Chapter 4

The Demigods

In a month, Suzy had recruited most of the people on the list. The rest had just called her crazy and ignored her. She was able to get eleven demigods all together. There was her, Fei, Jimin, Yerin, Krystal, Kai, Tao, Lay, Rap Monster, Henry and Na-eun. On the way to New York; all of them were nerve wracked. They were going to meet their parents either for the first time or after a long time. 

Suzy sat between Lay and Kai. She observed the others; Yerin and Rap Monster were doing couple stuff while Jimin sat next to them as an uncomfortable third wheel. Henry and Fei were talking about recipes, Krystal was reading a book on architecture and design, and Tao was just sitting there listening to music with his headphones on while his seatmate Na-eun sat there babbling about fashion and makeup to his oblivious ears.

She looked over at her own group. Kai was watching a ballet performance on his I-Pad, Lay was listening to songs and she was doing nothing but thinking about who her father would be. Just then, she felt something in her ear. It was an earphone. She looked at Lay who just concentrated on the music. She smiled and kicked back. It was a Chinese ballad song. “Maybe I should relax,” she thought.

Lay was listening to ballads when he looked over to Suzy who looked nervous. He observed her features. Her long hair had turned from light brown to black. Her pink cheeks looked even chubbier. She hadn’t put on her contacts which showed her blue-gray eyes. She was gorgeous with brown eyes but her real eyes made her look like a muse of a painting. They had love, sadness and happiness in them. They had depth. “They’re beautiful. Why does she want to hide them?” he thought.

As an impulse, he took out one of his earphones and put it in her ear. He quickly looked in front and focused on the song. He felt her smile and heard her hum along with the sad tune. Looking at her, he also couldn’t help but smile. Soon after, he felt something on his shoulder. He looked at Suzy who rested on his shoulder. “Poor thing. Must’ve felt tired.” he thought.  He smiled at the sight. She looked like a kitten.

He also felt tired after a while. He yawned. “I must get some sleep. I hope I don’t get another nightmare.” he hoped. He fell asleep in a few moments. He unknowingly put his head on top of her head, making them look like a couple.

-

Kai had finished watching the performance. He sighed heavily. “It was such a good performance.” he thought. Then he saw something he didn’t like. He saw Suzy and Lay sleeping, which made them look like a couple. He couldn’t really explain the feeling that arose in him but he knew he didn’t like what he saw. He prayed for turbulence and somehow, it had worked. The plane shook and the two woke up with a start. They looked at each other and blushed. They immediately moved from their position and sat upright.

“You’re awake?”Kai asked innocently. Suzy yawned and nodded. “If you feel sleepy, you can sleep on my shoulder. Lay hyung needs some rest.”Kai added with a smile. She smiled back at him and put her head on his shoulder and drifted off to sleep. Kai smiled in satisfaction as he looked at her. “Absolutely divine.” he thought.  Lay looked at him with an unreadable expression but Kai didn’t care. He just smiled at the older man and started to watch another ballet performance. “I don’t care, hyung. Stare all you want.”He thought, smirking.

*Hours later*

The plane landed at JFK airport safely. Rather than the press, K-pop fans had swarmed around the airport to meet their favorite idols. They took photos with their fans and gave them autographs. After 1 whole hour of the unplanned fan event, they finally managed to get out of the airport where they met up with Grover.

“Hello. I am Grover.” he introduced himself. “It’s so nice to meet you guys. I am such a big fan of you guys.” he added giddily. “I am your guide. Come, I’ll help you with your bags.” he offered. He helped the half-bloods load their entire luggage into the huge van which had a sign on it. ‘Delphi’s Strawberry Service.’Jimin read. She looked at Grover inquiringly.

“It pays the camp’s expenses.”Grover explained. They got in the van. It smelled of fresh strawberries. Suzy inhaled the scent dreamily. “C’mon, Argus. Let’s go.”Grover said. The driver, Argus was a huge blonde dude with eyes all over his body.

It initially freaked them out but they seemed to control their urge to scream. Argus drove away from the airport. After some time, they were driving along the coastline of northern Long Island. It was now nighttime.

Just then, they heard a roar. “What was that?”Yerin asked, scared. “I-I am not sure. There are monsters here but…”Grover’s voice trailed off as he looked at the horrified faces of the new half-bloods. “I want to go home.”Na-eun whined. Just then, the car stopped. “Argus, what happened?”Grover asked worriedly. The big blonde dude pointed at something.

