Chapter 28: Counteract

They Can't Control Us II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I felt the expected empty spot next to me as my eyes slowly fluttered opened. It didn’t surprise me when I didn’t find Bang but what surprised me was that after getting home so late at night, he was still able to get up so early in the morning.

His health could be suffering but even if I wanted him to understand, he wouldn’t bother listening. That was who Bang was. 

To my surprise, a buzzing noise sounded off out of nowhere. I looked over at the nightstand seeing a cellphone thumping against the wooded surface.

I didn’t remember seeing a phone there before. 

I get up from bed and reached over for it. The phone continued vibrating in my hands as I looked down at the name.

Bang Yong Guk.

“Hello?” I softly answered the call. “Bang?”

 “You found the phone.” His deep voice comes over and it sends this strange comforting feeling over my body. “I figure I’ll call you since I left before you woke.”

His words caused a small smile to form on my lips. “This isn’t my phone.” I joked slightly.

“It is now.” 

“Thank you for getting me one.” Before, Bang wouldn’t even do such a thing but every time I see him, I notice the small changes that seem to naturally take place. “Where – when will you be home?” I stopped myself from asking where he was. It would be entering into forbidden territory and I knew I wouldn’t get an answer anyway.

I would feel uselessly frustrated again.

“Hopefully before dinner.” 

“I’m going to hold you to that.” I laughed softly into the phone.

“I’ll see you soon, Na Ri.” 

With that, we both said our goodbyes and ended the call. 

***

“What’s taking you so long?” Him Chan walked back down the sidewalk to grab Yong Guk, who has been lost in his thoughts for a while now. He looked down at the phone in Yong Guk’s hand. “Someone called you?”

“I called Na Ri.” Yong Guk answers as he tears his eyes away from the shop’s window glass. As soon as Yong Guk saw the item on display, he immediately thought of her and he automatically reached for his phone. 

Him Chan nodded as Yong Guk finally focused back and continued on his way.

What was Yong Guk staring at? Him Chan looked through the glass window and the small gleaming object made his eyes round in unexpected surprise and a whole lot of questions.

What exactly was Yong Guk thinking about?

But, anyone would have come to one conclusion and Him Chan wasn’t an exception as he stared at Yong Guk’s retreating back. 

Him Chan brushed the thought way as he ran after Yong Guk to catch up to him. “How’s the situation with Suk Yang?”

Yong Guk kept his eyes forward as he answered Him Chan’s question. “He’s pushing to see her.”

No matter how many times Yong Guk tries to deny the desired meeting between Suk Yang and Na Ri, the man will not give in. He continues to insist and Yong Guk feared that Suk Yang would somehow make it happen with or without Yong Guk’s consent. 

“He just wants some control over you.” Him Chan concludes. And, the reasoning wasn’t hard to believe. Na Ri is not related to this at all but if Suk Yang wants to meet her, he had figured out that she was Yong Guk’s weakness. “Yong Guk, you know what we need to do right?”

“Counteract.” Yong Guk replies without hesitation. If what Suk Yang wants from him is weakness, Yong Guk needs to even out the playing field. 

He needs to find something on Suk Yang. 

***

Well – 

“Can’t we just start eating?” Daehyun grumpily vocalize the thoughts that everyone was sharing at the dinner table. He already returned to his usual behavior now that he was all healed up. 

“Let’s wait a few more minutes.” I replied as I stared at the clock.

“He’s not going to come home. Yong Guk hyung never comes home this early.” Young Jae interjects from the side. 

I sigh as my hope continues to deplete at the sound of each ticking of the clock. Maybe it was too much to wish for Bang to be home. And, it didn’t help when I thought about what Bang might be doing. 

Because I didn’t know what he was doing. 

I didn’t bother to force a smile as I said my next words. “Then let’s start eating.” 
With my permission, they all hesitated to get started and I looked up to meet their gaze. “Well, you wanted to eat, right?”

Daehyun gave me a pointed look. “If you say it like that, no one would want to eat.”

This time I forced a smile. “There, better? Let’s eat.” I reached for my spoon and dug into the bowl of rice. Even as I ate spoon after spoon, the food tasted so bland in my mouth. 

After dinner, the boys went back to doing their own thing as I went off to help Daehyun.

He sat before me in his bedroom as I checked on his injuries that were slowly healing. 

“How do they look?” He peered up at me.

With my eyes still trailing the fading marks, I answered. “They look fine. Nothing seems to be out of place and soon, you’ll be good as new.” 

I sighed as silence rang through the room.

“How are you feeling?” Daehyun asks in his unusual tone. A tone that held no teasing but care. 

“I’m doing fine.” I was quick to answer.

“Na Ri.” Daehyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter