Interim Chairman

Make it Real

In one summer afternoon, Mrs. Hasun helped Juniel in baking a fresh cranberry cake for her Papa who was then attending a meeting with his senior adviser from Vietnam. Eversince she was young, Juniel spent most of her free time in the kitchen watching their personal chef doing her expertise. She was simply good at imitating their cook's style of preparing foods and decorating. She continuously improved since then and eventually, learned how to combine different flavors and make innovative mouth-watering foods on her own. Mrs. Hasun loves the way her daughter grows with her culinary skill. If that is her gift, she will not stop her. She even planned to start a restaurant soon to support her daughter's talent. Juniel combined all the dry and liquid ingredients in a bowl while her Mama was doing it's cream. The girl was mixing them with a whisk while the mother stirring the sauce. Mrs. Hasun is not good in kitchen so she just followed what her daughter commanded.

When the cake is done, Mrs. Hasun tasted it with a serving fork. "Perfect! Your father will love it."

"Is it really delicious?" Juniel asked her mother, being glad at her remark.

"Of course. This is really great."

The mother and daughter were tasting the beautiful cake when a maid approached them. "Mam you have phone call from the secretary." She handed the phone to the woman after she wiped her lips with table napkin. "Yes?" The secretary's voice was cracked nervously while relaying the news that Mrs. Hasun's husband was rushed to the hospital because of sudden numbness and unexplained fall. The wife had been dispirited hearing the unexpected news. "Which hospital?"

The old woman rushed to her dressing room to change her clothes. The curious daughter followed her, troubled by her mother's sudden movement "Mama what's wrong?"

Her mother could not tell it as to not make her daughter feel worry. "I'll tell you later. Just stay here okay?"

"Mama..."

"Please..."

Mrs. Hasun went quickly to SNUH, Korea's world-class hospital where the chairman was confined. The old man was still in emergency room under observation. His wife sat on a bench outside E.R. with her clasped hands, uttering a deep prayer "Merciful God please help my husband."

One moment a doctor came out meeting the wife of the patient.

"Mam I'm sorry to tell that your husband was diagnosed suffering from a major ."

"Oh God?!" Anxiety roamed accrossed inside her, Hasun sat with trembling legs.

"Yes. We're giving now emergency medication to save your husband from danger. However, he needed surgical treatment for the brian damage. As of now, we're still uncertain of the possible after-effects of and chances of recovery. We just need your support and most especially prayer."

The information weakened her body as she fights her distress. She could not bear it as she tried to call her husband's friend, Sunhwa. Monghee's wife was then attending some conference have to leave early to console her friend.

Mrs. Sunhwa arrived in the VIP recovery room which Mrs. Hasun prepared for her husband. The younger woman embraced her unnie after finding out what had happen to Sungho.

Mrs. Hasun could not surpress her cries while telling the story "He was seen in the meeting when he experienced headache and numbness until he fell on the floor. The doctor told me that he's suffering from ."

'My goodness." Mrs. Sunhwa embraced her again while tapping her back. She was disheartened too as she is treating Sungho her real brother.

"Yes. They are now removing the blockage from the mid cerebral artery." She told her while continiously wiping her tears.

"How about Juniel? Where is she?"

"I didn't tell her yet, she might suffer as me."

"She should know this. Her Papa needs her here, I'll call her now."

Juniel could not rest as she kept wondering on what happen to her mother. Her phone rang and it was Auntie Sunhwa who told her that her Papa was sent to hospital. The heart-breaking news had struck her making her to feel or think unproperly. She did not change her clothes as she quickly ask their driver to bring her to the SNUH.

When she arrived, she went straightly to her mother and hugged her tightly, burying her face at her chest. She could not control her fear and sadness after finding out.

"Mama..."

"Shhh your Papa is okay. We just need to pray." Encouraged by her equally sad mother.

The daughter nodded trying her best to conceal her tears.

After of long wait, the unconscious Mr. Sungho was delivered to ICU. They got a chance to partly see his ill state through a small window. They were prohibited to visit the old man as he was still recovering from surgery. The doctor told them that the old man survived yet the aftermath severe disabilities is feared to occur. It made the wife and daughter cried in aguish. Mrs. Sunhwa who was with them called his husband who was then in China to inform this depressing news.

Mr. Monghee was saddened by the information as he could feel the pain Sungho's family is going through. He extended his sincere support, making a promise that he'll give assistance to whatever his cousin and the family's need.

The treatment and rehabilitation for this case will take long process for the patient causing the wife to worried with their company as well. "Who will manage JSB for the meantime?" Concerned by Mrs. Sunhwa.

"Let's trust the board of directors." Her husband answered.

"Could they evaluate first before replacing him temporarily?" Sunhwa asked her husband again thinking that Sungho will not be able to do his responsibility and that might put their corporation in chaos.

"This is emergency. The directors could appoint immediately."

"Is there any more option?"

"Then again, as CEO of Junhee Bank's parent company, I have the  right to appoint its own board member." CFG owns 55% voting stock of this subsidiary thus they have right to elect or even appoint.

"Then you must do it." Asked by his wife.

"I need to think it thoroughly."

"Honey, let's just use our family's power in controlling our corporations. I don't want non-relative to replace Sungho oppa." Fearing of someone might take advantage of their sister-company's vulnerable state.

"Then who do you want to suggest?"

"Our son, Minho. I'm sure Sungho oppa and his wife will agree in this." Since Sungho and Sunhwa talked about Junhee bank's future the last time they met, Mrs. Choi Sunhwa came up with this idea to endorse his son as Sungho's successor. Mr. Monghee also realized the possibility of completely owning one of their subsidiary in the future through his son.

Choi Monhee and Choi Sungho's family are the closest relatives among Choi clan. They are also the major shareholders within financial and investments corporations established by other relatives. The propose idea of CEO Monghee and his wife was settled quickly as Mrs. Hasun accepted their request. She was confident and completely trusting her Minho's managerial capability. She better take care of her sick husband than to make risky decisions for the company.

Minho was then busy analyzing the global firm's past sales records when he received a call from China. It was his father who was commanding him to leave his job promptly, the purpose is to take over his sick uncle's position for the mean time. Minho had promised to return to SK on the next year, yet this urgent call urged him to submit a sudden resignation letter to his current employer. It was reasonable statement which was later granted by the supervisory board. After Minho's resignation from JP Morgan Chase, Choi Sungho's company released an official statement in their message board to avoid unfavorable form of hiatus.

Junhee Savings Bank has announced that Chairman and Owner Choi Sungho has been taking sick leave to receive medical treatment for an undisclosed illness and the appointment of Choi Minho, CEO heir and one of stockholder of parent company Choi Financial Group, as his temporary successor effective on Wednesday.

To be continued...