Favor

Make it Real

Juniel understood now why Sulli was so insecure of her. The fact that Sulli's parents were neglecting her at times due to their hectic schedule is very opposite of her case. Eventhough Juniel is only adopted, her parents did not miss their duties, enough to make her contented in life. Sulli has numerous friends and wooers, but she still feels lacking from parental closeness. Out of compassion, Juniel wanted to give her some present. In this way, she will win her favor and they will become friends hopefully. Juniel planned to make a sweet lemon cake for her sister-in-law as a peace offering.

With the help of her personal maid, Juniel collected all the ingredients from the kitchen storage and measured them accordingly. The girl preheated the oven first then gathered all dry ingredients. She whisked them carefully in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, she blended the liquid ingredients separately with the use of electric mixer. Bohyun is good at any chores well except with baking. The house has their resident chef so she just leave the job on her. It amazed her to see the young girl bakes like a pro. She watched her combining all the ingredients with such easiness.

"Where did you learned that skill Mam?"

"Baking?"

"Yes."

"I always imitate chefs on TV after watching them. The first time I see it, I already know how to do." She smiled while dividing the batter into pan. Culinary is running through her vein, Juniel inherited this skill from her grandmother who is still having her small restaurant.

After that, the girl put the round pan inside the oven while moving onto icing.

'That's a gift. Not everyone knows how to bake."

"Yes. But this is the only thing that I know aside from cooking." She humbly replied.

"It's still talent Mam."

"You know Unnie, I'm dreaming of putting a cafe in the future."

"Well, you can do it. You have your husband who could guide you in managing."

She chuckled at the idea. "Right. I'll tell this to him if he's no longer busy."

"Minho is so lucky to have you. You can serve him with healthy appetite anyday."

Juniel blushed. The girl blooms everytime they were talking about her husband.

"Yes he is."

When the cake was done. They covered it with white frosting around, and put some candied lemon slices on top of it.

"Wow it's looks great! Sulli will like it."

"Really?" The girl asked excitedly.

"Yes. Just by looking at it, it taste delicious." Bohyun refused to taste the cake so the design will not be ruined. They put it on a scalloped edge stand and Juniel herself delivered it to her sister-in-law. The girl knocked on the room, confident on what she did. She knew Sulli will only appreciate her gift.

The older girl was too busy studying for her exam that she could barely hear the sound of the knock. Juniel decided to enter as the knob was unlocked.

The girl appeared again with something on her hand. "Why you always disturbing me?" Sulli with her usual sharp-snappy way.

"I'm sorry Unnie. I just bring something for you." And then she put the round lemon cake on the table in front of her. It looks simply elegant but Sulli is not fond of eating sweets especially she was on diet. "I baked a cake for you. Eat it, it taste good."

"I don't like that. I don't eat cakes." Sulli declined and was visibly ungrateful to Juniel's effort. 

"Just give it a try Unnie."

"I said I don't like! Are you deaf or what?!" She raised her voice.

"Okay but I'll just leave this here in case you still wanna eat it." The younger girl told her and bowed politely. Her action irritated Sulli further so she grabbed the thing and threw it on the floor. Juniel saw that and was totally miffed by her sister-in-law's reaction.

"I did not ask you to give me that crap. You know the only think I'm wanting you to do is go away! You're not welcome here so don't force yourself in me."

Sulli's bluntness had her bursting, Juniel glared back with agitated eyes then suddenly moved toward her and hit her shoulder.

"Ouch!"  The hit was unexpected from the defenseless girl. It was a surprise as Juniel showed her anger for the first time. She never fight back but Sulli is already too much.

Instantly, Sulli pulled Juniel's long hair after that, striking her back with more strength. She held her down, pinning her on the floor. "You wanna fight with me!" She yelled at her while beating her constantly, Juniel could not retaliate as the older girl outpowered her.

"Stop Unnie...Stop..." She begged for her mercy.

Sulli slapped her cousin again and again, exploding in rage. This time she was too mad that she would not mind if she killed her there. This was her reward from Sulli, physical force. The young girl's upper tooth cracked, while beatings left her pale skin with patches of fresh red marks. 

Bohyun heard the loud brawling sound which made her nervous. Impulsively, she ran towards the library room and found Sulli on top of Juniel there. She went in between to pull them apart. Sulli fixed her tousled hair and shouted at Juniel "Leave us you bastard!" She strode out the room and banged the door.

"Juniel!" Bohyun rescued her "My God." She reached the poor girl and hugged her. The girl was shaking from fear, it was painful that she could not utter any word. The maid called some boy helper to carry Juniel towards her bedroom. There she was given a quick first aid treatment. After that, Bohyun called Mrs. Sunhwa to report what had happened.

The mother-in-law was attending some party when she received a call. To her panic, she immediately went straight to the home to check Juniel. "Juniel are you okay? I will send you to hospital now." The girl nodded silently, muted from physical suffering she endures.

After she received medication at the hospital, Mrs. Sunhwa talked with Juniel. "Don't tell this to my son or your mother. I'm sure they'll get mad with Sulli." She begged her.

It is not in her personality to complain, yet Juniel dislikes how her mother-in-law wanted to cover up Sulli's fault. "Ma, I want to go home now." She told her, she looks done at the way they were treating her.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll tell your decision to your mother."

Juniel spent the whole night inside hospital with only Bohyun guarding her. Her bruises were throbbing as well as her emotion. When she was about to sleep her cellphone rang. Bohyun answered it and reached the phone to Juniel. "Mam, It's your husband."

"Really? Minho Oppa." Juniel immediately rose up to answer it. "Oppa."

"Hello Juniel how are you?" Minho asked her with his usual deep voice. After what he heard from Mrs. Rang earlier, he somehow wanted to check his wife that night.

Juniel partly closed , hiding her deep sorrow. The moment she heard his voice, she wanted to tell everything but she could not do that. Thinking it will only create problem since Minho's mother asked her to be quiet. She rather keep that as secret.

"I'm good Oppa. How about you?"

"I'm good too. I'm sorry If I can't call at times. I'm just having so many works here. Forgive me."

"It's alright." Juniel accidentally sniffed after saying that.

"What's the problem? Are you crying?" Minho sensed something wrong.

"No. I have cold since yesterday." She lied.

"I see. You better take some medicines now."

"Yes. I'm doing it now thanks Oppa... Ahh Oppa you know I passed my make up exams." Without her tutor, amazingly Juniel passed all her subjects with much determination. She studied very well as her husband inspired her to do so.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Nice. I'm so happy for you."

Juniel smiled at his replied.

"Okay. It's already past night. Go sleep now."

"I will, you too."

"Yes. Bye."

"Bye... Ahh Oppa, I..." She paused.

"Yes?"

Saying I love you might ruin the mood again so she changed it "I mean take care."

"Okay. Same to you." His respond made her glad suddenly. Juniel laid down on the bed, seemingly all her pain disappeared. She may look crazy but that was her feeling after her husband called her for the first time since he went abroad.

"Why are you lying?" Bohyun asked her out of concern.

"Minho Oppa is tired already."

"But you have right to tell the truth. Sulli needs to be scold from what she did to you."

"Ma asked me not to tell about it. Sulli-unnie will be in trouble once they found it." Juniel confessed.

Bohun shook her head, Juniel was easily convinced.

It was Minho's first time hearing his wife's voice over the phone and it was too soft. Juniel might not be the girl he is longing to but she is too delicate. With this absence, he hoped to see whether he can keep hanging on or will depart from this marriage this early. However, there was something holding him down there which he cannot tell what exactly it is...

To be continued...