Day 14

Getting to Know You

            The whistle pierced her ears from a mile away and she grit her teeth. Just grin and bear it. It was something she was used to. Guys will be creeps, and that was a fact of life. Normally it would just blow away but this time, he followed.

            “Hey lady, mind giving me some of that?”

           Yongguk, who was next to her stiffened.  His arm came up around her shoulder protectively and he muttered, “You go ahead. Let me deal with this.”

            Roffy mumbled from the corner of , “Let it go. I don’t really want to cause a scene.”

            He walked closer to her and the guy was still behind them. “Come here! Ditch the Asian and come with me. Things are a lot bigger on this side, if ya get my drift.”

            She clenched her hand on his shirt to keep him from doing anything rash and urged him forward. “Forget it. He sounds drunk.”

            Yongguk turned his head and shot back, “The only thing big over there seems to be your mouth. Shut it and go home before things get ugly.”

            She winced and walked faster. “Please don’t let the guy get angry,” she prayed. She held on tightly to Yongguk and he whispered, “Don’t worry. He wasn’t expecting me to say anything. He just got stopped by a cop.”

            Roffy peeked behind her and saw, much to her relief, the police doing their jobs and she muttered a prayer of thanks. She probably lost ten years off her life because of this.

            “You know,” she started, but found Yongguk staring angrily ahead. “Hey, you okay?”

            “No,” he replied testily. “I hate men like that. I think that’s absolutely disrespectful and how do they live with themselves? What the heck is wrong with them?”

            She pecked him on the cheek, needing to stop walking and tiptoeing to do so. “You’re so good,” she told him.

            Yongguk looked down in surprise. “That was unexpected.”

            “Yeah, and so was your reaction back there. Come on, you can’t change all of them. As long as I have you, it’s okay.”

            “What if I weren’t here today?”

            “Well, from past experience I tend to just walk faster and probably shoot a nasty comment back.”

            He chuckled. “Nasty comment? And you were scared of me getting jumped. Next time, just run.”

            She leaned into him. “Anything you say, husband dearest.”