Twenty Two

Shelter

When I wake up next day there is a pair of arms surrounding me and it feels so warm. Hyunseong must have lied down next to me while I was sleeping. I look outside the window and the sun is already shining brightly. What time is it??

I slowly detached myself from Hyunseong to not wake him up and look for my cellphone that is on my jacket. When I look at the hour I just sighed defeated, it is already past nine which means I missed school. Damn, I had a math test today.

“Jeong… Jeongmin” Hyunseong’s voice startles me and I turn around only to see him with his eyes closed, he must be dreaming. I go close to him and admire how beautiful he looks when he is sleeping, there is a small smile dancing on his lips which makes him look even cuter. At that point I can’t stop myself and I peck his lips lightly to not wake him up.

When I move away from him, Hyunseong seems to be still sleeping so I leave him rest on the bed and get out of the room to look for something to eat. I walk towards the kitchen but on my way there I see the captain’s door. I should really talk with him. I don’t want Hyunseong or me to get in any kind of trouble because of what he saw.

I take a deep breath and knock on the wooden door in front of me but no one answers. I try again but the room seems to be empty, I let a sigh out and keep my way towards the kitchen. I guess the captain had classes to go or something, maybe I can talk with him later on the club.

 

“Good Morning” a voice startles me and I look up to the source of it, it is the captain. He is sitting on the table having some coffee and eating some fruits. I bow slightly at him before answering “Good Morning” he gives me a weird look in response, maybe because of what happened yesterday or maybe because I have never been so respectful towards him before.

I keep walking and grab a cup to pour myself some coffee after that I sit on the table in front of him. This is the perfect time to talk with him but how do I even start?? “Excuse me…” the captain looks up at me “you know… about last night…”

The captain gives me a murderous look which makes me stay silent for a while. I can only stare at my cup of coffee in silence after that. Hyunseong is his friend but I am pretty sure that he feels disgusted by what he saw last night, right?? I bet the captain hates me now.

 “Why??” the captain’s sudden words startle me a little. “Why couldn’t you even lock the door!! Were you that freaking hurried!!” he says in an accusing tone which I really dislike. Here I was thinking about how to fix things but he is not making this easy.

“I really don’t get it, did you guys wanted to get caught or something??!!” his face is red by now and I am pretty sure he is about to snap, me on the other hand had been holding my thoughts for too long.

“Are you out of your mind??!! This is not about you, you know?? No one was thinking or you or expecting you! We were careless yes, but it is not like we planned any of it to happen in the first place!!” I let out my words fast and I am, breathing heavily by the end of them.

The captain lets a sigh out and drinks some of his coffee “I know, Hyunseong told me what happened so don’t get so worked up” another long pause invades the room. Why doesn’t he say something?? Should I say something more?? What does Hyunseong told him yesterday??

“Why Hyunseong??” the captain asks me but I really don’t get what he is talking about. “Do you… you love him??” I feel my cheeks heating up because of his question and I can only nod in silence to answer.

 “I am glad” he says, his face softening all of the sudden and a smile forming on his lips. “You know, when he first told me he thought he was in love with you I burst out laughing and thought he was playing a prank on me” he lets a sigh out “but when I saw his eyes, he had the most serious and determined look I have ever seen so I helped him to sort out his feelings”

WAIT!! WHAT!! HYUNSEONG TOLD THE CAPTAIN HOW HE FELT ABOUT ME!! WHEN?? WHY??

 

“Don’t look so surprised, he is my bestfriend after all. Who else could he talk about this with??” I nod at him and he keeps talking “I am not angry with either of you about yesterday I am just worried” he takes a sip of his coffee before saying “You know this isn’t the most accepting place towards people who are different. You can both end up hurt if the wrong person finds out about your relationship. You guys have to be more careful” he ends up saying.

I never thought the captain will be so open minded and so nice. I am sure he won’t tell anyone what he saw. He cares too much about Hyunseong to say something that might hurt him and I feel so grateful towards him, for taking care of Hyunseong in such way.

“Thank you for taking care of him, of us” I told him and he looks surprised “There is something I would like to ask you though” he looks at me with skeptical eyes and I smile “It is nothing weird so don’t worry” he smiles lightly “I know I haven’t been the most kind person to you and I was wondering if we can start over” I am willing to do this for Hyunseong, to leave my silly resentment towards the captain behind.

“Woo, love is really amazing” he says teasing me. I smile and reach my hand out to him “I am Lee Jeongmin, nice to meet you” he holds my hand and shakes it “Kim Donghyun, nice to meet you too”

 

.

.

.

 

I enter to Hyunseong’s room again after the captain is gone for his classes. It is already past 10 and the sunlight has covered the whole room, including Hyunseong’s sleeping form. The sun is bathing his skin in a beautiful way he really looks like he is shining right now.

