Being there pt. 1

Dance On (HIATUS)

A/N

Hi guys!So...I know it has been more than a month since I last updated but 10th grade is proving itself to be more of a challenging than I thought it would be. I have test after test and between  them there is little time to write.

Adding to that last week I attended YAGP ( a ballet competition) semifinals in Paris so no need to mention how that made it impossible to update( in this chapter Hilyuk is supposedly attending that same competiton). 

As if those weren't enough obstacles, I had another,much more serious, complication.This one is very personal and I won't talk about it, let's just say I have my own Ms Lee in my life (you'll  get it after you read the chapter), so I hope you understand. 

Despite that I hope you enjoy the chapter,sorry for the mistakes Nd happy readings! 
 

----------------

 

Myungsoo POV

"Hi guys!" Hyorin greeted as she arrived at the practise room.

"Morning" Lay replied sleepy with dark circles under his eyes. I ,myself, looked like a zombie.

Bona had told us about her adventure with him at the gala. At first I was quite mad at Hyorin for not telling me about her suspicions but she defended herself by saying she had no idea about what Lay was planing so I forgave her, and then I got even madder at Bona for not having told me how her mother was doing. Of course I had forgiven her as well. Specially after what happened. 

Since monday and over the past week her mother had been in critical state, she went from treatment to treatment but still the prognostic wasn't good . Bona refused to leave the hospital and she had slept there for the past 2 nights. Ms Yoon and Hilyuk were at Paris attending YAGP( a worldwide ballet competition)so they couldn't be here for her still they skyped everyday and Ms Yoon was ready to catch a plain anytime.

We were also doing our best to support her. As her best friend and, as Ms Lee joked, her adoptive sister I went there  everyday after class.Our friends also helped: on Monday Hyorin and Taemin visited her and yesterday Kai came with me to the hospital, I even ended up sleeping there with Lay ,who was being particularly  supportive and  hadn't slept in 2 days, and as anyone could tell just by looking: neither had I.

"Morning sleeping beauty" Kai said as I felt a pair of arms grabbing me from behind and then he kissed me on the cheek. I tried to smiled but I was sure that with my sleepy face my effort would be in vain.

I was definitely not ready to rehearse, let alone having a whole day of school.Luckily, I had 3 classes with Hyorin and 2 with Taemin and even though I only had 1 with Kai, that one  would start in  more or less a hour and was Partnering.I used to hate it but since I had him as my partner I felt much more secure(sorry Hilyuk) and I had actually started to like it.

"Hey.How are you coping with everything?" Kai brought me back down to earth.

"I don't know really. Ms Lee always took care of us, she would make me sleep at their place on the night before performances and then she did our makeups and hairs.We would always complaint about how tight the bun was or how the eyeshadow didn't look good but I would give anything to have that back.It still seems so surreal " I choked my head" But Bona texted me earlier and Ms Lee had been stabilized, so that makes me feel better."

He came closer and hugged me "You don't look well. If you want I can ask Hyorin to postpone the rehearsal, she would totally understand"

"I really appreciate your effort but that won't be needed.Plus I really want to see how is your solo, hopefully you improved it since last time I saw it." I winked felling a bit better

"Of course."he replied with a forced smile"How about we do it like this: we'll rehearse and even though my solo is terrible you'll lie and compliment it's originality and all that.Then, for 1 hour, we'll put up with BoA and practice the lifts you hate so much, and since it's the only class we have together you'll have to fulfil your inspiration dose of the day.After that you'll endure a hard school day without me and if by the end you have survived I'll take you out for dinner.

I smiled at the tempeting plan."Kai, nothing would make me happier but Bona needs me right know and I have to check on her..." I was saying when Lay interrupted

"You can go Myung. Bona told me she didn't need any visits today(nevertheless she appreciated all our concern).I also phoned Ms Lee doctor and he told me she was more stable, but still very weak.Still I'll drop by later to check up on both. I'll have dinner and sleep there so you can go." He ensured

"Are you sure? I can go with you if you want." I pointed out

"It's fine really, just enjoy your date" he replied giving us a warm smile

Kai thanked him and then turned so that he faced me.

"Now that we got that taken care of, will you come?"he asked

"Of course" I squealed before kissing him

We were flirting  when we heard a loud cough:

"Cut that of! I'm already in a bad mood because of Ms Lee situation and the fact Hilyuk is in Paris,surrounded by skinny French gorgeous girls all in tight leotards!!Let's just start already." Hyorin exclaimed

The music started blasting trough the speakers and we started.We had been doing the same for about an hour when someone arrived;the first student to come was Hyoyeon,oddly she wasn't followed by her clique.

"What are you looking at?" She asked rudely

Well,someone hadn't slept well last night... Too bad for her:I wasn't in the mood.

"Probably anything but you"I replied with a tired voice.

She was so surprised by my response that she was left speechless, however someone did say something.

"Woah someone has got claws"Jay,who had just arrived,smiled

"Shut up"Kai replied shortly after recognizing Jays voice,he then turned to us"Okay guys, let's call it a wrap for today. Myung your my partner" he declared

I nooded and didn't complain,after all I WANTED to be his partner,but the disappointed looks on Taemins and Jays faces made me feel really happy(when had I become such a bad person?),made me feel wanted.I chocked my head:"God Myungsoo,you are so stupid.You are lucky Kai likes you don't get any funny ideas" I thought to myself. I was right:I was indeed lucky that someone as awesome as Kai liked me but there was still something that bothered me: his attitude towards Jay.They have very similar personalities and I could tell they would get along if they gave each other a chance.

Lay let it slip that they had been best friends but then something terrible happened and they started to hate each other, when I asked him what happened he said if anyone would tell me it had to be Kai himself so I asked him.Of course he gave me no answer, he just reforced he didn't want me near him.But still he had no right to be rude to him.

There were still a few minutes before class and Kai was packing his things ,I knew he would be upset if he saw me so I discretely made my way to Jay.

"Morning" I whispered as I saw his confused expression, his eyes wandered through the room until they layed on the distracted Kai."Oh..."he sighted"Morning" and then he noticed my dark circles "What happened to you?It looks like someone punched you in the eyes!You look even worst than last week!"

"Yeah,I know.Things have been complicated.But thanks to your book I'm having less trouble falling asleep." I replied with a tired smile

"I'm sorry to hear that, if you need me don't hesitate.And you can keep the book if you want,I'm glad it helps."he smiled a bit and then his eyes widened"You better go now"

I didn't get it right at the moment but then I followed his eyes that led me to a Kai trying to contain  his annoyment .I nodded and waved him a goodbye.

On my way to Kai I could swear I saw Jay smirking by the corner of my eye however I had not much time to give it a though  as BoA entered the room right after.

What started as an easy and quite basic routine soon became more difficult and intricated: it was full of tricks and demanded that both dancers were in perfect harmony. Of course that lead to many injuries and falls, it was already the third time we triped and I could surely affirm  no one would wake up tomorrow with less than 10 bruises. The disappointment on BoAs face was clear: she gave her best when teaching and she didn't expect anything else from her students students, when Hyorin fell from Lays arms for the second time in a row she exploded:

"Guys!!!!!?FOCUS!!!" she shouted with her eyes wide open and very blushed "This is a PARTNERING class,you are supposed to be PARTNERS!!!.Boys, you are the girls last resource before hitting the ground if something goes wrong, but being a good partner is so much more than just catching them: you must antecipate the fall before she even loses her balance.And girls you MUST trust them (of course they must give you reasons to trust him) but still don't hold back,otherwise you might end up injuring both.Being someones partner means your minds must be connected, you should know your partners advantages and learn from them but also their disadvantages and help them improve-of course!,but also predict them before they get in your performances way. You should be ready to injure yourself for your partners sake. If that happens both of you will give your best and there will be no chance of things to go wrong.When you have a good partner you don't have to worry about falling: there will always someone catching you or at least minimalizing the impact." She explained.

Actually what she said made a lot of sense and you could tell she was very passionate about dancing: I liked her for that, dance is fun and all that but you should take it seriously when someone else is envolved. Apparently I wasn't the only one to think like that,inspired by BoAs speech we put her advice's into practice and, I must admit, the difference was pretty obvious.

I was having so much fun with Kai time flied and the lesson soon ended.

"Hey gorgeous,do you think you'll survive without me for a whole day?" he said after the bell rang and we picked up our stuff:I would have math and he would have chemistry but ,apart from that class,we would only have 2 more classes before being together again at lunch.

"Its only a few hours till lunch time" I answered smiling not worrying to much

He smiled as well "Only that today we have different lunch times,or have you forgotten?"

