explained.

She then sighed. “I promised Artemis that no harm would ever befall her daughter. And I am not going to break that promise now.” she said grimly. She got up, her hunting knife in hand. “So who’s coming?”She asked with a huge smile plastered on her face. Suzy and Krystal looked at each other, grinning and returned the older woman’s smile.

*Meanwhile at Kronos’ camp*

Sulli was tied up on a chair. She still didn’t know what was happening. One moment, she was taking a break from practicing, the next thing what happened was that she was gagged and now she was in a godforsaken place, all tied up. She looked down at the ground and whimpered. Just then, someone came in the tent. “Hello, Choi Jinri.”A familiar voice had said. She looked up in surprise and froze. “K-Kris…o-o-oppa…”she stuttered. She looked back down at the ground in fear. “It’s Kronos, sweetie. Kris is just my hospitable host.” he grinned. He went up to her and lifted her chin up.

“So beautiful.” he muttered. Sulli couldn’t help but blush. Bad guy or not, he was still gorgeous. But she was still scared. “Why am I here?”She asked her voice cracking. Kris was now at the far corner of the tent, staring at the girl intensely. “Well, you’re here because we need you in our army. You’re a powerful demigod, girl. We aren’t yet sure of your parentage but we know you’re a demigod and that too, a powerful one.” he smiled. “And also, you make very good leverage.” he grinned; now laughing.

“Leverage? Leverage for what?”Sulli asked, confused. “Oh boy.” he sighed. “You are my granddaughter’s best friend. And her fatal flaw being her kindness and loyalty, she’ll certainly hand herself over to me in exchange for your life.” he explained. “Of course, I am the one who’s benefited from this because I am certainly not going to release you.” he continued with a smirk on his face.

Sulli stared at him in horror. “No, you can’t do that.” she said, trying to free herself from the ropes.  “Oh, sweetheart. Trying to free yourself is useless. These ropes are made up of Pegasus hair, so it’s no use.” he grinned. “Well, I have to go now and prepare for the arrival of our esteemed guests. Bye bye.” he cooed while kissing her on the cheek. She felt disgusted. As soon as he went out of the tent, she cried silently.  “Suji, Soojung, if you can hear me, please come soon. Save me.” she whimpered.

-

Suzy felt something cold surrounding her as the three prepared to go to the enemy’s base. She shivered. “Suji, Soojung, if you can hear me, please come soon. Save me.”A voice whimpered. Sulli. “Mom, Krys, Sulli…she’s...”Suzy said. Gianna nodded. “She’s in trouble, we know. We’re done prepping, honey. Let’s go.”Gianna grabbed her katana made of Stygian iron and smiled at her daughter gently.

*At Kronos’ base*

The three tiptoed into his base. No monster or evil demigod was in sight. “Where are the monsters?”Gianna asked, whispering. “How should I know? I am not Kronos.”Krystal answered. “Guys, stop your bickering. We’re here.”Suzy said. They entered the tent where Sulli was held captive. “Guys! I was so scared.”Sulli mumbled. Gianna brought her finger to her lips. “Shh, it’s okay. We’re here now. Don’t you worry, sweetie.”Gianna comforted in her sweet, maternal tone.

“Oh, I think you have plenty of reason to worry.” a deep, scary voice laughed behind them. They turned around and froze. “Kronos.”They thought in unison.

-

The four women struggled under the strong hold of the dracanae. “I applaud you for trying to save your friend, ladies. It’s brave and praiseworthy that you entered the jaws of death.”Kronos clapped. They rolled their eyes at them. “As a gift, I’ll let all of you go. If Suzy joins my army. And sadly, you don’t even have to be my queen.”Kris/Kronos grinned. Suzy stared at the Titan thoughtfully and sighed. “Let them go and kill me. That way, no one can stop you, Kronos.”She said. Everyone looked at her like as if she was crazy. “NO! Bae Suji, are you crazy?”Krystal yelled. Her captor hissed at her, signaling her to keep quiet.

“Very well, then. Goodbye, Suzy.”Kris/Kronos muttered as he started to recite a Greek curse. Just then, they heard a hiss. Everyone turned to look at Gianna who had killed her captor. “Sorry!” she said with a sheepish grin plastered on her face. Then, all hell broke loose. Suzy and Krystal freed themselves and started to kill every monster in sight. But, they were in awe of Suzy’s mother’s fighting skills. “I told you kids. Once a Hunter, always a Hunter.” she smiled as she er punched and jabbed a dracanae with her katana.

“Someone help.”Sulli yelled as Naeun held her at knifepoint, her sword dangerously near . “Let her go, Son Naeun.”Krystal growled. “You see, I want to, but I can’t without a fight.”Naeun said. “Okay, then.”Krystal said, getting her knife out. Naeun let Sulli go and pointed her sword towards her. Krystal found herself face-to-face with Naeun. Rage blinded her as she attacked the daughter of Aphrodite mercilessly, giving no time for her to counter. Naeun fell to the ground in agony.

Krystal bent down and smiled evilly at the girl. “You don’t deserve to die from my hands, traitor. You only deserve a death so horrific, so ugly, that people will only remember you for that.”Krystal whispered into her ear. A tear fell from Naeun’s eye. Krystal shook her head gently. “You don’t get to cry, Son Naeun. You don’t get to regret and fix your mistakes. I ensure you that no one will grieve for you when you die.” Krystal said coldly.

Krystal got up and turned to leave. But then, she stopped. She went towards Naeun and stabbed her in the knee, making the girl cry out in pain and anguish. “Here’s something to remember me by.” she said softly. Krystal helped Sulli up and met the rest of the group. “What happened?”Suzy asked. “Nothing much.”Krystal said nonchalantly, not wanting to tell her kindhearted friend about what she had done to their enemy.

“Where’s Kronos?”Krystal asked. “He disappeared.”Suzy answered. “Coward.”Krystal muttered under her breath. “C’mon, kids. Chicken and beer’s on me.”Gianna said as they walked out of the camp. “Wait a minute, mom.”Suzy said. Everyone stopped and looked at her. It started to rain heavily and thunder and lightning crackled. Suzy’s eyes turned lightning grey. The next thing what happened was the base, which was a famous art village closed for the season, was destroyed. A pungent odor invaded their noses.

 Suzy almost fell against her mother but she held her. “Don’t do that again. You always weaken when you do that.”Gianna scolded. “Sorry, mom.”Suzy said weakly. “Use that only during extreme emergencies, okay?”Krystal said. She nodded. “Now, come on, let’s get some chimae in you.”Gianna said, making them laugh. Suzy looked at Sulli who was still awestruck. “So, you saw the whole thing. Do you still want to join?”She asked. Sulli nodded and smiled brightly.

“Yup. Seeing you guys today inspired me. I want to fight like you guys.”Sulli exclaimed. After walking for three whole hours, they reached back to the SM building. “I see you were successful.”LSM glanced at the dirty, scruffled women and smiled. “I need a latte with a shot of nectar.”Krystal mumbled, flexing her tired arms. Just then, a hologram of the moon appeared over Sulli’s head. Everyone looked at LSM to announce the claiming to a confused Sulli.

He cleared his throat. “All hail, Choi Jinri, the daughter of Artemis, the goddess of the hunt. Arise, Sulli-yah.”He announced. Sulli still looked confused. Suzy wrapped her arms affectionately around her friend. “Welcome, Choi Jinri, Artemis’s daughter.”She whispered.