Thirteen

Shelter

 

I don’t know how long we stayed like this just hugging each other in silence. Enjoying every time that my body would be so pressed to Hyunseong’s that I could clearly hear his heartbeats and how he would gently my hair, making me feel so comforted.

I really want to ask him where has he been, why hasn’t he contact anyone these past days and why did he mention about leaving so many times in his texts and calls but I don’t want to break this moment.

I just want to stay involve in this pair of muscled arms as long as I can. It is amazing how being next to him feels so natural, so cozy but at the same time is so exciting and thrilling which makes my heart accelerate rapidly.

Suddenly my cellphone which I left on the bed starts ringing again. Hyunseong jolts slightly at the sound and starts to pull away from me but I hug him tighter in response, not letting him go. I am pretty sure who is calling right now and I am not going to let my dad ruin this moment for me. I close my eyes as I rest my head in Hyunseong’s shoulder, his addictive scent surrounding me.

“Jeongmin” Hyunseong’s words break the comfortable silence we have been in.

“Hmm” I hum in response as I go closer to his nape where the natural smell of Hyunseong is stronger, so sweet and fresh.

“You are not going to answer??” he asks in a soft voice and I shake my head on his shoulder like saying no. “Are you sure?” he asks again and I lift my head to look at him.

“I won’t pick up, it is my dad” I tell him while letting go of him and sitting on the bed to search for my phone. Finally I find it and change the profile so the sound is off.

Hyunseong sits next to me on the bed and puts his hand above mine, holding it with such care as if it is made of glass, making me feel flustered all of the sudden “Is there something wrong? Did you have a fight with him?” he asks genuinely concerned and I shake my head.

“Well, when the captain called me earlier saying you were missing I kind of …” Damn, how do I say it so it doesn’t sound so embarrassing?? I can’t tell him that I ran out of the school like a crazy person. “ … I left school so I can help find you” my voice just a whisper while I stare at the floor.

“You skipped school?? Because of me??” he asks and I only look at the floor. I hear Hyunseong sighing deeply and suddenly his hand leaves mine, the heat that was coming from it also gone. Damn, this is so awkward.

“I am sorry, this is my fault” What?? His fault?? “I shouldn’t have left without saying anything. I was planning to talk with the captain tonight” he mumbles like talking to himself. “You have to go home. I will tell your parents it was my fault” he says and stands up abruptly from the bed.

Go home?? Now?? No way!! I want to know what happened with him these weeks. Where was he?? He said he left but where?? I finally turn around to look at Hyunseong and he looks sad. “Your parents must be really worried, you have to go home”

I know why Hyunseong wants me to go home, family is really important to him and he wants me to have a good relationship with my parents but I don’t want be apart from him. I WANT TO STAY CLOSE TO HIM!!

“I want to stay with you” the words blurt out of my mouth before I could stop them. WAIT!! Did I seriously just say that??  Damn!! I sound like a girl right now. Seriously Hyunseong, what are you doing to me??

Hyunseong eyes which looked sad lit up with my words and a little smile plays on his lips. I smile in return and I stare into his eyes for a little while. “Me too” Hyunseong says while blushing. So cute! He looks so cute when he looks embarrassed like this. “But you can’t make your parents worry like that. I will walk you home” he insists.

“Ok, I will go home but with one condition” Hyunseong looks at me confused but he nods in response. “Tell me what happened, why did you disappear all of the sudden??”

 

.

.

.

 

Finally, we are standing in front of my house. I sigh, I seriously don’t want to go into that house. I feel my hand being lightly pressed as Hyunseong tightens the grip he has on my hand as a sign of reassurance. He nods slightly and takes a step forward.

“I will go by myself” I tell him before he goes closer to the doorstep. Hyunseong looks confused at me. “You have a lot of things to deal with. I will be fine, they are my parents after all” I smile at him. “Jeongmin, are you sure??” he asks worried but I nod at him in response.

“Let me know how everything goes, ok?” he says staring into my eyes and caressing my cheek softly. I immediately blush because of his closeness and thank God because there seem to be no people on the streets today.

Hyunseong comes closer to me and I open my eyes in surprise. What is he doing?? Is he planning to kiss me openly on the street?? In front of my house?? What?? DO SOMETHING JEONGMIN!! YOU CAN’T LET THIS HAPPEN!! WHY AREN’T YOU MOVING AWAY??

Unfortunately my heart is beating so fast I can barely keep standing, less move away from Hyunseong so I just keep in place and close my eyes waiting for his lips. Soft and warm lips are pressed against my forehead and I open my eyes at the contact.

Hyunseong is blushing but smiling openly at me. “Take care, ok?” I nod at his words because I am suddenly speechless. I just wave goodbye at him as he turns around and starts walking away. I let a big sigh let out of my lips and I face my house.

I take slow but confident steps. It may sound silly but right now I feel like I can face an army by myself, like I can do anything I want to. I feel stupidly strong and invincible. And it is all because of him, because of a simple kiss. Damn, I am so lost!! I am totally in love with Hyunseong.

