Chapter 28

The Demigods

Suzy, for the first time in her life, felt…without hope. She had failed as a leader, a daughter and a friend. Kronos’ army was getting stronger by the minute while they were dropping like flies. She couldn’t even save her mother and friend. She was alone in LSM’s office, brooding. A lone tear fell from her eye. “I am worthless. I am not a savior. I am just a girl who got lucky.”She thought. Just then, she heard a fire crackling. She looked around, puzzled. She finally noticed a little girl of about nine tending the hearth. The blazing fire crackled cheerfully as she smiled.

Alarmed, she grabbed her sword lying next to her and pointed it at the little girl. She chuckled. “Dear child, put the sword down.”The girl cooed. She put Lightning Bolt down on the ground with hesitation. She was surprised at the fact that the little girl who was half of Suzy’s age called her a child. “Judging from the dazed look on your face, you don’t know who I am.”The girl smiled. Suzy shook her head. “Well, if you must know, I am Hestia, the Goddess of the hearth.”She grinned.

Suzy’s eyes widened. She quickly went in front of her and knelt on the ground. “I am so sorry, Lady and Aunt Hestia. I didn’t know.”She said. “It’s alright, my child. I am used to it. I have been long forgotten ever since Dionysus took my spot.” Hestia smiled sadly. Suzy couldn’t help but feel sorry for Hestia. Uncomfortable silence filled the room. “So why are you here, my lady?”Suzy asked politely. “Sweetheart, I am here to make you realize.”Hestia replied as if that was supposed to answer Suzy’s question.

 “Realize what?”Suzy asked. “Oh, my. You are just like your father.  Oblivious.”Hestia sighed and shook her head. Suzy shook the slight insult off. She was smart enough to know that talking back to a god would have a painful price. “Suzy, I am your patron and godmother. Zeus made sure that you never lose hope even in the darkest of times. It’s sort of a boon he offered you when you were born. He assigned me to you. We are bounded to each other. If you lose hope, well I…bear the consequences.”She explained. Her expression turned dark.

“That is why you need to man up and fight. Have you even taken a look at yourself in the mirror? You look terrible.”Hestia chided. Suzy looked at herself in the mirror and almost jumped in fright. Hestia was right. She did look terrible. No, terrible was an understatement. Her light brown hair, which was shiny, lacked of luster and was rough; her eyes were puffy and red from crying, her clothes which she hadn’t changed from the last battle she had fought in were tattered and smelly, and she had cuts and bruises on her body.

“Suzy, you are Olympus’s only hope. If you lose hope… I can’t even bear to think of the consequences, my dear. So please, I beg of you. Fight until you take your last breath.”Hestia pleaded. Suzy nodded slowly. She got up and looked into Hestia’s eyes. They were like Ares’. Instead of eyeballs, fire seemed to glow in them. But unlike his, they were warm and cheerful.  She got out the Spear and placed it on the ground in front of her feet and knelt again. Hestia looked at her in surprise.

“Bless this weapon, my lady. It will keep me hopeful till my decided fate.”Suzy grinned. Hestia smiled graciously. “I shall, my dear.”Hestia took the sword in her hand and murmured something in ancient Greek. A warm light fell on the room. Suddenly, Suzy felt stronger. She looked at herself in the mirror and smiled in relief. She looked normal again. She felt hopeful.

“Here you go, my dear. Fight well and never lose hope.”The goddess kissed Suzy on her forehead gently. Suzy looked at the spear. It also now had the symbol of Hestia inscribed on its handle. “Thank you, lady Hes-”She stopped short when she couldn’t find the goddess. She was gone. Suzy got up. “This war ends today.”She thought determinedly. She went outside of the office and went to the lobby. She shivered at the sight. On one side of the room, the bodies of the fallen warriors were covered in shrouds. On the other side of the room, the injured were getting treated.

“Suzy!”A familiar voice had yelled. She turned around and smiled. A healthy Kai ran up to her and enveloped her in a bear hug. “I was so worried. You were in that office for two days!”He said, his voice muffled from him resting on her shoulder. She was shocked. “Really, two days?”She thought. “I am fine, Kim Jongin. Where’s Lay oppa?”She asked. Kai’s smile turned into a frown. “With Percy and Jason hyung. They are getting medicine from the pharmacies.”He said flatly.

Just then, Percy, Jason and Lay came back with bags of medicine in hand. They had raided every pharmacy owned by Apollo in town, of course paying with drachmas. “Suzy!”Jason smiled at his little sister. Giving his bag to Percy, he ran up to the girl and hugged her tightly. “Little sis…you stink.”He remarked teasingly, earning him a punch on the arm from her. “My gift to you.”She giggled. “It’s good that you guys are here. I have an announcement to make.”She said. She then got up on the receptionist’s desk and cleared . Everyone turned to look at her. “I have an announcement to make.”She announced.

“Guys, I know I haven’t been the greatest leader but now, it’s time I put my foot down. This war ends today. I will fight Kronos to the death.”She said calmly, not paying attention to the fact that everyone in the room looked at her crazily. “Yah, Bae Suji! Why do you want to play with death? Do you have a death wish?”Kai yelled, trying to get her down. Lay stopped him and held him in his place.  “Thanks. So as I was saying, I will fight Kronos. No more deaths. No more injuries.”She smiled. Protests could be heard everywhere.

“Silence!”She yelled. “No, I am not going to let you go alone. We stay together!”Krystal stubbornly protested. Suzy shook her head. “No, Jung Soojung. This is my fight. All of you have served Olympus well and I am grateful for that. So what if I might die in this? I don’t care. I pledge to Hestia and Olympus my allegiance, loyalty and life.” She got down from the desk, grabbed a bow and arrow and quickly ran outside. She willed a cloud to come down and it did. She sat on it and flew to Kronos’ base.

After a few minutes, she was over his base. She wasn’t a great shot, so she prayed to the gods that this would work. “Here goes nothing.”She sighed as she wrapped her message on a paper round the arrow and shot it into his tent. She smiled. “Bullseye.”She mentally high fived herself before going back to the base.

*At Kronos’ base*

Kronos moaned in pain. Kris was fighting him and apparently succeeding. No! He wouldn’t let a lowly demigod win over him, the Lord of Time. Suddenly, he felt a sharp pain on his rump. He turned back and saw an arrow. He pulled it out of him and read the message. ‘Dear grandfather, meet me for the final battle on the observation deck in the 63 building. Whoever wins or loses, the battle stops here! Love, Suzy.’ Kronos smiled despite the throbbing pain in his . “Let’s see, my child. I have one last weapon.” he said to himself.

*At SM headquarters*

“Wish me luck, guys!”Suzy nervously smiled as she put the Spear in her quiver along with her arrows. She carried a bow in her left hand and Lightning Bolt was pinned on her hair. She wore full body armor and she had a warm, fiery aura surrounding her. The blessing of Hestia. “You know we’re going to follow you, right?”Tao asked. She nodded. “I know, but I am willing to take the risk.”She smiled.

She hugged all of them tightly. “I have got to go now. Grandpa must be waiting.”She giggled as she left the room. “We’re going to follow her, right?”Krystal asked. All of them nodded and ran outside the building. But then they stopped in their tracks and froze. Their jaws dropped in horror. The fog cleared and they saw Typhon for the first time.

His appearance was imprinted on their minds. The monster’s head shifted constantly, turning into a different monster every moment, each more horrible than the last. His body was humanoid, but his skin was mottled green with blisters the size of buildings. His hands were human but with talons like an eagle’s. His legs were scaly and reptilian. “Holy Hades.”Krystal screamed in terror as mortals woke up, took a look at the terrifyingly ugly monster and ran away, screaming. “Guys, I think it’s time to pray to our parents.”Lay said. The others nodded in agreement. They got down on their knees and prayed fervently to their parents.

Suddenly, lightning flashed as Zeus followed by the other Olympians came in their chariots. Zeus threw a thunderbolt at him. The blast lit up Seoul. One could feel the shock anywhere. However, the monster roared angrily and advanced. Typhon stepped across buildings and towers, knocking them like bowling pins. Hades and his children prevented them from collapsing.  Once put back into place, Demeter chanted a spell and wrapped the buildings in vines, holding them up.

The monster stepped into the Han River which probably polluted the whole water body. “Percy, Yixing, hold Typhon in place.”Poseidon yelled. The two brothers looked at each other and nodded. Flying on Blackjack, they flew to the river. Willing the water to rise, the two created a chain and held him in place. Typhon yelled angrily in protest as he tried to free himself. “A miracle needs to happen now!”Lay thought as the chains weakened.

Just then a conch horn sounded from the blazing picture that was once Seoul. The call of the ocean. The call of Poseidon. Around Typhon, the Han River erupted; churning waves the size of a house. Poseidon flew down from his chariot and rode a defiant circle around the giant’s legs.  As he swung his trident, the river responded, making a funnel cloud around the monster. “MY BRETHREN, STRIKE NOW. STRIKE FOR OLYMPUS.”Poseidon yelled so loudly that it could be heard around town.

Warriors burst out of the river, riding the waves on huge sharks, dragons and seahorses. Leading them was Percy and Lay’s little brother, Tyson who had grown magically in size. In hand, they held gigantic black chains. The warriors swung the chains around like lassoes and ensnared Typhon, throwing lines around his arms and legs. Typhon roared as he fell into the water, making a huge splash. Poseidon threw his trident and impaled Typhon in his chest.

The other gods struck as well. Ares rode in and stabbed Typhon on the nose. Artemis and Apollo shot a volley of arrows and it hit the monster everywhere on his body. Zeus kept pounding him with lightning until Typhon was wrapped in a cocoon of water and began to sink due to the weight of the chains. Typhon wailed in agony as he sank down but down he went as Poseidon opened a tunnel for him, sending him to Tartarus.

Cheers erupted from the warriors and the gods. They flew to SM headquarters where their offspring bowed to them in respect. Lay and Percy, tired from holding the giant, sank down on the ground. Zeus smiled at the demigods but it faded as he couldn’t spot his daughter anywhere. “Where is Suzy, godlings?”Zeus demanded. They looked down at the ground and blushed in shame. “WHAT?”He yelled as Krystal explained everything.

“We need to get her now!”Zeus said as he tried to get up on his chariot. Poseidon stopped him, making a barrier of water between him and his chariot. “What is the meaning of this, brother? My daughter’s in danger.”Zeus growled at Poseidon who shook his head. “Brother, it’s her fight. Not ours.”Poseidon sighed. “No! No! I can’t let her die. She’s the one reminder I have of Gianna.”He yelled, silent tears flowing out of his face. It was obvious that he was in overwhelming grief since he even ignored Hera’s death glare which normally kept him quiet.

“Father!”Apollo shook Zeus by his shoulders. Zeus looked up at his son with tears in his eyes. “Get a grip. Suzy isn’t going to die. I saw a vision. She’ll be fine. Injured, but fine in due time.”Apollo comforted. “That didn’t make me feel better, son.”Zeus said, annoyed. “What is the prophecy, brother?”Artemis asked, curious. “Well, I saw Suzy’s future. She’s happily married with kids.”Apollo smiled. “Ooh, who’s her husband?”Aphrodite giggled.

“I know, but I won’t tell. I’ll give a hint though.”Apollo grinned as he pointed at Kai and Lay. The two demigods glared at each other competitively. “Hey!”Zeus yelled, making the two look at him. “The three of us have a lot of stuff to talk about…”He growled. The two felt a lump arising in the back of their throat. “This cannot be good.”They thought in unison.