Day 22

Getting to Know You

            The hustle and bustle of the city took her breath away. The lights and the noise were nothing like what she had expected. Sure she’s seen pictures and movies but nothing could compare to feeling the energy with all five of her senses. “Beeeeeeeeeep!” Yongguk pulled her waist to keep her from being hit by a speeding taxi. How cars could still speed in this busy street was beyond her.

            “You need to be careful,” he chuckled. “We don’t need you being labeled as a tourist because goodness knows, New Yorkers hate them.”

            She stared up at the lights and the screens with their moving images, showing advertisement after advertisement and sighed. “So this is what people call the ‘Crossroads of the World.’ It’s just so busy.

            “We’re in the city that never sleeps, hon. Which stores do you want to go into?”

            They walked hand in hand and she smiled politely at the street peddlers who advertised Comedy Central and the slightly creepy Doras and Elmos who approached them. Times Square at night was so much more alive than it was in the morning. When they had first arrived, the two of them had explored other parts of the city, going to an off-Broadway show and finding hole in the walls.

            Now, they were let loose on the streets and the energy of this one hub pulsed around them. “Look at that giant McDonalds! It’s like a gigantic heart attack waiting to happen.”

            Yongguk snorted and they continued walking down. “Look a the Best Buy Theater. We performed here many times over the years.”

            Roffy found herself unable to stop turning her head. Everything demanded for her attention. “It’s such a shame that we’re only here for two days.” She looked at him pointedly, almost as if blaming Yongguk for their short trip.

            “Hey, I tried my best but your boss needs you to help out.”

            She pretended to roll her eyes and pointed at the famous steps in the middle of the streets. The view from there gave them a visual perception down multiple streets and she felt as if on top of the world. She took out her phone and pointed the camera at the two of them.

            Behind her, Yongguk was making silly faces and she took a picture, uploading it onto all the social media sites she had. “Times Square with Perfection,” was her caption.

            He stole a look at what she wrote and grinned shyly. “Hey, your words not mine.”

            Even though there were millions of people watching and maybe nobody really watching, Roffy tiptoed and kissed him. His arms came around her waist and he smiled against her lips. “Times Square with the one I’ve always wanted,” he told her.


ONE DAY ROFFY YOU WILL COME TO NEW YORK AND I WILL TAKE YOU TO TIMES SQUARE AND I'LL PRETEND THAT THERE'S A YONGGUK THERE