My smile dissapeared and my heart sank :that meant I wouldn't see him for the rest of the day- which suddenly seemed much longer and boring. He was delighted by my dissapointment and started laughing but it was not funny at all.

"Come on don't be so pessimist, its not that long." He tried to cheer me up"And next time you joke about how little you care about me just remember this moment...Mhm and look on the bright side: during this hours you won't have to put up with me"

That made me even sadder: we were having such a good time! I was already thinking that this would be one of this days when each minute seems like an hour and I pouted.

" But I WANT to put up with you" I whined.

And then suddenly something changed on his expression, he pulled me by the hips and kissed me just like that,right there with everyone around. BoA letted out a cough and Vic and Jia looked disgusted, I myself was quite surprised...And pleased.

"Whoa,what was that for?" I asked happy and he just shrank his shoulders

"I don't know,something for you to remember and make time pass faster.And keep you looking forward for tonight:I'll pick you at the dorm at 8!!" He said before Taemin came and dragged him for their next class.

Oh he could bet, I would be looking forward to it.I quickly  spaced put only to be brought  back to heart by Hyorin.

"God! You are always day dreaming, I don't know how Hilyuk managed to put up with you and Lays female version.Talking about Hilyuk:do you think he likes western girls?I mean they are so flat their front is the same as their back."she sighted

"That's so mean.Not everyone can have your Victorias Secret like body"I replied staring down at my non existing chest.

She looked at me and opened her eyes."Oh Myung,I wasn't mentioning you,you have and unique and beautiful body! "she quickly corrected "I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that,I'm just stressed."

"Hyorin what are you stressing about?Hilyuk adores you!Hasn't he texted you yet?"

"Well...Yeah he did.But still..."

"No but!He likes you and what's wrong with that?Accept that you deserve to be loved."

"Well,that's easy for you to say:you have Kai. Not to mention Jay and Taemin are,also, both into you."she replied.

Well I wasn't expecting that one and that certainly left me speechless.

"Haaa...Don't change the subject, this was about you and Hilyuk..."I gasped

"You're blushing.Pahahaha" she bursted laughing "See what I just? 2 in 1: I'm much more relieved about Hilyuk and I made you forget about Kai"

She did have a point,but before I could even reply she putted her arm around mine and dragged me outside the classroom, saying we would be late, only giving me time to see Kai's goodbye kiss.

Classes went on and on,every second felling more like an hour and the only thing that made up for that were Taemins jokes and efforts of making me laugh or seeing Hyorin divagate and linking everything teachers said to Europe,  Paris or anything Hilyuk  related.Evwn lunch time lasted for what appeared to be forever.

When the last classes bell rang I had already packed everything and got up as soon as I heard it.

"Well someone is in a hurry"Onew(the math teacher) exclaimed. I only got time to give him a sorry smile:it wasn't personal,I actually liked his classes but it was already 6 and I to take a bath,straighten my hair and choose what to hear.God I had to hurry.

"Wait up Myung!" Hyorin shouted when I was already halfway through the corridor.

"So...What are you going to wear?" and so we started chatting about dresses,skirts and stuff I didn't even knew existed but for Hyorin were considered essential clothing.

When we were already at the dorm, I had just opened the door and we were getting in when we notice a huge package on top of the little table.

"What's this?" Hyorin asked as she approached it"Omg it's for you!Kai sent this!See what's inside!!"

Was that real? Wasn't she just messing around?I took a closer look:there was a little letter on top of the package written in his quirky handwriting.

"Hi Myung! I hope you are feeling better, I know you are having a rough time so hopefully I'll lift your mood up a bit.As you can tell I don't have much fashion sense but the shop attendent said this was nice.I think it will look great on you.Be ready at 8!!" I read outloud.

As I took the box lid,its content appeared and a pale pink dress came into my vision field.I took it out and placed it in front of me

"It's gorgeous!"Hyorin exclaimed"He finally learned something after shopping so many years with me."

It was indeed beautiful: it was strapless and the skirt wasn't neither too long or to short,as soon as I tried it made my legs look endless and super skinny.I was still amazed by the dress and the matching shoes he had sent me while Hyorin was already having ideas for the makeup and hair.

"Since its strapless lets go with an updo so it highlights your shoulders and collar bones. And we don't wanna go overboard with the makeup, let's keep it simple in some pastel colors." and before I could protest she had forced me to sit on a chair and had started gathering brushes ,eye shadows and lipsticks.

Though around me she swirled and twirled taking everything out of its place and leaving around her a trail of bubbliness I remain quiet sitting on the chair and smilling to myself ,I even letted out a giggle.And that was when it hitted me:this was the first time I laughed in a few days,like the first time I was seriously relaxed and wanted to do so. I slowly started realizing that I had been so stressed and worried I had ignored all efforts my friends made to cheer me up,little things they had made over the week that at the moment I hadn't even notice but now turned out to be really important. The fact that they had took the time to visit Ms Lee,alone, was honorable. They were the kind of friends that almost as soon as you meet them you notice yourself asking how have you survived all this time without them. I don't know about "normal" people but dancers tend to create a special bound.After giving it a little thought I admitted I trusted Hyorin,Taemin,Lay and of course Kai almost as much as Hilyuk and Bona whom I had known for years.

I got up and catched Hyorin in my arms while she was making her away to get a few blushes and pulled her close into a hug.

"Thanks!" I said sincerely

"What for?"she joked

"You know just for everything, we don't get to thank people as much as we should" she looked at me seriously and hugged me too

"I know you are having a hard time and I hope you know we are all praying for Ms Lee recovery,  if you need anything  just tell us right away, we'll  try to help in as much as we can."she replied"But you have to take care of yourself as well. You are always worring about others, tonight worry about yourself, enjoy the time you and Kai have together"

"You are right."I agreed as I decided I wouldn't worry about anything tonight and just cherish  the time I had with him"Tonight will be just for me and Kai"

"That's all very nice but you have like 1 hour left before he arrives so I should get started."

And just like she predicted 45 minutes after, I had just been completely transformed-dont ever underestimate the power of makeup and a curling iron-when Kai knocked.

"Whoa..." he exclaimed when he saw me "I tried to use Hyorins  advises and when I saw the dress I automatically  thought it would look great on you but this...Well, this goes beyond  anything I could imagine, you look beautiful. "

I hoped they didn't notice  but I started blushing.

"Hey come on Myung" Hyorin  said nicely while pushing me forward towards Kai"Go on, tonight is just for you:don't think about anything else, ok? You deserve a break."

I smile and lipsynced  a thank you.

"Well then, off we go.See ya tomorrow "Kai waved to her and grabbed me by the hand.

"So where are we ahead to?"I asked as he opened me the door to his red ferrari( sometimes I completely forget how rich they were, and I most admit I prefered Taemins modest classic over this.... machine)

"I  was planning on taking you to that fancy restaurant that opened downtown but then I thought you would prefer it if I took you to that ramyun shop you showed me last week."  He exclaimed smilling.

"You know me so well.And, oh my god, you must really like me, last time we went there I spent more than an hour convincing  you to try it Mr "I don't like food that cost less than what Myung would  spent to eat for an entire week meals"! I told you it was jjang!" I replied more excited

He laughed a bit but then the car went completely silent,  I could tell he was going to say something serious.

"Yeah I know Hyorin has probably spoken to you already but I just want to let you know: I can't  even imagine how though things must have been for you this week and I know this doesn't  make it any better but I'm here for anything you need. And I mean anything, ok?" he said with his eyes filled with concern.

I leaned  towards him to kiss him but the seat belt got in the way, the whole situation was just really comic and akward.He bursted laughing and instead leaned himself to me.

"It does make things better, trust me" I ensured " Hey I know it's totally off topic but we are all dressed up to go to a snack bar?"

He just shrank his shoulders, smirking  "I guess so"The engine started and he drove us.

When we got there I couldn't even believe it:the snack bar I refered to no longer existed. Instead the corners shop that used to be a dark and tiny restaurant  I had frequented for years looked completely different from what it was 24 hour ago. On the outside there were hundreds of tiny Christmas lights around the surrounding trees and near the door. When we entered the kitchen  had been relocated and the once unpainted and full of humidity walls were now lavender. The furniture and overall everything had been completely renovated. The only thing that remained was the delicious  scent of just made noodles.

"What have you done?!" I asked astonished  and fascinated as I saw his happy expression

"Hmm,I know a friend who's studying to be a room  decorator and he was looking for a project, I've simply sponsored it. The owner here agreed on closing the restaurent for tonight  so we are completely alone, she also said you could come here for free anytime."

I couldn't express how happy I was so I simply putted my hand on his waist and pulled him to me.

