Chapter 13

The Demigods

“How could Naeun do this? How could she betray the whole damn world by siding with Kronos and his army? And seriously, how could she have done this? She’s as dumb as a rock.”Krystal ranted as she paced around the rec. room angrily with Chiron, Dionysus, Suzy and the others watching, sitting there still in shock over Naeun’s betrayal.

“Soojung-ah, calm down. What’s done is done. We can’t do anything about it.”Tao said halfheartedly in an effort to make her quiet. But everyone knew that he was angry. Everyone was. “What the hell do you mean we can’t do anything about it, oppa? It’s simple. We track her down and kill her. I vote we do it by bow and arrow.”Jimin exclaimed. “Jimin, we can’t do that. Traitor or not a traitor, she’s still one of us. She doesn’t deserve to die.”Lay said, aloof.

“She’s right about one thing, though. We can’t just sit here and do nothing. We need to find her and get answers.”Kai said. They nodded. “There’s one thing that bothers me though. How on earth could a girl like her attack some of the best warriors in camp and get away with it?”Suzy asked. They all nodded again in thought.

“Wait, there’s only one thing that is possible. Someone was helping her.”Annabeth added. “But who?”Lay asked, but then he felt a sharp pain in his head. His nightmare had come back again in his mind, but much more clear and vivid. He sank to the ground, . The horrific image of Kris and his monstrous form and laugh was invading his soul.

The others who were now worried went to him and checked whether he was okay. “Oppa, are you alright? Please get up.”Suzy pleaded. She was scared out of her mind. She couldn’t lose a comrade after the betrayal of a so called one. Just then, the pain subsided and Lay was feeling better. He took deep breaths. “I am alright, Suji-yah.”He said, still panting. He then narrated his vision to his fellow campers.

“I now got it.”Krystal yelped. Everyone turned to look at her. “Kris was the one helping her.”Krystal explained. “But that’s impossible. No one can get in this camp unless…”Chiron’s voice trailed off. He turned to them. “Tell me, children. Is the Kris you are referring to was called Wu Yifan? Tall, handsome, brooding?”Chiron asked. They nodded, shocked at the fact that Chiron knew Kris.

A grim expression clouded over his face. Not only his, but on the entire population of Camp Jupiter. “Oh, dear. This is not good.” he mumbled. “What? What is it about Kris hyung?”Tao asked. The new campers did not like where this was going. “Kris…is a son of Hades’ Roman form, Pluto. He was strong. Very strong. He was the best warrior anyone had ever seen. But he had problems with his father. Mostly about his dream of becoming a celebrity. Pluto hated the idea. So, he ran away and no one has seen him ever since.”Chiron sighed.

Their minds were whirling, but they managed to keep calm... except for Tao. “Then why would he quit EXO? Why would he side with Kronos?”Tao yelled, tears threatening to spill out from his eyes. “Payback. Revenge on his father.”Chiron explained. “Then why did he change into some huge monster in my vision?”Lay asked. “I think I know the answer to that.”Annabeth said. “It’s a sign. It says that Kronos had found his new host.” she added with a gloomy, doomed tone in her voice.

“We need to go back to Korea now!”Suzy exclaimed. “We can stop them.” she added. Chiron sighed again. “I am afraid it’s too late, my child. They might have already reached the East Sea by now.” he said. “I don’t care. We can try. We will not stop fighting until our last breaths.”Suzy declared. Just then, Chiron saw an imagery of Zeus in front of him in Suzy. The same fire, the same determination he was seeing in her as he saw in Zeus.

“She really is the daughter of Zeus.” he thought, amused. “What are you smiling about?”Suzy inquired. “Oh, nothing. Fine. You may go back but just remember we’ll only be there when the battle begins.”Chiron relented. Suzy squealed and hugged Chiron. “Thank you, thank you, thank you.” she said. She turned to her friends. “We need to go pack now.” she said with twinkling eyes. She then ran back to her cabin, the others following her. Chiron looked on with pride. “She is a true warrior.” he thought. 

-

The next day, the 10 demigods were ready to go. They had packed their clothes, belongings and weapons. Krystal hid her celestial bronze knife in her ankle boot. “What? Its convenient.” she defended as Suzy looked at her strangely. Argus had drove them to the airport where unknowingly, fans were there, waiting for them. Apparently, their excuse had been that they were filming a reality show where they had to live in the woods. After one hour, they had boarded the plane without any hassle. Suzy, who was sitting with Kai and Krystal, looked at her father’s gift on her finger.

To the ordinary eye, it was a seriously beautiful and expensive ring with a huge opal set into it.  To celestial beings, it was a disguise for one of the strongest shields ever made. But to her, it was a gift from her beloved father to keep her safe, along with her powerful sword. She remembered her father’s parting words on the last day of their training: “You are the strongest mortal in the world. The natural gift you have is powerful, but dangerous. Use it only during extreme measures.  I assure you that your sword and shield will keep you protected from any harm.”

She was interrupted from her thoughts when Kai patted her on the shoulder to look at a snoring Krystal. She giggled as she put her head on Kai’s shoulder and laced her fingers with his. “Do you think we’re going to die?”She asked, whispering. “Yes, but then again I’m always wrong.” he joked. She smiled at him and nuzzled against his shoulder. It was comforting to be like this. “I love you.”Kai suddenly said. Her innocence and naïveté perceived the words as the saying of a friend. “I love you too, Kim Jongin.”She said before she yawned and drifted off to sleep.

Kai sadly smiled at his love who slept peacefully, the sound of her breathing rhythmic. “Suji-yah, I wish you would mean it as a lover and not as a friend.” he thought wistfully as the plane went through turbulence. Kai looked up. “Sorry, Lord Zeus. “He apologized with a thought.

-

They had finally touched down on the airport. They got out of the plane. There was a storm fast approaching them. Suzy cracked a small smile. The press and fans were waiting eagerly for them. After a few hours, they had gone back to their agencies where they had been given horrific news: they were having a huge concert in 2 days time. “10 demigods in one place make a healthy meal for an ugly monster.”Suzy thought. Nevertheless, they had all agreed to bring their weapons with them…just in case.

*2 days later*

They were ready- both for the concert and the inevitable fight that was going to take place. They had been dressed to the nines, walked down the red carpet with fans and the media surrounding them; they had done what they normally did before Olympus came into their lives. When she had seen Bomi from A-Pink, she had told Suzy that Naeun was visiting her grandparents for a while. She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right.” she thought. She shook it off and went to change into her stage outfit.

Suzy was dressed in her stage outfit with Lightning Bolt tucked neatly into her wavy, black hair and her shield which was disguised as a ring on her finger. “You look beautiful.” a voice whispered in her ear. She turned around and saw a grinning Kai dressed in a suit. “You look dashing too, Mr. Kim Jongin.”She giggled. Just then, a crew member called him up. “That’s me. I got to go.”Kai said as he kissed her on the cheek and joined his other members.

She smiled at the cute, silly kiss Kai had planted on her. Then her eyes met Lay’s. She smiled and did a ‘Fighting’ pose to cheer him up as he had officially broken up with Eunji a few moments ago. He nodded lazily and smiled back. They went up on stage and delivered a great performance. Suzy cheered as they performed with professional ease.

Soon, they were up. They gave a good performance and received well-deserved applause. One by one, singers came up and performed but there was no sign of any monster whatsoever. She smiled to herself. “Maybe we’re just being silly.” she thought. But then, she cursed herself as she heard a roar followed by the deafening screams of both idol stars and audience alike. She looked up. She couldn’t believe her eyes.

A Hyperborean giant was flying on top of an even more gigantic dragon which roared to no end. The other demigods had gathered around her. They looked at each other and nodded, ignoring the confused and horrified looks they were getting from their fellow colleagues. Using charmspeak, Key had convinced the head of the stage crew to announce that the monstrosity in front of them was just seriously real computer graphics and ten celebrities would try to ‘kill’ it.

“What is going on? I demand an explanation.”Suho asked. “No time for it, oppa. We need to try and get rid of those ugly sons of Styx. So I suggest you all to step back into safety.”Krystal said calmly as she drew out her bronze knife from her ankle boot. “Maknae-yah, is that a knife?”Victoria asked, shocked. “Yes, it is, Qian. Now get away before that ugly- dragon roasts you.”Fei ordered. “Fei, Tao, Lay and Yerin, take the giant and the rest of us will take on the dragon.”Krystal, who was the strategist, explained. They nodded. “Okay, then.”Suzy said as she drew out Lightning Bolt from her hair and activated it along with her shield, to the surprise of Min, Jia and the others.

“Let’s fight.” she said with a smile as they smiled back and ran to the centre of the stage to attack the two monsters. “This is going to be one hell of a fight.”Suzy thought with a grin on her face as she stabbed the dragon with her sword.