Sixteen

Shelter

“So, Jeongmin-ssi. Do you love my son??”

 

WHAT!!?? Now I know where Hyunseong got his straightforwardness from, this man is more similar to Hyunseong than I thought of. I am glad he asked me a question that is easy to answer although very embarrassing.

“Yes, sir” I let out my words while looking down at the table, trying to hide my blushing face.

“Why do you love him??” Mr. Shim words confuse me. Why do I love Hyunseong??

“Because I can’t help it.” My mind let slip it first thought and I look at Mr. Shim reaction, he is waiting for me to keep talking.

“I can’t stop feeling this way about him. I guess it is because he is perfect or maybe because he is the best person I have ever met in my life. He is kind to everyone, he is very honest, sometimes too much and he can be really naive too.

He never judges anyone before meeting them and he is usually shy but can be very forward when he wants to and the way he smiles. I never saw anyone smile in such a genuine and carefree way as he does. It is really beautiful.”

Before I can continue I hear a door clicking and see Hyunseong coming in with the dinner. He places everything in silence and I give one last look at Mr. Shim who looks expressionless before we all start eating.

After that, the dinner went pretty normal. Mr. Shim asked me about school, my parents, my future. He did look skeptical when I told him I wanted to be a musician but after Hyunseong assure him that I was really talented and that I even got an audition for Starship Ent Mr. Shim looked less skeptical.

When Mr. Shim asked me if my parents knew about my relationship with Hyunseong, it took me a long time to answer but I said the truth. I told him my mom recently knew about it and she said it was ok with her but my dad would never accept it, that is if I tell him.

I saw sadness in Mr. Shim’s eyes and the soft “I’m sorry” he said after made me realize he is a kind man. He is just having a hard time getting used to the idea of his son liking another man and he wants what it is best for him, like every parent I guess.

“It was really nice to meet you, Jeongmin-ssi” Mr. Shim tells me when I am at the door with Hyunseong right next to me. “Son, don’t forget to give Jeongmin-ssi some dessert to go” Hyunseong nods and leaves for the kitchen.

“Jeongmin-ssi” I look up to Mr. Shim who gives me a kind smile “I am glad my son found someone that makes him happy” Wait!! Does this mean he approves of me and Hyunseong being together?? Will he let Hyunseong stay??

“Thank y..” I start but I am cut off.

“But if you hurt him or break his heart, you better beg I don’t find out. I am a business man, I know some dangerous people” he smiles politely before Hyunseong enters again.

“Jeongmin, are you allright??” Hyunseong asks me but I can’t answer, my mind is blind. Is this for real?? Does Mr. Shim just threaten me??

“Don’t worry Hyunseong, I was joking with Jeongmin-ssi” Mr. Shim says with a playful smile. Was he really kidding?? I just bow briefly to him before turning around and getting out with Hyunseong.

 

.

.

.

 

“Jeongmin, is everything ok??” Hyunseong asks me while looking at the road. He offered to take me home in his car and right now we are at midway to the Sejong Club and my shelter.

“Yes, why??” I give a quick answer and my mind keeps working. Hyunseong dad works in real states, can he really know dangerous people?? How powerful is he?? I don’t know how many business he owns. What if his threat is true??

“You have been too quiet, is it because of your mom??” Hyunseong concerned voice reaches me and I look down. My mom, I haven’t told Hyunseong what I talked with my mom this morning.

“You should have been there Hyunseong. The look on her face gave her away. She was even crying!! She said she is happy as long as I am but I know she is having a hard time” I let out a sigh. “I really screw it up. I am giving her more troubles when she already has enough with my dad. I know she is disappointed of me.”

I feel one of Hyunseong’s warm hands placed on top of mine and I finally look up at him. I didn’t notice but he has stopped the car close to the park we use to come.

“Jeongmin, your mom loves you” he says looking right into my eyes. “I can imagine she has been shocked to find out but, if she says she can handle it you should trust her” he holds my hand tighter, intertwining our fingers while his other hand places softly on my knee.

“And I can assure you she is not disappointed of you, she might be confused but that is all. You are a wonderful person, someone kind and talented she should be proud of calling her son. If you want I can talk to her so she can know me better or maybe have dinner the three of …”

Before Hyunseong keeps talking I push my lips against his. It feels incredible how our lips mold together. I can feel the warmth and sweetness of Hyunseong’s lips one mine. It still surprise me how Hyunseong can make things better with just a few words.

Even though it is a quick kiss because of the uncomfortable position I am in, it still makes my heart race and my cheeks flush. “Thanks” I smile at Hyunseong whose cheeks are redder than mine. “for listening and for making me feel better”

I look at Hyunseong for a while, admiring how handsome he looks. How is it that I am so lucky?? To have this perfect man next to me “Jeongmin, don’t say things like that” Hyunseong says while scratching the back of his neck, he is nervous.

“What?? What do you mean??” I pout slightly. Is it wrong to say thank you?? Or maybe he didn’t like that I kissed him out of the blue??

“I am your boyfriend. You don’t have to thank me for doing what I am supposed to” Boyfriend, that word again. I am more than happy that Hyunseong wants to call me his boyfriend but he actually never has asked me for it.

“Hyunseong, you do realize we never discuss about being in a relationship. Neither of us asked the other out” I and I see him panicking immediately.

“I am sorry” he suddenly looks sad “I thought we were … you did say you loved me and I love you so I … ” he trails off and looks down at his lap. Maybe I shouldn’t have , he looks really sad like I am rejecting him or something.

“Hyunseong” he looks up at me with scared eyes “Hyunseong, would you be my boyfriend??”

Silence invades the car for a moment, a moment in which Hyunseong’s eyes reflect everything that is going through his mind: fear, surprise, confusion and finally happiness, happiness that shines brighter than any star on the sky outside of the car.

Hyunseong smiles brightly in response, that smile that makes my heart jump inside my chest and makes me smile back. He nods cutely before launching himself towards me, kissing me with passion. I can feel it on the way his lips are eager to taste mine, eager to feel every part of it.

I put my arms around Hyunseong’s neck and pull him closer, our lips pressing against each other harder. This kiss is different from all our previous ones, it is rougher like our lips are fighting against each other. What are they fighting about? I have no idea but I like this wilder side of Hyunseong.

 

.

.

.

 

After a really heated kiss session, I am back on my shelter lying on my bed with a huge smile on my face. It doesn’t matter if Hyunseong’s dad breaks my legs or even got me killed, it is worth it. Moments like that on Hyunseong’s car or the times when we just talk, they are all like a dream.

A dream in which Hyunseong will always be next to me.     

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________