Chapter 30

The Demigods

The Three Fates themselves took Kris’s body. Seeing them for the first time made Suzy shiver. They looked like normal old ladies but they had this intense, ghoulish aura around them. One of them looked at her and although the Fate didn’t say anything, Suzy’s life flashed before her eyes. Suddenly she was twenty five with a happy marriage and kids, and then she became a middle-aged woman, crying as her child drove off to college and then she became old, smiling at her grandkids as they fought over her cookies. Finally, she saw her funeral. Her strength seemed to have left her body.

“It is done.”A Fate had said.

Suzy looked up and saw that the Fate was holding up a snippet of yarn-a lifeline. She’d thought it was her life. But it was Kris’s. They had showed the Olympians and her, the life that had to be sacrificed to make things right. They gathered up his body, which was now wrapped in a black shroud with silver hems, and began carrying it out of the room.

“Wait,” Hades said.

He looked even more pale and scary as he walked hand-in-hand with a grieved Persephone. He unwrapped Kris’s face and Persephone’s tear fell on his cheek. “Goodbye, Kris.”They whispered in unison as they simultaneously kissed his forehead and gave him their final blessing.

As they left, Suzy had thought about the prophecies about this battle. Everything clicked. ‘To a land where no Mist has done any obscurity,’ which was Korea. ‘On the night of the full moon arise; one hero shall make the greatest sacrifice.’ Suzy was the one who had made the biggest sacrifice. For Olympus, she had given up her mother, the one thing she loved the most. ‘And another shall withstand a curse so great.’ Lay had taken the curse of Achilles and survived…barely. Thus, they had saved Olympus at the cost of many lives of warriors on both sides. 

All of them went to the deck and stared at the city. It was horrifying. The buildings were about to fall down despite Demeter’s growth on them, cars were burning and people were shrieking, running for cover. If one ever wanted to see an apocalypse’s after effects, there it was in front of them. The gods sighed. “Tao, would you do us a favor and stop the time for a bit? We’re going to have to rebuild the city.”Zeus asked, staring at the son of Ares.

Tao nodded and with the snap of his fingers, he stopped time. Everything around them had stopped. Quietness had enveloped the whole city. The gods along with the rest of the remaining Cyclopes and zombies set about rebuilding and cleaning the city while the demigods cared for each other’s wounds. Suzy was cleaning Pollux’s deep wound on his arm when suddenly Kai sat next to her. She looked away, blushing. She didn’t know how to face him and Lay.

“Yah, Bae Suji. It’s okay. You kissed Kris because he requested it. Lay and I are fine.”Kai smiled fakely at her. Suzy knew that he wasn’t fine.  She kissed another guy in front of the two although she knew their feelings. She felt a little weird. “Jong in oppa, I need time to think it out. Please don’t pressure me.”Suzy pleaded. She flashed Pollux an apologetic smile as he winced in pain. Kai nodded and got up. “I am sorry. And you can have all the time you need.”Kai said before he turned and walked away.

Lay who was just a few people away from her had heard their conversation. His hope sunk like the Titanic. “Apollo’s prophecy might’ve been wrong.”He shook his head as thunder rumbled. “Sorry, Lord Apollo.” he thought as the others looked around curiously.

Soon, the reconstruction of Seoul was over. Suzy looked at the city in awe. It looked the same, as if the war had never been fought. The gods came back, tired but satisfied. “Well, the city’s back to normal. Now Tao, would you unfreeze the time now?”Athena asked. He nodded and with the snap of his fingers, time unfroze. The terror-stricken people who had been running around the city looked at each other in confusion. Then, they shrugged and everything went back to normal. The demigods and Olympians grinned in amusement.

“Well, people. I think mortals are going to see us here, so I suggest we go back to Olympus.”Zeus suggested. The others  grunted in approval. Suzy looked around in puzzlement. How on earth were they going to go back to Olympus? Half of them were injured. Then there were the shrouds of the fallen warriors. And there was still the question of their weapons.

“My dear, we’re going to teleport.”Zeus smiled, as if he had read her thoughts. He clapped his hands. Within the blink of an eye, they were in Olympus’s throne room. “Wow!”Suzy gaped in amazement. The injured were sent to the infirmary to be taken care of by the naiads and nature spirits. The others were changed out of their torn, dirty clothing and wore clean, fashionable clothes. (The courtesy of Aphrodite.)

Suzy stood next to her brother Jason in a corner of the room. Her sister Thalia who was a Hunter was standing with her other fellow Hunters near Artemis’s seat. She could make out her friends standing in different places of the gigantic room. Thankfully, all of the demigods who were idols had gotten through safely. She knew that there was no way to explain their deaths to the world.

Suddenly, the gods entered the room still in full battle regalia. Everyone bowed in respect as they took their seats.  Zeus shared a warm smile with his youngest daughter. He then looked at everyone else with his usual grimly stoic expression and made some long, boring speech about the bravery of the gods and their children in the war.

“We shall now call on the brave warriors who deserve these well earned gifts.”Zeus announced, firstly looking at Artemis. She cleared and called out her daughter, Sulli.

“My daughter Jinri, despite you being a late addition to the Olympian army, you fought exceedingly well with my Hunters. So, I present you with this.”Artemis said, a silver circlet forming in her hands. Everyone except for the Hunters gaped at the goddess.

“Choi Jinri, I present you the title of co-lieutenant with Thalia Grace. Take this and you’ll become immortal unless you fall in battle.”Artemis smiled. “Mom, I would love to, but I cannot take the oath of forswearing romantic love. I have a boyfriend, remember?”Sulli reminded, looking nervously at Taemin.

 “As much as I hate to say this, fine. You don’t have to take the oath. As long as you promise that you won’t let your…relationship interfere with your duties.” Artemis sighed.

Sulli nodded excitedly and giggled, agreeing to the terms. Artemis smiled and shrank down to normal size, putting on the circlet on Sulli’s head. Suzy had noticed a change in her friend. She had a silvery glow on her face. The Blessing of Artemis. Sulli bowed down quickly to her mother and the other gods and joined her fellow Hunters. Thalia and the others welcomed her with open arms.

“Krystal Jung.”Athena bellowed. Krystal scurried off to her mother and bowed quickly.

“Dearest Soojung, you are possibly the most loyal person I have seen. And you have the tact, skill and wit to go along with it. These qualities must be rewarded. Thus, the Council appoints you as the co-chief strategist of Olympus. Along with me, you shall figure out ways to protect this city as well as Civilization itself from any further attack. You shall be immortal when the time comes.”Athena’s grey eyes blazed in pride as her daughter smiled serenely at her, accepting the post. She then skipped over to Tao and held his hand tightly, smiling. Tao smiled back tightly, knowing that he would lose her.

“Huang Zitao, the son of Ares.”Zeus said. Tao reluctantly let go of Krystal’s hand and walked nervously to the centre of the throne room and bowed to Zeus, Poseidon and Hades. “Are you seriously the son of Ares?”Zeus mumbled, looking at his son who sat on his chrome and leather throne, polishing his knife.

“Anyways, Tao. You seem to be the only one of us powerful enough to control time like Kronos. And I think it’s time we have a new Lord of Time, don’t you think?”Zeus smiled, his eyes twinkling. “You mean…”Tao’s voice trailed off. He nodded. “Yes, my boy. You will be a god. Of course, you will only become immortal when you get married.”He smirked, motioning the son of Ares towards Krystal who smiled giddily like an idiot.

“Thank you so much, Lords and Ladies.”Tao thanked profusely before he ran to Krystal, hugging her. The gods smiled at the match. Suzy noticed Hera murmuring something with a smile on her face. She was giving them her blessing. Soon, Kai and Lay were called up. Kai had received the important post of creating an invincible barrier around Olympus and guarding it and Lay had become the protector of all the seas and oceans in Asia. They smiled in satisfaction as they went back to their places.

“And last but not the least, my dearest maknae Suzy.”Zeus smiled. Suzy giggled at her father’s clumsy but cute Korean pronunciation. The atmosphere seemed to quiet down. It became somber and quite serious. She bowed at the three elder gods and knelt at her father’s feet.

“My dear daughter, you have gone through a lot in this war but nevertheless, you fought back and triumphed. So, all of us offer you a gift. We offer you the gift of immortality. You shall become a goddess and join the council of Olympians. We shall rewrite everything and you will be famous in Greek history. The slayer of Kronos. The savior of Olympus.”Zeus offered with a smile.

Suzy thought hardly before responding. Being famous forever, known as the slayer of Kronos. She would join her friends and be immortal and happy forever. She would never have to worry about wrinkles or grey hair. She would be beautiful forever. But then she thought about all of fallen warriors on both sides. She sighed deeply. She knew her choice.

“No.”She said finally, to the shock of her family and friends. “What? Are you serious?”Zeus asked, surprised. She nodded. “Yes, dad. It’s an honor but I cannot do this. I can’t think about myself only.”Suzy shook her head. “But I do have a wish.”Suzy smiled. “What is it?”Zeus asked.

“Elysium for the fallen warriors on both our side as well as that of Kronos’ army.”Suzy requested. Zeus looked shocked. “Child, I can understand for the ones who fought for us but why the ones who fought for Kronos?”Zeus asked.

“Daddy, they were brainwashed by Kronos. They were influenced. And if you think about it, they are brave hearts no matter who they fought for. So, please grant my wish.”Suzy pleaded. She gave her signature puppy-like stare at her father and her uncle Hades who was in charge of this kind of stuff. They sighed and started to discuss the matter with the others.

