Eight

Shelter

I run through the huge entrance of the stadium and look for my mom and dad among the crowd, there are a lot of supporters from different clubs everywhere doing loud chants and carrying banners.  The competition has already started, there are four fights happening at the same time.

After a few seconds I notice my dad, he is on the center of the crowd sitting right in front of the judges’ table. I run some more and finally arrive to sit next to him. “Where is mom??” I ask casually, like I am not late at all.

“She will arrive soon” my dad answers in auto mode, he is too into the fight that is going on right in front of him. After five minutes or so the fight is over, then my dad turns to look at me with an accusing look “Jeongmin, where were you??”

“Sorry, I just overslept” I answer quickly.

“I didn’t ask why you were late. Your mom told me you slept at a friend’s house, where you with Hyunseong??” my dad’s voice sound as if he is disgusted with the possibility that I slept at his house, his question it is direct and cold.

“Dad, I have other friends, you know??” I automatically lie. I don’t want to explain the events of yesterday and this morning to my dad, if I do I will be exposing my shelter and Hyunseong’s family problems.

“Good. I don’t have anything against him and his family but I rather not have my son sleeping on a place filled with immoral people” he says before looking back at the match starting in front of him.

WHAT?? He just said immoral?? Does my dad think that just because Hyunseong’s mom remarried she is immoral?? In what decade is he living?? I turn my head and take a look at the matches in front of me but none of them are entertaining.

At that moment, I notice Hyunseong entering the arena and walking to the captain and the rest of the club’s members. As soon as he reaches them he bows deeply at all of them. Then he starts talking and the rest of the guys nod in an understanding manner.

I bet Hyunseong is apologizing to everyone for being late and for worrying them by not picking up his phone. I can also see the frown of remorse that forms between his eyebrows and I don’t like it at all. Why does he feel so apologetic to them??

He was late but it was because he was kicked out of his house, because he went to the club looking to clear his mind and found me there instead, it was because it was late at night and he didn’t get enough sleep. I remember Hyunseong’s sad eyes and I feel my chest hurting for a moment.

I keep looking his way and see the captain signaling him to follow him and they both walk a few meters away from the others, disappearing from my sight. What is Hyunseong talking with the captain?? Is he asking him where he was?? Why he was late??

I know Hyunseong and the captain are close friends and he is probably telling him about what happened with his mom but what if … I gulp, what if he tells him about what happened between us?? What if he tells him that he … he kissed me??

Do I have to explain the captain that I kissed Hyunseong back out of instinct?? That I couldn’t push him away because he is my friend and he was hurting?? What if the captain tells my dad about it?? I look at my dad who is still looking at the match. If he finds out he will kill me for sure.

“Jeongmin, what is wrong??” I almost jump out of my seat when my mom sits next to me.

“Nothing, mom” I answer and pretend to look at the kendo matches.

After what it seem to me like a thousand years I see by the corner of my eye Hyunseong and the captain returning to the arena. Neither of them looks angry, shocked nor sad so I guess Hyunseong didn’t tell him what happened.

I relax on my sit and realize the individual matches are already over. Now it is time for the team matches, the Sejong team which is consisted of five people goes against the Soo team, a club that is much respected in the area.                                                       

The match starts and one by one the points are given once to the Sejong team, the other to the Soo team. After fifteen minutes of intense competition, the teams are tied. Hyunseong is the last to go, he is going to fight against a mean looking guy whose face is too small for his huge body.

That guy looks really scary, like he can break a person in two. He looks older two, how old is he?? Thirty or something?? Is there a limit of age in this competition?? Hyunseong can’t possibly fight against him, it will be unfair. What if Hyunsong gets hurt??

I feel an odd twist on my stomach caused by my worries. Why the hell I am like this?? Why am I worrying so much about Hyunseong?? Suddenly my eyes meet his and he smiles at me, my worries instantly going away and my heart beating slightly faster.

“YOU BETTER WIN THIS!!” I stand up and yell at the top of my lungs. Hyunseong’s smile transforms into light chuckles before he nods at my words. I sigh and sit down feeling my heart lighter. I could see on his eyes he is confident on winning this.

I notice my dad shocked face and his eyes piercing at me because of my sudden actions but I really don’t care about him right now. The match that is about to start in front of, especially the black haired man with deep black eyes and a kind smile are the only things I am focused in.

 

.

.

.

 

After the tournament ended my dad went with the rest of the club members to celebrate their victory which left me and my mom going home together. When we arrive I told her I will be out with some friends and slept at a friend’s, she just nodded at my words.

Now, I am on my shelter just lying on my bed after spending some hours polishing the song I ended writing yesterday. I close my eyes to try to sleep and a memory invades my mid, Hyunseong soft lips kissing mine, him nibbling my lower lip as his hand softly brushed my hair.

My eyes snap open abruptly and I sit on the bed while my chest is going up and down in a fast rhythm because of my rapid breathing. What the hell is wrong with me?? Why am I thinking that?? Is it because I am lying on this bed?? Is it because I slept next to him here??

I look at my phone and it is pretty late. At that moment my phone rings making my thoughts go away and I check it, there is a text from Hyunseong.

 

< Can I meet you?  'ㅅ'

I smile slightly at the cute animal face he used, without thinking I send a reply.

> Mmmm … Weren’t you celebrating with the members?  ㅡ.ㅡ

< Yeah, they already go home … I want to talk with you *^.^*  Are you home?

> No. I am on the club ^o^

< Good, I am already outside >.<

 

I practically jumped out of the bed after getting the text. I climb the stairs and open the door in a second. Standing there is Hyunseong still wearing his kendo clothes, he looks like he just came out of the Joseon era or something.

“Hi” he greets while I let him in the club and I smell a hint of alcohol coming from him. Was he drinking??

“Hi” I greet back while we start walking to my shelter.

“Why are you still wearing that??” I ask while sitting on my bed.

“I left my clothes here earlier” he says while scratching the back of his head and looking down.

“Oh…” Right, he changed here so his clothes must be still on the lockers.

Hyunseong sits close to me on the bed, his hands resting on his tights. His glassy eyes give me a shy look while his heart shaped lips let out the words. “Can I sleep with you??”  

 

I don't know why but when he said those words I remember seeing him asleep this morning and a little smile appear on my face.