Chapter 29: Proposal

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I thought you had disappeared.” Yong Guk casually states as he looks at the man before him. He couldn’t help looking around and noticing what a nice place to have this secret meeting. The same dark alleyway they had met before to discuss the ambush on Gi Bum’s place. 

Jae Ho stuck his hands in the pockets of his jacket. “This will be the last time you see me.”

Yong Guk nodded. “Good decision.” This was the life they held. If they stayed around too long in vulnerability, there will always be a possibility of danger and Jae Ho made a good decision to leave and never look back.

Silence rang between them and through the dark quiet night, all they heard was the sound of fresh rainwater dripping from the roofs of the tall buildings. 

“I’m glad I got to make up for what I did in the past.” Jae Ho begins again. “Even if it’s only a little.” He sighs. There really isn’t anything he can do to take back his past…if he could, he would without a second thought.

Yong Guk stayed silent before finding his words. “Thank you.” Yong Guk didn’t show his gratitude often – it wasn’t in his nature to thank people. “For keeping Na Ri safe until I got there.”

A small smile made its way upon Jae Ho’s lips. “I was only returning a favor.” Jae Ho would never forget that moment when Na Ri tried to protect him from that bullet. She didn’t know him. But when she did, she didn’t move from her spot. And, that left the biggest impression on him. “Please continue to keep her safe.”

Yong Guk looked up to meet Jae Ho’s eyes. “That was always the plan.”

***

After saying goodbye to an unexpected ally, Yong Guk headed back to work. He pulled his black cap down to cover the upper part of his face as he walked down the dark streets. 

There was a place he needed to visit.

Yong Guk nodded at the familiar bouncer before walking through the building. It’s been a while but how could he have forgotten the loud music and the smell of second hand cigarette smoke? 

“You look even more suspicious than I remembered.” 

Yong Guk stopped in his steps. Even over the loud music, he could still recognize the familiar voice.

“Heard the pretty lady is back with you.” The voice continued before Yong Guk looked over at the counter. The man he was looking for stood leaning against it.

“Sae Ryun, don’t talk about her like that.” Yong Guk’s voice held no seriousness and a small smile formed on his lips. He makes his way over as Sae Ryun motions for him to take a seat.

“So, what do you need now?”

There was one thing he liked about Sae Ryun besides his surprisingly tight lips – he always went straight to the point. “Need my saved again.”

Sae Ryun sighed. “I knew this was going to happen.”

“Suk Yang doesn’t intend to let me go.” It wasn’t that Yong Guk was surprised, if anything, he expected this. But, whenever he thought of Na Ri, anxiety and panic would creep up on him. Everything felt like a threat and he didn’t want to keep feeling like he was going to lose her. 

“It’s always one thing after another with you.” Sae Ryun sighs. There was never a day Yong Guk could stay out of trouble. How mistaken he was to think that it would all end with Gi Bum – speaking of which. “Gi Bum is gone for good?”

“Jung Woo is personally taking care of it. Gi Bum’s trial is coming up.” It should be at the end of this week. Prosecutor Han made sure to say that Gi Bum was going away for a long time. 

“His son?” Sae Ryun knew better than to leave loose ends.

“I’m already looking for him.” Not once did Yong Guk forget about the boy. “I don’t know if he still wants to hurt her but I’m not taking any chances.”

Sae Ryun nodded his head. “And the pretty lady?”

“She’s holding up.” Yong Guk knew how strong Na Ri was and he has no doubt in his mind that she will move on from this just like how she did after the whole situation with Kang Dae. 

“Seems you’re taking care of things.” Sae Ryun comments as he looked out to the floor. “Well everything but the situation with Suk Yang.” 

“I’ve got a plan for that too.”

Sae Ryun looked up in surprise before a small smile makes it’s way across his features. “I spoke too soon.” He should have known Yong Guk had thought ahead. The man always made sure to stay two steps ahead in the game. “So, what is it?”

“We’re going to kidnap his daughter.” 

***

Yong Guk slipped quietly into the home and into his bedroom. Already knowing Na Ri was fast asleep, he made sure to stay as silent as possible. Even after she had gotten back, he hadn’t been able to spend any time with her. 

And, that’s all he wanted.

He wanted to wake up beside her and see her in the morning. Just like what they used to do or they didn’t even need to do anything. He just wanted to stay in her presence.

He was sure. After this whole thing with Suk Yang, they can return to how they used to be. 

Yong Guk intends to give Na Ri the life she wanted. And if he had to, Yong Guk intends to leave everything behind to start anew in a place that no one knows them. He was willing to go to the ends of the earth to make her happy.

Yong Guk quietly slipped into bed with something small clutched in his hand and gently lied down next to the Na Ri’s sleeping figure, making sure not to wake her as he looked down at her in the dark. He reached out to skim the back of his hand across her cheek. 

He just needed to take a moment to admire the fact that she was lying here next to him. He hadn’t been able to tell h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter