Chapter 12

The Demigods

For the next 3 weeks, the three demigods were groomed to be the best of warriors. They were taught the art of war and mediation by Athena and Ares, archery by Apollo and Artemis, agility by Hermes, and the special training by their fathers. By the end of their training, they were well versed in all the fields. But as for their personal lives, neither of the two men made progress. Whenever Lay and Kai tried to confess to Suzy, something or someone always interrupted.

Suzy was whisked away by her father at the last minute when Lay finally got her alone. “Drat.” he cursed. Lay turned around to back to the throne room when he had seen a tall tan-skinned figure glaring at him-Kai. “Hey, Kai.”Lay smiled. “What the hell are you doing? Confessing to Suzy? You’re dating Eunji.”Kai rambled angrily. “I am not dating Eunji. She cheated on me.”Lay yelled. Kai was taken aback. “Oh, hyung. I am so sorry. But still, you know how I feel for Suzy.”Kai whispered.

“I know, Jong-in. I want to but I can’t. I have feelings for her too.”Lay pleaded. Kai was about to say something when Suzy had come up behind them and wrapped her arms around their necks. Both of them blushed at the sudden physical contact. “Come, you guys. Daddy and the rest of the council want to talk to us about something.”Suzy said.

“Yeah, let’s go.” said Lay. The three skipped over to the throne room where their fathers along with the other gods were discussing something very important. They looked serious. The three knelt to the ground in respect. “Arise, children.”Zeus said. They rose up and looked at the council. All of them, including Aphrodite and Apollo who were always bright, had grim expressions on their faces. They knew that this wasn’t going to be good.

“Kids, you three have made incredible progress this one month. You seem to keep your powers under control. And although we think it’s too soon, there is no time.”Poseidon said hesitatingly. “No time? No time for what, father?”Lay asked, worried. They didn’t like where this was going. “Kronos has been raised again, my dears. There is this prophecy where three children of the three elder gods will led a demigod army and defeat him.”Hades sighed.

“Apollo, get the Oracle of Delphi now.”Zeus ordered. Grumbling under his breath, Apollo, with a snap of his fingers, summoned the Oracle to him through an Iris message. To the three’s surprise, the Oracle wasn’t a mummified old woman, but a pretty redhead. “What do you want, Lord Apollo? I am in the middle of a sandwich, so make it quick.” she growled.

“Rachel, these are the demigods we told you about. Now.”Apollo’s grim expression changed into something much darker. “Anger doesn’t look good on him,” Suzy thought.  The girl sighed. “Fine. This is the prophecy.”Rachel grumbled. Then, to their horror, her eyes turned eerily green as she prepared to say the prophecy. Her voice changed. She recited the prophecy:

Three children of the elder gods shall lead the demigod army,

To a land where no Mist has done any obscurity,

On the night of the full moon arise,

One hero shall make the greatest sacrifice.

And another shall withstand a curse so great,

To save Olympus from being razed.

Suzy shuddered at the thought. They had been barely trained for 2 months and now they were going to have to lead a freaking army to fight against the King of Titans? “F-father, how can we?” Suzy stammered.  “We’re barely trained and you want us to fight against Kronos and his army?”She added in fear. “Suzy’s right. We’re only a few and we can get crushed like ants.”Lay said.

Kai was silent, and then he spoke up. “Guys, we may be a few kids but who the hell cares? We’ll fight till our very last breath. But we won’t give up. We are anything but cowards.” he said with a brave smile. Suzy couldn’t help but smile admiringly at him. So did the council of gods. “That’s my boy!”Hades praised.

“Very well, then. We will fight. But can someone explain the prophecy? Where is the land of no Mist?”Lay asked. “Korea.”Zeus said quickly. “What?”Suzy said, shocked. “How on earth are we supposed to fight monsters without getting caught by people?”She asked, yelling. “You’re exactly like your mother.” Zeus smiled. “Dad, I am serious. We’re freaking out as it is, we don’t need people freaking out seeing idols killing or getting killed by monsters.”Suzy chided.

“Now you sound like your stepmom.”Zeus joked, earning a glare from both his daughter and wife. He cleared his throat. “When the battle begins, we’ll cast a spell on all humans to make them sleep.”Zeus explained. Suzy sighed in relief. “Now that that’s done…Three of you, get ready.”Zeus said.

They were puzzled. “Ready? Ready for what?”Suzy asked. “To go back to Camp. There is only one month left before you go back to Korea.”Poseidon smiled sadly. “Oh, but we have gifts.”Apollo added. Suzy clapped her hands in glee. The gods smiled at the young beauty’s cuteness. “Well, for you as well for the other recruitments. Weapons to help them fight.”Athena explained.

They nodded. “Come forth, my daughter.”Zeus motioned for Suzy to come forward. She did and bowed in front of her father. “I am pleased with your determination, your skill and your power. So I present you with this gift.”Zeus handed her a beautiful ring with an opal set into it. She touched the opal out of curiosity, and lo and behold, it activated into an iron shield. The opal shone in the light. “This shield, like your sword, is made up of Stygian iron. The strongest of all. It was forged by Hephaestus himself as a gift to you.”Zeus smiled.

“Thank you, dad.”She bowed to her father in gratitude. “Thank you, Lord and Brother Hephaestus.”She added with a smile as she bowed to Hephaestus. The large, scowling lump of a man smiled shyly. “Now to my brave son, Kai.”Hades smiled slightly as Kai blushed. “You are a brave, strong-willed young man. Well, like father, like son.”Hades declared. “Excuse me? Young?”Apollo snickered. Hades glared at him.

“Anyways, where was I? Ah, yes. Your gift.”Hades cleared his throat. Then, out of nowhere, a curved sword and shield made up of celestial bronze appeared in his hands. “For you, my boy. Persephone had made this without my knowledge but I am glad. It’s a powerful weapon for a powerful man like you.”Hades said as he reverted back to his full 5-metre glory and sat down on his throne. Kai thanked his father and smiled at his sweet and gentle stepmother in gratitude. “You’re welcome, Jong.”Persephone mouthed and smiled back at her stepson.

“Now, for my dear son, Yixing.”Poseidon smiled. “Even thought you said that you wanted world peace-”The sea god was interrupted by the snickers of the other gods. He glared at them and continued. “I’ll have to gift you a weapon and shield to protect you.” he said, a bow with a quiver of arrows and a golden shield appearing in his hands. “Tyson and the other Cyclopes made the shield for you.”Poseidon explained. Lay was touched at his little brother’s thought.

“There will never be a shortage of arrows from this quiver, my boy. And it will never miss its target.”Poseidon smiled as he gave his gift to his eldest son. Lay put the quiver of arrows around his shoulders and held the bow in his hand. “It feels awesome.” he thought. They said their goodbyes to their fathers and turned to the other gods and started to receive the gifts for their friends from their godly parents.

“These are for my beautiful daughters, Jimin and Yerin.”Apollo said, handing Suzy a celestial bronze knife and a bow and a quiver of arrows. “They are opposites but they love each other. They remind me of me and Artemis.”Apollo grinned, earning a mock glare from his twin. He recited his goodbye through poetry, making everyone except Suzy groan. She didn’t get why they hated his poetry. She thought it was funny. “Only you appreciate true art, beautiful godling.”Apollo said, smiling at the girl while glaring at the others in the room.

“I’ll miss you, kids. You’re alright.”Ares admitted grudgingly. He handed a bayonet and sword to Kai. “The sword’s for Namjoon. And the bayonet’s for Tao. Tao may act like a sissy but he’s a damn good warrior.” he said. Suzy glared at him. “Tao oppa is not a sissy.” she thought. Aphrodite hugged her gorgeous granddaughter. “Take care, my sweetheart. Next time you’re here, we’ll raid the boutiques.”Aphrodite smiled at her granddaughter and legacy. “Okay, grandma.”Suzy smiled innocently at her immortal grandmother.

“Yeah, I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t call me grandma. I don’t like it. Call me by my name Aphrodite, okay?” Aphrodite asked, giving Suzy a warning glance. Suzy nodded. “This is for Naeun. She needs this.”Aphrodite added, giving her a box. Suzy opened it and saw a bunch of arrows. “Cupid’s arrows. Shoot this at someone; they’ll love you for 48 hours.”Aphrodite winked.

Lay got Athena’s gift for Krystal. It was a silver bracelet with her symbol-an owl on it. “Krystal will be invisible after wearing this bracelet. She is a stealthy warrior.”Athena said. Lay nodded. After saying their goodbyes and receiving the gifts, they went back home via shadow travel.

-

Meanwhile at camp, everything had gone by surprisingly smoothly. Krystal improved her sword fighting skills and became a well-rounded warrior. Her budding friendship with Leo also blossomed. He had asked her to go with him to the fireworks show 2 days from now. She giggled. Everything was going great for her except for one thing. She missed her friend badly. She knew they were at Olympus, training but Suzy didn’t even Iris message her. “She is going to get it from me when she comes back.”Krystal grumbled.

Jimin and Yerin became the best archers in camp. Everyone was in awe of their skill. Of course, Yerin was a bigger fan of knife throwing, but archery ran through her veins. They had pierced another arrow with one of their arrows at the target grounds. “You guys are great.”Annabeth praised. Yerin blushed and Jimin nodded. “Thanks, eonnie.”She thanked. Namjoon and his brothers were walking by. The two lovebirds shared a secret glance at each other before they walked away.

“Ooh, love is in the air.”Jimin teased. Yerin colored. “C’mon, love is already in the air. It’s just me and oppa are having a really tough time not acting cheesy.”Yerin smiled. “I wish I had a boyfriend. I would bully him all day long.”Jimin said wistfully, causing both Annabeth and Yerin to laugh. Just then, a Hermes kid came running to them. “They have returned.” the guy said, panting. “Who?”Annabeth asked. “Who do you think? Kai, Lay and Suzy. Come, you guys. Everyone has gathered to meet them.”he said, running back to where he came from.

“Suzy eonnie’s back. I hope she got us another gift.”Jimin exclaimed as she ran after the guy. Yerin and Annabeth followed her. They had reached the beach where everyone was gathered around the three demigods. “Eonnie, I missed you.”Jimin and Yerin exclaimed, hugging the older girl. “I missed you too, my adorable baby sisters.”Suzy giggled. Just then, they heard a voice. “Yah, Bae Suji. I am going to kill you.” it yelled. They turned around and saw Krystal running towards her. She hugged her best friend.

“I missed you so much. I have so much to tell.”Krystal said, nuzzling against her taller friend’s shoulder. Suzy just patted her back. Kai cleared his throat. “Guys, we need to talk to our friends. If you don’t mind, could you leave us alone for a bit?”Kai asked. Soon, the crowd dissolved, leaving only their friends and the head counselors of the camp.

“Our parents have given us gifts.”Lay explained. One by one, the others had gotten their parent’s gifts. “It’s beautiful.”Krystal said, in awe of the beautiful silver bracelet. She put it on and she disappeared. “Oh, cool. I am invisible.” she squealed in excitement. Tao twirled the bayonet in his hands. “This is so cool.” he smiled. “So what did you want to talk to us about?”Naeun asked, still disappointed from her gift. Kai took a deep breath and held Suzy’s hand for support. The three avoided looking at their horrified faces as they had explained the prophecy to them.

“Oh, no. We thought that he wouldn’t come back for at least a generation.”Percy bemoaned. “Quit whining, Jackson. I am with you guys. I haven’t had a real adventure in 5 years.”Clarisse grinned. The others nodded. Suzy smiled in relief. “They agreed so readily.” she thought. Just then, they heard a roar coming from the water. They looked behind in fear and saw a drakon. “Holy…”Jimin’s voice trailed off. “Styx.”Krystal completed her sentence.

The monster was huge. No, not huge. Gigantic! It was an over 150 foot tall serpent which was going to eat them if they weren’t going to act soon. Just then, Suzy jumped on its head and she stabbed it with her sword. It roared in pain but it was still alive. Suzy wrestled with it as it tried to throw her away. “Guys, a little help here.” she yelled. They snapped out of their horrified daze and started to attack. Lay, Will and Jimin shot arrows at it while Jason, Hazel, Frank, Piper, Yerin, Leo and Kai worked on its tail. Clarisse, Tao, Krystal, Percy and Rap Monster helped Suzy on its head. But to no avail. The monster was still going strong and their strength was waning.

“Jimin, Lay, Will, its weakest spot is its eye. Shoot at it.”Clarisse yelled as she fruitlessly tried to stab it on the head to weaken it. The archers looked at each other and sighed. They took aim at the eye. “Here goes nothing.”Lay thought as he let go of his arrow. It went straight into the monster’s eye. They high-fived each other as the monster fell down with a thud and turned into dust.

The tired warriors fell into the water, panting. “Does this always happen?”Suzy asked. “Once. Luke Castellan had summoned a hellhound. Ever since then, no monster has ever gotten in…till now.”Clarisse said grimly. “That means we have a spy.”Krystal realized. Just then, the others came. “What happened?”Chiron asked, looking at their wounds in horror. “Drakon.”Percy got out between heavy pants.

“Oh dear. But kids, where is Naeun?”Chiron asked. They looked at each other in confusion. “Didn’t she go to get you guys?”Piper asked. “No, we came here due to the roaring. Naeun didn’t come and get us.”Travis said.

Then it suddenly dawned on them. Naeun was the spy. Naeun was the one who had summoned the drakon into camp. “I am going to get her.”Suzy thought.