As soon as I open the door I hear hurried footsteps coming my way and I see my mom coming out of the kitchen looking at me with an unreadable expression. “LEE JEONGMIN!! WHERE WERE YOU?? WHY DID YOU LEFT SCHOOL LIKE THAT?? DO YOU KNOW YOUR DAD WAS CALLING YOU LIKE CRAZY??” I look at the floor waiting for her to stop yelling.

“DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW EMBARRASED I WAS WHEN YOUR TECAHER CALLED ME?? I HAD TO CALL YOUR DAD WHILE HE WAS IN A MEETING!!” she finally stops and I see her feet moving towards the coach and she sits down on it. “JEONGMIN, TALK!!” She startles me and I look up to stare at her.

Her face is slightly red because of all the yelling and she looks angry but her eyes are watery, like she is about to cry. What is going on?? Why is she like that??

Before I can answer I hear the door opening right behind me and slamming hard after a few seconds. I cringe slightly because I perfectly know who it is. My dad, he is here.

 

“YOU!! YOU!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??” I feel my arm being pulled hardly and face my dad. “WHY DID YOU LEFT SCHOOL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY??” his voice is so loud I am sure the neighbors can hear us.

“DON’T JUST STAND THERE!! ANSWER ME!!” he raises his voice even more and I notice the crazy look he has in his eyes. I better answer him before he reaches his limit and snaps.

“I left because I had to help a friend” apparently the confidence hasn’t left me yet because my voice didn’t waver while talking to my dad.

“ARE YOU JOKING WITH ME?? HELP A FRIEND?? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??”

“I can’t tell you exactly what problem he had because is a family thing” after my words my dad’s eyes widen and he looks really angry. I gulp and wait for whatever he is about to do or say.

“I KNEW IT!! I KNEW THAT KID MEANT TROUBLE WHEN HE STARTED HANGING AROUND YOU!! THIS IS ALL THAT SHIM BRAT’S FAULT!!” I stay frozen at my dad’s words. How did he know I was talking about Hyunseong??

“HE GOT YOU DRAGED INTO HIS FAMILY ISSUES!! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT TYPE OF PERSONS THAT FAMILY IS?? DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW HE REALLY IS??” my dad’s words are so full of scorn that I am starting to get angry.

“He is an amazing person” I say gritting my teeth.

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?? ARE YOU DEFENDING THAT BRAT??”

“OF COURSE I AM DEFENDING HIM. HE IS MY BESTFRIEND!!” I yell back at my dad for the first time in my life and I have to say it feels good, scary but good.

My dad looks at me surprised from head to toe but soon his anger is back. “HE IS AN INMORAL PERSON!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! BUT WELL, WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING OF HIM IF HIS PARENTS ARE AS IMMORAL AS HE IS??”

“STOP!! STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM!!” I yell at my dad in a defiant tone of voice and he just looks at me amused.

“HER MOM CHEATED ON HIS DAD REAPEATEDLY AFTER SHE CAUGHT HIM WITH THE NANNY!! THE WHOLE TOWN KNEW ABOUT IT AND AFTER THAT SHE REMARRIED WITH THE MAN SHE CHEATED ON. WHAT KIND OF PERSON DOES SOMETHING LIKE THAT??"

What is he talking about?? Hyunseong’s parents, is that the reason why they got a divorce?? Is this true?? Hyunseong, did you have to go through that alone??

“LOOK AT YOUR FACE! SO YOU DIDN’T KNOW THAT ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS BESTFRIEND?? AND THAT IS NOTHING, REALLY HOW CAN YOU BE FRIENDS WITH A LIKE HIM??”

What?? ?? Did he just say Hyunseong is a ?? My surprise is quickly replaced with anger. I can feel it, a strong rush going through my body at speed light, a feeling so strong that I have to close my hands into fist so it doesn’t make me tremble.

“SHUT UP!! SHUT UP!! YOU DON’T KNOW HIM!! STOP TALKING BAD ABOUT HIM!!” tears have formed at the corner of my eyes and I am ready to punch my dad if he dares to say anything else about Hyunseong!!

“HOW DARE YOU?? I DIDN’T RAISE A SON TO ANSWER ME LIKE THIS!!” In a second my dad’s hand is up in the air, coming to hit my face in a quick movement. I stay in place and keep looking at him, even if he hits me a thousand times there is no way I am going to let him insult Hyunseong!!

Before I can react my mom is blocking me from my dad and …

 

*Slap*

 

“MOM!!” I move closer to her and notice her cheek as red as a tomato. “Mom, are you ok??” I ask and she nods lightly holding her sore cheek. Anger invades me for the second time and I turn to look for the cause of my mother’s pain, my dad.

My dad looks so scared, he is standing there staring at my mom with guilt written all over his face but I don’t care. I go closer to him and push him, making him fall to the ground. He doesn’t react at all, he still has the same expression.

I am about to punch him when I hear my mom’s voice “JEONGMIN!!” She looks sad, hurt, broken. I have never seen her like this before. This is all my dad’s fault!! “JEONGMIN!! STOP IT, GO TO YOUR ROOM” she yells at me. “But he…” I try to talk but my voice breaks. “GO TO YOUR ROOM, NOW!!” 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________