Chapter 27

The Demigods

Will had gotten out of the room, wiping his sweat off with his sleeve. Suzy went up to him, worried. “Is he okay?”Suzy asked. He nodded. “He won’t be able to fight for a few days but he’ll be fine.”Will smiled. He was shocked himself.Kai surviving was a miracle. She hugged him. “Thank you.”She said, making him blush. “Can I go see him?”She asked. He nodded. She hurried into the makeshift infirmary where she saw Kai resting up. He was shirtless, having a bandage wrapped around his chest. She immediately went up to him and sat down. She had a worried expression on her face.

“You look adorable when you’re worried.”A deep, hoarse voice chuckled. She flinched in surprise. She then looked down and her eyes met with Kai’s. She kissed him on his forehead and then hit him on his chest. “Ow, can’t you see a wounded hero over here?”Kai asked, yelping in pain. “I didn’t hit you that hard. And that was for making me worried, Kim Jongin. What if you died? I wouldn’t have forgiven myself if you died.”Her voice broke.

“You love me that much, huh?”He asked with a smirk. “Yeah, I do…”She stopped when she realized what she was saying. Kai grinned like the Cheshire cat. “Get well soon, Kai. We need you. More importantly, I need you.”She said as she cupped his cheek and kissed Kai once more on his forehead before leaving the room. A contented Kai smiled and laid back on his bed.

-

An explosion went off in Gangnam district as Lay, Suzy and others tried to fight a drakon off. The creature had breathed out a huge ball of fire at them. They dodged it. A black Mercedes Benz didn’t. They watched in amazement as the car flew into the sky like a rocket. The drakon was still going strong and they were getting weaker. It had fatally wounded many warriors. Lay and Suzy were hiding behind a pileup of cars, courtesy of the drakon. “We need reinforcements NOW!”Suzy yelled. “Speak of the devil.”Lay grinned as he pointed towards the road.

She followed his gaze and smiled. Chiron along with five hundred centaurs came charging in with paintball guns in hand. “Woo hoo, this is so freaking awesome. It’s much more than that convention in Michigan.” a centaur said. “Yeah, and the babes are hotter.”Another smirked, eyeing Suzy. She blushed. “Silence. Fight, gentlemen.”Chiron yelled as he shot down a hellhound with an arrow. The others followed, mowing down each and every monster with their paintball guns. They surprisingly even got rid of the drakon. They listened to the roar of pain in satisfaction.

Suzy and Lay got out of their hiding  place and immediately ran up to the old centaur and hugged him. “Chiron.”They both said in unison. “Thank you for the warm welcome.”Chiron smiled. “So, how’s the war going on?”He asked. “It’s going well.”Suzy said with indifference. “Well, let’s go inside and talk.”Chiron said, going into the base. Lay and Suzy looked at each other and shrugged. “Let’s go in.”Suzy smiled. Lay nodded and they went back to the SM headquarters.

-

“Well, your father has sent you a gift, my child.”Chiron said. “What gift?”Suzy asked, puzzled. “This.”Chiron got out an object wrapped in linen from his quiver. It was huge. “Open it, my child.”He smiled. That she did and boy, she got a huge surprise. It was a bejeweled trident with all three of Zeus’s, Poseidon’s and Hades’ symbols inscribed in it. “Is this what I think it is?”She asked. Chiron nodded. “The Spear of Triam. The one thing that will get rid of Kronos once and for all. But be careful, my dear. If this falls in the wrong hands, then…”He shuddered at the thought of it.

Suzy ran her fingers through the weapon. She shivered in excitement as she touched the Spear. She felt powerful. “Wait. If this consists of their weapons, how are my father and uncles fighting?”She asked. “They are the three elder gods, my dear. They’ll manage.”Chiron said with an uneasy smile. She knew that he didn’t know himself but she didn’t press the matter. “Well, well. If it isn’t my…son, Chiron.”A voice laughed. Everyone turned around and froze. Kronos was standing in front of them along with Naeun and a few other monsters.

All of the non-injured demigods drew out their weapons and pointed it towards the group. Kronos chuckled. “Feisty ones, aren’t you?”He asked, smirking. “Father.” said Chiron curtly. “You look…well.”He continued. “You look the same as well, Chiron. Ugly and huge.”Kronos laughed at his own joke. Suzy glared at her grandfather. How could he say such a thing to his own child? He rolled his eyes at the demigods pointing their weapons at his group.

