Five

Shelter

 

The unknown guys are part of the kendo club too, guess I didn’t notice them before but I don’t know how that happened. They are freaking tall!! Both of them are higher than me by 5 inches or so. Damn, why Hyunseong friends have to be so tall??

“So Jeongmin ” the one with brown hair named Jinwoon looks at me “How did Hyunseong  convince you to come?? Do you like chinese girls??” he says while wiggling his eyebrows in a funny way.

I almost start laughing at him but I suppress it “Why?? Do you??” I ask him and his face becomes as red as a tomato, this time I laugh at him without restrains.

“He does” the taller one named Sulong says and hits Jinwoon’s shoulder playfully. “He has always liked Jolin Tsai noona so he goes crazy about chinese girls” he adds and Jinwoon is redder than before.

After a few more minutes we arrive at a chinese restaurant. I bet the place was Jinwoon’s idea. Sulong quickly texts someone while we wait for the girls to arrive. I am standing next to Hyunseong and this is my chance to ask him what happened.

He could have warned me about this group date. He said this wasn’t a date so what are we doing here?? I open my mouth to ask him why he changed his mind but I was cut off “Sulong!!” it was an excited shout coming from a petite girl.

“Fei” Sulong says with a kind smile as a pretty girl makes her way to him followed by other three.

After we all introduce each other we enter the restaurant and order what Fei and Jia, the ones who are from China, recommend. Apparently Fei and Sulong met each other days ago in this same restaurant and they became friends in a second.

“So, are you girls moving to Korea for good??” Sulong asks Fei and Jia, the latter nods in response “My dad got transferred here because of work, the same goes for Fei. We are staying with Min Young’s family for now” she adds and Min Young who seems to have been staring at Jinwoon this whole time nods lightly at her friend’s words.

Jinwoon was too absorbed looking at Jia to even notice it. I, strangely enough I am really hungry so I eat some noodles while listening to the conversation.

“Where do you guys study??” Suzy, the youngest of the group asks “I go to J.Y. Park” Sulong answers. “Me too” Jinwoon says. “I go to Seoul M” I say. “I go to Prinston High” Hyunseong is the last to talk.

Prinston High?? Isn’t that a really expensive and private school?? Isn’t that the school that is pretty much filled with chaebols?? Wait !! Hyunseong, he goes to that school??

“Wow, I heard that place is huge” Suzy says while batting her eyelashes to Hyunseong. I look at her act and get annoyed by it.

“Yeah, it is pretty big” Hyunseong answer while scratching the back of his head, he is nervous.

“Do you really have a tennis court inside the school??” she asks excited and Hyunseong just nods in silence. “Wow, that is so cool” she adds while resting her cheek in one of his hands and smiling openly at Hyunseong.

There it is, this girl didn’t even look at Hyunseong before but after hearing where he studies she is suddenly talking to him?? Really subtle.

The meal’s mood changed suddenly when Sulong suggests he and Suzy change seats because she keeps asking Hyunseong a thousand questions and flirts with him without caring about the rest of us being there. She even grabs Hyunseong arm or shoulder occasionally and I can’t help but give her a disapproving look and get annoyed by her fake laugh.

So Sulong ends up sitting next to Fei and Hyunseong next to Suzy, the four of them somehow look like they are on a double date while at the other side of the table Min Young is still staring at Jinwoon without saying a word while the latter does the same except he is staring at Jia who is obviously uncomfortable so she talks with me about random stuffs.

I am more than happy when the meal is finally over and we get out of the restaurant. Sulong and Fei decide to go watch a movie by themselves and say goodbye to the rest of us. Jia and Min Young are going back home with Jinwoon who volunteered to walk them home so now there is just Hyunseong, Suzy and I outside of the restaurant.

I have never been the third wheel before, I never felt like I shouldn’t be here, like I should leave them alone together.  It strangely hurts to know they would be more comfortable without me here so I just start walking away while Suzy asks Hyunseong if he wants to go karaoke with her.

Bold move, that girl is pretty forward but I guess Hyunseong is going to go with her anyway. Suzy is a really pretty girl, she has big dark eyes and a pretty face. She is tall for a girl and has pale skin with beautiful long black hair who wouldn’t like a girl like her??

My feet start to move faster, I just want to go home and sleep right now. My heart feels heavy and my head hurts a bit. Damn, how can this group date have tired me so much??

 

“Jeongmin!!” my feet stop at once when I recognize the voice. I feel an arm resting on my shoulder and squeezing my shoulder lightly so I notice its presence. I turn my head and see a panting Hyunseong looking at me.

“It took me a while to catch up, you were walking fast” Hyunseong says and I just look at him in disbelief. Why is he here??

“Why are you here??” I ask and he looks at me with a questioning face.

“I mean, I thought you were going Karaoke with Suzy” his face looks even more confused now.

“Why would I go with her if it was just the two of us??” he asks and now I am the one confused.

“I thought you would like to go since she was flirting with you the whole meal and you didn’t stop her once” I look at my feet after letting my words out.

“She wasn’t flirting with me” I hear Hyunseong’s voice.

“You are kidding!! She was all over you Hyunseong!!” without noticing my voice is higher than usual and I close my mouth at that point to prevent more words to come out.

Hyunseong arm leaves my shoulder “Sorry, I didn’t notice” his voice sounds regretful.

“Why are you even apologizing??” I smile at his naive behavior.

He smiles back at me and I feel the warmth that it brings me every time. “Can I walk you home??” he asks.

“Don’t you always do it??” I smile at him and we start walking at a slow pace. We stop for a while at the park and sit on our usual bench. I really like looking at how the sky looks form this spot and how I can see all of the stars.

“You know Jia raps??” I ask him and he shakes his head like saying no. “She rapped a bit for me and she is really good. I want to do a collab with her” I can speak my mind freely when I am with Hyunseong and right now is one of those moments.

“It will be cool to have a duet, don’t you think??” I ask while looking at him.

“Can I be the first?? When you write your first, second and all of the songs to come, can I hear it first??” Hyunseong tone is low and sweet, like a whisper.

“Of course, you have to hear them. I would like some critics and no matter how bad it is I am sure you will tell me the truth and I will listen to you” I answer also in a whisper.

I notice Hyunseong smiling at me with a bright smile I haven’t seen before. This smile doesn’t make me feel warm as the others, with this one I feel like there is a fire inside my heart but it doesn’t burn, it actually feels very nice.

Suddenly I feel Hyunseong’s hand reaching mine and intertwining our fingers together I look down at our linked hands and I feel the fire slowly spreading to the rest of my body as we stay like this sitting on the bench next to each other for a long time.

 

I don’t know why but it didn’t feel weird at all to hold his hand. I guess I am getting used to Hyunseong’s skinship.