Thirty

Shelter

“How is he?” I can faintly hear Jonghyun’s hyung voice which sounds worried and sad, so distant from his usual happy and carefree one.

“They are waiting for him to wake up” a short but concrete answer, as expected of Donghyun. “I still can’t believe his father did this to him” The bitter tone he is using makes my heart sting.

A parent is supposed to protect you and love you no matter what but still he did this to me. Am I really not his son anymore? What about my mother? Did she really mean it when she said she was sorry? The stinging feeling grows and my ribs hurt when I try to breath.  

“Sadly is not that uncommon, people hide it instead of speaking about it” I could hear sorrow in Jonghyun hyung’s voice. It is as if he understands the situation I am in.

“Sorry Jonghyung but I have to go to class. Please take care of him” I hear Donghyun hyung’s words and then silence invades the room as well as my mind.

 

.

.

.

 

“Jeongmin hyung. How are you today??” I can hear Minwoo’s voice wavering and I can perfectly picture his sad eyes staring at me. “Youngmin and I made it into the Sejong Kendo Club hyung. Later today we have our first practice” no sound is made after that, as if Minwoo is waiting for me to answer back.

“He is going to be ok, right Youngmin??” Minwoo’s words are laced with worry and fear. I would even dare to say he is at the edge of tears right now.

“I am sure he will be awake in no time” Youngmin’s voice sounds more serious and solemn than usual. For once, he is not teasing Minwoo. “We just have to take care of him properly” he adds.

“Youngmin is right” Jia’s strong voice resounds in the room “Jeongmin, you have to wake up soon, ok?” her voice is closer to me now.  “You have to keep your promise and make that song with me” her words bring sudden warmth to my heart.

A song, a complicated and beautiful mix of music and lyrics that can express the most intimate feelings. Composing music, the only way I know to turn feelings into sounds that you can relive everytime you hear it, even after days or years. Writing lyrics, the most effective way for me to speak what I don’t dare to say otherwise and to tell the people I love how much they mean to me.

As my heart gets warmer I start to feel my body: Music, of course I want to do music every single day, hour, minute and second of my life.

 

.

.

.

 

I listen to a melody that I have heard lots of times before, a song that reminds me of Hyunseong and the first time I heard his sweet perfect voice.

 

I want to protect you

“Jeongmin, wake up” Why am I hearing him inside my head?? Can he hear me too?? Hyunseong I want to see you but it is so hard to even think. I feel like I am more asleep than awake. Why my body doesn’t obey me?? I keep telling my eyes to open but they refuse. I tell my voice to come out but no sound is heard. I keep telling my heart to stay warm but all I feel is cold.

 

Even those bad habits of yours that are so wrong are what make me laugh during my rough days

“I miss you Jeongmin” Do you have any idea of how much I miss you Hyunseong?? I want to hug you as long as the strength of my arms will allow me to. I want to kiss you until I am out of breath and I have to move apart only with the intention of claiming your lips once again. I want nothing more than be next to you: To see you laughing happily while training kendo on the club, cooking your favorite food with the green apron you like so much or just looking down at the sea on a sunny day.

 

Although it will be slightly difficult, I will also say words like: I love you

“Jeongmin, I love you” Me too Hyunseong, I love you so much.

You are the one that has taught me how beautiful live can be, it never cease to amaze me how the simplest things we do together have the biggest impact in my heart and leaves the most vivid memory in my mind. I would never forget when you told me about the meaning of flowers and how your grandma taught you about them before passing away.

You have showed me how great is to have friends next to you. I hadn’t realized how much I was missing out by being a loner and only focusing on music, friends that help you when you need them the most and friends that listen to whatever you have to say no matter how silly it is. I would never forget that it was thanks to you I could have both of those.

You have made me realized how precious is to love and be loved. I thought love was nothing more than an illusion that fools rush into but you have proven it to be the most real thing in the world. The way your eyes told me how much you love me, the way your hand was always intertwined with mine giving me the support I didn’t even know I needed, the way your words had such an impact in me that could make me feel the bravest and luckiest person in the world, the way you loved me: without fear, without shame, without regret. I would never forget how much you loved me, and I hope you know that I will love you forever.

 

Thank you for everything you have given to me.

Sorry for all the pain I caused you.

I love you Hyunseong.

 

.

.

.

 

 

I open my eyes slowly and all I can see is a blur of brightness. I try to adjust my sight and I end up looking at a way too clean ceiling with a powerful white light bulb that is giving me a headache. I close my eyes for a second and look to my right side this time.

There is a little metal night table where a smiley face balloon stands, the words “Get well soon” written in other balloon with colorful patterns that contrast so much with the plain room. A small pot with beautiful green roses catches my attention, its color slowly fading to a white one when it reaches the center.

