Chapter 30: Fear

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No, Daehyun. That can’t be right.” The mixed feelings of anger and fear rushed throughout my body at the sudden news. “I watched them take him away!” How could they have been so careless to allow the man out into the public? “He was supposed to go to trial!” I thought it was over.

Daehyun couldn’t say anything as I lashed out at the situation. 

Everything seemed to spin out of control when all I could think of is Gi Bum coming for me or what if he comes after the boys…what about Chin Ho? Who was he going to hurt this time? I was too lost in my rampaging thoughts that I didn’t even hear the sound of the front door opening and closing. 

“Na Ri, just – just wait for me.” Daehyun disappeared quickly while I collapsed onto the edge of the bed. It wasn’t long before Daehyun returned to the bedroom with Him Chan right behind him. The two froze at the doorway at the sight of me. 

“What are we supposed to do now?” The words softly left my lips while I looked up at them. I didn’t feel confident, in fact, this fear of being vulnerable rose and it was simply troubling.

“Does Yong Guk know?” Him Chan spoke towards Daehyun. 

“I’ll go call him now.” Daehyun disappears from the room and Him Chan heads over to the bed to take a seat beside me. 

For minutes, there was just silence between the two of us. I was too consumed with my thoughts and I was sure Him Chan was trying to figure out what to say to me at the same time.

“I miss the old Na Ri.” Him Chan was the first to speak, as I stayed silent beside him. “You know, the one that didn’t get so scared easily.”

Scared?

I have become fearful and scared recently, haven’t I?

My hands were clasped together as I continuously twisted my fingers over and over again. Did Him Chan think I was happy with how I have become? It was like I’ve only come to the conclusion now that anything can hurt me. 

“I shouldn’t tell you this but Yong Guk blames himself a lot.” Him Chan continues. “He saw how you changed and he knows it’s because he took too long or because he left you there.” 

When Kang Dae held me hostage, it was a few days at most. When Gi Bum took me, it was months. I went through physical torture with Kang Dae but with Gi Bum, it was so much more than that. 

Every night I heard cries and what the men were doing to the young women there. And, all I could do was lay there in that bed thinking how useless I was. No matter how much resistance I shown to Gi Bum, it didn’t faze him. It didn’t stop him from carrying out his business. It had no effect on him or the lives of the girls there. Gi Bum tried to drill thoughts into my mind each day. He made sure I knew how weak I was and he showed me that no matter how much I fought, he was still the person that decides what happens to me. 

And then when he was arrested, I thought the story with Gi Bum ended there. But now, he’s out there probably planning out his next move. What kind of damage was he going to bring with him?

“Did you lose faith in us? How about Yong Guk? Do you not believe in him anymore?”

At his question, I turned to look at him. 

Him Chan’s gaze moved from my face down to my hands. “You have Yong Guk’s promise on your finger.” He looked up at me once more. “We’ll take care of everything.”

That’s right. When Bang gave me this ring, he also made a silent promise. He promised that there was so much more planned for our future selves. Even if he hadn’t had a chance to say it to me, that’s what I believe.

“So, don’t doubt us anymore. Okay?” 

I looked up to see Him Chan smiling down at me and automatically I nodded my head.

“Well, you’ve never let me down before.” Now, all I have to do is believe it. Believe that even though we are surrounded by darkness, we’ll make it through.

Him Chan smiled faintly at my words. “There’s a little bit of the Na Ri I know.” 

***

Just moments after only returning home, Him Chan was alerted by Yong Guk that he was waiting outside. Him Chan sighed to himself before making his way out the door and into the awaiting car.

“How is she?” 

“She’s fine now.” Him Chan offers an answer. “A little shaken up by the news but I think I got her to calm down.” A part of Him Chan wishes that it was Yong Guk offering comfort to Na Ri instead of him but he knew Yong Guk’s head had been consumed with other matters.

There was silence in the car when Him Chan knew he needed to say what was on his mind because everyone else was thinking it. 

“Yong Guk, Na Ri can’t stay here.”

“She’s not going anywhere.” Yong Guk was quick to answer. He wasn’t going to be separated from her any longer. She was safest beside him, regardless of what everyone else says or thinks.

Yong Guk’s answer only agitated Him Chan more. “Gi Bum is on the loose and Suk Yang knows this location. You can’t protect her when the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter