Intent

100 Prompts (The Showdown sequel...kinda)

So, I know I said that the last chapter would be the last one before I moved, but I got bit by the idea fairy and I'm waiting on laundry to finish so I can pack it up in my suitcases so I hope that you all like this and this probably WILL be the last one before I head out.

The quick nature of this one also means that it isn't very well edited (nothing really beyond spell check) but I wanted to put it up because I can't guarantee the time to put it up before I leave after this.

 

#49 – Intent

 

 

Lightning shot across the sky, lighting up the room with an unhealthy glow.

 

A massive boom of thunder quickly followed, shaking the windows in their frames.

 

Taemin sighed.  Sometimes he swore that he had his own personal bad luck fairy following him around.  It seems that whenever he tried to do something special for Kibum, it blew up in his face.

 

Taemin sighed and turned away from the window.

 

Kibum lay silently in the bed, still asleep for now, though Taemin could not understand how.  The man’s upper body was partially turned towards the spot that Taemin had formally occupied, his legs splayed out in the other direction, one having kicked its way free of the sheets and lay out bare to the chilled air.  Locks of dark hair drifted in front of the man’s eyes, ruffling slightly with each exhaled breath. 

 

Taemin marveled at the peaceful expression on his lover’s face.  No lines marred his visage, no stresses from their life making themselves known while Kibum escaped to the realm of dreams – Taemin loved seeing Kibum like this.  It was like everything was perfect; nothing could touch them right now.  Taemin reached into Kibum’s bag on the table and sorted through to find his camera. 

 

Taemin smiled, stepping back and watching the digital view screen for the image.  He waited until the next lightning flash was over to take the shot, hoping that the camera flash would be enough to bring out the image.

 

Kibum’s forehead contorted as the man’s eyebrows began to knit together.  A slight groan worked its way out of his throat and Taemin knew that the designer was waking up.  One long arm worked its way out of its entrapment of blankets and began to pat around on the bed where Taemin had been laying.

 

Another lightning bolt drenched the room in bright light and the resulting thunder clap seemed to complete the job of bringing Kibum to consciousness. 

 

With one more pat to the mattress, Kibum pushed himself up onto his elbows looking around with a slight pout of confusion.  He squinted with one eye over at Taemin, framed by the windows.  In a sleepy mumble the man whispered, “Did you just take a picture of me?” 

 

Taemin snorted and walked back over to the bed, sliding under his previously discarded covers and smiling when Kibum immediately curled around him, wrapping his legs around Taemin’s and tucking his head in under Taemin’s chin. 

 

“So the massive thunderstorm outside isn’t enough to wake you up, but the sound of a camera wakes you right up?”  Taemin looked down with amused incredulity. 

 

Kibum huffed, “So what?”

 

Taemin just shook his head, smirking down at the top of Kibum’s head.  “I love you, but you’re crazy.” 

 

Kibum smirked, “Love you too, and you’re warm.”   The man snuggled in closer to Taemin’s chest.

 

Taemin ran a gentle finger down Kibum’s cheekbone, kind of enjoying the feeling of Kibum’s morning stubble beneath his inquisitive hand.

 

Thunder shook their bed and Kibum huffed once more.

 

“So…” Kibum breathed, eyes closed but perfectly awake, “think the storm will clear?”

 

Taemin sighed and tilted his head back against the headboard. 

 

“I can hope…”

 

Kibum squeezed Taemin’s middle lightly.

 

“Go back to sleep, we’ll deal with it in the morning…”

 

Taemin smiled and shifted around, lowering himself on the bed so that his head was on the pillow.

 

“Alright, night love.”

 

“Night.”

 

*****

 

The good news was when they woke up the storm had cleared.  The bad news was that the high winds had tore down power lines and made a general mess of the resort that they were staying in on Cheju Island, Korea’s own little Hawaii. 

 

Taemin felt like crying.

 

He had spent months planning this. 

 

When Minjung had told them that the treatments had worked and she was pregnant both men had been ecstatic, jumping for joy around their apartment and planting huge kisses against the woman’s cheeks. 

 

But Taemin and Kibum had quickly delved into the land of worry that is occupied by every parent-to-be.  The questions about schools and discipline and money and everything ran through their minds about what could affect their child’s future. 

 

The men decided to write their wills, making sure that their child was taken care of should anything happen to them.  And Taemin had seen the shadow cross Kibum’s face when the lawyer told them that Kibum wouldn’t need to include anything passing on his parental rights seeing as he did not have any – the child was not biologically his.    

 

They had both known, but to have it put to them so bluntly – Kibum had no parental rights – was horrible and heartbreaking. 

 

“The laws on things like this are kind of up in the air right now.”  Their lawyer had said, “The tide of public opinion is changing on gay rights but I can’t tell you where the laws will be years from now should the unthinkable happen.” 

 

The man sighed and pulled his glasses off of his face.  “The only thing that might help later on would be for you two to have some representation of your commitment and relationship with each other.  Any two people can live together, and in the eyes of the law you two are merely roommates, two people sharing the same apartment, but I would recommend that you two do something to show your intent to remain as a couple for the foreseeable future.”

 

“What are you telling us to do?”  Kibum asked with a frustrated face.  “We’ve been a couple in the public eyes for thirteen years, we have joint bank accounts, both of our names are on all of the bills and our lease, we are each other beneficiaries on any insurance policies…what more can we do?”  Kibum threw his hands into the air and Taemin reached over, pulling the man against his side, rubbing his hand against his lover’s shoulder, trying to calm the other man down.

 

“Some people have gone to countries where gay marriage is legal and gotten married.  It’s not recognized here in Korea but it is a legal document showing your intent.  You could also have a commitment ceremony,” the man tilted his head to the side and a sardonic smile covered his face, “again, it’s not legally binding but it is showing your intent and commitment to each other.  Should anything happen, a more liberal judge might be willing to take that into account in addition to Mr. Lee’s wishes that you be given custody Mr. Kim.” 

 

That had been a horrible day.  Kibum had been very quiet and strained all day.  Taemin knew that when Kibum was like this is was best just to leave him alone and let him think through what was bothering him.

 

But Taemin wasn’t being idle.  And he wondered what had taken him so long.  They were engaged, Taemin had asked for Kibum’s hand almost two full years ago…so why hadn’t they done anything else?

 

Taemin didn’t want to have to go to another country, which might actually backfire against them in a court depending on the judge if they push a foreign marriage certificate at him.  But a commitment ceremony…it’s not legally binding and everyone knows that – they would be going into it knowing that – but it was something that would be entirely homegrown, with their friends and family and it would mean something to them if nothing else.

 

And so when Kibum finally came up to him, banana milk in one hand and his own steaming tea in the other, they realized that they had come to the exact same conclusion. 

 

So Taemin had planned, finding the perfect resort, making reservations, even planning something of a honeymoon in Cheju and all of this early on in Minjung’s pregnancy so that they would be around later when things began to get even more intense.

 

But everything was blowing up in his face now.  They were supposed to be using one of the resort’s private beaches for their ceremony, but it was closed now due to wind damage as one of the trees lining the sand had been partially uprooted and was leaning at a dangerous angle.

 

And Taemin had forgotten to account for weather in his plans with nowhere else reserved for the occasion. 

 

Taemin sighed and ruffled his hands through his hair. 

 

He shuffled down the hallway, kicking at nothing and shoving his hands deep into his pockets.  He moped through the hotel before turning down the hall to their suite, and was shocked when his arms were suddenly seized on both sides.  He looked up in alarm to see Taesun on one side and Minho on the other. 

 

“What are you…?”  Taemin gasped, his heart beginning to slow again with the knowledge of his captures identities.

 

Minho smirked at his dongsaeng, “Just go with it alright?”

 

Taemin just nodded dumbly, allowing himself to be dragged away by his hyungs wondering just what was going on.

 

“YAH!  Dino!  Jinki!  Let me go!”

 

Taemin’s head shot up, around another corner Kibum was being dragged, heals dragging, by Jinki and Jonghyun, both of whom were sporting frazzled expressions and flyaway hair that looked like it might have been tugged by their captive friend.  

 

He felt Minho and Taesun started to chuckle, “Thanks for just going with this…” Taesun whispered, trying to force down the laugh.

 

Taemin however chose to take advantage of his captures’ weakening grasp and wrenched his arms out, at the same time calling out, “Hey!  What’s going on?!”

 

Kibum gave an almighty jerk and freed himself from his hyungs’ hold, turning his shoulder and rubbing his sore shoulder. 

 

The two men who had been transporting the feisty man leaned against the wall, trying to catch their own breath. 

 

“Jeez,” wheezed Jonghyun, “You try to do something nice…”

 

Taemin sidled up to Kibum, “What are you trying to do anyway…?” he asked, looking from Jonghyun to the other gathered men, unconsciously reaching out a hand to rub at Kibum’s shoulder.

