XXIII

Im in Love with a Criminal

Chanyeol lays down in Kyungsoo's bed rubbing his stomach. From this moment his life is going to change, starting from the point that his grandma would probably kick him out. Then his stomach is going to get big, and all the people in school are going to talk about him. He doesnt know if he'll be strong enough to handle so much criticism.

"hey, are you okay?" Kyungsoo opens the main door, he enters with a big brown bag. Chanyeol smells food. "yeah" "here, i bought some vitamins" Kyungsoo throws them to Chanyeol, who catches them. "you should take care of yourself" Chanyeol sits down in the bed, and reads the instruction. But Kyungsoo can see his trouble face. "whats the matter?" Chanyeol sighs, trying to push back his tears. "i dont know how my grandma is going to react"

"she has to get this through her mind, its not like your going to have an abortion" Kyungsoo says as he puts things away in his small kitchen. "what if she tries take my baby away?" Kyungsoo leaves the food there, and runs to Chanyeol's arms. "over my dead body, you understand Chanyeol!" Chanyeol nods, and finds his head in Kyungsoo's shoulder.

He feels safe, but even though he does, he wants Kris to be in his arms. To be the one to tell him 'its going to be okay'. "Kyungsoo" "yeah?" Chanyeol lingers with his thoughts in his mouth. His heart beats faster than usual, but he knows he has to tell Kyungsoo. "we should look for Luhan" "Luhan? Kris told you about him?" Chanyeol nods. He stands up and goes to his bagpack, he looks around knowing an old picture is somewhere inside.

"who better to look for Kris, than his brother" Chanyeol finds the picture, he tries to straight it up before he gives it to Kyungsoo. "Chanyeol, it might take longer to look for Luhan, than for Kris. And their not in a relationship in where they'll be happy to see each other" "i know, but who else would be better to look for Kris?" Kyungsoo uses his index fingers to point at himself.

He was twice as good as Kris, and all of his friends. But he has a feeling that Chanyeol didnt want to lose him either, feeling already sad for not having Kris with him. "look, lets talk about it later. We need to get dress to go to school" there was a grunt coming from Chanyeol, making Kyungsoo laugh. He goes back to his small kitchen to continue to put the food away.

Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo with scared eyes, Kyungsoo stops moving afraid of Chanyeol's expression. "whats the matter?" Kyungsoo murmurs, "im going to puke" "you what?" Chanyeol runs to the restroom, as Kyungsoo follows throwing napkins infront of Chanyeol, so he wouldnt puke on the floor.

 

Kris sits down in a wooden table, as he eats his food. It wasnt the best, and he didnt have the strength to eat. "can i sit with you?" Kris raises his head, and it was his second lieutenant, Kim Jongdae. "yes" Jongdae has a smile on his face as he puts his plate on the table. He looks around, and smiles to all the other soldiers that are passing by. Kris knows why his doing it. To not show how worry he is, but his eyes tell the story.

"you know we are moving today?" Kris nods, he takes a sip of the soup. "how far do you think we are?" "by how the bombs and gun shots echo around, maybe two miles?" Jongdae claps, twice. "i knew you were good, since the moment i saw your file. No one leaves that amount of blank spaces" Kris looks down, not wanting to cause a special attention to him. "you know, you can write a letter before you go. The soldier that takes the letters is here,"

"by the look in your face it seems you really miss that person" Jongdae's tone of voice changes to a mature one. The smile erases, and now his acting like a second lieutenant thats about to go to a war zone. "may i ask you something?" Kris says formally, "yes sure" "do you also have someone?" Jongdae chuckles, he cleans his mouth with a napkin thats in half.

But he only did that so he could do something with his hands. With Kris seen that, he knows Jongdae does have someone. "yes, she's waiting for me. I been a soldier for three years, and now that choose to get marry they tell me its my time to serve my country" "what did you write on the letter?" Jongdae raises his eyebrow. Kris points to the letter than sticking out of the jacket.

Jongdae adjust the letter, as he cleans his throat alittle. "i told her not to worry, that it would be okay" "you dont know how to lie" Kris comments, Jongdae looks at him not liking in the tone Kris said it. "you have your letter inside your jacket, your regretting what you wrote." Jongdae scoffs, "even if you do plan to send it, it would be send with your dead body, thats why you havent put it in the mail"

"hey! cadet, respect your officer" Jongdae stands up hitting the table with his hands, Kris looks at him realizing that he did cross the line. He looks down, not knowing how to apologize. "Second Lieutenant, can i have a word with you?" Minseok looks at Jongdae and Kris, he wasnt here for the beginning just the ending. He knows he has to calm Jongdae down, before the other new soldiers freak out.

"Jongdae?" Jongdae makes his hands into a fist, Minseok puts a hand in Jongdae's forearm calming him down. "come, lets talk" they both leave the small cafeteria, but eyes are still on them. Kris feels like . He decides to leave too, and start with his letter.

 

It was between classes when Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol see Baekhyun and Sehun coming their way. Chanyeol stops Kyungsoo, so they could have a talk with Baekhyun. "Baekhyun? i thought you left too" Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol with angry eyes, so Sehun answers for him. "we are, we just came to grab somethings" "Kyungsoo, i recommend for you to leave too"

Chanyeol looks at Kyungsoo afraid, "what? why? he wasnt fighting" "fighting? is that the excuse they choice to give you?" Baekhyun says mocking Chanyeol, "excuse?" "Chanyeol, the people im running from want to build another academy, so we can take the goverment down" Sehun explains, Chanyeol puts his hand in his temple, "what?!" "their looking for all the old students, to make us work for him. His not just a rich-wanna-be-bad, this man is dangerous." Sehun continues.

"what? you thought because we are killers we dont have pride?" Baekhyun raises his voice, which only made Kyungsoo and Sehun to hit him. "thats not what----" Kyungsoo stops Chanyeol from saying more, it didnt matter Baekhyun didnt like him. "we are hiding for awhile, we advice you to do the same Kyungsoo" Sehun puts and arm around Baekhyun, to make him move and leave Chanyeol alone.

Chanyeol turns around watching them leave, "Kyungsoo, do you think that person has Kris?" Kyungsoo looks at Chanyeol, it was a good question. And the more he lingers, it only makes Chanyeol be more sure that he was right. "no, no not at all" "Kyungsoo, are you leaving too?"

"no Chanyeol"

 

Kris sits down on the floor, which suspects his going to get his uniform dirty. He has three white pages, and a small pencil with no eraser. Kris wonders if he should lie in the letter, or tell the true. Lie sounds something Chanyeol would like to hear, like 'Chanyeol im doing okay, im serving my country, i'll be home in no time'. That lie even sounds good to Kris.

But he wonders, 'what if this is my last letter to him?' And the last words he said to Chanyeol, are lies. Instead of how afraid he is to lose Chanyeol, and how he cant sleep at night because the sound of bombs and gun shots haunted him. How he wishes he'll done things so differently, because Chanyeol was good for him and right. Either way he starts with;

Dear Chanyeol, 

I dont know how much i can trust that this letter would get to you on time. Or if you would even get it, but im going to pretend that it will because that would be my last wish. I should start by saying, that im okay. Dont worry about me, im here serving my country. I think your grandma had something to do with this, but if i leave it would be treason.

You know i can take care of myself, and im sorry for breaking our promise. Because i will fight just to get to you, that i would promise. I do wish you could could make me another promise though, and that would be for you take care of yourself. Dont get angry at people for calling you little, dont fall asleep in class even when i know you hate math.

Stay with Kyungsoo, i trust him to take care of you. Dont use your hands as pillows, and dont stay up late studying. Smile all the time, even if your not thinking of me. Save my side of the bed for me, and please dont fall in love with anyone. If this letter does get to you, send me a picture. Because im afraid i might forget the way your smile shines under the sun.

Or the way your sleepy eyes look at me, or afraid i might forget your dark black hair. I love you Chanyeol. I love you today, and the same as yesterday, and the day after that, and the day after that. I will come back for you.

Sincerely yours,
Wu Yifan.

Kris puts the letter inside the envelop, and gives it a kiss in silent before he puts it inside the mail box. He hopes Chanyeol would check the mail from the apartment he bought for them. "company fall in" Minseok yells, and all the soldiers make four lines with ten soldiers in each one. Kris takes the one in the back, when he sees Jongdae coming.

"its time to go to the war zone, let god be with us" Minseok turns to his right, and makes a sign for Jongdae to say a command. "company, right face" all turn right, and begin to march with the same rhythm. Guns vibrate at every step, hearts pray to god to come back home. Out of all the soldiers, Kris was the only one that had blood in his hands.

Which Kris hopes it would bring advantage to him. As they march, their surrounding by silence. Apart from seen acouple of trees, there was farm corps who are about Jongdae's height. 

 

Kris continues to count, and their not far from the war zone. Everything its to quiet and that makes Kris nervous, they enter the war zone and there was no sound of gun shots. Lims vibrate with tiredness, and nervousness run in their body. "company, rest" the company stops at the same time, they take a breathe as they sit down in the floor.

Jongdae and Minseok whisper to each other in secret, "we are in the war zone, was it it quiet?" "i dont know, Jeon told me they need it help, we should've seen his company around here" Jongdae says, angry. "we need to continue, they should be here somewhere" Minseok puts his hand in Jongdae's shoulder, Jongdae nods, "okay, lets continue"

"bomb! everyone down!!" one of the soldiers yell, everyone throw themselves to the ground. The smoke, and the screams of some soldiers makes it hard for Kris to pay attention. The gun shoots begin, Kris shoots three people out of ten. "come, get up!" he says to one of the soldiers, When the soldier was about to get out they shoot him in the leg.

The soldier screams in pain, and Kris nows he couldnt take him. He wouldnt make it a mile. "everyone run to the corps!" for the people who listen, they get inside the farm corps. Kris get lost as he cant see anything, and all the soldiers who listen to him he couldnt see them anywhere. He decides to continue to run, and maybe he'll find them.

As he runs, he sees a field. He smiles, because finally he'll be able to see something. When he gives a step forward, he hears a branch breaking. Someone was following him. Kris puts his gun towards him, getting ready to turn around and shoot the bastard. He continues to walk, slowly this time because he knows the person following would also slow down.

When he gets out of the corps, and the field play around his legs. He turns around pointing the gun of the person who is following him. The other person does the same, and Kris finally sees him. He couldnt believe his eyes. Neither of them put their guns down, and neither of them cant believe their looking at each other. The other person's uniform is torn, and it was dirty with blood and dirt.

Jongdae was right, the company that was here before them did need help. 

"Luhan?"