“Make them drop their weapons. Or else, my monsters will love to eat some demigod BBQ.”He growled. “Down.”Suzy ordered. They immediately put back their weapons. “And besides, I am here to declare armistice. I don’t want to fight anymore-”He paused as he winked at the Aphrodite cabin who was fangirling over him. Suzy rolled her eyes. “What’s the catch, Kronos?”She asked. “The Spear of Triam. I need it to serve my purpose.”He said. “No. Are you mad?”She asked.

“No, just ambitious.”He grinned. “But I knew that you would say no. So, I have your Achilles heel with me.”He continued. He gestured for his monstrous minions to get something. They nodded and got a woman with her head encased in a pillowcase. She kicked and yelled in protest. Suzy froze. “No, it can’t be.”She thought.  Kronos opened the pillowcase. Suzy’s eyes widened. She was right. It was her mother, Gianna. “Relax. I won’t hurt her…until tonight. Meet us at the Banpo Bridge over Han River by midnight alone. Well, with the Spear, of course.”He smiled.

Suzy’s blood boiled. She wanted to kill him there and then. How could he have dared to involve her mother in this? She yanked Lightning Bolt of her hair and ran towards them. But she was too late. They had already disappeared. She sank down to her knees and moaned like a wounded animal. What was she going to do now?

-

“No, oppa! Kronos said to come alone. So, if I don’t want my mother to be impaled, I have to do as he says.”Suzy yelled in protest at Lay who wanted to come along. “I cannot allow you to do that. It is a trap. Once he gets the Spear, he’ll kill both you and your mom.”He replied. “No! I am sorry, but I can’t risk another person’s life. Especially yours.” She shook her head. “Why?”He asked. “Because I love you!”She screamed, and then froze. “What the hell did I just say?”She thought.

Lay froze too. But he was happy. “Y-You love me?”He asked, his lips curving into a smile. “Yeah…like a brother. I feel the same way for both you and Kai. I love you both like brothers.”She smiled. She turned back and bit her lip. She knew it was a big fat lie. She didn’t love them. She was in love with both of them. “So that is why I need to go alone.”She declared, pinning Lightning Bolt in her hair.

She grabbed the Spear and went outside of the SM headquarters. She looked up at the night sky and sighed wistfully. The night was filled with stars and the full moon had risen. “Such a gorgeous night!”She thought, forgetting the words of the prophecy.

On the night of the full moon arise; One hero shall make the greatest sacrifice…

Lay stood still in his spot. He wasn’t going to stand by and watch his love get killed. But he couldn’t get spotted either. Suddenly, an idea struck him. “Hey, Annabeth. Can I borrow your cap?”He asked.

*At Banpo Bridge*

Suzy was at the Bridge, waiting for Kronos to show up. Little did she know, Lay was behind her, waiting for them as well. “You’re right on time.”Kronos said, making her flinch. She turned around and saw him. Her mother was still held hostage. “The Spear, please.”Kronos said bluntly, holding out his hand as if she would give him readily. She shook her head. “No, no. My mom, first.”Suzy chewed the inner lining of her cheek, making it bleed.

“Alright. Both of us at the same time.”He sighed. She nodded. After three seconds, they had exchanged. “Mom!”She yelled in relief as she hugged her mom. She knew that her mom was never going to forgive her but she gave into her fatal flaw- her personal loyalty. She had no choice. “The Spear of Triam. Finally, it’s mine.”Kronos laughed. “And now…for the highlight of this beautiful night.”He evilly grinned, pointing the Spear at the two.

“Any last words?”He asked. Suzy was about to shake her head but then, her eyes then met with Naeun’s. “Yes, I do. It’s for Naeun. Son Naeun, why are you still helping him? You are the one who always taught us that good triumphs over evil, then why?”She said, tears threatening to spill. “I love Kris. That is why. And do you know the real reason I hate you? It’s because he was in love with you. Not me.”Naeun yelled. Suzy was in a state of shock. How could he have been in love with her? They never even talked personally. Lay, who was invisible, groaned inwardly. “Another member? Seriously?”He thought.

Naeun still clearly remembered the day she started to hate Bae Suji.

*Flashback*

Naeun was truly happy for the first time. Yes, she was now branded an outcast, but she truly didn’t care. She had her love by her side. Who cared if he wasn’t in love with her? She had her mother’s gift with her. She had worn the white sleeveless dress her mother had bestowed upon her during her claiming and touched up her makeup once again. She was a little nervous. She was confessing to him for the second time. But she looked at the arrow and her nervousness dissolved. She had cast a spell on the arrow, making its effect last forever.

She went to his room where she saw him looking at someone’s picture lovingly. “That must be the girl he’s in love with.”She thought. She cleared and knocked on the door. The arrow was hidden safely in her coat’s sleeve. He flinched and looked up. His eyes widened in surprise. “Hey, Naeun. You look really pretty today.”He complimented. She blushed.

“Thank you, oppa. I-”She stopped short when she looked at the picture. Her mind whirled and emotions were running wild. “Suzy?!”She yelled. “Oppa, that’s the girl you’re in love with? Bae freakin’ Suzy?”She continued yelling. “Son Naeun, don’t yell. Why are you making such a big deal of this?”He asked. “You’re asking me? You rejected me for her? You’ve never even talked to her.”She said. He got up with an angry expression on his face.

“Yeah? So what? I may never have talked to her but it’s called falling in love at first sight. Yes, it’s embarrassing and I am sorry I rejected you for a girl I have never even talked to, but I honestly don’t care. I am in love with her and I will always love her till my dying breath.”He yelled in frustration.

“Fine.”Naeun yelled back, tears stinging her eyes. She stormed back to her room. She broke the arrow into two and threw it into the ocean and cried her heart out. “I hate you, Bae Suzy. I hate you.”She yelled into the pillow. That was the day she started to hate Bae Suzy.

-Present-

Everybody was silent. The atmosphere had become awkward. Suddenly, Kronos sank to the ground in pain and yelled profanities. His minions looked at him, worried and afraid for their own lives. Suzy, noticing that he had lost his grip on the Spear, grabbed it before he could reach for it. He cursed her as he yelled in pain. On an impulse, Naeun stabbed every one of the monsters with her. She even tried to stab Kronos but he was too quick. He got up and grabbed her by the neck. “Traitor.”He growled as he threw her all the way across the bridge. She fell on the glass. It had made a crack due to her impact.

Suzy ran after her, leaving her mother behind. Lay followed. She held Naeun in her arms who was having difficulty breathing. Her body was covered in cuts and her head had a bruise forming. “Son Naeun, are you crazy? Why did you do that?”Suzy asked, crying. “Bae Suji, don’t cry. What I did was repentance. My price for falling in love with Kris and helping Kronos. I am so sorry. I hope that you...you can forgive me.”Naeun smiled weakly, closing her eyes and her body going limp and heavy. “Naeun!”Suzy yelled, crying into her chest.

Lay wanted to comfort the grieving girl but he knew he couldn’t. They then heard a cough. They looked at the direction of the cough and froze. Kronos held Gianna at knifepoint. She kicked and screamed in protest, but he didn’t flinch or budge. He then slit and laughed. Suzy felt as if her world were ending. She lost her mother. She then remembered the prophecy’s words: On the night of the full moon arise; One hero shall make the greatest sacrifice…The prophecy was right. On the night of a full moon, she had lost the one thing she loved more than anything in the world-her mother. She had made the greatest sacrifice.

Then, Kronos murmured something and then disappeared. Just then, they heard an explosion. The bridge was halfway blown up. Soon, the explosion had reached them. Suzy would’ve died due to the impact if Lay hadn’t held her and created a barrier of water. They fell into the river. Suzy was inconsolable. Her grip still on the Spear, she wanted to kill herself. Lay knew he had to step in this time. He took off the cap and looked into her eyes. “Bae Suji, get a hold of yourself.” He yelled, although he wanted to break down himself.

“This is my fault. If I had just given the Spear to him, none of this would’ve happened.”Suzy whimpered, her head resting against his chest. “No, it wasn’t. Naeun and your mom would be proud of you. You’re a warrior of a brave and true heart.”He interjected. They swam back to shore. They sat together on the sand as she cried her heart out. Time passed and she finally slept as the sun began to rise. “How can you be in such agony?”Lay thought, looking at the poor girl. “I promise I’ll protect you always. I’ll go down fighting for you.”He thought, kissing her gently on the forehead. “What can she now look forward to?”He said to himself.