They looked at the thing in front of them and froze in horror. It was a huge monster which had a bull’s face and a man’s body. It was very hairy and its eyes glowed dangerously red. It didn’t move at all. “That’s…that’s…”Krystal stammered. “That’s a Minotaur. Step on it, Argus.”Grover pleaded. He did so and drove as fast as he could, leaving the Minotaur behind.

At first, the monster was puzzled. Then, it turned around in anger and followed the van. The van had again stopped. “Now what? There’s a monster behind us. Come on.”Fei yelled.

“This is the furthest we can go by vehicle. We’re going to have to go by foot.”Grover replied, scared. “What?”The half-bloods yelled in unison.  “There’s the camp’s border over there. We need to get there in order to be safe.”Grover pointed at a huge pine tree.

No one moved at first. But, considering that a huge monster was coming to get them, all of them got out of the van and ran for their lives. They had almost reached the border but suddenly Na-eun screamed. They looked behind and saw that the monster had grabbed Na-eun. She tried to squirm and wiggle her way out but there was no use.

“Help!”Na-eun yelled. Everyone froze in their spot as Naeun was getting squeezed to death by the Minotaur. “Grover, get everyone else to camp. I’ll handle him.”Tao said finally. “But…”Grover faltered. “Now!”Tao had ordered. Grover nodded and got everyone into camp. They watched as Tao bravely faced the monster with no weapons.

“Hey, ugly. Let her go.” he yelled. The Minotaur turned to face him. He let go of Naeun who frantically ran towards camp, mustering up all of her strength. All of them watched in awe as Tao bravely lunged towards the monster. He managed to get on its back and hold its horns.

However, the Minotaur got hold of him and threw Tao to a huge tree. Blood trickled down from his forehead. “No!”Suzy yelled. She got out of the border, freeing herself from Kai’s grip. She checked Tao’s pulse. He was still alive. Grover who got out as well, helped him up and got him to safety. Suzy faced the Minotaur with rage in her eyes.

Suddenly, the atmosphere had changed. It started to rain heavily. Thunder and lightning crackled violently. Just then, everyone noticed something. Suzy’s eyes had changed.  They weren’t blue-gray anymore. Her eyes looked like that of a violent storm- it had become lightning grey.

Then they had noticed another change. The Minotaur was surrounded by a circle of white lightning. It then roared in pain and fell to the ground as lightning fell on him repeatedly as if Suzy had willed it from the sky.  It turned to dust as it fell to the ground, dead.

Suzy’s eyes went back to the normal blue-gray they were. She turned around to them, dazed about what had happened. She smiled and then collapsed. She would’ve had a nasty fall if Lay hadn’t caught her in time. He picked her up in his arms. “She has fainted. We need to go to the infirmary now.”Grover ordered. They all ran to the infirmary.

“Will. Michael. They had fainted after a battle with the Minotaur. Ambrosia and nectar, now.”Grover said frantically, pointing to Suzy and Tao who were now resting on the infirmary’s beds. Kai, Fei, Lay, and Krystal sat next to Suzy and Tao’s side, worried. The others were sitting on the waiting chairs with huge fluffy towels wrapped around them as they shivered from the cold.

Kai had noticed Grover and some guy in a wheelchair talking. Considering their body language, they were talking about something really serious. Curious, he went near them to eavesdrop. “It can’t be.” the guy in the wheelchair had said. “Chiron. I saw it with my own eyes. And I have 8 other half-bloods to vouch for me.” Grover said.

 “No half-blood has that much power, Grover. Unless…”Chiron sighed. “Unless what?”Grover asked. “Unless that child is a child of the Big Three. And considering what you’ve just told me, I’m guessing that girl over there is a child of Zeus.”Chiron said, motioning over to Suzy who was passed out.

“Oh, gods. Chiron. Percy, Thalia, Nico or Jason don’t have that kind of power. And they are children of the Big Three as well. So how…”Grover’s voice trailed off.

“I don’t know, Grover. I am going to have to talk to Zeus about this. Poseidon and Hades are not going to be happy.” he sighed. “They are not going to be happy at all.” he repeated. “Until I’ve talked to the Council, I appreciate you don’t tell this to anyone.” he pleaded.

 “Not even Percy and Annabeth?”Grover asked. “Not even them.” Chiron said with finality. “I must leave now. The sooner we get this straightened out, the better.”Chiron wheeled himself out of the room.

Kai froze after hearing the two’s conversation. But he was sure of two things: Suzy was Zeus’s daughter and that he will get blasted to smithereens if he tried to confess to her.