“Fine, Suzy. We shall grant your wish. We swear on the River Styx.”Zeus sighed. Thunder shook the room. The deal was made. Suzy smiled at the gods who looked at her in wonder. They had never seen anyone this kind.

*An hour later*

Suzy sat near the water fountain, playing with the cool liquid. “Brave choice you made, my girl.”A voice said. She turned around and saw Apollo. “Lord Apollo.”Suzy inclined her head respectfully at the god. “Yeah, yeah. Call me oppa as you girls call it. I prefer that.”Apollo grinned, making her laugh.

“So why are you here? Shouldn’t you be enjoying the celebration?”Suzy asked. “Yeah, I am just really bored, kid.”Apollo smiled. “What really is the matter, oppa?”Suzy asked, clearly seeing through him. “Sweetie, I saw a disturbing vision. Did you declare you would never fall in love?”Apollo asked grimly. She nodded.

Apollo sighed. “Just because you kissed a guy in front of the two men who’re in love with you, you don’t have to feel guilty and become celibate. Apollo scolded. “It’s not that. When I kissed Kris, I felt something. It felt like love.”Suzy admitted. Apollo sighed again. “What is it now?”Suzy asked irritably.

“Sweetheart, Kris was the one you’re supposed to end up with. But he tampered with the prophecy by joining Kronos.”Apollo confessed. Suzy’s mind whirled. “What?”She yelled. Apollo nodded. “I will show you what could’ve been.”Apollo threw a drachma into the fountain and murmured something. Mist shimmered as an image formed.

Suzy got up and stood next to Apollo as the image became clearer. She froze. In front of her, she saw an older version of her with a little 4-year-old girl in her arms who was trying to wiggle her way out.

*Vision*

“Ari, stay still.”Suzy chided at the little girl who was anxious to run free. “Suji-yah, she’s four years old. And she has us for parents. Do you really think she’ll keep still?”A deep voice had asked. She turned around and smiled. She let go of her daughter who ran inside the throne room and kissed her husband gently on the cheek.  

“You are right. It’s just she’s my baby girl.”Suzy admitted, nuzzling against her husband’s chest. “Isn’t protecting her my job, Bae Suji?” He chuckled. She giggled and laced her fingers through his.

“Yeah. Now c’mon, let’s go in. She must be complaining about us to her grandparents.”Suzy smiled as they walked hand-in-hand to the throne room. They saw little Ari on a smiling Zeus’s lap as she told everything about what was happening in her life.

“Mommy, Grandpa is taking me out for ice cream later on. Can I go?”Ari asked, pouting. Suzy nodded her head and grinned at her father who was now handing the little girl over to Hades. “But I thought you and I are going to go eat pizza, Ari?”Hades asked. Ari looked at her parents for help.

 “Your fault, Wu Ari. Now choose. I can’t help.”Suzy shook her head. Ari stuck her tongue out, annoyed and looked at her two grandfathers. “Um, I choose…”Ari trailed off as soon as the other gods arrived. They fought with each other over the little girl. She was Olympus’s life.

“Come here, kid. I missed you a lot.”Ares yelled, extending his arms to the girl who giggled and jumped into his arms. “I missed you too, Uncle Ares. Will you show me that knife trick again? That was neat.”Ari asked expectantly. Ares nodded but she was again snatched away by Aphrodite who shook her head.

“No. I am taking you out for shopping, Ari. I saw this adorable dress that will look great on you, angel.”Aphrodite cooed. “No, she’s coming with me to my forges. She is the only 4-year-old I know with an interest in cars.”Hephaestus smiled.

Ari giggled, clearly enjoying the fact that the gods fought over her and wanted to take her wherever her little heart desired. Kris and Suzy smiled at their beautiful daughter. “Can you believe she’s our daughter?”Suzy asked. “Well, yes. She is a bundle of joy like me.”Kris answered with a grin. Suzy hit him on the arm and kissed him.

“I love you, Wu Yifan.”Suzy whispered, hugging the giant. “I love you too, Bae Suji.”He whispered back, smiling.

-

The mist cleared and the image vanished. Suzy had tears in her eyes. She truly looked happy in that vision. “Suzy, get a grip. What’s done is done. Yes, you would’ve had the perfect future if Kris hadn’t joined Kronos but you can still have one with Lay or Kai. Do you think Kris would’ve allowed you to punish yourself like that? He would let you have a happy future with Lay or Kai, wouldn’t he?”Apollo asked.

Suzy nodded. “You’re right. He would.”She said, wiping her tears away. “That’s a good girl. Now be happy. My blessing’s with you.”Apollo grinned. She nodded again and went back in. She caught the gaze of the two men she had loved. She smiled at them and they smiled back. She felt like a weight had been lifted off of her; she felt closure for the first time since the first time they both had confessed to her.

 She felt free….