Chapter 26: Together

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This isn’t a trap.” Jae Ho spoke out into the dark night. With proper comprehension of the risk he was taking, Jae Ho did his best to reach out first. If he wanted this empire that Gi Bum was slowly building for himself to stop and to be destroyed, Jae Ho needed to be active in the prevention. 

And seeing Na Ri so beaten for the umpteenth time, Jae Ho realized he couldn’t wait any longer.

Receiving silence in response, Jae Ho held his hands in the air.

“I understand that you’re being careful but I can’t be out here for long, Gi Bum will grow suspicious.”

Soon, his attention is directed towards the figure coming out of the dark shadows. Jae Ho had decided to call Yong Guk out to one of Gi Bum’s old abandoned warehouses. 

Upon knowing that, you would think it’s a risk but Jae Ho thought it out carefully. This place was already abandoned. Gi Bum has no other reason to come back here. And knowing Gi Bum’s personality, the man would always forget the old and move onto with the new. 

“Thank you for coming, Yong Guk.” Jae Ho breaks the silence once again. 

“If you’re here to tell me about your recent actions, I’m already aware.” The last time Chinh Ho was sent in, the boy came out muttering the name of ‘Jae Ho’, the man who was supposedly taking care of Na Ri and the same man, Yong Guk had placed in prison a year before. “But, I find it hard to believe. Given our past history.”

In this type of world, placing trust was hard and gaining trust was harder. Suspicion was a daily and normal thing. So, even if Jae Ho were to try to convince Yong Guk, would the man even trust him even a little? Chances are, he wouldn’t become suspicion-free of Jae Ho.

“It is hard to believe.” Jae Ho admitted. “But, what you did was the best thing for me.” Prison did its job. It made Jae Ho reflect and day after day, he had to deal with parents coming to him – asking what in the world made him think he could steal their child from them. And the guilt ate him away bit by bit. “This is the only way I can think to make up for what I did in the past.”

“And what’s that?” Yong Guk wanted to be clear on what this meeting would eventually lead to.

“Gi Bum and his whole business torn apart.” Jae Ho replied with resolve. 

Jae Ho was afraid but the guilt he felt was so much stronger. He was willing to do anything, anything at all.

“You tell me what to do and I will.” Jae Ho continued on.

“You’re willing to give me information.” Yong Guk stated for confirmation.

“Anything.” Jae Ho doesn’t hesitate. “I will keep Na Ri and Daehyun as safe as possible but this all needs to hurry. Gi Bum doesn’t fear anything and he’s capable of everything.”

“First things first, I want you to promise me that Na Ri and Daehyun are the first people out of there.” 

Jae Ho nodded. “I’ll make sure of it.”

“Then, we’ll work together to stop Gi Bum.” Yong Guk spoke with authority. 

This request made Jae Ho pause, only because Gi Bum was the one person who pulled him out of the sad life he was leading before all of this and someone who he had so much loyalty for…but, nothing was going to change his mind.

“That won’t be an issue.” Jae Ho voluntarily offered his help.

And that was what was agreed between the two a few nights before. So what Yong Guk said just now went against all that. 

Jae Ho stood on the side, still confused between this certain agreement and what Yong Guk said just now. 

“You’re alone.” Gi Bum observes down the hallway behind Yong Guk.

“Am I?” Yong Guk questions back, his attitude nonchalant, as he felt no fear as he faces the man he should have taken down a long time ago. He has waited too long for this moment. 

“I guess not, then.” Gi Bum’s own tone was casual. “You got yourself involved with Suk Yang. He’s a nasty man.” 

Yong Guk’s eyes moved between Jae Ho and Gi Bum. “You handled that well.” Yong Guk implied how Gi Bum reacted with Jae Ho and ignored the older man’s other comment.

Gi Bum didn’t even physically show how Jae Ho’s betrayal affected him. But, walking in on a fight was enough to convince Yong Guk that with Jae Ho on his side, it was a massive blow towards Gi Bum. 

“What is losing one going to do to me?” Gi Bum brushed it off. Jae Ho had chosen wrong. He picked the wrong side to be on. “I always have more.”

“But, those men mean nothing to you, right?” Yong Guk continued to provoke Gi Bum. “They’re nothing in comparison to a once trusted friend.” 

Gi Bum trusted Jae Ho immensely and Jae Ho exploited it, really well. 

Gi Bum’s jaw twitched as he allowed each and every one of Yong Guk’s sharp words pierce his calm composure. He didn’t want them to affect him and he didn’t want to show Yong Guk that his word held any weight.

But, it was impossible. 

“But, I’m not here to talk.” Yong Guk wanted to avoid all of this unnecessary talk that was just prolonging this situation. He wanted it to end now. 

“Well, then are you here to surrender?” Gi Bum felt no intimidation whatsoever. Yong Guk was no threat. He was no competition. And Gi Bum had no qualms in crushing him. 

Because that’s what Yong Guk was.

An annoying bug that Gi Bum had generously allowed to live for too long. Like other pests, Gi Bum wanted to exterminate him quickly. 

Yong Guk only chuckled in response. He knew clearly how Gi Bum felt about him. But, Yong Guk was heavily underestimated. He was so much stronger than Gi Bum could ever fathom. Because unlike Gi Bum, he didn’t lose himself.

And he knew how Gi Bum thought of himself. He felt he was the big dog in the underworld. He was great. By himself, he moved up the ranks quickly, beating out others that were strong in the league. 

And, Yong Guk couldn’t have disagreed more. 

Gi Bum was weak.

He allowed power, money, and reputation to eat him up. He became an empty shell that could only keep seeking more and more. He will never be satisfied enough, and that is his downfall.

“You’re quite pitiful.” Yong Guk answered with amusement. 

But, those words didn’t register with Gi Bum. “I’m pitiful? Have you taken a look at yourself lately?”

Yong Guk looked different. The result of this ongoing stressful problem but this only showed how desperate he was and how desperate he wanted to get Na Ri back. So, Yong Guk ignored the meaningless comment and darted his eyes towards Jae Ho.

“Jae Ho, you’re needed elsewhere.” If Jae Ho could be of any help, it would be to get Na Ri out as quickly as possible. 

“I’m not going –“

“Now.” Yong Guk quickly cuts off Jae Ho’s opposition. “You know it also.” 

Jae Ho stood there, strugg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter