Day 11

Getting to Know You

            “Special delivery!”

            The entire nursing staff gathered in their office and the head nurse received the package. “For Mrs. Bang,” she read out loud and immediately, smiles and smirks were going around the room.

            Roffy stepped forward and took the basket from her, her hands shaking. “What is this?” she whispered.

            The other nurses peered over her shoulder as she undid the wrapping and the wonderful smell of spiced potatoes and chicken filled the room. She looked down and smiled. Yongguk had had an entire basket filled with warm samosas delivered.

            Plates were handed out and every member of the staff got some of the delicious savory pastry. Roffy fanned herself as her colleagues . “He’s so kind to you.” “Yeah, Roffs, when are you going to reward him with a baby?” “I want your husband!”

            She chuckled a little at them and tucked her hair behind her ear. “Guys, you should eat before it gets too cold.”

            One of the nurses in charge of the cardio department bit into her samosa first. As she pulled the pastry away, she saw the white piece of paper stuck between her lips. “There’s something in here!”

            This caught everyone’s attention and she cleared . “Thinking of you, Roffu.” Everyone cooed and Roffy hid her face in her uniform. The discovery of this one piece of paper had others looking in their samosas for potentially more slips.

            “Oh, get this, I love you –BYG.”

            “I think this one is better! “Forever with you, Roffy my love.”

            “Wow, Roffy, you’re so lucky!”

            She smiled meekly at them and even though on the inside this was the most romantic thing a guy has done for her, she was embarrassed. Did he really have to make such a grand gesture? Did he really have to include all of her coworkers too?

            “Guys,” she cleared . “How about we not read what Yongguk has to write to me and just hand over the papers without reading them?”

            Her supervisor nudged her and wiggled her eyebrows. “Don’t hog, Roffy. If you have such a fabulous husband, you’re going to have to deal with our fangirling over him a little longer.”

            She groaned. “Guys, there’s something called privacy?”

            They snorted. “Dearie, in our office, there is no such thing as privacy. When you announce that you’re pregnant, you will bet our first question would be, how was the like?”

            Roffy moaned and shook her head. “I regret the day I applied for this job.”

            “Please. You love us.”

            They continued to pass the slip of paper back and forth, squealing at the endearments. “Does he really call you Roffu?”

            “No,” she colored. “I don’t even know how he knows I like being called that.”

            They wiggled their eyebrows. “Man, if I could go back and do it all over again, I would never have married my husband and would have waited for this one instead.”       

When her shift was over, even though hers was the last shift, nobody in the office had left. As Roffy hung up her scrubs, she looked around. “Are none of you planning on going home tonight?” she asked.

            They all pretended to be tapping away busily at their keyboards and she raised her eyebrows skeptically. “What are you guys up to?” she asked them.

            It was only when Roffy’s phone lit up with a call from Yongguk that they all looked up. “Oh, you’re outside? I’ll be right there. Mhm, see you in a few.”

            “I’m going guys. Hope you get your work done,” she waved at them and pushed open the door to the office.

            Yongguk was leaning against the car, smiling at her. “Hey,” he greeted her and from behind her, she heard loud squeals and swoons.

            “Thank you so much for the samosas!” her entire team chorused behind her. Roffy jumped and spun around at them. They were ridiculous.

            He gave a shy chuckle and ducked his head. “Any time.”

            He waved to them and opened the door for her. Roffy got in and smiled thinly as they drove away to their adoration.

            “Did you find the notes?”

            “You mean did they find the notes.” Her tone was sharper than she intended it to be and Yongguk made a slight ‘o’ with his mouth.

            “Are you upset?”

            She looked over at him. He was focused on the road but she saw the corners of his mouth lower. Her heart constricted. “No, of course not. It was the sweetest thing after getting me Sniffles. I just don’t really work well with public declarations.”

            He glanced at her. “You sure you’re okay?”

            “Of course. Everyone tells me how lucky I am and I know how lucky I am. Stop worrying yourself and drive faster. Our son is hungry.” She squeezed his hand and was rewarded with his beautiful smile.