Day 21

Getting to Know You

            It was the weekend and the two of them were working at home. Roffy finished up her paperwork just as Yongguk looked up. “I have a surprise for you,” he told her.

            “A surprise? I hate surprises. They scare me so much.”

            He smiled. “This one is a really good one. Are you done with work?”

            “I just finished.”

            He stood up and stretched and started saving the multiple compositions he had been working on. “In that case, let’s go.”

            “Go where?”

            He spread his arms out. “To the realm of infinite surprises.”

            Roffy scowled but followed him anyway. She hated being surprised and hated the anticipation. She didn’t like looking forward to things that she didn’t know what to expect. It created a sense of insecurity and it made her feel off-kilter.

            In the car, Yongguk insisted she placed on a blindfold and that only heightened her fear. “Yongguk, I’m scared,” she finally told him. The tremble in her voice made him alert.

            He reached for her hand. “Trust me. I wouldn’t do anything to you that would make you upset. Just breathe, and look forward to something.”

            “I hate not knowing.”

            He chuckled. “Just a few more minutes.”

            He parked the car and helped her out of her seat. It was disorienting to not know where she was going but Yongguk held onto her hand tightly. He murmured instructions to her before finally just picking her up and walking with her. She swayed along to his footsteps and pressed her beating heart against him so he could know how nervous she was.

            “Deep breaths, Roffs. Deep breaths,” he ordered as he finally placed her down. She could hear an echo and knew that she was in a large place. Judging from the way her small heels clacked, she was on a wooden surface and there were great acoustics.

            “Where are we?” she breathed out and she heard him fumbling with something. Technically, she could easily take off the blindfold. All she had to do was reach up but something kept her from doing it. She didn’t want to ruin whatever it was Yongguk had planned.

            “Okay, you can take it off now,” he breathed. She did so and found herself in a theater. She recognized the seating and the format of the place. But that didn’t matter because Yongguk had a microphone in front of him and he was looking at her intently.

            Completely acapella, he started singing and she hugged herself. His singing voice was not as deep as his speaking voice and there was something a little off about it but hauntingly off. When he sang, especially when he poured the emotions, she could feel herself being swept by whatever he was feeling.

            Roffy watched him as he sang a familiar song. She couldn’t understand the Korean but she recognized the melody. He had been writing it and practicing it and she had asked him the story behind it. It was about dark days and hopelessness and she had told him she loved it.

“I don’t know what to say no more.

It’s the Q, Q

It’s the Q, Q

Do you know?”

            Yongguk placed down the microphone and walked to her. “You said you liked the song,” he told her. He held her to him and rocked her. “There, private concert. Did you like it?”

            She smiled and nodded. “Did we really have to come all this way though? You couldn’t just sing me to sleep.”

            “Then where’s the pizzazz in that? But that’s not the entire surprise.”

            Her eyes widened. “There’s more? Don’t tell me. You got your members here too.”

            “No, but good guess. I wanted to but decided they were just going to ruin the moment. We’re going to New York tomorrow.”

            “What about work?”

            “I called in off for you. They understand.” He was smiling and Roffy teared.

            “I always wanted to, I, how did you know?”

            “Lucky you have friends from there. Jill helped me set everything up. We’re going on the plane tonight. It’s just for two days, nothing big. But we’re going!”

            Roffy squeezed him. “Who’s going to take care of Sniffles?”

            “I’m giving him to Junhong in the dorm.”

            She leaned into him and let out a squeal. “Okay, good surprise. I’m happy.”

            He kissed the top of her head. “I know. It’s why I did it.”