Day 20

Getting to Know You

They were situated around the dining table and Roffy held her breath. Dinner with her mom was always an interesting experience. One never knew what she would bring up and currently, she was too quiet. Ever since they’ve gotten back to the house, her mother had only greeted them and went back to the kitchen to cook. Her dad was rambling on about soccer, but her mother hadn’t said a word outside of anything in the realm of politeness.

            Roffy watched her mom intently as she placed another plate on the table. “Yes!” her father was cheering about the newest goal and she tried to get into it, but her mind was too much on her mom.

            She glanced at Yongguk, who was eating respectfully and toning down his sports watching side. Her mother also kept eyeing the two of them as she placed down a plate before she finally sat across from her daughter and stared her intently in the eye.

            “Is there something wrong, mom?” she asked.

            Her mother shook her head but her eyes were saying otherwise. “Wrong? Of course not.”

            Roffy narrowed her eyes and her father stood. “I’m going to watch in the living room.” And that was how she knew something was up. There was clearly something her mother wanted to say to her and it was something her father did not wish to get involved with.

            “What’s wrong?”

            “Eat,” was all she said. Yongguk bowed silently and reached for more vegetables as her mother watched them like a hawk.

            When she served the fruit, she still sat silently and Roffy spoke up again. “All dinner you barely ate and only stared at us. What?”

            “Do you not have anything to say to me?”

            “What?” This line sounded familiar. Maybe she had done something wrong without realizing it and now Momma Roffs was angry. “Did I do something wrong?”

            “No,” her mother sighed, her voice bordering on impatience. It was the same tone she used whenever she was annoyed and called Roffy ‘stupid.’ “Unless you’re not doing anything.”

            “What?” Even Yongguk had looked up from his food now. Roffy crossed her arms. “Okay mom, no more being mysterious. Spit it out.”

           “When are you going to tell me if I’m going to be a grandmother or not?” Now that the fountain was opened, it was impossible to backtrack. Roffy looked at her mom in horror and avoided looking to her side where she knew Yongguk must be gaping as well. Her mom stood. “It’s been nearly three weeks. Do you have any plans on having children? I’m not getting any younger you know and I’d like to hold a grandchild before I die.”

            “Mom, you’re not going to die any time soon,” Roffy rolled her eyes. “Have some patience. Most couples wait at least a year or two these days.”

            Her mom placed her head into her hands. “I’m going to regret this, I know it,” she groaned. She stood up and called for her husband. “They don’t want kids!”

             “Hold up. I said not now, not not ever.”

            “She says she never wants children!” Her mom shouted towards the living room.

            “What the hell was that call? He barely touched him!” was the angry response and Roffy’s mom sighed.

            “I’m surrounded by idiots.”

            Yongguk cleared his throat and gently touched his mother-in-law’s hand. “Please be a little more patient. We promise the baby will be coming soon.”

            Roffy stared at him angrily as her mother beamed and patted his hand. “Good, good. I knew I chose well.” She turned her sharp eyes onto Roffy and jerked her head at Yongguk. “You keep this one. It took a lot of bickering to steal him from the other moms you know.”

            And she left the two of them with a smug smile.

            Roffy closed her eyes and muttered from the corner of . “Did you say that to appease her?”

            “No? We do have plans for a baby.”

            “Maybe we should show her Sniffles.”

            “Do you want her to get a heart attack?”

            Roffy grinned and stood to clear away the dishes. “Let’s forget this happened and go watch the game.”

            “You can’t avoid this forever, Roffat!” came her mom’s voice from the kitchen and Roffy groaned. Of course her mother had to be listening.


I had too much fun writing this lol