Chapter 21: Reminder

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s all done. 

Minutes felt like hours as I was beaten, relentlessly. Gi Bum didn’t even stop once to rest or to allow my body to. 

It was only when he was panting heavily and when he felt it was enough did he finally leave the room with his men. 

I was left alone in the room - but it wasn’t like I was capable of going anywhere. It was less painful and tiring to just lay here on the cold, concrete ground. It was easier that way. 

…Well, I thought I was alone.

“Are you alive?”

I couldn’t lift my head to see but I knew it was Min Guk. His tone wasn’t one that held taunting, it just sounded blank. I moved my fingers a bit, but those small movements caused pain to shoot up my limbs, so I gave up on moving. 

“You know, you wait for Yong Guk to save you but in the end, he’s the one that made you to need saving.” 

Whether I liked it or not, he was going to keep talking. And whether I like it or not, I didn’t have the ability to get up from my spot on the ground and leave. I can only hope Jae Ho can get away when he can to come back.

I heard him get up on his feet from where he was sitting and walk over to where I was.  I closed my eyes, expecting to take away some of his own anger in the form of more punches and kicks but, my teeth in pain when all he does is grab my arms to put me in a sitting position.

I stared at him when he squat down in front of me. The red marks on his face earlier had turned to bits of blue and purple. And, I suddenly realize where he had gotten it from.

“Your father did that to you.” I didn’t bother asking when I already knew and I wasn’t sure if he even heard my words clearly, seeing that they came out in whispers to reduce the throbbing pain felt on every inch of my body. But, I couldn’t help the small chuckles that followed my words. What I noticed about Gi Bum earlier was no mistake. He had literally gone crazy with his desire to catch Yong Guk. He even went as far as to hit his own son. Though, since it was Gi Bum, I wasn’t surprised. “There’s a difference between us.”

“Why are you laughing?” He asks lowly. 

“Because I have someone out there who wants me back but you, you don’t have anyone. Your own father doesn’t even care about you.” How sad, really. I watched as his anger grow, his jaw clenching to keep the calm exterior when in fact, it seems I had hit a nerve. “Your father loves this business above all else. And you know it.”

“Shut up.”

“What is it, Min Guk, about this life?” I didn’t bother listening to him and continued my rambling. “You get a little money but why do you look so miserable every time I see you?” It was another question that I already knew the answer to but maybe I wanted to taunt him a little more. 

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Are you sure?” I peered at him. “You missed a normal life. You didn’t get to hang out with friends or have girlfriends. Instead, you’re surrounded by animals that we call people and kidnapped girls.” 

“And your life is better?” He gritted his teeth and grabbed the front of my shirt, finally releasing my arms.

“Of course it is. I have people who love me, I have a brother who cares for me, a job that I love -“

“Yet, you’re here, beaten and imprisoned.”

This is where we are different. “But, those people that love me. They’re out there, trying their best to get me back.” At my words, Min Guk doesn’t reply but just looks at me. “You’re not the first people to have taken me.” 

I flinched involuntarily when I saw him lift his hand, thinking he was going to physically make me shut up. He hesitates before cupping the one side of my face. The gentleness was what took me by surprise. But, I waited for it. For when the simple touch would turn into a violent hit. 

…And, it never does. I stared at him in bewilderment. This was like when he visited me the last time and the behavior then and now, still confuses me. I didn’t know what he was thinking or what he was planning. 

“If you’re going to hit me, just do it already.” The anticipation was worse than the actual physical act. “Then, get out of my sight.”

But, contrary to what I expected, the outcome was different. “I’m not going to hit you.”

I didn’t know where his intentions lie but I didn’t have time to question it when the door to the room, opened. I glanced up to see Jae Ho staring back at me. Min Guk takes away his hand and stands up. 

“Min Guk, your father wants you.” Jae Ho receives silence in response and watches Min Guk spin around and walks pass him out the door. He watches Min Guk’s back, making sure he was out of sight and out of ear shot before focusing his attention on me. 

“Jae Ho, I can’t move.”

He rushes over to me. “I’m sorry. Where does it hurt?”

“Everywhere.” I groaned when he helps me up onto my feet. My legs shook under me and I fall to the ground once more. “Just give me a minute.” I breathed through the pain and gather my strength. It was just so painful. Thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter