Chapter 18

The Demigods

Suzy and her group had reached the Chinese embassy in thirty minutes. They got off on the rooftop. Lay petted Blackjack. “Whistle when you need me, boss.” he whinnied. “I will, Blackjack. Thank you.” he whispered. The black Pegasus turned to Percy. “He’s way nicer than you.” the Pegasus teased. “Hey!”Percy yelled but Blackjack was out of earshot as he flew high into the sky. Lay chuckled. “You guys ready?”Suzy asked. The rest of them nodded. They activated their weapons and went downstairs in a hurried pace. They had less than 2 hours to find the bomb. If they didn’t, China was going to become Korea’s enemy.

“We have to split up. This place is huge.”Suzy said. They all nodded in agreement. Kai and Hazel would take the lobby, Frank, Lay and Percy would take the 1st and 2nd floors, while Suzy and Krystal would take the top two floors where the main office was situated.

-

As everyone  was asleep due to Hecate’s spell, the demigods could communicate easily.“Hey, Haze.”Kai hollered. “Yeah, Jongin?”Hazel hollered back. “Did you find anything?”Kai asked. “I found a lot of things but the bomb isn’t one of them.” she replied. Kai was disappointed. Hazel, being the good sister she was, sat next to her Greek half-brother and patted his shoulder, smiling at him adorably.

“Cheer up, Kai. So what we didn’t find it here? One of them will find it somewhere.”Hazel comforted and gave a fighting sign to her brother who laughed silently. “Hazel, it’s not that. I am worried because of my…situation with Suzy. Whenever I ask her yes or no, she changes the subject.”Kai grumbled. She put her arm around his shoulders.

 “You’re her best friend, Kai. Of course, she’ll need time to think.”Hazel said. He nodded. “I know. It’s just I’ve been in love with her since the minute I saw her, Haze. And what if she chooses Lay hyung? I can’t even bear to think about it.”Kai admitted. Hazel smiled. “You’re so cheesy.” she teased. He chuckled. Just then, something grabbed them. “What the heck? Let us go.”Hazel and Kai protested in unison.

-

Frank, Lay and Percy had no luck with the 1st and 2nd floors. They searched every nook and cranny but they still couldn’t find the bomb. “This is hopeless. We are never going to find that stupid bomb. The whole embassy will explode and it will be the kick start of World War 3.”Frank ranted. “Fai, don’t lose hope. The girls or Kai and Hazel might’ve found it.”Lay comforted.

“What if they didn’t, Lay? What if it’s hidden in some complicated place?”Percy asked. “You too, Percy?”Lay sighed.  “We cannot lose hope. We cannot let innocents die. You know why? It’s because we’re better than Kris, Naeun and their whole army. We have actual souls, guys. So, if we lose hope, then this world, imperfect as it is, will be in ruins.”Lay announced. The others smiled and nodded. “You’re right. We shouldn’t lose hope.”Percy said.

“Oh, but I think you will need a lot of hope.” a female voice giggled. They turned around and suddenly something grabbed them. “Let us go. Don’t you hear me? Let us go.” They protested but their hold was too strong.

-

Suzy and Krystal searched the third floor which contained nothing. “C’mon, Krystal. Let’s go check out the last floor. Maybe we’ll find it there.”Suzy said, moving her hand in a ‘come on’ gesture. Krystal nodded and they went to the top floor. The ambassador was fast asleep comfortably on his plush chair. The two young girls giggled at the funny sight. “Thank god for Hecate’s sleeping spell.”Krystal said, making Suzy nod in agreement.

As they searched the office, the two girls started to talk about what was happening in their lives. Krystal was on cloud nine. She gushed about Tao. “And to think she said she didn’t match the character of Lee Bona.”Suzy chuckled. “What are you laughing about?”Krystal asked with her eyebrow raised. “Oh, nothing.”Suzy dismissed. “So, have you chosen?”Krystal asked. Suzy sighed in annoyance. “Krystal, I love you but I rather not talk about It.” she said.

“Well, then where would we talk? We’re alone here.”Krystal reasoned. Suzy sighed in defeat. “Fine, let’s talk.” she said. “So, I ask you this again, who have you chosen?”Krystal asked. The older girl shrugged. “I don’t know, honestly. Both of them have both their pros and cons. Both of them are good-looking and talented. And both of them are my friends. So now you can understand my dilemma.”Suzy answered. “Just follow your heart.”Krystal advised. Suzy nodded. “Thanks for the advice, Doctor Jung.”Suzy joked, causing them both to laugh.

“Damn it. The bomb isn’t here.”Krystal cursed under her breath. “Where could it be? Suzy, if you were Son Naeun, where would you hide it?”She asked. “In the most unexpected place there is.”Suzy replied. “Exactly. Now which is the most unexpected place here?”Krystal asked as they looked around their surroundings. Then, they both noticed something weird. “Huh. The air conditioner is on, then why is it hot?” Krystal asked. Then it dawned upon them. “The air conditioner vent!”They looked at each other.

