Chapter 24: Soon

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gi Bum didn’t know which was more maddening, the fact that Yong Guk showed his face so confidently or the fact that he left this place in one piece. 

He didn’t think it was possible.

Ever since the beginning, he had expected a fight against six men. Now, look at what has happened. He had been too careless, allowing such a thing to occur when it could have been prevented.
 
Yong Guk actually got support. Support from the very people that was on Yong Guk’s personal hit list. That was pure nonsense. Gi Bum couldn’t comprehend why a man like Yong Guk wasn’t finished off, why was he being supported.

And, Gi Bum came to one conclusion.

Jealousy, of course.

Jealousy that arose from witnessing Gi Bum’s power grown more and more each day. They were jealous of him. The case was as simple as that and he decided, firmly that he was going to keep growing in power and allow them to wallow in the pit that is their jealousy. 

Then, he’ll make them know not to go up against him.

Since, Yong Guk’s turn is over, it was now Gi Bum’s time to play his next move. 

Yong Guk had left and Na Ri was still here like Gi Bum predicted but it was obvious that Yong Guk wouldn’t stay away for long. He needed to figure out what the man has planned. 

Following a knock on the door, Daehyun is brought in for the second time after being removed from the basement cell since the night before.

It didn’t take long before Gi Bum got straight to the point. 

“Have you thought about it?”

Daehyun didn’t need to. “The answer is still, no.” Nothing will get him to work with this man. 

This was exactly the play Gi Bum needed, if only Daehyun didn’t do it the hard way. 

“You’re going to do what I tell you to do, and you’re going to accept it.” Gi Bum speaks clearly, trying to keep his impatience at bay. Because there really isn’t a need for him to get angry. He was already convinced that he knew how this conversation was going to end anyway.

“And, why is that?” Daehyun kept himself from scoffing. 

“Because of the girl.” Gi Bum simply replies. “I’m sure you don’t want anything happening to her.” A smug smile makes its way onto his face because he knew. He knew he had won.

Daehyun clenched his jaw, realizing all of his options were taken away. If he were to agree, he would be going against Yong Guk but if he didn’t, Na Ri was going to suffer. So, in the position that he was, Daehyun chose the choice that would lead to less damage.

Seeing the look on Daehyun’s face was enough to confirm it for Gi Bum. He didn’t even need to hear it and the smile on his face only widened. “Good, I’m glad we understand each other.”

***

I was still recovering from the news Yong Guk dropped on me yesterday. This was not how I imagined our reunion to be like. I had imagined being whisked away, this place ripped apart, Daehyun saved, and Gi Bum and his men suffering an end fit for their monstrous actions.

But, it was nowhere close to my imagination.

I was still here, enclosed by four bedroom walls. I wasn’t home, like I was supposed to be. I wasn’t with Chin Ho, Him Chan, Young Jae, Jong Up, or Jun Hong. 

Yong Guk didn’t have to explain clearly for me to know that the life I envisioned for us was now over. And, now I know that it wasn’t even close to be fulfilled. It never was. It was just my wishful thinking. It was only me expecting more than could ever happen. So, I was left disappointed.

My door is opened without my permission and I looked up to see Gi Bum’s underling.

“Get up.” 

Thankfully, Jae Ho was closely behind the man and I gently pushed myself up onto my feet.

“You said she was a nurse?” The man looked at Jae Ho to confirm the fact and Jae Ho returns a nod. Without another word, he reaches out and grips my arm. I didn’t bother putting up a fight as I was led from my room to elsewhere. I tried not to obviously look at Jae Ho, only resorting to quick glances from the corner of my eyes. 

I didn’t recognize the hallway I was brought through but, as long as Jae Ho was right at my heels, the dread didn’t increase. 

“Here.” The man opens the door and pushes me inside. “Patch him up.” 

I left my bedroom to be in another bedroom, it seems. Though, it was put together better than my own shabby one. I looked down at the boy seated at the edge of his king-sized bed. It looks like Min Guk got into some trouble. It was like looking in the mirror, his body was also covered in injuries. 

I didn’t say anything as I look at the wooden table set up beside him. Sitting on top was a first aid kit and I didn’t have to be told to guess what they wanted me to do. 

I heard the door click behind me, leaving me alone with the kid. 

I’m assuming that the faster I get this treatment over and done with, I could return to my bedroom to wonder again where I stand in this world. 

I reached for the first aid kit to open it. 

“Were you sold?”

Those were his first words to me, but it was heading into a topic I didn’t care to speak to him about. I grabbed what I needed from the small kit and took a look at his injuries. “Your father beat you again?” It wasn’t a far-fetch idea since he did stand up for his father. And, now that I was thinking about it, why did Min Guk do that?

“I asked if you were sold?” He emphasized while looking up at me.

“So, what if I was?” I snapped at him, my attention still on doing my task.

Before I could do anything, Min Guk gripped my hand to stop my actions. “Did he touch you?”

I stared down at the boy. Looking at him again, it still didn’t change the fact that he was young. He could be going to school but he wasn’t. What a shame. “Let me finish, so I can leave.” I tugged back my hand and went back to what I was doing, ignoring him. 

“Do you think he’s going to come?” He continued to speak but I stayed silent. I didn’t care to r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter