Chapter 27: Change

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up realizing the spot beside me was empty and at the same time, my heart raced thinking the whole event from yesterday was a dream. But, the new room that provided an unexplainable comfort proved otherwise.

I was back.

It may not be the same home I was used to but it was still a thousand times better than Gi Bum’s building. Which, was very obvious. 

And this morning would have been much better if Bang was here. 

My heart tightened at the thought. Normally, Bang would be at his company but now I had to get used to the fact that that normal life is now out of reach. 

The soreness in my limbs brought me back to attention as I slipped out from under the sheets and walked to the door before opening it.

The hallway was quiet and I continued walking, thinking someone would be in the living room. 

And, it seems I was right.

The six that was still here, was gathered around the television set. There on the screen, Gi Bum was arrested and the girls were found and now safe. I continued to quietly watch and relieved when Jae Ho wasn’t one of the people under custody nor was Min Guk. 

“You shouldn’t be on your feet.” Him Chan came up from behind me, propping his arm against the wall. 

At Him Chan’s announcement, the rest of the boys – minus Daehyun and Bang turned around to see me. 

“Noona.” Jun Hong and Chin Ho called out in unison. 

“You should have stayed in bed longer.” Chin Ho also stands from his seat on the couch. 

“I’m fine.” I answered truthfully. Fine enough to walk around without any big problems. 

“Have a seat.” Youngjae moved over, allowing some space beside him so that I could join him.

This whole atmosphere was still strange to me as I fell into the soft cushions. 

Those long months being under Gi Bum’s watch felt so insignificant as I sat here surrounded by the boys. Well, some of them. And, the facial expression shown by all the boys told me they felt the same way. They were relieved for me to be back. 

And without knowing, I was overwhelmed with emotions. Very much delayed emotions, I might add. 

My eyes grew blurry and tears soon slowly fell from my eyes.  

“What are you crying about?” Him Chan calls out softly. 

I chuckled. “I’m not sure.” I had no control over it. 

“You’re safe now, Na Ri.” Youngjae adds from beside me and I nod in response. I knew that and maybe that’s why I was crying. Because all those times when I was left to fend for myself, it paid off. I was finally back.

Gi Bum is finally going to be held responsible for his repulsive crimes.

The girls were now safe and returned to their loving families and home.

Everything is how it should be.

…Almost.

The phone in Him Chan’s pocket buzzed and he answered the call.

“What’s up, Yong Guk?” 

Whatever Bang told him caused Him Chan’s face to reflect a look of grim. 

What happened?

It took only seconds for Him Chan to drop his phone and grab ahold of my arm. I was pulled up from my seat and back down the hallway. 

“Na Ri, stay in your room and don’t come out.” Him Chan didn’t bother to explain anything else before placing me back inside Bang’s room and shutting the door. I stared at the wooden barrier, dumbfounded. 

I reached out my hand to touch the doorknob but froze at the sound of the front door opening. I waited and listened carefully to figure out what was happening out there as I was kept in here.

I placed my ear against the door but the voices were muffled and unclear. I couldn’t even hear the tone of the voices to know who was speaking but like what Him Chan desired from me, I stayed inside.

My fingers trembled against the door as my ear was still pressed up against it. 

I didn’t know why.

Fear?

Soon, footsteps marched down the hallway and I could hear it stopping in front of my door. The doorknob twisted and turned and I stepped back away from the locked door.

Whoever that was here, came for me and my body shook without my permission.

I couldn’t go again. I couldn’t be taken again.

My heart raced as I stared wide-eyed at the door.

“It’s me, Na Ri.” 

The sound of Him Chan’s voice made me release a breath that I didn’t realize I had been holding. I rushed towards the door and unlocked it. The sight of Him Chan’s face greeted me and I released another heavy breath.

“Are you okay?” He asked and what nerve he had.

I reached out and hit him on his chest. “I was scared! What happened?” 

Him Chan hesitated on answering me and I asked him again.

“What did Bang tell you?” It had something to do with the phone call, I’m not totally out of it to not be able to discern the situation. He only gave me silence as he struggled to think of something to say. “Who did Bang get involved with?”

Bang and I had only touched on this subject once before but I didn’t get any answers from him other than this man Bang had gotten in touch with.

“Not exactly a nice person.” Him Chan barely told me.

“Another person from the underground?” I asked for confirmation and Him Chan nod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter