Chapter 4: Suspect

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I grabbed my phone and found his contact. I got more impatient as the rings continued. “He’s not picking up.” I tried again and again, the rings dragged on until I heard his voicemail.

“Na Ri, calm down.” Him Chan stood up and tried to pacify me. I shoved his hands away. I was going to keep calling until he picked up his goddamn phone. I looked back at the TV screen, Bang’s picture popped up and the screen switched once again. Lights flashing from cameras went off as the police car opened. My phone fell to my side when I saw who walked out. Bang with his hands cuffed in front of him, was being led into the station.

“Yong Guk ssi, did you do it?”

“Are you the one responsible?”

Questions were being thrown from every direction. Bang had his usual stoic face on, refusing to answer any questions.

“Daehyun, call Jong Up.” Youngjae tapped Daehyun, who went into his pocket for his phone and dialed the number.

“Ya Jong Up, take Chin Ho out of school.” His eyes for still on the TV screen. “Take him straight home.”

Was this the bad feeling I had been getting? “Yong Guk didn’t do this right?” I mindlessly asked. Because he promised. He promised me that he wouldn’t ever go back to that life. And if he broke it, I will be livid.

Him Chan breathed a sigh of relief. I was sure that he thought I would go crazy over this. “Na Ri, he didn’t.”

Youngjae sighs. “Look at it, the message was written wrong –“

Daehyun looked over at me. “ – the guy died –“

“ – And hyung isn’t a killer.” Jun Hong finished up the sentence.

“So any way you look at it, this wasn’t Yong Guk. It was all set up.” Him Chan concluded.

I placed my hand on the sofa and let myself lean against it.

“Take a seat, why are you freaking out?” Daehyun tugged me down next to him. “Look at you, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.” He joked. And for the first time ever, I was glad that Daehyun didn’t stop talking. I was calming down all thanks to him.

“Don’t think too much about it, it’s just a copycat.” Him Chan patted my leg. “They’ll let Yong Guk out soon.”

I only nodded. We were still watching the reports when the door opened. “Noona! What’s going on?”

“You stop freaking out too.” Daehyun scolded Chin Ho. “Nothing is going on.”

Chin Ho walks over and finds a seat on the couch. If this was really a set up like Him Chan said, shouldn’t we be worried? Someone was targeting us, Bang to be more exact. And everyone is acting calm about this. Too calm. “What are you guys hiding from me?”

“Why do you always think we’re hiding something?” Disbelief coating Daehyun’s words.

“This wouldn’t be the first time if you guys were.” In fact, it has been too quiet around this place. “I won’t be mad if you guys tell me now.” They know exactly how upset I get when I’m kept in the dark and yet they keep doing it. I trust Bang but the storm seems to be gaining and I don’t think we’re capable of handling it. “How bad is it?”

“Na Ri, why are you so paranoid?” Him Chan was the first to speak but it didn’t convince me.

“You told me yourselves that this whole thing was a set up and look at who was brought into interrogation.” The public won’t let this go easily, Bang has history. “Don’t tell me it’s nothing.”

“Stop being stubborn. Why are you so insistent on this being bigger than what it is?” Now Daehyun’s yapping is starting to get on my nerves. I hate the feeling of being brushed aside.

“You’re not protecting me by keeping me ignorant.” That was their usual bull and I wasn’t settling for it. I get up and head towards my room. If I sat there a minute longer I don’t think I would be able to keep my cool. They’re hiding something from me, I had decided to not pursue it before because I trusted Bang but now I really feel like something is going to happen. With that kid, Lim Min Guk showing up at the hospital and now this, I am already convinced that someone was going to get hurt. I flopped on the bed and the phone goes off. Thinking it was somehow Bang, I scrambled for it. “Hello?”

“Na Ri? It’s Dr. Yoon.” The cheerful came over and my shoulders slumped.

“Yes, is there something wrong?”

“Are you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter