One

Shelter

 

Kendo. Kendo. Kendo. All my parents can think about is Kendo. I am so sick of it.

 

My parents own the district’s most prestigious Kendo club. The Sejong Kendo Club. The club is well ranked in the federation and it has a prominent future.  Me, as the son of the family must direct the club next but there is just one problem. I HATE KENDO.

My dad tried to make me do Kendo since I was little but I at it and even though he knew that too he kept pushing me. When I was twelve he finally gave up on me and decided that if I couldn’t be the captain of the club I could at least administrate it.

After that he left me alone and I could finally focus on what I love, music. Playing the piano or the guitar, writing some rhythms or just singing a simple melody, Music is what I have been doing for the past four years and the only thing I want to do for the rest of my life.

Everything has been good and pretty peaceful until this morning.

“Jeongmin, since today you have to go to the club every day after school” my dad enters to the kitchen with his newspaper in hand.

“What??” I almost spit my milk when my dad talked to me. “What do you mean??”

“I think is about time you get involved in the business. I want you to learn everything about the club and since the season of tournaments will start in a few months there is no better moment” he opens his newspaper after his statement.

“But I am part of the school’s music club. We meet after class everyday”

“It is about time you forget about the music thing besides I am not asking if you want to do it Jeongmin” He says in his characteristic tone that pretty much means IT IS AN ORDER. There are a lot of things that my dad doesn’t like and one of those is me not doing exactly as he says.

Before I can argue back he is gone and I am left alone. I sigh and head to school. I know what will happen if I don’t do what he wants he will probably break my guitar. I can’t let that happen but what do I do with music club? I don’t want to quit.

I have two choices now. One, I can do as my dad says, save me a lot of trouble and leave music for a while or I can stand up for what I want for once and keep doing the music that I love not caring about the consequences of telling this to my dad.

.

 

.

 

.

 

Without realizing school has already finished. I stare at the clock: 4pm, time to go. Instead of running out of the classroom as the other students I stay on my seat. I still haven’t decided what I am going to do.

“Jeongmin-ssi??” I hear my name and see a tall tough looking guy standing at the door of my classroom. Do I know this guy??

 “Who are you??” This guy doesn’t look much older than me, he must be one year older top. He has straight black hair with bangs that cover his eyebrows.

“I am Shim Hyunseong” the guy says and bows briefly before getting inside the classroom. “The Captain sent me to you the club for today’s practice”

me?? What the hell? Am I a girl or something?? And what is up with this guy being so polite and formal?? Weird, just weird. The Captain of the Kendo Club, I know that fellow very well. If we would have meet in other circumstances we would have been good friends.

“So he basically sent you to force me to go to the practice. I am sure my stupid father told him to do that” the guy named Hyunseong blinks in disbelief at my honest words. “Too bad. I already have plans so tell both of them I can’t make it”

I stand up of my seat and start gathering my stuffs to get out of there. This is freaking unbelievable, my dad actually made someone came all the way to my school to make sure I go to the practice. So according to my dad I don’t have the right to choose, I can only do as he wants even if he has to force me to it. I don’t know why I am even surprised.

“Please Jeongmin-ssi. Let’s go to the practice” I turn around and see the guy still standing there. His tough look contrasts with his polite words. It is funny but still weird.

“Sorry but I am not going” I go closer and stand in front of him. Damn, he is taller than I thought. “It doesn’t matter what you do. I won’t go” I give him a smirk before leaving the classroom. What was my dad thinking?? And what about the captain, did he think I will flinch because of that tough looking guy??

“Jeongmin-ssi, please come with me to the practice” I hear the guy’s voice right behind me. I turn around and there he is just staring at me. “I already told you I am not going” I am hissing right now but I don’t care. This will be my last warning if he keeps pushing me I am going to snap at him.

I keep walking and get out of the building where my classroom is located to head to the auditorium for music club. I keep turning around from time to time to check if the tough looking guy is following but I don’t see him anymore. I relaxed a bit and keep my way.

“I am sorry Jeongmin-ssi but I have to take you to the practice” my eyes look up and I see the guy blocking the auditorium’s door. You have got to be kidding me!!

“Hey, move!! I have to get in” I try to push him off but he is as planted as a tree.

“Sorry but I have to take you no matter what” with those words he takes a hold of my waist and carries me on his shoulder as if I am a kid.

“Hey!! Put me down” “Put me down!!” I yell at him but he doesn’t flinch. I try to hit his chest with my knees but he soon captures them, making me unable to move them. Damn, he is too strong but I just can’t lose like this.

“You bastard!! Put me down!! Now!!” I just keep yelling at him all the way from my school to the Kendo Club but he doesn’t answer me. He doesn’t flinch nor looks tired for carrying me.

Finally we arrive to the place I hate the most the Sejong Kendo Club.

.

 

.

 

.

 

After two months or so of being escorted by Hyunseong to the Kendo Club every day after class and missing music club I decide to make an arrangement with the Captain. I will go to Kendo practice on my own and he promises not tell my dad about me going to music club before it.

So I am finally back at music club and as soon as I step in the auditorium filled with beautiful sounds I smile happily. I have missed it so much. After just one hour I have to leave to the Kendo practice. I give an apologetic look to my teacher and he gives me a knowingly one.

Of course I have told him all about my stupid father and what he orders me to do. My teacher was very kind about it and told me not to worry, that I could come to the club whenever I can. Kim Hyung Soo seongsaenim has always been a nice person.

I step out of the auditorium and I am surprised to see Hyunseong standing there. “I can’t believe it. He sent you?? I do take upon my word, you know” Does that lousy captain doesn’t trust my word?? What does he take me for??

“No one sent me” Hyunseong says in an oddly shy tone. I stare at him for a while. He doesn’t look as tough anymore. Wait!! Is that a blush on his face??

“Then why are you here??” This is weird. Why is he here if he is not supposed to me anymore??

“I guess I am used to coming here to pick you up by now Jeongmin-ssi” his heart-shaped lips curl into a smile. Now that I think about it is the first time I am seeing him smile.

Hyunseong’s smile grows wider on his face and it is as if the whole room lifts up with that smile.

 

I don’t know why but I smile at him in return