Day 30

Getting to Know You

            She saw the circled date on the calendar and dropped open in surprise. How had it been a month already? There was no way she had been tethered to this piece of perfection, this sometimes irritating slab of meat, this gorgeous being, for a month. There must be something wrong. Her mind flew over the colorful memories and she smiled to herself.

            It had been a hectic month and she was happy that it came to be the way it was.  They had their ups and downs, and she knew that there would be more to come. No marriage was blissful and stressfree. There was also a small stab of fear that maybe the first month still counted as the honeymoon stage and things were still tolerable.

            What if by her next period, he would be tired of her mood swings, and what if they just stopped caring? It was a constant fear that was buried in the back of her mind but Roffy knew better than to let it consume her. Just take one small step at a time, she thought. Her parents survived. So can she.

            “Why are you staring at the calendar with a dumbstruck expression on your face? Is something coming up that I don’t know about?”

            Roffy turned to him and reeled back in shock. Why was Yongguk dressed in a suit? What was going on? This was the first time she’s seen him dressed so nicely since their wedding and now he looked almost like he was ready for another one.

            “What?” He looked down self-consciously.

            “Why are you dressed like that?”

            “You’re going to have to dress up too.”

            He took her by the shoulders and steered her towards their room. He pointed at a beautiful emerald dress that was on the bed. “Wear, and let’s go.”

            “Where are we going?”

            His eyes were glittering as he leaned in. “As much as I know you were planning on spending our one month anniversary in here,” and he pointed at the bed, “We need to go out first.”

            Roffy’s face bloomed a deep red and he kissed her cheek. “See you in a few.”

            She muttered incoherent words to herself as she allowed herself to slide into the dress. The material hugged her body and she turned, staring at the mirror. She tucked her hair behind her ear almost shyly and sat down to do her makeup.

            Yongguk was leaning against the wall outside their door, checking his watch when she stepped out. He turned with his mouth open (probably to complain about how long she took) but soon his jaws went slack with simply amazement. “Wow, you look prettier than you did on our wedding,” he said.

            “That’s not much of a compliment. Were you calling me dumpy looking then?”

            He took her hand in his reverently and bowed deeply. “Of course not. I didn’t think an angel could surpass an angel, and you looked like an angel then.” She hid her face at his words and he smiled.

            “Let’s go.”

            The restaurant was a small, secluded one and she saw that he had booked it exclusively for them. There was one table in the middle and on it was a bouquet of roses and candles. There was a small card that when she sat down, she saw that it read ‘infatuation.’

            Yongguk smiled shyly. “It seems that every day, I become a little bit more infatuated and in love with you as I discover more of your habits.”

            “Don’t say that. One day, you’ll be tired of them.”

            He covered her hand and shook his head. “You know I never get sick of things I’m passionate about.”

            Dinner was relaxing. They talked comfortably and it felt like any other dinner. Roffy liked being able to do fancy things with him but not feel the stiffness of the formal attire. It was in the middle of their conversation that Roffy saw him looking at her intently and felt taken aback.

            “What’s wrong?”

            He leaned over and kissed the corner of , his tongue sweeping across her skin. Roffy bristled. “Yongguk!” she hissed.

            He sat back down and smiled contritely. “Sauce on your mouth.” And then he hesitated before looking around and whispering, “But you can look forward  to more of that at home.” Yongguk winked and Roffy instinctively kicked him under the table. She saw his mouth pucker with pain.

            “Happy anniversary, dear husband,” she said sweetly. 


Last day tomorrow. Prepare for lots of sappiness from me in my letter to you.