Seventeen

Shelter

Everywhere I look there are families, lovers and even friends sharing intimate moments, excited welcomes which are sealed with tight hugs and sweet kisses surround me as well as farewells which are expressed with silent tears and sad smiles.

Being in this emotional environment makes me sad, not because of the man I am here to see off but because of my own family. Since last Friday everything has been a mess and things got even worse after my mom told me she knew about my relationship with Hyunseong.

My parents are avoiding me. My mom doesn’t do it on purpose though, she treats me the same way than before but it is pretty obvious she is having a hard time being around me.

When we are in the house you can sense the tension and she can’t be more than five minutes alone with me, she will make up any excuse to leave. And it is worse when Hyunseong is mentioned, she will try to change the subject immediately or just leave me on my own abruptly.

My dad on the other hand does it on purpose, he has taken more projects outside of town and he is barely home these days. My mom told me that from now on, I am in charge of the expansion of the club. Dad can’t face me because he is ashamed of the way he acted and how he ended up hurting my mom or at least that is what I like to think.

My phone ringing wakes me up from my thoughts and I check it, there is a text from Hyunseong.

 

< Are you at the airport yet? ^^

I smile at his text. Friday came faster than I imagined and here I am, at the airport after school.

> I just got here. Where are you?  ><

I text back and I have a reply in a few seconds.

< Go to the VVIP room and ask for my dad!

VVIP room?? I didn’t even know there was one of those in this airport. Really Hyunseong’s dad keeps surprising me. He is more powerful than I imagined, this few days I spent with them were all filled with fancy country clubs, private theater shows and various cocktail parties.

> Ok O.O … I am on my way

I text Hyunseong before making my way into the crowd.

 

After wondering around for about fifteen minutes and asking two not so helpful airport staff, I am standing on the door of the VVIP room. ”Hello, I am looking for Mr. Shim” I say to the security guard on the door and he lets me in. “Room 6, the second door to the left”

I enter to a narrow hallway and search for the door with a golden number 6 on it, after knocking twice Hyunseong comes behind the door. “Hi, Hyunseong” I smile at him and he smiles back. “You made it on time” he says before letting me in into the room.

The room has two leather couches and a big sofa with a coffee table on the center, there is a TV screen hanging in one of the walls and a table filled with exquisite food. There is also a door to the right which I assume it is the bathroom, a fancy room indeed.

“Jeongmin-ssi, I didn’t know you were coming” Mr. Shim who is sitting in one of the couches looks at me surprised.

“Hello Mr.Shim, I just wanted to say goodbye” I say honestly and bow politely to the man in front of me.

“That is really nice of you and you are just in time, the boarding will start in a few minutes” he answers.

“I hope you have a good flight and that you come visit us soon” I say while lacing my fingers with Hyunseongs’ who blushes in response but nods at my words.

Although Mr. Shim is a powerful and respected business man he is also a kind and considerate father. Not once in the few days he has been here he has questioned our relationship instead he has encouraged us to act the way we feel. That is why his response to our closeness is just a few chuckles instead of a shocking reaction.

“I have some things to take care in London so I don’t know when I will be able to comeback” he answers me and then turns to look at Hyunseong. “But I am sure you will be alright, right son?” Hyunseong lets go of me and goes closer to his dad to hug him tightly.

“Yes dad, I am going to be fine” he says before letting go of him.

Mr. Shim grabs his suitcase and heads for the door but before going out of the room he stops in front of me. “Take care of him and make sure he calls me once a week” he says in a low tone so I can only hear him and smiles kindly before adding “I leave without worries thanks to you Jeongmin-ssi” with those last words he disappears through the door.

“What did my dad say to you??” Hyunseong’s words make me turn around to look at him, he looks nervous. Why is he so worried about what his dad said??

“That is a secret between us” I and his eyes open wide in response, I turn around with a sly smile on my face and leave the room followed by a confused looking Hyunseong.

Once outside of the room we head for the big waiting room where you can see the airplanes leaving through the room’s wall sized windows. “That is the one, right??” I point at the plane which has the numbers 2510 written on its tail. Hyunseong nods at me and we both watch as the plane takes off disappearing trough the dark blue sky.

When I turn to look at Hyunseong I notice sadness and longing in the usually bright dark orbs. With just one look I can tell he is already missing his dad. “You know why my parents got separated??” he says out of the blue while his eyes are still glued to the sky.

Hyunseong’s parents?? My memory goes back to the fight I had with my dad. “…HER MOM CHEATED ON HIS DAD REAPEATEDLY AFTER SHE CAUGHT HIM WITH THE NANNY!! THE WHOLE TOWN KNEW ABOUT IT AND AFTER THAT SHE REMARRIED WITH THE MAN SHE CHEATED ON…"

“My mom broke his heart, she left him for another man but he took the blame for it by saying he cheated on her in the first place. I never understood why he did that until I met you” Hyunseong turns to look at me with a sad smile. Me?? What do I have to do with it?? And why is Hyunseong smiling??

“He protected her from the judgmental gazes by lying because he still loved her. He wanted her to be happy even if that meant that he will never be by his side again. Even if her happiness was next to another man” Hyunseong just looks down at the floor after that.

“He is a really noble man” it is the only thing I can say after Hyunseong’s confession.

I never thought someone could do that for love. I am not sure if I could do something like that, to let go of Hyunseong. To live knowing that he doesn’t love me, that he is happy with someone else, I don’t think I could do it.

“Yes, he is” Hyunseong looks up with a bright smile that makes my previous thoughts correct. I could never let go of him. To not being able to see him smiling like this only to me, to not feel his warm embrace and the softness of his lips on mine. I will never give that away. I want him only with me, to only look at me, to only love me. I guess I am just too selfish to let him go.

 

.

.

.

 

After that we make our way out of the airport in a nostalgic silence. Hyunseong is thinking about his parents and me, well I am trying to think a way to fix things with my own. The way Hyunseong talked about his dad earlier in such a proud way, how they get along so well and the fact that they actually know each other, I really envy them.

“Jeongmin, should I take you home??” Hyunseong asks me when we are sitting on his black Hyundai Genesis ready to leave of the airport’s parking lot.

“Yeah” I say not really excited about going home “my dad is coming back today from his trip and mom wanted all of us to dine together” I tell Hyunseong and he looks at me with a worried expression.

“If anything happens just call me ok??” he offers and I nod in response, just as I am about to hold Hyunseong’s hand my phone starts ringing startling me.

I quickly move my hand away and pick up the phone “Hello??”

“Hello, is this Lee Jeongmin??” an unknown husky male voice tells me.

“Yes, who is speaking??” this is weird, only few people have my number. Why is a stranger calling me?? How did he even get the number in the first place??

“This is Mr. Lee from Starship Entertainment. I want to invite you to our close audition next Thursday”

 

WHHAAATTT!! STARSHIP ENT?? IS THIS FOR REAL?? I AM NOT DREAMING, RIGHT?? THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!