 

Jinki sighed and moved forward, “Look, you guys came all of this way and we’re not going to let a little storm stop you guys…”

 

“From declaring your undying love for each other…” Jonghyun interrupted.

 

“Just because you’re a serial monogamist…” Minho teased his hyung.

 

“Hey!  That’s not fair…” Jonghyun pouted, “Hwayoung and I have been together for a year…” He even crossed his arms over his chest and stuck his tongue out at his dongsaeng.

 

Kibum snapped his fingers rapidly, “Focus here!  What are we,” Kibum indicated himself and Taemin, “doing here?”

 

Taemin looked around and realized that they were standing in front of the resort’s bar.  He caught Taesun’s eye and tried to figure out what was going on.

 

“Just come on,” Taesun smiled and indicated the shut doors in front of them. 

 

Taemin grabbed Kibum’s hand, “What can it hurt?”

 

Kibum shrugged and linked his fingers with Taemin’s.  “Alright.”

 

Minho pushed open one swinging door and indicated with a sweep of his arm that Taemin and Kibum should enter into the darkened room beyond. 

 

Taemin’s eyes squinted and strained to make out anything in the bar and he felt Kibum’s hand clench around his own.

 

Dots erupted in front of both of their eyes as the lights were switched on. 

 

The bar was filled with all of the friends and family that they had invited for their special day stood around the room.  Taemin’s mother leaned back into his father with a teary smile on her face.  Taesun stood with his girlfriend off to the side leaning against the bar.  Minjung, just starting to show a baby bump sat on a bar stool next to Kibum’s Grandmother who was busy snapping photographs of the two men’s shocked expressions.  Jonghyun laughed and ran off to hug his girlfriend who stood with her own camera on the other side of the room, across from the bar.  Jinki snatched up young Chohee and kissed the very pregnant Hosook tenderly on the cheek.  Minho patted their shoulders before walking to join his own wife and their little girl who stood smiling next to Taemin’s parents.  All around the room their closest friends and family stood smiling at them.

 

Kibum’s head swiveled madly around taking in the rest of the room around them.  Someone had raided a party store, because swathes of crepe paper in blues and purples and greens were taped up on the walls and around chairs.  Plastic tablecloths in the same colors had been placed over the small round tables that filled the floor of the bar. 

 

Up on a small stage at the far side of the room there was a while banner declaring, “Congratulations Kibum and Taemin!” and all around the sides of the banner will small notes written by their guests.  White lily’s also littered the room.  They could be found all over the resort grounds and had the guests had been allowed to pick them by the resort management who had also cleared them to use the bar tonight, feeling bad for the couple who had come all this way to have their plans be ruined by the weather.

 

“Just because you forgot a back-up plan doesn’t mean that we’re going to let everything fall through.” Jinki smiled at them. 

 

“I know it’s not the décor that you wanted, but we think we did pretty well in a couple of hours.”  Taesun said with a satisfied smile.

 

Taemin felt a tear slip down his cheek.  Kibum’s arms circled around his waist as the man buried his own face into Taemin’s neck.  “We have the best friends in the world.” He sniffed as Taemin kissed the top of his head while wrapping his own arm securely around his lover. 

 

“Yeah, we do.”

 

So there, in a small little bar in the corner of the resort, they declared their love and dedication to each other.  They promised aloud, in the presence of their closest friends and family, there unwavering devotion to their relationship and themselves as a couple.  It was more like a party than a ceremony, more like a gathering in their own home.  There were no pretentions of anything formal and slightly fake; it was just them, being them, with the people that they love. 

 

They signed a certificate that wasn’t worth more than the paper it was written on in a courtroom, but it seemed real to them.  Maybe one day they would actually be able to get married.  Maybe one day Kibum wouldn’t have to worry about his rights with their child, but until then they had each other.  They had their own declaration.  And they had the family and friends who made it all alright, because they supported Taemin and Kibum in their dedication to each other.

 

Taemin had intended on a big production of a day, worthy of the diva Kim Kibum.  What he got was something much more down to earth, and probably a lot more fun. 

 

As he kissed Kibum for what seemed like the millionth time that night at the request of his family, Taemin’s heart still jumped. 

 

It was better than anything he had planned.          

 

 

 

 

Okay, so when I initially started this project, I went through each prompt and tried to write down something, the initial gut reaction to that prompt and for this one I wrote: The best laid plans of mice and men.  When I came back to this months later I was like, "What the hell does that mean?!"

 

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed!  Please remember to comment!