Chapter 20

The Demigods

“Well, you’re on the news.” said LSM as he entered the EXO dance practice room. He switched on the TV which showed all of them flying on a cavalry of pegasi over Seoul to the SM headquarters. The demigods covered their faces with their hands and sighed in exasperation.  “Now, what are we going to do?”Krystal asked. “Don’t worry, Krystal. We’ll handle the situation.” he comforted the maknae of SM.  He then turned to Suzy. “When are you turning twenty, child?”He asked.

“In two weeks, sir.”Suzy answered. “Hmm…so we are going to have to keep you out of harm’s way for two weeks. No problem, right?”LSM said unsurely. “Sir, if I kept my daughter safe for 19 years, we can keep her safe from two more weeks.” a voice full of confidence had said. Suzy recognized her voice. She looked at the figure leaning against the door with a smile on her face. Suzy returned her smile. “MOM!”She yelled in happiness as she ran up to her mother and enveloped her in a bear hug.

“Nearly dying hasn’t really affected your strength, has it?”Gianna asked in a teasing manner. Suzy broke the hug and looked at her mother in a quizzical way. “Mom, how did you know? And what are you doing here?”She asked. “Soojung called me. She said that you were dying. So, I had to come here with this.”Gianna said, showing her a golden apple. “Mom isn’t that…”she asked, her voice trailing off. Gianna nodded. “The apple of immortality. Your father’s gift to me. Thankfully, it hasn’t rotted all these years.” she said, a smile forming.

“But considering that you’re okay due to the Fleece, I guess I can save this until some dire emergency.”Gianna said, putting back the apple in her bag. “Aunt Gianna!”Krystal yelled and ran to her, forgetting the excruciating pain of her sprained ankle and hugged the older woman. “Hey, Krys. Thanks for saving my daughter’s life. I owe you one.” she thanked. “I was the one who did this to Suzy, so it’s befitting I risk my life for her.” said Krystal, wrapping her arms around the older girl.

Gianna turned to LSM. “Hi, we haven’t really met. I am Gianna Bae. Suzy’s mum. And a daughter of Aphrodite.” she shook his hand warmly, her blue eyes twinkling. “It’s a pleasure, Bae Jihyun. I have heard about you and your track record. Very efficient and dangerous.”LSM said. Gianna blushed, not wanting to let her daughter know.

“Aunt Gianna, what is he talking about? You’re a daughter of Aphrodite. With the exception of Piper, I have never seen an Aphrodite kid wielding a knife or sword. Though, they’re experts on makeup.”Krystal snickered, earning her a glare from the Aphrodite cabin. Gianna just smiled. “Soojung-ah, I may be a daughter of Aphrodite but I was formerly a Hunter of Artemis as well.” she said.

“What? If you were a Hunter, then how…”Suzy asked. She was too confused. “How did I have you? It’s simple. I broke the oath of forswearing romantic love forever when I met your father.” she explained. “Though I must say Poseidon was cuter.”Gianna joked, laughing. Thunder rumbled across the sky. “Sorry.” she yelled apologetically. Just then, an arrow came flying in the room. Everybody flinched in surprise.

“There’s a message to it.”Jimin exclaimed. She got the paper out from the arrow and read it. ‘8 o’clock. The 63 Building.’ she read. Gianna took out a long hunting knife from her boot, to the shock of everyone. “Let’s go. Man, I haven’t killed a monster in years.” she giggled. “Mom, I think I should go.”Suzy said carefully, trying not to hurt her mother’s feelings.

 “Oh, nonsense. I know what you’re worried about. That I’m out of practice. Don’t worry, sweetie. Once a Hunter, always a Hunter. And besides, I am the only one who knows about the 63 building.” she said. “Uh, mom…everyone in Korea knows about the 63 building.”Suzy said. “Aigoo, I meant about its secrets.  It’s the only building in Korea which has Mist.”Gianna said. “But the Olympians know Korea as the land of No Mist…”Krystal interjected.

Gianna shook her head. “Everything has its exceptions, Krys. And besides, I know the place Kronos is talking about. So unless you want to run around like chickens trying to find the place, I suggest you follow me.” she grinned evilly. All of them sighed in defeat.

*7:59 PM at 63 Building*

All of them were on the observation deck. No one was in sight. The night sky was covered with twinkling stars. While going up, people didn’t look at them strangely. They just went about their business. The Mist’s effect was taking place. “The observation deck? Seriously? This is the place you were talking about? Mom, no one’s here.”Suzy said, a little annoyed.

“Just wait for 5 more seconds. 5…4…3…2…1…”she counted. “Right on time, godlings.”A deep voice croaked. They turned around and saw Kris with Naeun and some of their demigod comrades. “I congratulate you on defusing the bombs in each embassy.” he said, impressed.  “He’s Kronos? Damn, he’s cute.” Gianna whispered in her daughter’s ear. “Mom!”She yelled. “I thank you for the compliment. But I assure you I am much more good looking than this host of mine.”Kris/Kronos said in a flirty tone and smiled cheesily. Suzy rolled her eyes.

“What do you want, Kronos?”She asked, getting to the point. Kris/Kronos sighed in mock sadness. “Why? Can’t I call my grandkids and great grandkids here for a nice family outing?”He asked. “You can. But considering our history, I don’ think you’re here for a reunion.”Suzy spat. “Feisty. I like it.” he grinned with a creepy look in his eyes.

“Well, if you must know, I have come here to make another proposition.”He said finally. “Oh, gee, better than the one where you proposed I be your queen?”Suzy asked sarcastically. “You what? Dude, that’s creepy. You are her grandfather, no matter what the form.”Gianna interjected. Kris/Kronos just smiled evilly. “It was worth a shot. This is my proposition. All of you can join my army and live and together we shall defeat Olympus. Even the minor bloods can join.” he proposed.

Suzy scoffed. “You’re kidding me, right?”she said with an eyebrow raised. “Proposition’s rejected.”She said without any hesitation. “Very well, then. We shall begin in two weeks. You can think of it as a birthday gift, child.”Kronos said. “Thanks.”She said sarcastically. Then her eyes met with Naeun’s. They were mixed with regret, anger and disbelief. With another loud laugh, Kronos/ Kris disappeared along with his army. “Well, that was boring.”Gianna quipped.

-

*Meanwhile at Kronos’ camp*

Kronos was in his tent, playing with a knife. Naeun came inside the tent with an uneasy smile on her face. “Hello…”Naeun’s voice trailed off. He didn’t speak for a long time. “You hesitated killing her.”Kris/Kronos said finally. “Crap.”She cursed inwardly. “How did he know?”She thought.
“I don’t understand what you’re talking about, Lord Kronos…”she said. He looked at her lividly and slammed his fists on the table, getting up.

He went up to her with the knife in his hand. “You know damn well what I’m talking about, Son Naeun. You’ve grown soft!”He yelled, scaring her. She was shivering uncontrollably. “No, I-I haven’t.” she said. “I hate her.” she said softly. It was a lie. Sort of. She sighed. She didn’t know about her feelings toward Bae Suzy. Kris brought her closer and neared his lips towards hers’. “You better. I don’t want the soft and weak-hearted in my army. Luke Castellan and Ethan Nakamura were soft and look where that got them.” He whispered.

She nodded in terror. “Good, because killing you would be very hard for me. You’re very special.” he said, releasing her from his grip. She blushed. “Now get to work. The war starts in two weeks.” he said. She kissed him gently on the cheek. “Goodbye, Lord Kronos.”She smiled tightly. She turned around to leave. As soon as she got out, she wiped . “Why did I have to fall for Kris Wu? Why did I listen to him?”She thought, cursing herself.