Suzy, being the taller one, used a screwdriver which was lying on the table and unscrewed the A/C and saw a duffel bag inside it. She extracted it carefully and opened the bag. They saw an egg-like bomb ticking away. They cursed. There was less than 7 minutes left to prevent it from blasting them. “Krystal, run back down and tell everyone we’ve got the bomb.”Suzy said hastily. “No. I know what you’re going to do. I am coming with you.”Krystal said, with tears in her eyes.

“Yah, I cannot do that. I can’t risk the life of my best friend as well. And who said I was going to die? Please, Krys. Time is running out.”Suzy smiled bravely, tearing up. Krystal nodded. They hugged possibly for the last time. “I am going to kill you if you die.”Krystal warned, making Suzy smile. Krystal went downstairs, crying. “Farewell for possibly the last time, Krys.”She thought. Suzy looked at the timer. “5 minutes left.”Suzy said to herself. She quickly ran out to the balcony and whistled. A neigh came. “Hey, Blackjack. I need to get rid of this bomb. Can you fly me?”She asked. The Black Pegasus nodded and she got up on the creature and flew high up the sky.

There was only a few minutes left. Suzy took a deep breath. She remembered her father’s words- ‘You are the strongest mortal in the world. The natural gift you have is powerful, but dangerous. Use it only during extreme measures.  I assure you that your sword and shield will keep you protected from any harm.’ She sighed. “I am sorry, daddy. But I am going to have to do this.” she thought, apologizing to her father.

A storm approached. Her eyes changed to lightning grey and she threw the bomb as high as possible. Using up all of her strength, she generated a huge ball of electricity and threw it at the bomb. It exploded in the air. The people below looked at the sight in horror and awe, failing to notice the Nation’s First Love on top of a black Pegasus. Suzy would’ve been killed on impact if not for Blackjack flying away at the last moment. But there was no use. All of her strength was sapped. She was going to die if she fought once more today.

Blackjack landed on the rooftop and gave Suzy a as she got down, wobbling. There were tears in his eyes. She smiled weakly. “Aw, Blackjack. Don’t cry. I am fine, see?”She comforted. But the creature knew better. She looked she had aged a hundred years. Her skin was paler than usual, sweat matted her light brown hair and all the blood was drained from her body. She kissed the Pegasus on its face. “I am a fighter, Blackjack. I won’t give up.” she said.

The Pegasus was reluctant to go but Suzy was adamant. He gave her one more before flying off high into the sky. Her legs wobbled as she struggled to go downstairs. She finally accomplished her task, but then she got a nasty surprise. All of her friends were held captive by monsters while Naeun smirked at the girl. “Well, well if it isn’t Bae Suji. I saw what you did there. Very brave. But I am still going to have to kill you.” she grinned. “Bring it on, Son Naeun. I am ready.”Suzy said, taking out and activating Lightning Bolt and her shield.

Suzy and Naeun fought each other to the best of their ability. Suzy felt herself getting weaker and weaker but she knew she was not going to give up. She was going to fight till her last breath. “Give up, Suzy. I am going to win anyways.”Naeun said. “I am not going to give up. I am going to fight until my last breath.”Suzy replied. “Why are you so stubborn? So pigheaded?”Naeun asked. “Runs in the family.” she answered.

Naeun kicked Suzy on her stomach. She fell on the ground. She tried to get up, but she was too weak. Naeun brought her sword in contact with Suzy’s throat. “Any last words?”Naeun asked. “Yes…I am…so sorry for whatever bad things I did to you. I am sorry you felt this way. And…I hope that you would forgive me.”Suzy stammered out. She was having trouble breathing. Naeun was surprised. Just then, they heard a scream. Krystal, who got out of the hold of her captor and killed it, was running towards them with her knife.

Naeun froze. “NO!”Suzy yelled. Mustering up all of her remaining strength, she got up and blocked Naeun from Krystal’s attack which resulted in her getting stabbed. Everyone stood frozen in horror as Suzy fell to the ground, bleeding. Krystal fell on the ground, holding her closely. “No, Bae Suzy, you cannot die on me.”Krystal said, crying inconsolably. Suzy was barely alive.

The other demigods freed themselves from their captors’ clutches that were off guard and killed them. Everyone was blinded due to rage and grief. “Retreat!”Naeun yelled as she along with the remaining monsters disappeared into thin air. The demigods dropped their weapons and ran to the two girls. “Yah, Bae Suji, you cannot die on me. I mean it.”Kai yelled, tears forming. Lay just silently cried. Suzy just smiled and closed her eyes.

Lay checked her pulse. “Her pulse is weak. We need to get her somewhere safe now.” he announced. Kai carried Suzy in his arms as Lay whistled and called the group of pegasi. “To SM headquarters now.”Lay said. The pegasi nodded and they flew as fast as they could, oblivious to the awestruck stares of the passerby’s below.

Kai held Suzy tightly as they flew. “Suzy, you cannot die on me. I won’t be able to live without you. If you die, I will personally drag you back from the Underworld.” he said to the dying girl who still had the serene, peaceful smile on her face.