I go closer to him and smile at his peaceful face. He looks like a little kid, a very cute one. Naturally my hands go to brush his hair softly as images of a mini Hyunseong with chubby cheeks runs through my mind. He must have been such a cute kid.

My mind jumps from his past to our future in a second. Since us both already missed school we can have the whole day to ourselves. We can lie down on the bed and do nothing the rest of the morning, maybe watch some movies on his comfy embrace and eat snacks until we can´t anymore. That really sounds like a perfect plan for me.

*ring ring* I hear my phone ringtone muffled by the thick fabric of my jacket and I leave Hyunseong’s side, running to find the noisy object and pick it up. I don’t want Hyunseong to wake up yet, I want to look at him a bit longer.

 

“Hello?” I answer the phone in a low tone.

“LEE JEONGMIN!! Where the hell are you??” my mom’s angry voice sound at the other end of the line and my plans for today are crushed in a second. I totally forgot about the school calling my parents. What am I going to do now??

I quickly open the big glass door of the room that leads to the balcony before answering “Mom, I just overslept, don’t worry so much” I do my best to sound convincing.

“It is HIS fault, isn’t it??” she asks in a disgusted tone and I feel a sting on my heart. Why is she being like this?? Why is she being so scornful towards Hyunseong??

“It wasn’t his fault mom” I say so she doesn’t blame Hyunseong. “It was actually mine. I forgot to put my alarm on” I lie and I hear an exasperated sigh coming from her.

“I don’t care whose fault it was. YOU COME HOME NOW!! ” she adds before the line goes off.

I feel anger taking over me and I hold my phone with too much strength. Why is she being like this?? She said she didn’t mind about me being with Hyunseong but it was a huge lie. It has been some time now that my mom has been treating me different. It is like she is angry at me the whole time.

 

I leave a sigh out and try to focus on something else than my mom so I look down at the sea as I remember Hyunseong’s words.

"…you never know what might be expecting you at the shore. It might be something amazing, something even better that what you have planned”

His words play on my mind and they somehow comfort me, making me smile foolishly. I look at the scenario in front of me and realize how beautiful everything looks. The sun brightening and warming everything around him, the sea blue and endless looking full of possibilities and the sky clear and calm, all together painting a perfect day.

“Hi” a whisper on my ear makes my heart beat faster as two strong warms arms capture my waist pulling me close to a broad chest and involving me in a comfortable embrace. I smile as my body relaxes at the contact but my peaceful state is soon broken when I remember last night.

 I slightly jump away from Hyunseong in embarrassment. “Hi” I answer as I turn around, a good 2 meters separating us now.

“You ok??” Hyunseong asks confused and I quickly nod at him. “Yes, just my mom. I have to go home” I explain but he looks even more confused.

“Won’t you go to school today??” I laugh at his naive words, Hyunseong can be so cute when he is clueless about something.

“Hyunseong, it is past 10 am now, none of us is going to school today” Hyunseong smiles shyly and but lets out a loud laugh. I can see on his eyes he is happy, maybe because he won’t go to school, maybe because of what almost happened yesterday or maybe because we are laughing together.

“You want me to take you home?? I’ll change in a second” he says but I don’t think it is a good idea that my mom sees me with Hyunseong today.

“Don’t worry. I’ll take the bus home” I say as fast as I can as I step into Hyunseong’s room and pick up my jacket. I walk towards the front door with Hyunseong tailing behind me, finally we reach his door step in silence.

“You don’t have to go so fast because of hyung, I am sure he is in class by now so you won’t see him, can’t you stay for a while??” Hyunseong says with hopeful eyes.

“I am not going because of Donghyun, I told you my mom wants me to go home” Hyunseong looks really surprised at me, as If I just told him I am an alien or something.

“Dong… Donghyun?? Did you just called the captain by his name?? What happened with ‘lousy captain’ ‘leader of the kids’ ‘captain donghook’ and all that??” he asks with a frown.

“I am trying to be friendly Hyunseong, is that a crime??” I cross my arms and pout. Why is he making such a fuss out of this?? I thought he would like me to be nice to the captain. I am trying to be his friend for Hyunseong after all.

Suddenly HYunseong comes closer to me and pecks my lips softly making my pout disappear. “You are adorable” he whispers on my lips before kissing me slowly, like we have the whole time on the world. I put some resistance from his lips as a way to protest for his teasing but Hyunseong doesn’t give up.

After a few seconds in which my resolve had been fading by those sweet warm and always addictive lips I give up happily and melt into Hyunseong’s embrace kissing him back as my hands travel around his hair and I pull him closer to me, as close as I can.

I might not be able to spend the whole day with him as I planned but right now, this moment on his arm is definitely worth a an eternity.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________