Day 19

Getting to Know You

            They were both screaming at the television.  It was perhaps the most heated game in the entire World Cup match up for the two of them. It was Germany playing against Portugal. “Come on! Kick that ball into the net already!” Roffy screamed as she watched the players dribble the ball back and forth, passing it from one to the other but never quite getting the ball in.

            Roffy was bouncing on her toes, watching the screen intently. “Yo, that was a freaking yellow card!”

            “No, what are you talking about? That doesn’t even count as a foul!” Yongguk was just as excited as he chewed on his lip and followed the players back and forth across the field.

            The two of them were completely absorbed by the game and failed to notice two people letting themselves into the house. When Germany scored a goal, Roffy jumped up and screamed in happiness. “Take that! You and Ronaldo can’t even stop us.”

            Yongguk rolled his eyes and pointed at the screen. “Watch. We’re going to have a comeback.”

            “Yep, they’re watching the world cup.” A familiar voice sounded and Roffy finally turned around.

            “When did you guys get here? How did you even get in?

            Daehyun crossed his arms and gave her his classic smirk. “You gave Jill the keys, remember?”

            She made an impatient wave with her hands and turned back to the screen where Germany had scored yet another goal. “In your face, Yongguk!” She was too into the game and was starting to revert back to childhood insults.

            “Oh, mature,” he tossed back dryly and she flipped him off.

            Jill coughed and pushed Daehyun into the kitchen. “Let’s ignore those two and make dinner.”

            “Make dinner for us too?” Roffy called out.

            “Yeah right. The food will be gone. You know how Daehyun gets.”

            “Hey!”

            But by then the soccer obsessed couple had ignored the one in their kitchen as the game came into halftime. They walked into the kitchen to smell fried rice. Yongguk grabbed a bowl and wolfed it down as he was pointing out the different moves Portugal should have done to do better.

            Roffy, on the other hand, was completely smug. “A loser would root for a loser.”

            “Ouch,” Daehyun laughed around his mouthful of food. “Hyung, I thought you said you married someone nice.”

            She aimed a kick at the talkative boy. “Be quiet. We’re talking soccer. Who do you support?”

            Daehyun pointed at his Korean jersey. “Gotta go for the home country, yo.”

            From the television, the announcement came on that the game was back. The four of them crowded into the living room to watch. The game was currently 3-0 Germany. There was a whistle and Yongguk groaned.

            “Yes, Pepe got himself a red flag. to .”

            Yongguk threw his hands in the air. “I can’t even watch the end of the game,” he moaned as Germany proceeded to score another goal. “What is the goalie doing?”

            “Not his job apparently,” Roffy taunted gleefully, screaming and shouting when the winner was announced.

            Yongguk sighed and flopped onto the couch. “Daehyun, we can trade for a day. I don’t think I can deal with this madness for the next month.”        

            His bandmate laughed and flung an arm around his girlfriend. “Nope, sorry. You need to take what you got, and you happened to get someone who really likes Germany. Let’s hope Portugal shapes up or you’ll never hear the end of this.”

            Yongguk pointed a finger at Roffy. “Right now. Let’s bet. Portugal for the championships.”

            She snorted and tossed a nacho at him. “After this performance, I say even India has a better chance of winning.”


This was the effing hardest chapter to write because what the hell do I know about the World Cup?

I TRIED ROFFY I TRIED

AND EMBARRASSED MYSELF ALONG THE WAY BUT YOU KNOW

A GIRL'S GOTTA STICK BY HER GUY NO MATTER HOW EMBARRASSING HE IS