"I know how much you love ajhumannis cooking but tonight you'll have to bear with mine.Taemin  spent the week teaching  me how to cook soup."he smiled 

"I would really like to try that, Chef " I joked

"Of course miss, and if you allow me I would like to suggest the Chefs speciality-rice and frozen nuggets- as main course." he continued

Our silly jokes and quarrels lasted for hours, we spoke and laughed and I was enjoying  myself  as I hadn't done in a long time.Being with him made it feel as if everything  was fine,as if he was a portal to a whole new dimension were there were no cancer tumours or sick Ms Lee.

"Hey come here " he said while we ate the éclairs he had bought at the pastry across the street for dessert."Here " he exclaimed as he removed with his index a piece of cream at the corner of my mouth.

I took took a bit of my cream and placed it on his , then I leaned forward and wiped it with a kiss "Here" I imitated

"Oh really? That's  how it is going to be?" He laughed squishing  the entire cream of the pastries and throwing it at me. I had only a couple seconds to dodge it before it came in my direction, now it was my time to answer his attack and before we could tell we had made a mess of the renovated restaurant and our attires were completely  ruined. Our little fight was interrupted by my phones ringing, we could barely  hear it over our laughter and I was bound to ignore it,I was really having fun and I didn't want to stop.

"Don't take it " Kai shouted under the table he had turned into his fort.

"I won't, I'll just see who's calling " when I reached it Bonas name came on the screen,I couldn't  simply  hang on her face and I was about to take the call when Hyorins voice came to my mind " But you have to take care of yourself as well, you are always worring about the others, tonight worry about yourself, enjoy your time together" I decided to follow her advice and instead I sent  her one of those instant messages " Sorry I can't take your call at the moment I'll  contact  you later" it said before I pressed sent and shoved the phone on my purse just on time as a flying éclair barely missed the top of my head.

No need to mention  I would forget completely about the call, in fact it was only after many hours passed,after we stoped fighting, cuddled and cleaned the whole place, I remembered about it. When I tried to call her back the phone rang over and over again with no answer.

Strange, she usually answered after the first rang,suddenly I started feeling weird, something didn't feel right. When she finally picked up what she said left me emotionless :

" Come " she simply and coldly said before she hang up, however she didn't  need to explain anything else, I got the message 

"Kai..."I mumbled with a shaky voice"I think we need to go to the hospital" tears streaming  down  my face. No questions  were asked and he simply guided me to the car, fastened my seat belt and speeded towards he hospital.

When we arrive there my hand was shaking uncontrollably even with Kais holding it with a strong grip, we made our way to the intensive care hall and when we got to the room I feel on my knees.

Bona was with her head hidden  in Lays chest crying without control,  Taemin and Hyorin were also at the corner and came to hug me.At the center of the room there was a bed where Ms Lee layed lifeless under the sheets,it was as if she was only sleeping and would wake up any moment like she used to do during  our ballet performances when it was our time to dance. Kai picked me up and did the same Lay was doing  to Bona.

Bona! I letted go of his embrace and went to her,she came into my arms with no resistence and letted  me comfort her by massaging  her back with my hand. When  the hiccups started to disappear and her breathing became more regular she pulled me close and whispered " I called you when the doctors told me she wouldn't endure it more than tonight, when  she was almost gone.You didn't even had the nerve  to pick up.You are here because we can't simply ignore how much she meant for both of us and because I'm   realy fragile and nor Hikyuk or Ms Yoon are here I need you, but don't  think I'll let this slip:I've been there every time you needed me and when it's your time to return the favor, once Myungsoo once, you don't even pick up."

Beneath the angry tone I could hear her voice trembling ,more than mad she was hurt,and she had the right to be. Countless times she had consolated and comforted me not asking for anything in return and now I had failed her terribly and it was all my fault. 

For time being  we kept on each others arms crying unstopabbly comforting each other but I could tell the worst was still to come.

And I was ready to face it, I deserved. BoAs words echoed in my mind " ... being a good partner is so much more than just catching them: you must antecipate the fall before she even loses her balance.When you have a good partner you don't have to worry about falling: there will always someone catching you or at least minimalizing the impact."

She had catched me multiple times on the past and now I had failed her completely.I had been a terrible partner for her who had been always there for me.I was the only to blame and I had no excuse. 

I had let her fall, and we all know about dancers that have never trusted a partner after he letted them fall.