Day 8

Getting to Know You

            It was the first day back and the first thing Roffy heard after the usual honeymoon questions were over was, “So when are you planning on having kids?”

            She choked on her chocolate milk and checked to see if anything got on her scrubs before scowling at her very nosy coworker. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. We’ve only been married for a week. Who knows, maybe I decide I don’t want to have children with him.”

            The colleague’s face split into a very know-it-all smile. “You sure about that?”

            “No.” In truth, Roffy never really gave the question a thought. Well she had pre-marriage, but now that she was married, she found that she didn’t really think about it. What would happen would happen. Except, now she was thinking about it. She knew Yongguk liked kids, and he obviously wanted them. But how many, she did not know.

           Roffy thought about Sniffles and how Yongguk had joked around, saying that he was their child and smiled. Right now, taking care of one kid was enough. Imagine having to add another, more investment required, responsibility. She shuddered. She wasn’t ready.

            After work, she drove home, still thinking about it. When she got home, it was weird to see the lights off. Yongguk was probably still at the studio. After receiving her permission to continue on doing what he did, he had immediately set plans for another album release. She had watched him plan it with a passion that she admired. It was heartwarming to see musicians so into their work.

            Roffy let herself in and thought about ideas for dinner. This was the first time he would be tasting something she made and she nearly had a panic attack. She’s going to go slow. First, she’ll just serve him noodles and eggs and some sort of meat. He liked spinach, so she can make that. She didn’t want to make something too fancy or else his expectations would be high, forever thinking she was a gourmet chef on the side.

            As she cooked, she thought about the question from the morning. It would be nice to have kids with Yongguk, she decided. He was definitely responsible and loving enough to provide their family with stability and warmth. But she wasn’t quite sure about actually having the kids or the act that would lead to them.

            “I’m back,” a low voice sounded in her ear and she nearly dropped the spatula she was holding. She did, however, accidently burn her palm against the stove.

            Roffy let out a hiss and Yongguk immediately brought her hand under the faucet and ran cold water on the red spot. He blew gently on her flesh. “I’ll be right back.” She heard him run upstairs and came back down with a first-aid kit.

            He sat her down, disregarding the fact that the stove still had his dinner, and carefully applied medication. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have. Were you deep in thought?”

            She nodded and winced slightly as he wrapped gauze around her palm. “Yongguk, it’s just a burn. You don’t need to mummify me.”

            “It’ll get worse if you don’t keep it out of contact from other things.” She smiled at him and bit her lip. She definitely wanted kids with him.

            He set out the plates himself and served them both dinner. She watched anxiously as he ate and Yongguk choked. Roffy stood up immediately. “Are you okay?”

            He made a face and pointed at the meat. “I’m dying,” he moaned.

            She carefully clapped a hand on his back and then he grinned. “Joking. This tastes great. What was I doing, wasting efforts cooking for you when I had a chef right in mhome?”

            Roffat rolled her eyes and sat back down. “That was not appreciated.”

            He gave her the sweetest puppy eyes and pursed his lips. “I’m sorry, sorry,” he sang.

            After dinner was put away and they were sitting across from one another with a bowl of fruit between them, Yongguk placed his chin on his hand and stared at her. “What?” She took a bite of the strawberry and watched him warily.

            “I have a question.” She waved her fork, indicating for him to continue.

            “How many kids do you want to have?”

            Roffy choked on the fruit and he sat up in alarm. “What’s with that question? I’ve been asked that already.”

            “By whom?” Yongguk’s eyes narrowed. “I’m going to kick his .”

            She let out a tiny giggle. Yongguk jealous was really kind of cute. “I mean people asked me when I would plan for having kids with you.”

            He relaxed and smiled playfully again. “Well?”

            “What? I don’t know.”

            “At least tell me how many kids so we can start planning. Like one a year, or with a few years in between,” he trailed off.

            “How many do you want?” she asked him.

            Yongguk smiled sweetly at her. “I would say a number but you’d kick me. It’s you who have to carry and birth the baby, so I’ll let you decide.”

            “Thirty-two,” she replied.

            His eyes widened and his lips parted in shock. “Really?”

            “Yes. Really. Kid one, kid two, all the way to kid thirty-two. We may need some twins and triplets in there to make them all come within a decent amount of time.”

            He laughed, a shy chuckle that had her heart warming. “Wow, okay. Maybe we should get on that then.”

            “I’m joking!” she stood up and started to move towards the kitchen. “Maybe three or four. Nothing too crazy,” and chuckling nervously, she walked into the kitchen again to fan herself before her emotions could make her go crazy.


Can't believe it's Day 8 already