Day 3

Getting to Know You

            They were going to spend the whole day in the water, he said. The very thought of it terrified her. She wasn’t the best swimmer, she could survive if she had to, but all the times where her brother had thrown her off the deep end of the pool had traumatized her.

            “We’re at a beach. What’s the point if we don’t go in?”

            Roffy wrinkled her nose. “Going into the water would mean wearing a swimsuit and getting sand everywhere.”

            Yongguk laughed patiently and held out the large towel. “Pack this. I’ll bring the sunscreen. Also, make sure you wear something that’s not very revealing. I don’t want wandering eyes.”

            She looked at him with a face void of expression and then ran into the room, barely suppressing a grin. Yongguk was honestly everything she had asked for. He was a bit shy, but so was she, and sometimes his comments were a bit teasing rather than the swooning Prince Charming he was supposed to be, but she liked it. If he were too perfect, then she wouldn’t feel at ease with him.

            When she came downstairs wearing a bikini with a cover-up, his eyes widened. “Didn’t I say not to wear something so revealing?”

            She blinked innocently at him. “Wouldn’t husband dearest be able to protect me?”

            Yongguk let out a deep sigh and rubbed his face. “You make my life so hard.”

            Roffy glared at him. “We’ve only lived together for two full days!”

            “And I’m already dying,” he deadpanned. He grabbed a sweater and waved it at her. “At least wear this.”

            She choked. “Do you want me to overheat and die?”

            “I want to keep what’s mine, mine,” he replied and just because of what he said, she conceded.

            “I’ll go find a darker cover-up.”

            The breeze was making her summer dress fly up anyway, but Yongguk was next to her and they were taking in the sun. Roffy leaned against him and he pointed out the different species of starfish and shells scattered in the sand.

            “Were you some sort of tidal beach nerd back in your younger days?” she .

            Yongguk smiled sheepishly. “I admit, it was once a hobby of mine.”

            She squatted down and pointed at a particularly thin and elongated starfish. “Care to name this one for me?”

            “Ah, that one’s a brittle starfish. They’re normally found deep in the waters, so I wonder why this one is here.” He the various tangles gently but Roffy was staring at him instead. All her life, she’s been accepting of her arranged marriage but never once did she realize that the process of getting to know him later would be so much fun as well.

            After their tour of the beach, Yongguk found a place to settle their belongings. He looked at her and smiled. “Ready for the water?”

            She shook her head. “I swear, if you even leave my side for a second…”

            At this comment, her husband laughed. “Do you think I’m crazy? Who in their right mind would leave your side even for a moment?”

            Roffy wrinkled her nose, too embarrassed to continue. Sometimes the greasy lines he drops on her make her heart pound a little too hard. She took off the cover-up and immediately his arms went around her. “Wha-“

            Yongguk had curved his body over hers, pushing her towards the water. “I’m covering you so nobody can look.” She laughed out loud and allowed him to walk her towards the shores. When her toes came in contact with the cold water, however, she screamed.

          He pulled away. “Note to self, never take Roffat to the amusement park. My eardrums will probably shatter.”

            He took the lead, holding onto her hand and helping her ease into the water. When they were chest deep, he pushed off, swimming further out into the ocean. Roffy followed next to him and every once in a while, he would tread water and hold her as she tried to stable herself. The two of them tread water next to one another, rocking along with the gentle waves and shouting whenever a large one would submerge them briefly.

            Roffy stared at Yongguk and snorted. She waded over to him and pulled a seaweed out of his hair. He grinned and he pulled her onto his chest as he floated on his back. They allowed the waters to take them back and when they neared the beach again, Yongguk suddenly stood.

            “Race you back! Loser has to make dinner!”