I lean forward to sit on the bed but my ribs aching makes me lay down again. I try to use my right hand as support but as soon as I press it against the bed I feel like a thunder just strike down on me, pain invading every single one of my nerves. I can only hiss at the wave of raw soreness and a sad smile spread on my lips.

So it wasn’t some kind of weird nightmare, I actually got my kicked by my father after I confessed to him I am dating Hyunseong.

A bitter chuckle leaves my lips and too soon my sight is blurry again, warm tears running through my cheeks and I just silently try to wipe them away while staring at the ceiling. I don’t know when I fall asleep after that, I just know the pain in my chest wasn’t going away no matter how much I tried.

 

.

.

.

 

“Hyu..hyung… ” my voice sounds hoarse and broken as it has deteriorated because of the lack of use “… Seo… seong” I try to open my eyes after my words and once again white is everything I can see around me.

“Jeongmin!” I hear Donghyun’s voice and soon I notice a blur of black and red in front of me. “Are you ok?” he automatically adds and I want to smack him on the head because is obvious that I am not. “Jonghyun, go call the doctor” he adds and I see a blur of light brown and blue running out of the room.

Now I can clearly see the reality surrounding me, well half of it because I can’t open my left eye properly, it hurts too much to even blink it. “Hyunseong??” I look around the room but only Donghyun is here looking at me with a worried expression.

He doesn’t answer; he only turns his head to see how an old looking doctor enters the hospital room. This doctor looks somehow familiar. His big eyes have wrinkles at the corner and the lines of expression that draw up his cheeks reveal he must have laughed a lot through his life. Have I seen him before?? Maybe I saw him when I arrived here??

How did I get here in the first place?? I don’t remember much after my father went crazy, it was all so weird like one of those out of the body experiences. I still remember his face redder than ever because of anger, my mother’s pained looked that for a second gave me hope but she didn’t even moved a finger to help me out of that horrible situation and Hyunseong…

Hyunseong, he did it, right?? He somehow managed to bring me here. But where is he?? Is he ok?? What if something bad happened to him?? What if he got hurt?? What if my father did something to him?? That can’t be, right? He is ok… he has to be.

“Jeongmin ssi” the doctor’s words make me snap out of my thoughts and I stare at him, the relieved smile he gives me makes me realize he must have called my name numerous times.

“How are you feeling??” the doctor asks and I try to roll my eyes at the silly question but my left eye hurts so much I hiss at the pain. “I guess you are still sore” he adds and writes something on his chart.

“My ribs hurt” I finally answer him. “My arm too” I say pointing at the huge bandage I have on my right arm. The doctor comes closer to me and takes off a bandage that is tightly wrapped on my head. I notice Donghyun and Jonghyun hyung looking away as if they can’t handle to look at what I assume is a pretty nasty looking wound.

“Does it look that bad?” I ask teasingly to no one in particular but neither of my friends answers, the doctor though laughs at my remark “No, I have seen worst” he wraps the bandage once again and turns to look at me.

“You are in a better condition than I could have hoped for but you will have to stay here for a week or two until you recover” he says happily before adding “If you feel any discomfort on your head, dizziness or need anything please call me” he bows to me before turning around and getting out of the room.

“Jeongmin, I am so glad you are feeling better” Jonghyun hyung says with his bright smile and I try to smile back at him but the truth is I don’t feel better at all. Maybe my body is recovering but my feelings; they are a total mess right now.

“You really scared us” Donghyun says leaving a sigh out “You were unconscious for six days” WHAT?? SIX DAYS?? I… I WAS IN A COMA FOR ALMOST A WEEK??

“Everyone was really worried” Jonghyun hyung adds with a pout on his face “Oh! I have to tell Kibum” his eyes open wide as he remembers the younger one “He will kill me if I don’t tell him you are ok” he says quickly before stepping out of the room.

“Where is Hyunseong??” I ask again but Donghyun is still not answering. “Where is Hyunseong? Is he ok? What happened?” he doesn’t speak, he only keeps silence and I feel worry eating me alive, like I am about to have a heart attack at my short age “WHAT HAPPENED!!” I yell and Donghyun flinches.

 

“Jeongmin” my body freezes at the husky voice calling my name and a wave of relief washes over me, my heart finally feels at ease and is like all the pain my body is feeling is now forgotten because of him. A couple of strong arms hug me lightly and I can feel his warmth taking over every single part of my body, my eyes closing instantly at the sudden comfort only his presence can give me.

All my mind can think about and all my body can feel is him:

Hyunseong.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hello dear readers!! I wanted to post this chapter as soon as it was finished yesterday but I didn't have network connection :(((

Sooooo... about this story, please let me know what you guys think about it, leave a comment, message or post in my wall.

Thank you for keep reading this story and giving it all your love!

 

KEEP LOVING AND SUPPORTING BOYFRIEND