Chapter 31: Meeting

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Chin Ho, you seem bored.” I walked out into the living room to see my younger brother staring lifelessly at the TV.

He only sighs in response. “I thought I would never say this…but I really miss school.”

I smiled at his words before taking a seat beside him on the couch. “Those words never cease to make me proud.” But unfortunately because of our situation, he has taken a leave of absence from school. My smile falters at the thought. “I’m sorry, Chin Ho.” I rubbed his head.

“It’s fine, noona.” Chin Ho was quick to reassure me. “I rather keep my life.” He jokes back. “How are you?”

“I’m doing fine.” 

At my answer, he frowns. I guess no one believes me around here. “Do you want to talk about it?” 

That was the first time someone had asked me to talk about what I went through. But, I’m sure it was just them being careful as to not make me remember the traumatizing event. I hesitate on giving Chin Ho an answer and end up giving a small shake. “No.”

“Noona.” He turns to face me on the couch. “You used to make me talk about everything.” Chin Ho begins to argue. “So, why can’t I do the same?” 

I thought for a moment. Where do I begin? I wasn’t sure if I wanted to share such information with Chin Ho. “I think I lost myself.” 

Chin Ho grows silent at my confession.

“I never realized how helpless I was until I was with Gi Bum.” I never thought I was invincible before but I was strong. There was nothing before that seemed to stop me but after meeting Gi Bum, I couldn’t seem to shake off the feeling. 

“But you’re not helpless, noona.” Chin Ho disagrees. “Look at where you are. You’re with us now.”

“We won. Didn’t we?” 

Chin Ho nods with a bright smile.

But, there was something I forgot. Gi Bum was free. It wasn’t over yet.

***

After dinner, I returned to my room while the others went off and carried out their errands. Errands that they refused to let me in on so I’m assuming it was Yong Guk who assigned them. 

Yet, they still left Daehyun behind. He was unhappy about it and didn’t try to hide it from anyone either. As we speak, he is still grumpily going on about it to Chin Ho in the living room. 

I crawled into bed and breathed out at the comfort. I raised my arms to take a look at them and the fading marks brought another sigh of relief. My eyes trailed up and the ring on my finger grabbed my attention. And at the sight, I thought of Yong Guk. 

He gave me the ring and there is no wonder about what it meant but I wanted to hear the words. 

Suddenly, I turned to look at the door when some mumblings in the hallway stole my attention. I sat up in bed to try to listen to it but I couldn’t make out the words. I jumped as the bedroom door was pulled open roughly and a man I have never seen before enters.

“Hey, I said not to bother her.” Daehyun grabbed the stranger’s collar as Chin Ho tumbled into the room after them. 

“Chin Ho, go into your room.” I gently ordered clutched the sheets under my hand as Chin Ho refused.

“Na Ri?” The man didn’t faze as Daehyun held him there and spoke casually. “Someone would like to meet you.”

“I don’t want to meet that someone.” I quickly answered back. Unlike yesterday, I was doing much better. 

“Do you not understand me?” Daehyun asked him through gritted teeth. “She’s not going anywhere.”

“I strongly suggest you come with me.” The unknown man only continues, not showing he was bothered by Daehyun’s actions in the slightest. He wasn’t afraid, like he knew Daehyun wouldn’t do anything to him.

“Hey!” Daehyun spins him around and pins him against the wall beside the doorway. Chin Ho stood on the side and watched everything happening. 

“I’m staying here.” I emphasized from my spot. “Tell whoever it is that I refuse.”

“I didn’t give you an option.” The man continued on calmly. “And, they know they can’t stop me from taking you either.” He looked back straight into Daehyun’s hateful gaze. “So, stop making it hard on both of us.”

“Does Yong Guk know?” Daehyun asks. If Yong Guk did, I don’t think he would have allowed the man to step foot inside. 

“Well, if Bang Yong Guk continues to delay this meeting, Mr. Suk Yang will grow impatient and nothing good will come out of it.” So in other words, Yong Guk didn’t know and they were using this time where he is absent to get to me. “So, unless you want something to happen to Bang Yong Guk, you need to come with me.”

At the sound of the threat, my body subtly jolted. Maybe this is my chance to understand what is going on and to finally find out the identity of this man that Yong Guk was involved with. As the thought crossed my mind, naturally the fear also grew within me. If I go with him, I would be willingly making myself vulnerable and after this whole Gi Bum’s situation, I wasn’t sure if I was ready to be put in such dangerous circumstances. 

“This meeting was inevitable since the beginning.” The unknown man’s unchanging calm tone, states.

“Get out –“

“I’ll go.” I cut Daehyun off and he flips his head over in my direction.

“Are you out of your mind?” Daehyun blurts out.

I obviously was. “Maybe.” I looked back at the man. “I’ll go but I want Daehyun to come with me.” I wasn’t going to readily hand myself over without some protection.

“Fine.” The man answers as he fixes his shirt. 

I knew I was out of my mind but I wanted to figure this whole thing out and here was my chance. “Well then, go get ready Daehyun.” I slip out of bed and walk over beside him. 

***

“If Yong Guk finds out, you’re going to be in big trouble.” Daehyun mumbles as we walked through the unknown building. I couldn’t help but feel I just allowed myself to enter a similar situation like when I had to deal with Gi Bum. 

“Well, I’ll deal with it when the time comes.” I simply respond because at this point, there was no longer a choice to turn back. 

We followed the stranger down the hallway before stopping before a room. He reached up and rapped the wood with his knuckles lightly before opening the door and leading us in. 

The older man behind the desk looks up.

“Is this…” He begins with confusion.

“This is Miss Na Ri.” The stranger confirmed for him and I watched a smile spread onto the older man’s lips.

“I finally get to meet you, Miss Na Ri.” He answers contently and motions at the chairs in front of his desk. “My name is Kim Suk Yang.”

“No thank you, I’ll stand.” I tried not to show him I was shaking and immediately my hands into the pockets of my jacket.

“I see you brought one of Yong Guk’s men.” Suk Yang continued, amicably. 

“Of course. Would I be stupid enough to just come here by myself?” I didn’t hold back while looking at the man before me. Now, I could finally put a face to the man that Yong Guk has been involved with.

“Something tells me you’re not happy with me.” He seemed amused at my behavior and it only made me more apprehensive about meeting him. He acted like he had the upper hand – and he probably did.

“Why would I be happy about someone who made Yong Guk leave me behind with Gi Bum?” The more I spoke to him, the angrier I got. “So you tell me if I should be happy or not.”

He nodded his head. “I understand.” The more

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter